RogueValleyForum.com
Music - Printable Version

+- RogueValleyForum.com (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: The Lounge (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=68)
+--- Forum: The Lounge (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=22)
+--- Thread: Music (/showthread.php?tid=1626)

RE: Music - cletus1 - 08-26-2015

(08-26-2015, 12:31 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(08-26-2015, 12:09 PM)cletus1 Wrote: You sure do like Lenny, huh Wonk? I like him as a song writer much more than I like his singing voice.

OMG yes! But, his voice is, I think, is suited for the kind of lyrics he writes. Kind of like Bob Dylan who wrote (writes?) great stuff and does not have a great voice box under his chin. 

I'm a Kirs Kristofferson fan too: another guy who can't sing for sour apples, but has penned some pretty good lines. ("She with the rings on her fingers and time on her hands") 

As I mentioned in a previous post, music is SO very subjective! And too, I'm 78 years old and that plays a part: Guys my age never learned to really appreciate the "Smashing Pumpkins" let alone the "Sex Pistols". (But I did finally stop listening to Al Jolson.  Smiling

Whatever: Cant' imagine life without music. 

PS: TVg picks a pretty fair gee-tar. Wish he could get someone to video him playing and post it. Maybe not...that SOB would charge us.  Laughing

Yep I was typing about music being subjective when I read this post.

Anyway here is it: What I found interesting about the Isakov song is the music. The musicians play just an acoustic guitar and a violin. Sometimes I like simple uncluttered music. It is not going to be the next top 40 hit, but so what. I like a lot of folk music too, and for the same reason. Tastes in music is not subject to reason or logic. If it were, your admiration for Leonard Cohen's music is illogical as hell.

RE: Music - Wonky3 - 08-26-2015

(08-26-2015, 12:34 PM)cletus1 Wrote:
(08-26-2015, 12:09 PM)cletus1 Wrote: You sure do like Lenny, huh Wonk? I like him as a song writer much more than I like his singing voice.

OMG yes! But, his voice is, I think, is suited for the kind of lyrics he writes. Kind of like Bob Dylan who wrote (writes?) great stuff and does not have a great voice box under his chin. 

I'm a Kirs Kristofferson fan too: another guy who can't sing for sour apples, but has penned some pretty good lines. ("She with the rings on her fingers and time on her hands") 

As I mentioned in a previous post, music is SO very subjective! And too, I'm 78 years old and that plays a part: Guys my age never learned to really appreciate the "Smashing Pumpkins" let alone the "Sex Pistols". (But I did finally stop listening to Al Jolson.  Smiling

PS: TVg picks a pretty fair gee-tar. Wish he could get someone to video him playing and post it. Maybe not...that SOB would charge us.  Laughing

Anyway here is it: What I found interesting about the Isakov song is the music. The musicians play just an acoustic guitar and a violin. Sometimes I like simple uncluttered music. It is not going to be the next top 40 hit, but so what. I like a lot of folk music too, and for the same reason. Tastes in music is not subject to reason or logic. If it were, your admiration for Leonard Cohen's music is illogical as hell.
Right as rain! I too, like simple music not drowned out by all kinds of electronic stuff and more drums than can be counted. Sometimes...
At other times I like things backed by full philharmonic orchestras, like (for instance) Pink Floyd. Never a hard-rock fan, I find it just "too noisy" for my taste. But as we've already agreed it's all about subjective tastes. 
Whatever: Thanks for you response and I understand why you enjoy those folks. Nice easy sound. 

RE: Music - tvguy - 08-26-2015

(08-25-2015, 01:39 PM)cletus1 Wrote:

I liked it a lot. It's great music to listen to while sitting around or a road trip or whatever.It's interesting to hear only an acoustic guitar and Cello.. The Cello is not just base but it give a beat almost like a drum.  I'll be listening to his other stuff. Big Grin

My criticism... When I hit play Nothing happens for 28 seconds.

Foe ME It would have been better with some lead guitar.

Hey Wonky You don't have to watch the video. It's not mandatory, you can just listen Razz  Anyway I like to see the musicians, the instruments and in this case I like to see that the guitar has a capo on the third fret.

RE: Music - tvguy - 08-26-2015

"The musicians play just an acoustic guitar and a violin."   And a cello.

RE: Music - Wonky3 - 08-26-2015

(08-26-2015, 01:57 PM)tvguy Wrote:

"The musicians play just an acoustic guitar and a violin."   And a cello.
Well...Ain't no real good music without a jug, washboard, bones and an Irish drunk! 

RE: Music - cletus1 - 08-26-2015

RE: Music - Wonky3 - 08-27-2015

I enjoy music. But my ear is just not all that tuned to the "perfect sound" any more than my palette can tell the difference between an Estate bottled $100. wine and a good bottle of red from the grocery store. 

The new thing is the old thing. Dig out the vinyl platters, the turner with tubes and your old turn table if you want to REALLY enjoy good sound. And the CD is now an inferior way to buy recored music, as well as the digital content we can now download. 

Poppycock. I like the new formats just fine. 

This, from a piece in Wired magazine recently:

LOVE ISN’T ALWAYS rational. Witness magnetic tape. The analog technology, which uses a coating of iron oxide powder on a thin strip of plastic film to capture and store live audio, was commercially developed by the German company BASF in the 1930s. It quickly became ubiquitous in recording studios and reigned supreme until a quarter century ago, when it was relegated to boutique status by the rise of digital. The hiss of tape heads can’t compete with a computer’s crystal clarity, and bits don’t degrade over time the way tape does (or require rewinding). Industry purists like D’Angelo and storied producer-performer Steve Albini (Big Black, Shellac) still swear by their reel-to-reel recorders. The sound of analog preamps running signal onto analog tape yields a natural compression that minimizes harsh transients and delivers a warmer sound. Many musicians also prefer analog’s enforced discipline: the band must focus on its performance, as fixing mistakes on tape is laborious. And though tape has some nasty decomposition habits, the sounds can survive decades if the reels are properly stored—try retrieving a Pro Tools mix from 2004 and see how many of your plug-ins from that period still work. That an 80-year-old technology is still the format of choice for many of today’s recordings is testimony to our love, irrational as it may be. 

RE: Music - GPnative - 08-27-2015

RE: Music - cletus1 - 08-30-2015

For TVguy 

RE: Music - tvguy - 08-30-2015

(08-30-2015, 07:26 PM)cletus1 Wrote: For TVguy 

Razz

RE: Music - cletus1 - 09-01-2015

Going to see Rebelution at the Britt in a few hours.

RE: Music - cletus1 - 09-05-2015

RE: Music - tvguy - 09-05-2015

RE: Music - Scrapper - 09-07-2015

Stick with it... clear to the very end!

RE: Music - Tiamat - 09-07-2015

(08-30-2015, 07:26 PM)cletus1 Wrote: For TVguy 
If I threaten to leave, will you post songs for me too?

RE: Music - tvguy - 09-20-2015

I always loved this song for the simplicity and I just love Van Ronk. This is for a very close friend that I really miss.

RE: Music - Willie Krash - 09-21-2015

From Dave Van Ronk to Sinatra.

RE: Music - Wonky3 - 09-21-2015

(06-29-2010, 06:34 PM)janice Wrote: Eva Cassidy - Somewhere Over The Rainbow

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccCnL8hArW8[/youtube]

Eva Cassidy had a beautiful voice and this is an excellent rendition of Over The Rainbow.

Check out Eva singing Danny Boy...and Fields of Gold.

or even....Oh, I had a Golden Thread....or Wade in the Water.

I was looking back over some past postings when Janice (I miss her!) started this. 
Eva Cassidy was a talent that the gods took from us far too soon (See Wiki). 
WHAT a voice! 
If you fire this up, notice please how effortlessly she hit's that high note that is the signature of the song. 
Janice, I think you moved to Portland for City Life. We miss you. (Clete, you still (if ever) in touch with her?

Later edit: I see the link does not work. Fire up You Tube and search if interested. 

Even Later: Another lady who could hit that hight note without strain was Juice Newton: 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLNYWDxCuRI

RE: Music - tvguy - 09-21-2015

(09-21-2015, 11:48 AM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(06-29-2010, 06:34 PM)janice Wrote: Eva Cassidy - Somewhere Over The Rainbow

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccCnL8hArW8[/youtube]

Eva Cassidy had a beautiful voice and this is an excellent rendition of Over The Rainbow.

Check out Eva singing Danny Boy...and Fields of Gold.

or even....Oh, I had a Golden Thread....or Wade in the Water.

I was looking back over some past postings when Janice (I miss her!) started this. 
Eva Cassidy was a talent that the gods took from us far too soon (See Wiki). 
WHAT a voice! 
If you fire this up, notice please how effortlessly she hit's that high note that is the signature of the song. 
Janice, I think you moved to Portland for City Life. We miss you. (Clete, you still (if ever) in touch with her?

Later edit: I see the link does not work. Fire up You Tube and search if interested. 

Even Later: Another lady who could hit that hight note without strain was Juice Newton: 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLNYWDxCuRI
Here Wonky, your link didn't work. You owe me five bucks.

RE: Music - tvguy - 09-21-2015

This is my favorite "over the rainbow".. with a little "what a wonderful world" mixed in. It almost makes me cry and I laughed when Ole Yeller died. [Image: icon_rvf_tongue.gif]