For Book Lovers
(01-04-2015, 10:50 AM)tvguy Wrote: No offense but it looks like the book has every possible BS conspiracy theory known to man thrown in.

So you read the book, and can point to excerpts to back up that statement?

I doubt it. Smiling
(01-04-2015, 12:08 PM)Hugo Wrote:
(01-04-2015, 10:50 AM)tvguy Wrote: No offense but it looks like the book has every possible BS conspiracy theory known to man thrown in.

I doubt it. Smiling

I said "it looks like" because in MY OPINION that is what it looks like TO ME.

And because that is so often the case with most stories anymore. Books sell when they have conspiracy theories.People are drawn to that stuff.
Sorry but I seriously doubt this guys daughters having allegedly went to school with Lee Harver Oswald means anything at all.. Or JFK and the mob??

No offense intended. It just looks like BS to sell the book to me.
(01-04-2015, 12:24 PM)tvguy Wrote:

I doubt it. Smiling

And because that is so often the case with most stories anymore. Books sell when they have conspiracy theories.People are drawn to that stuff.
Sorry but I seriously doubt this guys daughters having allegedly went to school with Lee Harver Oswald means anything at all.. Or JFK and the mob??

That is background info on the family, NOT what this book is actually about, and it's the entire BOOK you condemned.

As Wonky said:

Quote:The author is clever in arranging the sequence of events, has great descriptive skills, and is good at explaining the tension between the National Park Service and the locals who live within the boundary of the park.

Yet you condemn the book and the author without ever reading any of it. Neat skill you have there.....
(01-03-2015, 10:47 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(01-03-2015, 02:56 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(01-03-2015, 01:15 PM)Valuesize Wrote:
(01-03-2015, 12:59 PM)tvguy Wrote: I don't the the reason to "Avoid" a show you have never seen? It showed pictures of the guy and his family that you find interesting. It told how he terrorized a family by butchering a goat right outside their window.
There was also a shooting spree in 1983 where another NUT killed six people.
The 100 year old dilapidated copper mine is very interesting to see.
I think the show is interesting and there's always fast forwardWink

Since this is a thread "For Book Lovers" I think he is more interested in finding a good read.

Well of course. I just thought he might be interested to see video of some of the same thing that's in the book.

I'm 150 pages into it and I'm almost sure the TV show would not have time to fill in the "back story" so important in the telling of this. But, I'll see it I can get it on video or Netflix.
The author is clever in arranging the sequence of events, has great descriptive skills, and is good at explaining the tension between the National Park Service and the locals who live within the boundary of the park.

SPOLIER ALERT! Don't read past this if you plan on reading the book.

Bizarre events in this guys life. The thing with the senators daughter, (who he may have killed) having gone to high school with Lee Harvard Oslwald, his fathers suspected involvement with maybe bugging the place where the mistress of both John F. Kennedy and the the mob guy lived, pretty much ruining his twin brothers life with his bull shit, the TOTAL dominance of his family, and on and on. Good read. Looking forward to the rest of it.

Glad you are reading it, and enjoying the read. That was my only reason for posting it here.
(01-04-2015, 12:41 PM)Hugo Wrote:

I doubt it. Smiling

That is background info on the family, NOT what this book is actually about, and it's the entire BOOK you condemned.

As Wonky said:

Quote:The author is clever in arranging the sequence of events, has great descriptive skills, and is good at explaining the tension between the National Park Service and the locals who live within the boundary of the park.

Yet you condemn the book and the author without ever reading any of it. Neat skill you have there.....

Really? So I can't read what the book is about and still form an opinion of what it LOOKS LIKE "to me". What it appears like to me?
Isn't that EXACTLY what people do every single time they read a book review?
(01-04-2015, 12:57 PM)tvguy Wrote:

I doubt it. Smiling

As Wonky said:

Really? So I can't read what the book is about and still form an opinion of what it LOOKS LIKE "to me". What it appears like to me?

Well, for clarity, what it LOOKS LIKE TO YOU, happens to be an absolutely false description of the book. From the perspective of reality, you just happen to be wrong.
(01-04-2015, 01:17 PM)Hugo Wrote:
(01-04-2015, 12:57 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(01-04-2015, 12:08 PM)Hugo Wrote: So you read the book, and can point to excerpts to back up that statement?

I doubt it. Smiling

As Wonky said:

Well, for clarity, what it LOOKS LIKE TO YOU, happens to be an absolutely false description of the book. From the perspective of reality, you just happen to be wrong.

That's fine. I've been wrong before.That's probably not too unusual when someone comments on what something looks like when they admittedly haven't looked in to it at any great depth.
(01-04-2015, 12:43 PM)Hugo Wrote:
(01-03-2015, 01:15 PM)Valuesize Wrote:
(01-03-2015, 12:59 PM)tvguy Wrote: I don't the the reason to "Avoid" a show you have never seen? It showed pictures of the guy and his family that you find interesting. It told how he terrorized a family by butchering a goat right outside their window.
There was also a shooting spree in 1983 where another NUT killed six people.
The 100 year old dilapidated copper mine is very interesting to see.
I think the show is interesting and there's always fast forwardWink

Since this is a thread "For Book Lovers" I think he is more interested in finding a good read.

Well of course. I just thought he might be interested to see video of some of the same thing that's in the book.

I'm 150 pages into it and I'm almost sure the TV show would not have time to fill in the "back story" so important in the telling of this. But, I'll see it I can get it on video or Netflix.
The author is clever in arranging the sequence of events, has great descriptive skills, and is good at explaining the tension between the National Park Service and the locals who live within the boundary of the park.

Bizarre events in this guys life. The thing with the senators daughter, (who he may have killed) having gone to high school with Lee Harvard Oslwald, his fathers suspected involvement with maybe bugging the place where the mistress of both John F. Kennedy and the the mob guy lived, pretty much ruining his twin brothers life with his bull shit, the TOTAL dominance of his family, and on and on. Good read. Looking forward to the rest of it.

Glad you are reading it, and enjoying the read. That was my only reason for posting it here.

I finished it this afternoon (Sunday). Thanks again for suggesting it. A great cautionary tale of how a young mind can go off the tracks and ruin so many other lives.
I also learned a bit about the National Forest Service and it's history and I found that interesting. Remote Alaska may sound romantic but I want no part of it. Smiling
Seen in total the book is a "downer", but the many events make it a curious read and the story maintains it's arc very well, thanks to some very good writing.

Hey TVg...you'd like it. Razz
So, we're arguing about a book, right? And it's not the Bible, right?

Just checking, I wann'a be on the same page as y'all. Geek
(01-04-2015, 04:47 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(01-03-2015, 01:15 PM)Valuesize Wrote: Since this is a thread "For Book Lovers" I think he is more interested in finding a good read.

I finished it this afternoon (Sunday). Thanks again for suggesting it. A great cautionary tale of how a young mind can go off the tracks and ruin so many other lives.
I also learned a bit about the National Forest Service and it's history and I found that interesting. Remote Alaska may sound romantic but I want no part of it. Smiling
Seen in total the book is a "downer", but the many events make it a curious read and the story maintains it's arc very well, thanks to some very good writing.

Quote:Remote Alaska may sound romantic but I want no part of it. Smiling

I can't really say that. I don't want any part of it NOW. But when I was younger I think if I had moved their I may have loved it.

I know that I find it VERY interesting to see how people still live by hunting fishing and trapping alone.
My favorite TV show in the subject is "Yukon Men". Smiling
(01-04-2015, 05:39 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(01-03-2015, 02:56 PM)tvguy Wrote: Well of course. I just thought he might be interested to see video of some of the same thing that's in the book.

I can't really say that. I don't want any part of it NOW. But when I was younger I think if I had moved their I may have loved it.

I know that I find it VERY interesting to see how people still live by hunting fishing and trapping alone.

The author of "Pilgrims' Wilderness" remarks often how many of these folks who "live off the land" actually live off welfare and the Alaska Permeant Act.
(01-05-2015, 08:20 AM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(01-03-2015, 10:47 PM)Wonky3 Wrote: I'm 150 pages into it and I'm almost sure the TV show would not have time to fill in the "back story" so important in the telling of this. But, I'll see it I can get it on video or Netflix.

The author of "Pilgrims' Wilderness" remarks often how many of these folks who "live off the land" actually live off welfare and the Alaska Permeant Act.

The Alaska Permanent Fund is money that is given to Evey single resident of Alaska. It's not welfare and it's not enough money to live on.
It's money from a fund made possible from the billions of dollars of oil extracted from Alaska.
The fund was made to help future Alaskans benefit.
To include that with welfare and imply it is enough cash to live on is not accurate OR fair.

Alaska does have a high rate of people who are on public assistance. Alaska has a LOT of seasonal work plus they have a lot of native villages who are exempt from any time limits on welfare because of few job opportunities.

I think you need to actually watch the show I mentioned ("Yukon Men") to see how tough some of these people are and how hard they work.
(01-05-2015, 11:03 AM)tvguy Wrote:
(01-04-2015, 12:43 PM)Hugo Wrote: Glad you are reading it, and enjoying the read. That was my only reason for posting it here.

The Alaska Permanent Fund is money that is given to Evey single resident of Alaska. It's not welfare and it's not enough money to live on.
It's money from a fund made possible from the billions of dollars of oil extracted from Alaska.
To include that with welfare and imply it is enough cash to live on is not accurate OR fair.

Alaska does have a high rate of people who are on public assistance. Alaska has a LOT of seasonal work plus they have a lot of native villages who are exempt from any time limits on welfare because of few job opportunities.

I think you need to actually watch the show I mentioned ("Yukon Men") to see how tough some of these people are and how hard they work.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm not a huge TV fan and while I've only seen bits and pieces of reality TV, it didn't grab me.
[quote='Hugo' pid='351300' dateline='1420308547']
Pilgrim's Wilderness

Quote:Into the Wild meets Helter Skelter in this riveting true story of a modern-day homesteading family in the deepest reaches of the Alaskan wilderness -

<Snip>

I have a suggestion for a read you might like since you enjoyed this.
Not really in the same ball park, but nonfiction, and one hell of a story! "And the sea will tell" Written by Vincent T. Bugliosi, Jr (Helter Skelter) it's a page turner.

And Bugliosi, who was the DA who prosecuted Charlie Manson, got the writing bug after "Helter Skelter" and wrote several other things including "And the sea will tell". A good writer.
(01-05-2015, 08:44 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(01-04-2015, 04:47 PM)Wonky3 Wrote: I finished it this afternoon (Sunday). Thanks again for suggesting it. A great cautionary tale of how a young mind can go off the tracks and ruin so many other lives.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm not a huge TV fan and while I've only seen bits and pieces of reality TV, it didn't grab me.

Fair enough but I was trying to tell you about something that isn't the fake reality like so many "reality" TV shows.
Hey books are great but I like to actually see someone building a huge river fish trap or actually see how Dog sled dogs are raised fed and trained.
Or how a trap line is set up and worked. Or how some guys fly a tiny plane in to remote areas of wilderness all by themselves. How they set up camp, how they build cabins. How to skin an animal. how to catch prepare and smoke fish.How to reload ammunition
I like to actually see Caribou, Grizzly bears , Lynx, or actually see how vicious and tough and dangerous Wolverines really are.
(01-06-2015, 11:52 AM)tvguy Wrote:
(01-04-2015, 05:39 PM)tvguy Wrote: I can't really say that. I don't want any part of it NOW. But when I was younger I think if I had moved their I may have loved it.

Fair enough but I was trying to tell you about something that isn't the fake reality like so many "reality" TV shows.
Hey books are great but I like to actually see someone building a huge river fish trap or actually see how Dog sled dogs are raised fed and trained.
Or how a trap line is set up and worked. Or how some guys fly a tiny plane in to remote areas of wilderness all by themselves. How they set up camp, how they build cabins. How to skin an animal. how to catch prepare and smoke fish.How to reload ammunition
I like to actually see Caribou, Grizzly bears , Lynx, or actually see how vicious and tough and dangerous Wolverines really are.

Glad that works for you. When I remember to fire up the tube, I'll see if I can find "Yukon Men". Only fair then, that you might think of reading the book.
(01-06-2015, 01:27 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(01-05-2015, 08:20 AM)Wonky3 Wrote: The author of "Pilgrims' Wilderness" remarks often how many of these folks who "live off the land" actually live off welfare and the Alaska Permeant Act.

Glad that works for you. When I remember to fire up the tube, I'll see if I can find "Yukon Men". Only fair then, that you might think of reading the book.

"The book" The book you described as a "downer"? How about I just read "the old man and the" sea again. ;

All of the Yukon men episodes are on Youtube.

This one is from a show called "Mountain men". This man (Tom) is a very talented craftsman/artist.
He makes some beautiful items. Bows , knives. pelts etc. .

(01-06-2015, 02:41 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(01-05-2015, 11:03 AM)tvguy Wrote: The Alaska Permanent Fund is money that is given to Evey single resident of Alaska. It's not welfare and it's not enough money to live on.

"The book" The book you described as a "downer"? How about I just read "the old man and the" sea again. ;

This one is from a show called "Mountain men". This man (Tom) is a very talented craftsman/artist.

Wow! You are one tenacious dude! You are going to promote that "Yukon Thing" until hell freezes over.

Yeah, I said "Pilgrim Wilderness" was a downer. It was riddled with sadness about a man who mistreated himself and his family. But the story was a more complete description of many, many other things including a unique town on edge of a wildness and the people that were attracted to that place. The author built a arc into the story that explained the path this family (and others) had traveled to finally reach he point where either change or death had to happen. It was complex, detailed, and complete. Thank the gods for writers and books.

I'm not especially interested in guys who live to hunt bear and make their own shoes outta elk hide. But God love 'em, if that's what makes them happy more power to them.
(01-05-2015, 11:03 AM)tvguy Wrote: The Alaska Permanent Fund is money that is given to Evey single resident of Alaska. It's not welfare and it's not enough money to live on.

I don't watch much TV but do kind of like the reality shows about living of the grid in Alaska.
"Alaska the Last Frontier" is about a family of Homesteaders. Shure some of it is staged but some of the shit that happens to them and how they get out of it is OK.
(01-07-2015, 09:29 AM)Homebrew4u Wrote:
(01-05-2015, 08:44 PM)Wonky3 Wrote: Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm not a huge TV fan and while I've only seen bits and pieces of reality TV, it didn't grab me.

I don't watch much TV but do kind of like the reality shows about living of the grid in Alaska.
"Alaska the Last Frontier" is about a family of Homesteaders. Shure some of it is staged but some of the shit that happens to them and how they get out of it is OK.

Good stuff, I'm sure.
But this started as a Book Lovers thread and got a bit hijacked.
How about both?
Watch the reality stuff AND maybe read the title that was discussed here.