RogueValleyForum.com
Music - Printable Version

+- RogueValleyForum.com (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: The Lounge (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=68)
+--- Forum: The Lounge (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=22)
+--- Thread: Music (/showthread.php?tid=1626)

RE: Music - tvguy - 09-29-2014

(09-27-2014, 09:16 AM)Wonky3 Wrote: Cuzz, I'm a fan of the "mouth harp" too. That's a good album! (Was not familiar with the group)

That was some good musicBig Grin

But "mouth harp"? This is a mouth harp...[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS_fsiDUu62PBe1hkmiPzp...MrY-YIo1sg]

RE: Music - Big Rock - 09-29-2014

I used to go to a lot of concerts. Some of them were very cool and some were too packaged or disappointing because they were just boring. Some were overhyped and some were surprisingly fun. Here's a few:

Cool
Freddie King opened for The Steve Miller Band - Auditorium Theater, Chicago, early-seventies
Grin (Nils Lofgren) opened for The J. Geils Band - Auditorium Theater, Chicago, early-seventies
Rory Gallagher opened for Bachman Turner Overdrive - St. Paul Civic Center Arena, mid-seventies
Grateful Dead - St. Paul Civic Center Arena, May 11, 1977
John McLaughlin - Saint-Jean-de-Luz, France, 1978
Albert King - Keystone, Berkeley, 1980
Alice In Chains opened for The Screaming Trees - Bumbershoot, Seattle, early nineties

Disappointing
Bob Dylan and The Band - Chicago Stadium, 1974
Bad Company opened for The Edgar Winter Group - The Forum, Inglewood, 1975
Jeff Beck opened for Mahavishnu Orchestra - Shrine Auditorium, 1975

(09-29-2014, 03:11 PM)Big Rock Wrote: I used to go to a lot of concerts. Some of them were very cool and some were too packaged or disappointing because they were just boring. Some were overhyped and some were surprisingly fun. Here's a few:

Cool
Freddie King opened for The Steve Miller Band - Auditorium Theater, Chicago, early-seventies
Grin (Nils Lofgren) opened for The J. Geils Band - Auditorium Theater, Chicago, early-seventies
Rory Gallagher opened for Bachman Turner Overdrive - St. Paul Civic Center Arena, mid-seventies
Alice In Chains opened for The Screaming Trees - Bumbershoot, Seattle, early nineties

Disappointing

Rory Gallagher.. yes yes. An amazing and under rated talent. I never saw him liveSad

I did see Albert and Freddy King live. I think both times they were opening for someone.

RE: Music - Big Rock - 09-29-2014

(09-29-2014, 03:25 PM)tvguy Wrote: Rory Gallagher.. yes yes. An amazing and under rated talent. I never saw him liveSad

I did see Albert and Freddy King live. I think both times they were opening for someone.

Yeah, I passed on an opportunity to see Albert Collins once. I always figured I'd see him at some point, but I never did. I also missed an opportunity to see Johnny Winter in 1980 in a small club. Those are my two biggest misses, I think.

It was nuts that Rory Gallagher was warming up for BTO. Rory was great. It was short set, though. He didn't have any hits, so the crowd of mostly young teenage boys was not interested.

I saw Albert King in a bar. It was amazing. He yelled at his band several times (off mic). I couldn't hear what he was mad about. They sounded great to me.

(09-29-2014, 03:36 PM)Big Rock Wrote:
(09-29-2014, 03:25 PM)tvguy Wrote: Rory Gallagher.. yes yes. An amazing and under rated talent. I never saw him liveSad

Yeah, I passed on an opportunity to see Albert Collins once. I always figured I'd see him at some point, but I never did. I also missed an opportunity to see Johnny Winter in 1980 in a small club. Those are my two biggest misses, I think.

It was nuts that Rory Gallagher was warming up for BTO. Rory was great. It was short set, though. He didn't have any hits, so the crowd of mostly young teenage boys was not interested.

I saw Albert King in a bar. It was amazing. He yelled at his band several times (off mic). I couldn't hear what he was mad about. They sounded great to me.

Johnny Winter was awesome. I saw him in GP at the Rogue. He took a long time to warm up but he did and he was still amazing.

RE: Music - Wonky3 - 09-29-2014

(09-29-2014, 02:38 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(09-27-2014, 09:16 AM)Wonky3 Wrote: Cuzz, I'm a fan of the "mouth harp" too. That's a good album! (Was not familiar with the group)

But "mouth harp"? This is a mouth harp...[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS_fsiDUu62PBe1hkmiPzp...MrY-YIo1sg]

Well actually, that is a Jew's harp. Embarrassed

(09-29-2014, 03:59 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:

Yes that's one name and the one I've always heard but a mouth harp is a common name for it also. I've just never heard anyone call a harmonica a "mouth harp".
I had one once. I couldn't mange to do anything with it. As far as I'm concerned no one else can eitherLaughing
The one I had hurt my teeth.

(09-29-2014, 04:28 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(09-29-2014, 03:59 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:

Yes that's one name and the one I've always heard but a mouth harp is a common name for it also. I've just never heard anyone call a harmonica a "mouth harp".
I had one once. I couldn't mange to do anything with it. As far as I'm concerned no one else can eitherLaughing
The one I had hurt my teeth.

Well, just for the sake of keeping a silly threat going, I misspoke.
I should have referred to it as a "mouth organ".

From Wiki:
The harmonica, also French harp, blues harp, and mouth organ,[1] is a free reed wind instrument used worldwide in many musical genres, notably in blues, American folk music, jazz, country, and rock and roll. There are many types of harmonica, including diatonic, chromatic, tremolo, octave, orchestral, and bass versions. A harmonica is played by using the mouth (lips and/or tongue) to direct air into and out of one or more holes along a mouthpiece. Behind the holes are chambers containing at least one reed. A harmonica reed is a flat elongated spring typically made of brass, stainless steel, or bronze, which is secured at one end over a slot that serves as an airway. When the free end is made to vibrate by the player's air, it alternately blocks and unblocks the airway to produce sound.

RE: Music - cletus1 - 09-29-2014

(09-29-2014, 03:11 PM)Big Rock Wrote: I used to go to a lot of concerts. Some of them were very cool and some were too packaged or disappointing because they were just boring. Some were overhyped and some were surprisingly fun. Here's a few:

Cool

Disappointing

Wow! You have seen way more live concerts during that era than me.

Concerts that I have attended in after 2006 include the following and a few of those multiple times.

Dave Mathews
Further (the remaining Grateful Dead)
Michael Franti
Bod Dylan and John Cougar Mellencamp
Sarah McLaughlin
Tool
Carlos Santana and rod Stewart (I went for Santana not Rod Stewart)
Peter Tosh
Lots of Reggae bands

Sons of the pioneers.

Al Jolson

Jonny Ray

Little Jimmy Dickens

Patti Page

Laughing

RE: Music - GPnative - 09-30-2014

Saw these guys in concert somewhere around 1994 at an all day music festival with lots of big name headliner acts at the time. I had never heard of them but w/ the lead singer being blind it was an act I wanted to check out (they were on a side stage if I remember correctly) Ended up being my favorite of the day, they put on one helluva show.

Couple of videos from the album they were promoting at the time (that of course became part of my eclectic music collection)

RE: Music - cletus1 - 10-02-2014

I know I have a reputation for drinking beer, but it is nothing compared to my friends in this band. Watch it, you won't regret it. Big Grin

RE: Music - Valuesize - 10-02-2014

I don't regret it. You have any other tunes you like of theirs?

(10-02-2014, 07:08 PM)Valuesize Wrote: I don't regret it. You have any other tunes you like of theirs?
They are a Portland band. Big Grin

Do you recognize anything or anyone?

(10-02-2014, 08:21 PM)cletus1 Wrote:
(10-02-2014, 07:08 PM)Valuesize Wrote: I don't regret it. You have any other tunes you like of theirs?

The Portlandia dude?

(10-02-2014, 08:30 PM)Valuesize Wrote:

The Portlandia dude?
Big Grin ya ya

(10-02-2014, 08:52 PM)cletus1 Wrote:

The Portlandia dude?
Big Grin ya ya

He and Seinfeld were hitting some food carts a few days ago.

RE: Music - Wonky3 - 10-03-2014

(10-02-2014, 09:06 PM)Valuesize Wrote:
(10-02-2014, 08:52 PM)cletus1 Wrote:

The Portlandia dude?
Big Grin ya ya

He and Seinfeld were hitting some food carts a few days ago.

So...they should be getting around to the "soup Nazi" soon.

NO SOUP FOR YOU!

RE: Music - Valuesize - 10-03-2014

(10-03-2014, 08:33 AM)Wonky3 Wrote: So...they should be getting around to the "soup Nazi" soon.

NO SOUP FOR YOU!

I think they are in Portland doing stuff for this. Some of it's pretty funny.

http://comediansincarsgettingcoffee.com/