No Goose Poop; No Mosquitos
We spent the afternoon at Galesville Reservoir in Azeala. No, it's not Lake Tahoe, but the water is pretty clear (there's a bit of clay near the shore, but you can still stt bottom). There's camping, excellent picnic facilities and a large swimming area where you could float around for hours in a tube. There's also fishing, water skating, jet skis...but the beauty of it all? Making it worth the distance? Just about deserted on a weekday. It's a thing of beauty.

[Image: 580830_10151020221914176_1432917835_n.jpg]

[Image: 417634_10151020221689176_1068250314_n.jpg]

[Image: 205305_10151020221394176_878816229_n.jpg]

[Image: 179935_10151020222119176_1494877344_n.jpg]

If you want to picnic and swim, it's the second turnoff..the first one says campground, continue on a few yards to the next driveway.
I would add, other than camping it's free. Big Grin That and it's one of the few places we have never had to pick up and leave because of poor behavior by other users. Is it operated by a local tribe?
OK, who let the secret out. don't tell anyone else.

Ponder could say more.
(07-09-2012, 10:15 PM)chuck white Wrote: OK, who let the secret out. don't tell anyone else.

Ponder could say more.

I know, huh!
I should tell them to only go on weekends, that they're the best. Laughing
They have a new cabin with a real bathroom and kitchen for $50 a night.
(07-09-2012, 10:18 PM)Clone Wrote: They have a new cabin with a real bathroom and kitchen for $50 a night.

Dang! That sounds awesome! How many will it sleep? Eyebrows My wheels are turning, Clone! Big Grin
No goose poop my arss! We camped there over Memorial Weekend and the stuff was everywhere. Very pretty area for sure, high Mercury levels in the water however so can't eat a lot of the fish you catch there. Great place though and the park hosts are really nice people.
Rolling Eyes
(07-10-2012, 08:31 AM)BeerMe Wrote: No goose poop my arss! We camped there over Memorial Weekend and the stuff was everywhere. Very pretty area for sure, high Mercury levels in the water however so can't eat a lot of the fish you catch there. Great place though and the park hosts are really nice people.

How weird, BeerMe!
We walked around the park quite extensively and saw neither geese nor goose poop. We didn't even see any dog poop and there were a couple dogs running around. We didn't walk the beach at the campground though. We didn't see one goose or duck; perhaps they go further north for the summer?

Yep, I put no goose poop in the title 'cause I'm such a liar. I went to the trouble of taking and posting the photos so TM could take her grandkids out there and have to deal with goose poop just like they do at Emmigrant Lake. Ha ha TM, I really fooled you, eh? Rolling Eyes
(07-10-2012, 08:31 AM)BeerMe Wrote: No goose poop my arss! We camped there over Memorial Weekend and the stuff was everywhere. Very pretty area for sure, high Mercury levels in the water however so can't eat a lot of the fish you catch there. Great place though and the park hosts are really nice people.

Is there a mine near there that is creating the mercury in the water?
I've never heard anyone talk of any specific mine this mercury is coming from, although of course like most of the west there did used to be small mines scattered in remote spots around the area.
It appears to be naturally occurring. Cinnabar deposits perhaps?

Quote:Galesville Reservoir is on the ODEQ 303(d) list for mercury contamination. Galesville Reservoir was listed for mercury in 2002 because of elevated methlymercury levels in the meat of fish caught from the reservoir. It appears that natural mercury found in soils and rocks around Galesville Reservoir is the source of the contamination. Methymercury in fish meat cannot be removed or reduced through any cleaning, cooking, or preservation methods; therefore, the Oregon Department of Health and Human Services recommends that people limit their consumption of fish from Galesville Reservoir because of health concerns. Mercury levels in the water are not high enough to pose a risk to people swimming or boating in the reservoir.

http://http://oregonexplorer.info/umpqua...UpperCowCr
(07-10-2012, 10:47 AM)Clone Wrote: Rolling Eyes

How weird, BeerMe!
We walked around the park quite extensively and saw neither geese nor goose poop. We didn't even see any dog poop and there were a couple dogs running around. We didn't walk the beach at the campground though. We didn't see one goose or duck; perhaps they go further north for the summer?

Yep, I put no goose poop in the title 'cause I'm such a liar. I went to the trouble of taking and posting the photos so TM could take her grandkids out there and have to deal with goose poop just like they do at Emmigrant Lake. Ha ha TM, I really fooled you, eh? Rolling Eyes

There wasn't much poop up in the park area. Down at the shore line was a different story. I wasn't calling you a liar, simply stating what it was like when I was there in May. It is a very pretty lake, and nice area. Just didn't want anyone to go up there expecting no goose pooh.

Can do without the roll eyes btw.
I see geese more often farther on up past the campground area, in an area mostly only fishermen go. (Generally speaking, across the road from the 2 privately owned mobile homes on the uphill side of the road).
(07-10-2012, 11:00 AM)BeerMe Wrote:
(07-10-2012, 10:47 AM)Clone Wrote: Rolling Eyes

How weird, BeerMe!

There wasn't much poop up in the park area. Down at the shore line was a different story. I wasn't calling you a liar, simply stating what it was like when I was there in May. It is a very pretty lake, and nice area. Just didn't want anyone to go up there expecting no goose pooh.

Can do without the roll eyes btw.

Please accept my apology for the eye roll.
I still stand by my thread title.
We walked just about the whole beach from the boat launch to about halfway down the picnic area. I was specifically on the lookout for fowl and/or fowl poop. There was zip, zilch, nada. Like I say, it must be seasonal or something. Maybe the drunks and the speed boats on the summer weekends chase them out and those nice park hosts clean the place up.
Yep, may be seasonal. The stuff was ALL OVER the shore line in May. Looking forward to going back up there.
I'm think there is more goose crap certain times of the year. Sheesh Crone, don't get offended so easily.
I've been there it is pretty nice but I will only go where I can take my boat and eat the fish I catch.
Mercury and chromiuim, pour out of our hills. They always have. If you swim with geese, you can get a rash. If they crap on your links, good.
Thanks for the pictures and the link! The place looks great. Smiling
If there is no goose poop around, my guess is that perhaps the park hosts rake it up on a regular basis. If it was there in May, then the geese know about it. Nice to know it gets cleaned up (maybe) for camping season.
My daughter didn't see any goose poop at Lake of the Woods but I bet they clean up the place since it's private. Too bad the Emigrant Lake people don't raise the price of camping/parking by a dollar or so. That way they could hire someone (high school kid) to keep the place clean. They could throw in a free pass to the water slide for the summer too.
How long would it take to get to the Galesville Res from Ashland? Maybe my dd and I could go with her two kidlets. My DH will only go camping with me if there is cable and wifi. (He's a city guy and isn't into the whole RV'ing thing). She and I could probably do it on our own. Right? Unsure
The cabin looks REALLY NICE in the pictures. It has a futon in the living room and what looks like a double/queen bed in the bedroom. Kitchenette and bathroom, too.
http://www.co.douglas.or.us/parks/CMcampground.asp

[Image: cmNewCabin.jpg] [Image: cmNewInterior.jpg]

[Image: cmNewKitchen.jpg] [Image: CMCabin3.jpg]

Oh my goodness... how cute is that?!?! I wanna go! Smiling
I didn't hang around in the campground, it seems pretty primative. I should have checked, I think they just have porta potties.
Yes, the cabins are adorable and the free day-use park and picnic area is pretty nice. The water isn't cold.

The thing is, about that area is the silence.
It's remarkable.
After living on a major thoroughfare in a small house with a tv loving hubby, I can't describe the pleasure the silence brings.
There were no noisy boats on the lake and when we were away from the kids swimming? Nothing. No cars passing by, no chainsaws, no lawnmowers, no cars going boom boom boom. Just an absolutely pristine silence, punctuated only by an occasional bird song. I soak it up like a sponge.

I would imagine if I ever went there on a summer weekend, my opinion would be very different.Smiling
(07-10-2012, 06:15 PM)Clone Wrote: I didn't hang around in the campground, it seems pretty primative. I should have checked, I think they just have porta potties.
Yes, the cabins are adorable and the free day-use park and picnic area is pretty nice. The water isn't cold.

The thing is, about that area is the silence.
It's remarkable.
After living on a major thoroughfare in a small house with a tv loving hubby, I can't describe the pleasure the silence brings.
There were no noisy boats on the lake and when we were away from the kids swimming? Nothing. No cars passing by, no chainsaws, no lawnmowers, no cars going boom boom boom. Just an absolutely pristine silence, punctuated only by an occasional bird song. I soak it up like a sponge.

I would imagine if I ever went there on a summer weekend, my opinion would be very different.Smiling

Yes it would be. I've been up there on the weekend when my son took his ski boat there. Lot's of boats and people, at least that weekend there was.