RogueValleyForum.com
Music - Printable Version

+- RogueValleyForum.com (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: The Lounge (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=68)
+--- Forum: The Lounge (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=22)
+--- Thread: Music (/showthread.php?tid=1626)

RE: Music - Big Rock - 03-05-2015

RE: Music - Wonky3 - 03-14-2015

You don't have to enjoy Country music.

You don't have to be a Glen Campbell fan.

But as you may have heard, Glen Campbell is suffering from Alzheimer's disease and before it advanced "too far" he recorded this. It makes me weepy, one of the most moving lyrics ever, to my mind.

You are not missing us Mr. Campbell, but we mis you. I may "never get to Phoenix".

RE: Music - Valuesize - 03-18-2015

I saw this on Palladia TV last night. We used to put a lot of bands in the Avalon, good to see it's still going strong.

RE: Music - tvguy - 03-18-2015

(03-14-2015, 12:43 PM)Wonky3 Wrote: You don't have to be a Glen Campbell fan.

But as you may have heard, Glen Campbell is suffering from Alzheimer's disease and before it advanced "too far" he recorded this. It makes me weepy, one of the most moving lyrics ever, to my mind.

You are not missing us Mr. Campbell, but we mis you. I may "never get to Phoenix".

Here is the same song with video. A little more interesting except for the idiotic water commercial at the beginning. He still sings pretty damn good for being 78 years old.

"You don't have to enjoy Country music." Well yes because it's not country music Smiling
Pretty nice Wonky.

RE: Music - Valuesize - 03-20-2015

This is a band I just discovered on Palladia TV this evening. No imitation music here.....

RE: Music - Snail - 03-21-2015

(03-20-2015, 08:18 PM)Valuesize Wrote: This is a band I just discovered on Palladia TV this evening. No imitation music here.....

I like it. Smiling

RE: Music - Cuzz - 03-21-2015

(03-20-2015, 08:18 PM)Valuesize Wrote: This is a band I just discovered on Palladia TV this evening. No imitation music here.....

Yep... that's the real thing. Cool

RE: Music - Cuzz - 03-21-2015

nothing to say...

RE: Music - Scrapper - 03-22-2015

(03-21-2015, 12:25 PM)Cuzz Wrote: nothing to say...

Certain parts of their harmony gives me goosebumps! Thumbs Up I like it!

RE: Music - tvguy - 03-22-2015

Does anyone watch American idol? He does a much better version he did later on the show but it's not on youtube.

RE: Music - Scrapper - 03-22-2015

(03-22-2015, 03:26 PM)tvguy Wrote: Does anyone watch American idol? He does a much better version he did later on the show but it's not on youtube.

Yes, he's one of my favorites.

RE: Music - Valuesize - 04-08-2015

RE: Music - cletus1 - 04-09-2015

Hi Valuesize. Smiling

Yeah, a moment of Peace.

Amelia Brightman is amazing. I found it on a video about Yemen which I will post in the random video thread.

RE: Music - tornado - 04-09-2015

I have this song on vinyl.
http://news.yahoo.com/american-pie-lyrics-sell-1-2-million-york-150535182.html

New York (AFP) - The original manuscript of Don McLean's enigmatic hit song "American Pie" sold at auction in New York on Tuesday for $1.2 million, Christie's said.

The 18 pages of manuscript, written in 1970-71 in pencil, ink and typescript on 17 sheets, had been expected to fetch between $1 and $1.5 million at the auction house. Christie's said the buyer was anonymous.

McLean, 69, said he wanted to release the lyrics to help people understand the true meaning of the song, which depicts turbulent upheavals of the latter half of the 20th century.

"It was an indescribable photograph of America that I tried to capture in words and music," he said in February in the Christie's catalog.

"I would say to young songwriters who are starting out to immerse yourself in beautiful music and beautiful lyrics, and think about every word you say in a song."

The song was initially inspired by his memories of being a paperboy in 1959 and learning of the death of Buddy Holly, it also represents a changing America from the brightness of the 1950s to darker 1960s.
View gallery
The original manuscript of Don McLean's enigmatic …
The original manuscript of Don McLean's enigmatic hit song "American Pie" sold at auct …

The phrase "the day the music died" was long known to refer to the 1959 plane crash that killed rock 'n' roll pioneers Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens and J.P. "Big Bopper" Richardson.

But in an interview with Christie's, McLean revealed the hidden meaning of the song's six verses, over which music enthusiasts had long agonized.

"Basically, in 'American Pie' things are heading in the wrong direction. It is becoming less ideal, less idyllic. I don't know whether you consider that wrong or right, but it is a morality song in a sense," he said.

"I was around in 1970 and now I am around in 2015... there is no poetry and very little romance in anything anymore, so it is really like the last phase of 'American Pie'," he added.

The phrase "the day the music died" was long known to refer to the 1959 plane crash that k …

McLean also explained the writing process, saying that ages after he had the words "bye, bye miss American pie," the chorus came to him suddenly while out shopping in a pharmacy in Cold Spring, New York.

"I drove as fast as I could back home -- I didn't have a pencil and paper with me -- and scribbled that down and put it in the tape recorder."

Some initial ideas were also dropped as the song set the tone for his second album also called "American Pie" and which was a runaway success.

"So it had to be about a lot of subtle things. It had to be about America, nature and loss, and love, and a whole bunch of things, and other things wouldn't fit," he said.

The song was inducted into the Grammy Hall of Fame and named the fifth greatest song of the 20th century by the Recording Industry of America and the National Endowment of the Arts.

The other four were "Over the Rainbow," "White Christmas," "This Land is Your Land" by Woody Guthrie and "Respect" by Otis Redding.

Born in 1945, McLean was brought up in New Rochelle, New York and moved to New York city as a young troubadour in 1964 after dropping out of college.

He released his first album "Tapestry" in 1970.

Tom Lecky, head of books and manuscripts at Christie's, said it was the third highest sale price at auction for an American literary manuscript.

"This result is a testament to the creative genius of Don McLean and to the song’s ability to still engage and inspire," he said.

RE: Music - Tiamat - 04-09-2015

I've been hearing a lot of buzz about Courtney Barnett. Kind of being hailed as a new poet for her generation. Dylanesque in her lyrical style. For me, she is more important as a lyricist than the band for their music. The music is kind of a grunge inspiration. Not bad either. Just never my favorite music.

RE: Music - Wonky3 - 04-10-2015

(04-09-2015, 07:56 PM)Tiamat Wrote: I've been hearing a lot of buzz about Courtney Barnett. Kind of being hailed as a new poet for her generation. Dylanesque in her lyrical style. For me, she is more important as a lyricist than the band for their music. The music is kind of a grunge inspiration. Not bad either. Just never my favorite music.

Funny how that works. As you suggested, Dylan can't sing worth a lick but has written some really great stuff. Oh well...it gets covered by folks who CAN sing. And the real wonder is in the lyric being expressed. Thank the gods for both those who write the stuff and those who have great voices to present it.

RE: Music - Cuzz - 04-10-2015

(04-10-2015, 08:15 AM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(04-09-2015, 07:56 PM)Tiamat Wrote: I've been hearing a lot of buzz about Courtney Barnett. Kind of being hailed as a new poet for her generation. Dylanesque in her lyrical style. For me, she is more important as a lyricist than the band for their music. The music is kind of a grunge inspiration. Not bad either. Just never my favorite music.

Funny how that works. As you suggested, Dylan can't sing worth a lick but has written some really great stuff. Oh well...it gets covered by folks who CAN sing. And the real wonder is in the lyric being expressed. Thank the gods for both those who write the stuff and those who have great voices to present it.

I don't think having a "great voice" is necessarily a prerequisite for a great performance. Sometimes it might even make an amazing song just plain boring. As an example, I don't think anyone would mistake Tom Waits as a "great singing voice" but his performances can be pretty great still.

RE: Music - Wonky3 - 04-10-2015

(04-10-2015, 09:22 AM)Cuzz Wrote:

I don't think having a "great voice" is necessarily a prerequisite for a great performance. Sometimes it might even make an amazing song just plain boring. As an example, I don't think anyone would mistake Tom Waits as a "great singing voice" but his performances can be pretty great still.

Good point. In my previous post I guess I was trying to somehow describe the difference I experience in hearing a "great voice" that produces a pleasant and trained sound. I too think Tom Waits has and "interesting" voice and his "Way Down In The Hole" he did for the TV Series THE WIRE was great! I just won't ever have a Tom Waits play list that I listen to for any extended period...would wear thin soon for me.

But, this stuff too, is very subjective, right?

(04-10-2015, 09:41 AM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(04-10-2015, 09:22 AM)Cuzz Wrote:

Good point. In my previous post I guess I was trying to somehow describe the difference I experience in hearing a "great voice" that produces a pleasant and trained sound. I too think Tom Waits has and "interesting" voice and his "Way Down In The Hole" he did for the TV Series THE WIRE was great! I just won't ever have a Tom Waits play list that I listen to for any extended period...would wear thin soon for me.

But, this stuff too, is very subjective, right?

Oh, I agree. But then, I don't listen to anybody for long. Variety, it's all about variety.

Give these folks a listen, Shovels and Rope.