Coffee Roasting
(06-16-2014, 11:18 PM)Tiamat Wrote:
(06-16-2014, 11:00 PM)Valuesize Wrote:
(06-16-2014, 10:48 PM)Tiamat Wrote: Required? No. I put a lid on. I turn it over and give it one small shake and set it down. Next day when I use it, I just add more water and add another spoonful of coffee right then, so it's done.I don't even use the melita filter. I just use a small sieve with a handle and a paper towel . It's not important to 'drip it slowly', because the infusion is complete and you are just straining off the grounds. I know folks who don't approve of microwaves. They heat the coffee on the stove in a pot. I'm not too particular. But the process makes a very tasty, VERY smooth coffee. 95% less acid.

So its one spoon of coffee the night before and one more spoon just before straining?

No. Just one heaping tablespoon of ground coffee in about 16 oz of water the night before. You could make it stronger to taste.

Well I'll have to try it tomorrow as it's too late to use the coffee grinder without waking everyone. I'll let you know how it turns out tomorrow.
(06-16-2014, 08:10 PM)Tiamat Wrote:
(06-16-2014, 09:47 AM)Scrapper Wrote: Wowza! You guys are hard core coffee aficionados!
I'm happy with my Costco Keurig coffee purchase each month. Smiling
[Image: 350-738184-847__1.jpg]
http://www.costco.com/Tully's%C2%AE-Hawa...30932.html

I'm lower tech. I have a jar with a lid full of water. Each night one tablespoon of ground coffee. (whatever I have. Right now it's beans freshly ground). Then next day, strain into a cup and microwave. 1 cup a day.
Tiamat cold steeping is a good way to make coffee, you don't get some of the bitterness and harshness from hot brewed. I cold steep dark roasted grains when making a beer heavy with roasted grains for the same reasons, harshness and burnt flavors. Makes for a smoother beer of coffee.
I remember a buddy of mine used to do the cold coffee brew thing, It's been a long while but if memory serves me correctly he would make some sort of cold brewed coffee concentrate and keep it in the refrigerator and it would last a week or so, when he wanted coffee he would take some of the concentrate and just add boiling water.

I think a french press would work well for Tia's method.....gonna have to try that.
(06-17-2014, 06:55 AM)GPnative Wrote: I remember a buddy of mine used to do the cold coffee brew thing, It's been a long while but if memory serves me correctly he would make some sort of cold brewed coffee concentrate and keep it in the refrigerator and it would last a week or so, when he wanted coffee he would take some of the concentrate and just add boiling water.

I think a french press would work well for Tia's method.....gonna have to try that.

French Press does work great for cold steeping. Just don't boil the coffee when you are ready to drink it, that will defeat the purpose of cold steeping.
You could definitley use a french press if you've got one. I would not boil it either.
(06-17-2014, 07:59 AM)Tiamat Wrote: You could definitley use a french press if you've got one. I would not boil it either.

Nope, no boiling, I was just saying that's what my friend would add to his concentrate, he probably didn't boil his water either, poor choice of words. I wish now I had tried his coffee, he always said it was the best way to drink it.
(06-17-2014, 06:55 AM)GPnative Wrote: I remember a buddy of mine used to do the cold coffee brew thing, It's been a long while but if memory serves me correctly he would make some sort of cold brewed coffee concentrate and keep it in the refrigerator and it would last a week or so, when he wanted coffee he would take some of the concentrate and just add boiling water.

That's the first recipe I found when searching it yesterday.

http://drinks.seriouseats.com/2012/04/be...-tips.html
(06-17-2014, 09:41 AM)Valuesize Wrote:

That's the first recipe I found when searching it yesterday.

http://drinks.seriouseats.com/2012/04/be...-tips.html

I guess in Ashland you can get cold brew at some of the coffee places. And they will heat it for you. Maybe there are some in other places also. I've seen some pretty fancy gizmos for the stuff at the growers mart. Getting all trendy.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRMrtLwRy3Nuc5tGF385sI...aF_fafopRQ]
I think this is about a 10 oz cup with one heaping tablespoon of finely ground fresh roasted coffee beans. So tomorrow do I just strain, heat and drink?

Teaspoon on top for size comparison.

[Image: DSCF2706_zpsc08e646e.jpg]

[Image: DSCF2708_zpsab0eafcf.jpg]
(06-17-2014, 09:22 PM)Valuesize Wrote: I think this is about a 10 oz cup with one heaping tablespoon of finely ground fresh roasted coffee beans. So tomorrow do I just strain, heat and drink?

Teaspoon on top for size comparison.

[Image: DSCF2706_zpsc08e646e.jpg]

[Image: DSCF2708_zpsab0eafcf.jpg]

Yep. That's about how mine looks. I know that I can really taste a difference between a cold brewed and a hot brewed of the same coffee. Since I'm not a huge coffee drinker it makes that one cup a treat.
So tomorrow do I just strain, heat and drink?
(06-17-2014, 09:31 PM)Valuesize Wrote: So tomorrow do I just strain, heat and drink?

Yes. Hope you like it.
(06-17-2014, 09:53 PM)Tiamat Wrote:
(06-17-2014, 09:31 PM)Valuesize Wrote: So tomorrow do I just strain, heat and drink?

Yes. Hope you like it.

Me too. I asked my wife and sister if they had ever tried it and they hadn't either.
It was good but didn't have the complex flavors of a brewed. It made my fresh roasted beans taste like good Shari's coffee shop coffee, which is good just not wonderful. I would do this again if I bought a coffee I didn't care for as it may make it more drinkable.
I was so busy that I did not have time to drink coffee this morning. I was thinking of trying a cold coffee drink but I think they are all sweet. Unsweetened cold coffee sounds really bad, but I am not a sugar fan. I'll probably survive without coffee today, or perhaps I'll try a beer coffee. Smiling
(06-18-2014, 12:18 PM)cletus1 Wrote: I was so busy that I did not have time to drink coffee this morning. I was thinking of trying a cold coffee drink but I think they are all sweet. Unsweetened cold coffee sounds really bad, but I am not a sugar fan. I'll probably survive without coffee today, or perhaps I'll try a beer coffee. Smiling

[Image: bottledetaillargeblackbrew--en--b9baff96...ac2968.png]
(06-18-2014, 09:43 AM)Valuesize Wrote: It was good but didn't have the complex flavors of a brewed. It made my fresh roasted beans taste like good Shari's coffee shop coffee, which is good just not wonderful. I would do this again if I bought a coffee I didn't care for as it may make it more drinkable.

Shari's coffee? Yeck! I didn't find that to be the case for me, thank goodness.
Well I think I have BBQ roaster ready enough to give it a try tomorrow. It needs one more visit to the fabrication shop for two shaft supports for added strength on both ends but that will have to wait until next week. I'll try and post some photos of the roasting process tomorrow. This is it prior to use. Smiling

[Image: DSCF2762_zpsa03ff44c.jpg]

The total cost for my 5 lb coffee roaster (after next week's visit to the shop) will be just over $450.00. If you don't want to put one together yourself, you can probably find one on ebay or somewhere for just under $1,000.
(06-26-2014, 09:46 PM)Valuesize Wrote: Well I think I have BBQ roaster ready enough to give it a try tomorrow. It needs one more visit to the fabrication shop for two shaft supports for added strength on both ends but that will have to wait until next week. I'll try and post some photos of the roasting process tomorrow. This is it prior to use. Smiling

[Image: DSCF2762_zpsa03ff44c.jpg]

The total cost for my 5 lb coffee roaster (after next week's visit to the shop) will be just over $450.00. If you don't want to put one together yourself, you can probably find one on ebay or somewhere for just under $1,000.

I used to know some guys, back in the 80's who were building their own coffee roasting company. That was before coffee became so HUGE. They were on top of the trend before it became a trend. I guess they're still out there. http://diedrichroasters.com/

As for me, today I had forgotten my first method, to cold brew and had none around. So went to my second method: Boil 12 ounces of water. Put in 3 teaspoons of fresh ground coffee, (ground fine). Add a few shakes of cardamom. Keep on simmer for about 3 minutes and strain.
(06-27-2014, 07:27 AM)Tiamat Wrote: I used to know some guys, back in the 80's who were building their own coffee roasting company. That was before coffee became so HUGE. They were on top of the trend before it became a trend. I guess they're still out there. http://diedrichroasters.com/

As for me, today I had forgotten my first method, to cold brew and had none around. So went to my second method: Boil 12 ounces of water. Put in 3 teaspoons of fresh ground coffee, (ground fine). Add a few shakes of cardamom. Keep on simmer for about 3 minutes and strain.

They make nice roasters. If or when the time comes, can you get me a deal? Big Grin

Regarding your brewing method, I think you may have some old Oregon pioneer blood flowing through body. Razz