RogueValleyForum.com
Music - Printable Version

+- RogueValleyForum.com (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: The Lounge (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=68)
+--- Forum: The Lounge (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=22)
+--- Thread: Music (/showthread.php?tid=1626)

RE: Music - Cuzz - 04-10-2015

One more today, Parker Millsap.

RE: Music - Valuesize - 04-10-2015

RE: Music - Scrapper - 04-10-2015

Playing for Change...

RE: Music - tvguy - 04-10-2015

(04-10-2015, 10:29 AM)Valuesize Wrote:

I can't help it. I'm too much of an old rocker. Put down that acoustic Eric, plug that Fender in and blow me awayBig Grin

RE: Music - Tiamat - 04-10-2015

(04-10-2015, 09:22 AM)Cuzz Wrote:
(04-10-2015, 08:15 AM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(04-09-2015, 07:56 PM)Tiamat Wrote: I've been hearing a lot of buzz about Courtney Barnett. Kind of being hailed as a new poet for her generation. Dylanesque in her lyrical style. For me, she is more important as a lyricist than the band for their music. The music is kind of a grunge inspiration. Not bad either. Just never my favorite music.

Funny how that works. As you suggested, Dylan can't sing worth a lick but has written some really great stuff. Oh well...it gets covered by folks who CAN sing. And the real wonder is in the lyric being expressed. Thank the gods for both those who write the stuff and those who have great voices to present it.

I don't think having a "great voice" is necessarily a prerequisite for a great performance. Sometimes it might even make an amazing song just plain boring. As an example, I don't think anyone would mistake Tom Waits as a "great singing voice" but his performances can be pretty great still.

Her voice is fine. Even the music is fine. Just not my favorite style. And I agree, it doesn't take a great voice. I should know. I love Neil Young and I think his voice ADDS to his songs and that they are lacking when covered. Dylan's voice is fine. Wait's voice is great. I think different vocals can strengthen songs. In fact, I never suggested Dylan can't sing.

RE: Music - Cuzz - 04-10-2015

(04-10-2015, 06:57 PM)Tiamat Wrote:
(04-10-2015, 09:22 AM)Cuzz Wrote:
(04-10-2015, 08:15 AM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(04-09-2015, 07:56 PM)Tiamat Wrote: I've been hearing a lot of buzz about Courtney Barnett. Kind of being hailed as a new poet for her generation. Dylanesque in her lyrical style. For me, she is more important as a lyricist than the band for their music. The music is kind of a grunge inspiration. Not bad either. Just never my favorite music.

Funny how that works. As you suggested, Dylan can't sing worth a lick but has written some really great stuff. Oh well...it gets covered by folks who CAN sing. And the real wonder is in the lyric being expressed. Thank the gods for both those who write the stuff and those who have great voices to present it.

I don't think having a "great voice" is necessarily a prerequisite for a great performance. Sometimes it might even make an amazing song just plain boring. As an example, I don't think anyone would mistake Tom Waits as a "great singing voice" but his performances can be pretty great still.

Her voice is fine. Even the music is fine. Just not my favorite style. And I agree, it doesn't take a great voice. I should know. I love Neil Young and I think his voice ADDS to his songs and that they are lacking when covered. Dylan's voice is fine. Wait's voice is great. I think different vocals can strengthen songs. In fact, I never suggested Dylan can't sing.

zackly!

RE: Music - Valuesize - 04-13-2015

The Warning
Daniela - Guitar - 14 yrs old
Paulina - Drums - 12 yrs old
Alejandra - Bass Guitar - 9 yrs old

RE: Music - cletus1 - 04-14-2015

Thanks Percy

RE: Music - Wonky3 - 04-14-2015

(04-14-2015, 07:50 PM)cletus1 Wrote: Thanks Percy

He may be remembered as "a one hit wonder" but Oh! That one song.

From WIKI
Sledge's soulful voice was perfect for the series of soul ballads produced by Ivy and Marlin Greene, which rock critic Dave Marsh called "emotional classics for romantics of all ages". "When a Man Loves a Woman" was Sledge's first song recorded under the contract, and was released in March 1966.[3] According to Sledge, the song's inspiration came when his girlfriend left him for a modelling career after he was laid off from a construction job in late 1965,[5] and, because bassist Calvin Lewis and organist Andrew Wright helped him with the song, he gave all the songwriting credits to them.[6] It reached No. 1 in the U.S. and went on to become an international hit. "When A Man Loves A Woman" was a hit twice in the UK, reaching No. 4 in 1966 and, on reissue, peaked at No. 2 in 1987. The song was also the first gold record released by Atlantic Records.[7] T

Hey cuzz, wadaya think?

RE: Music - tvguy - 04-14-2015

Quote: 'Wonky3' pid='354538' dateline='1429067339']

I think he was only a one hit wonder to those of us who weren't really listening to much to his other music.We just all really loved that one song.

It would be almost as bad as saying BB was a one hit wonder because of "the thrill is gone". And that would be VERY wrong.

I don't think he got all of these awards for having one hit.Smiling

Sledge was an inaugural Rhythm and Blues Foundation Pioneer Award honoree in 1989.[16]
In 1996, he was the recipient of the Blues Music Award in 1996 for best Soul/Blues album of the year with his record Blue Night.[16]
In November 2004, Percy Sledge was inducted into the Carolina Beach Music Hall Of Fame.[17]
In 2005, he was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.[9]
In May 2007, Percy Sledge was inducted into the Louisiana Music Hall of Fame for his contributions by the State of Louisiana.[16]
Sledge was an inductee of the Delta Music Museum in Ferriday, Louisiana.[16]
In 2010, Sledge was inducted into the Alabama Music Hall of Fame.[9]

RE: Music - Cuzz - 04-14-2015

(04-14-2015, 08:26 PM)cletus1 Wrote: Hey cuzz, wadaya think?

I like these cooperative performances, there generally done pretty well. You especially got me with this one, sneaking Sara Bareilles in there, really, is that fair? LOL! Thumbs Up

(04-14-2015, 08:46 PM)Cuzz Wrote:
(04-14-2015, 08:26 PM)cletus1 Wrote: Hey cuzz, wadaya think?

I like these cooperative performances, there generally done pretty well. You especially got me with this one, sneaking Sara Bareilles in there, really, is that fair? LOL! Thumbs Up

Big Grin you are welcome. That one is a favorite of mine. Here is the first Playing for Change performance that I listened to. Someone posted it here over a year ago.

RE: Music - Cuzz - 04-14-2015

Sara Bareilles

(04-14-2015, 09:09 PM)Cuzz Wrote: Sara Bareilles

That's exactly what I'm talking about.

She has a great voice. Thanks for that and Good Night. Wink

RE: Music - Wonky3 - 04-14-2015

(04-14-2015, 08:37 PM)tvguy Wrote:

I think he was only a one hit wonder to those of us who weren't really listening to much to his other music.We just all really loved that one song.

It would be almost as bad as saying BB was a one hit wonder because of "the thrill is gone". And that would be VERY wrong.

Sledge was an inaugural Rhythm and Blues Foundation Pioneer Award honoree in 1989.[16]
In 1996, he was the recipient of the Blues Music Award in 1996 for best Soul/Blues album of the year with his record Blue Night.[16]
In November 2004, Percy Sledge was inducted into the Carolina Beach Music Hall Of Fame.[17]
In May[b] 2007, Percy Sledge was inducted into the Louisiana Music Hall of Fame for his contributions by the State of Louisiana.[16]

Okay. Christ you would argue about the morning sunrise.
The guy was a great performer. He toured for years, and was well remembered as a good act, respected by his fellow singers.
Now...
Name the hits he had that were anywhere top of the charts. Any charts.
He had one big hit. That son is just a down home fact but does not take anything away from his place as a great act.
Argue it some more. It's what you do.

RE: Music - tvguy - 04-15-2015

(04-14-2015, 09:44 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:

In May[b] 2007, Percy Sledge was inducted into the Louisiana Music Hall of Fame for his contributions by the State of Louisiana.[16]

The guy was a great performer. He toured for years, and was well remembered as a good act, respected by his fellow singers.
Now...
He had one big hit. That son is just a down home fact but does not take anything away from his place as a great act.

I'm not arguing at all Wonky. I said I think he was only a one hit wonder to those of us who weren't really listening to much to his other music

I said that because of all those awards he was given.I just figured he must have had lots of fans.

Anyway I totally see how he could be considered a one hit wonder it's just to me one hit wonders are usually songs that we all know and have heard a million times but we don't have a clue who performed them or the name of their band.

Who did "96 tears"?

Who did 'My Sharona'?

Who did "Blinded by the Light"?

RE: Music - Wonky3 - 04-15-2015

(04-15-2015, 11:11 AM)tvguy Wrote:

Now...

I'm not arguing at all Wonky. I said I think he was only a one hit wonder to those of us who weren't really listening to much to his other music

I said that because of all those awards he was given.I just figured he must have had lots of fans.

Anyway I totally see how he could be considered a one hit wonder it's just to me one hit wonders are usually songs that we all know and have heard a million times but we don't have a clue who performed them or the name of their band.

Who did "96 tears"?

Who did 'My Sharona'?

You win.
I tire.
Nobody cares. Big Grin

RE: Music - tvguy - 04-15-2015

(04-15-2015, 11:14 AM)Wonky3 Wrote:

Now...

Who did "96 tears"?

Who did 'My Sharona'?

You win.
I tire.
Nobody cares. Big Grin

How do I "win" by explaining myself? You tire? no body cares? Wow maybe I shouldn't waste my fucking time explaining what I meant.

Fuck this ignorant Forum.

RE: Music - Wonky3 - 04-15-2015

(04-15-2015, 11:24 AM)tvguy Wrote:
(04-15-2015, 11:14 AM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(04-14-2015, 08:37 PM)tvguy Wrote: I think he was only a one hit wonder to those of us who weren't really listening to much to his other music.We just all really loved that one song.

Now...

Who did "96 tears"?

Who did 'My Sharona'?

You win.
I tire.
Nobody cares. Big Grin

How do I "win" by explaining myself? You tire? no body cares? Wow maybe I shouldn't waste my fucking time explaining what I meant.

Fuck this ignorant Forum.

Sorry you are having a bad day.
You need to "win"?
We don't agree. It would take pages and pages and bore the others to death to prove this point.
More than just being tired of it, I really don't care all that much.
On the the other hand if you want to argue about the Medford urban growth boundary we might argue for pages and pages. It's something I DO care about.