RogueValleyForum.com
Music - Printable Version

+- RogueValleyForum.com (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: The Lounge (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=68)
+--- Forum: The Lounge (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=22)
+--- Thread: Music (/showthread.php?tid=1626)

RE: Music - Cuzz - 08-16-2016

(08-15-2016, 10:10 PM)cletus1 Wrote:
(08-15-2016, 01:17 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(08-15-2016, 09:54 AM)cletus1 Wrote:
(08-13-2016, 12:28 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(08-13-2016, 06:39 AM)cletus1 Wrote: The similarities in their singing style and voices did not occur to me untill you posted this. This is probably my favorite Mark Knopfler song.

No way Surprised Surprised That's better than The Sultans of swing?

Actually it is. The guitar and timing in the Brothers In Arms song is clean. The song is also soulful. Sultans of Swing has a carnival quality only a teenybopper would like.  Laughing

LOL you are out of your fucking gourd.. teenyboppers?  At first I thought you don't GET IT because you don't play guitar. But no because you must be the only person I've EVER known who didn't love that song.

[/url]
Reception

Critical reception to the track was universally positive. Ken Tucker of [url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolling_Stone]Rolling Stone
singled out "Sultans of Swing" as a highlight of the album for its "inescapable hook" and compared Knopfler's vocal stylings to that of Bob Dylan.[24] The New Rolling Stone Album Guide called the song "an insinuating bit of bar-band mythmaking" whose lyrics "paint a vivid picture of an overlooked and underappreciated pub combo".[25] The Spokane Chronicle's Jim Kershner wrote that "Sultans of Swing" is "remarkable, both for its lyrics that made fun of hip young Londoners and the phenomenal guitar sound of Knopfler", which "sounded like no other guitar on radio".[26] Jon Marlowe of The Palm Beach Post called it "an infectious, sounds-damn-good-on-the-car-radio ode to every bar band who has ever done four sets a night, seven nights a week".[27]

100 Greatest Guitar Solos: No. 22 "Sultans of Swing" (Mark Knopfler)

http://www.guitarworld.com/100-greatest-guitar-solos-no-22-sultans-swing-mark-knopfler

Now, now, don't get carried away. I really like Sultans of Swing, just not as much as Brothers in Arms. And I apologize for the derogatory comment about the carnival sound only a teenybopper would like. I was just trying to give my favorite Dire Straits song a shout out. You are correct; I do not play guitar, but I do have ears.  Wink

I really liked "Sultans of Swing" but I've heard it too many times by now. If I had to pick a favorite Mark Knopfler song now, that wouldn't be it.

RE: Music - tvguy - 08-16-2016

(08-15-2016, 10:10 PM)cletus1 Wrote:
(08-15-2016, 01:17 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(08-15-2016, 09:54 AM)cletus1 Wrote:
(08-13-2016, 12:28 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(08-13-2016, 06:39 AM)cletus1 Wrote: The similarities in their singing style and voices did not occur to me untill you posted this. This is probably my favorite Mark Knopfler song.

No way Surprised Surprised That's better than The Sultans of swing?

Actually it is. The guitar and timing in the Brothers In Arms song is clean. The song is also soulful. Sultans of Swing has a carnival quality only a teenybopper would like.  Laughing

LOL you are out of your fucking gourd.. teenyboppers?  At first I thought you don't GET IT because you don't play guitar. But no because you must be the only person I've EVER known who didn't love that song.

[/url]
Reception

Critical reception to the track was universally positive. Ken Tucker of [url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolling_Stone]Rolling Stone
singled out "Sultans of Swing" as a highlight of the album for its "inescapable hook" and compared Knopfler's vocal stylings to that of Bob Dylan.[24] The New Rolling Stone Album Guide called the song "an insinuating bit of bar-band mythmaking" whose lyrics "paint a vivid picture of an overlooked and underappreciated pub combo".[25] The Spokane Chronicle's Jim Kershner wrote that "Sultans of Swing" is "remarkable, both for its lyrics that made fun of hip young Londoners and the phenomenal guitar sound of Knopfler", which "sounded like no other guitar on radio".[26] Jon Marlowe of The Palm Beach Post called it "an infectious, sounds-damn-good-on-the-car-radio ode to every bar band who has ever done four sets a night, seven nights a week".[27]

100 Greatest Guitar Solos: No. 22 "Sultans of Swing" (Mark Knopfler)

http://www.guitarworld.com/100-greatest-guitar-solos-no-22-sultans-swing-mark-knopfler

Now, now, don't get carried away. I really like Sultans of Swing, just not as much as Brothers in Arms. And I apologize for the derogatory comment about the carnival sound only a teenybopper would like. I was just trying to give my favorite Dire Straits song a shout out. You are correct; I do not play guitar, but I do have ears.  Wink

RE: Music - tvguy - 08-16-2016

Cletus...Now, now, don't get carried away. I really like Sultans of Swing, just not as much as Brothers in Arms. And I apologize for the derogatory comment about the carnival sound only a teenybopper would like. I was just trying to give my favorite Dire Straits song a shout out. You are correct; I do not play guitar, but I do have ears.  Wink

Laughing Laughing  I bought a guitar yesterday. The guy I bought it from mentioned Knophler. I told him what you said  about the carnival sound of Sultans of swing only a teenybopper would like and he said your were crazy Laughing Laughing

But yeah it's been played to death that for sure. But not as much as Aqua lung. I want to open my own radio station and play aqualung non stop 24 hours a day. Just to see what happens.

RE: Music - cletus1 - 08-23-2016

I can't skip the commercials in any of her videos. I wonder if you get paid more by the advertisers if you don't allow ads to be skipped. 

RE: Music - tvguy - 08-23-2016

(08-23-2016, 03:19 PM)cletus1 Wrote: I can't skip the commercials in any of her videos. I wonder if you get paid more by the advertisers if you don't allow ads to be skipped. 

I'm not refined enough for that Razz

RE: Music - chuck white - 08-24-2016

(08-23-2016, 03:56 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(08-23-2016, 03:19 PM)cletus1 Wrote: I can't skip the commercials in any of her videos. I wonder if you get paid more by the advertisers if you don't allow ads to be skipped. 

I'm not refined enough for that Razz

I was going to play that at my job, but we have a policy against work place violins.

RE: Music - GPnative - 08-24-2016

Speaking of music, In case anyone is wondering, you really can stand on the corner in Winslow Arizona, they even have a flat bed Ford parked there.
If you have to ask what the hell I'm talking about...well, Take it easy.

Standin' on the corner

RE: Music - cletus1 - 08-24-2016

(08-24-2016, 02:22 PM)XGPnative Wrote: Speaking of music, In case anyone is wondering, you really can stand on the corner in Winslow Arizona, they even have a flat bed Ford parked there.

Standin' on the corner

Milking that corner for all it's worth.

RE: Music - GPnative - 08-24-2016

(08-24-2016, 02:40 PM)cletus1 Wrote:
(08-24-2016, 02:22 PM)XGPnative Wrote: Speaking of music, In case anyone is wondering, you really can stand on the corner in Winslow Arizona, they even have a flat bed Ford parked there.

Standin' on the corner

Indeed. I hear it's a very popular spot for Route 66'ers.

RE: Music - cletus1 - 08-24-2016

(08-24-2016, 02:43 PM)GPnative Wrote:

Standin' on the corner

If I stand on that corner, what are the odds that a girl in a flat bed Ford will slow down to take a look at me. I give it like 1 to 9 odds of it happening.

RE: Music - tvguy - 08-24-2016

(08-24-2016, 02:56 PM)cletus1 Wrote:
(08-24-2016, 02:43 PM)GPnative Wrote:

Standin' on the corner

If I stand on that corner, what are the odds that a girl in a flat bed Ford will slow down to take a look at me. I give it like 1 to 9 odds of it happening.

What are the odds that a girl in a flatbed ford would ever even go by?

That reminds me. My friend used to say only fat chicks drove Camaro's . It's just too funny how often that was true.

RE: Music - tvguy - 08-24-2016

"Standing on the the corner"  For me the first thing that came to mind was "Sweet Jane"

Standing on the corner, suitcase in my hand
Jack is in his corset, Jane is in her vest
And me, I'm in a rock'n'roll band
Ridin'a stutz bearcat, Jim

RE: Music - bbqboy - 08-24-2016

Poets studied rules of verse,
And all the ladies rolled their eyes...

RE: Music - cletus1 - 08-26-2016

P

RE: Music - cletus1 - 08-28-2016

RE: Music - Cuzz - 08-28-2016

RE: Music - cletus1 - 08-28-2016

(08-28-2016, 10:47 AM)Cuzz Wrote:

Thank you very much. Enjoy your Sunday.

RE: Music - cletus1 - 08-29-2016

I'm going to play this song over and over again. It's the cure. 

RE: Music - cletus1 - 09-06-2016

I can't get this song outta my head.

RE: Music - Wonky3 - 09-06-2016

(09-06-2016, 02:17 PM)cletus1 Wrote:

I can't get this song outta my head.

I could do that for you!  Razz. (You might want to bring lots of REALLY good stuff for pain)