RogueValleyForum.com
Music - Printable Version

+- RogueValleyForum.com (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: The Lounge (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=68)
+--- Forum: The Lounge (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=22)
+--- Thread: Music (/showthread.php?tid=1626)

RE: Music - cletus1 - 04-21-2016

(04-04-2016, 08:54 PM)Cuzz Wrote:
(04-04-2016, 06:50 PM)cletus1 Wrote:
(04-04-2016, 06:23 PM)Cuzz Wrote:
(04-04-2016, 03:02 PM)cletus1 Wrote:
(04-01-2016, 03:04 PM)Cuzz Wrote: No, not the only one.

Everyone has their own taste in music. Doesn't make them right or wrong. It just is.

Maybe not the only one, but one of a very few I imagine. And it does make them wrong and stupid and tone deaf.  Razz

Maybe so, I still don't care for it. Singing "The Sounds of Silence" as a power ballad is too much contrast for this old Simon and Garfunkel fan.  

I fight against the tendency to judge songs by the original. I don't want the original to make me unable to appreciate the great cover songs that other singers perform. Below are 2 different versions of the Sounds of Silence song. I hate all the crying in the first video, so I closed my eyes and just listened. It is well performed in my opinion, different but good. The second video has it good points as well. Perhaps I have been watching "The Voice" for too long. 

I agree. I enjoyed both of those versions. Guess I just don't like the Disturbed version. It's OK if others do.   Smiling

Hey Cuzz, I have listened to the Disturbed version of the song quite a few more times since I first posted about the Distubed version of The Sounds of Silence and I think I have to agree with you a little. The Disturbed version deviates from the original in some ways that I don't like. The Disturbed version highlights the singers deep voice and that focus does take a bit from the song. It's not normal to change your views on this forum about anything, but what the hell.  Wink

RE: Music - Valuesize - 04-21-2016

(04-21-2016, 09:38 PM)cletus1 Wrote: Thanks. I still want that blues version of I Could Never Take The Place of a your Man. I may find it yet.

I hope you do.

RE: Music - Juniper - 04-21-2016

Never a huge Prince fan. But I respected him. Liked him. My strongest memories of him are in the 80's with his early hits. And once, in the early 80's I went camping. It was this very public campground. Very party atmosphere. Hundreds of people camping in one huge place. And at night, purple rain, different songs from the album being blasted from different areas of the campground, echoing around. I think it may have just been public radio playing; it was so big, such a hit, it was playing on every station. That memory stays with me. Prince/Purple Rain/in the dark in some party campground in the 80's. Most of the rest of trip is forgotten or associated with bad experiences, but I remember that.

RE: Music - Valuesize - 04-26-2016

RE: Music - cletus1 - 04-29-2016

DIFFERENT. I like the video. 

RE: Music - Valuesize - 05-06-2016

RE: Music - Scrapper - 05-07-2016

RE: Music - tvguy - 05-07-2016

(05-06-2016, 09:30 PM)Valuesize Wrote:

Funny but I just heard this the other day....The organs of a deer are called the umbles. Eating the organs rather than the meat was not a choice but a necessity. So people would make some sort of dish out of the organs called umble pie and that turned in to what we know as Humble pie.

RE: Music - chuck white - 05-07-2016

(05-07-2016, 03:41 PM)tvguy Wrote:

Funny but I just heard this the other day....The organs of a deer are called the umbles. Eating the organs rather than the meat was not a choice but a necessity. So people would make some sort of dish out of the organs called umble pie and that turned in to what we know as Humble pie.

You heard about eating umbles from those Yukon men I bet.

Around here in the summer time, the blacktop gets so hot, that it will cook the umbles up in no time.
A deer hit at noon, should be ready to eat by 1:30. ( bring a meat thermometer)

RE: Music - tvguy - 05-07-2016

(05-07-2016, 04:30 PM)chuck white Wrote:
(05-07-2016, 03:41 PM)tvguy Wrote:

Around here in the summer time, the blacktop gets so hot, that it will cook the umbles up in no time.
A deer hit at noon, should be ready to eat by 1:30. ( bring a meat thermometer)

No I don't remember where I heard about that. I think it's a very old term

RE: Music - cletus1 - 05-08-2016

Now for something completely different. I want to apologize for this video before you watch it. I just watched most of the movie Chappie. It's bad, real bad. I recommend watching it with some some good Gorilla Glue. 

RE: Music - cletus1 - 05-08-2016

Here is one of the trailers:

RE: Music - Valuesize - 06-01-2016

RE: Music - cletus1 - 06-14-2016

Just because I'm going to the Waterfront Blues Festival in Portland July 1st. I expect to hear some good  Blues music. 

http://www.waterfrontbluesfest.com/schedules

RE: Music - cletus1 - 06-26-2016

RE: Music - Cuzz - 06-26-2016

Laughing Laughing  I didn't recognize him until he started to sing. No mistaking that voice though.

RE: Music - Wonky3 - 06-26-2016

(06-26-2016, 10:43 AM)Cuzz Wrote: Laughing Laughing  I didn't recognize him until he started to sing. No mistaking that voice though.

Barry Manilow?

RE: Music - Cuzz - 06-26-2016

(06-26-2016, 10:54 AM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(06-26-2016, 10:43 AM)Cuzz Wrote: Laughing Laughing  I didn't recognize him until he started to sing. No mistaking that voice though.

Barry Manilow?

No, I don't think I would recognize his voice. The channel would change too fast.   Razz

I dedicate this song to all you Trumpsters out there. 

Check out this song from the new Red Hot Chili Peppers album. Not sure I'm going to buy the album yet, but I like these freaks.  Big Grin