For Book Lovers
OK Wonker, I'll start another thread.
(01-07-2015, 03:28 PM)tvguy Wrote: OK Wonker, I'll start another thread.

Cool. "Reality Shows we know and love". By the way, how does one go about finding "reality shows"? Google? My wife watches "Dancing with the stars"; is that a reality show?
(01-08-2015, 08:54 AM)Wonky3 Wrote:

Cool. "Reality Shows we know and love". By the way, how does one go about finding "reality shows"? Google? My wife watches "Dancing with the stars"; is that a reality show?

What kind of TV do you have? Charter, Direct , Dish or rabbit ears?

Try Youtube.....

(01-08-2015, 11:23 AM)tvguy Wrote:

Try Youtube.....

Embarrassed Keep forgetting about You Tube. Mostly use it when I want to learn to fix the lawn mower. I'll check it out. Thanks.
(01-08-2015, 11:39 AM)Wonky3 Wrote:

Try Youtube.....

Embarrassed Keep forgetting about You Tube. Mostly use it when I want to learn to fix the lawn mower. I'll check it out. Thanks.

You can't fix a goat.
(01-08-2015, 12:42 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(01-08-2015, 11:39 AM)Wonky3 Wrote:

Try Youtube.....

You can't fix a goat.

LaughingLaughingLaughing You need your own TV show.
Back to books...

Recommend "Until Tuesday".
Nonfiction.
About a Vet who is paired with "Tuesday" a service dog who make a real change in his life.
Been reading some "serious stuff" and needed some mind candy.
Read "Girl on the train". Page turner, clever, if not very good writing. Was fun.

Started "The Boys in The Boat" today. Only into it about 100 pages but so far a good read.
(02-17-2015, 06:54 PM)Wonky3 Wrote: Been reading some "serious stuff" and needed some mind candy.
Read "Girl on the train". Page turner, clever, if not very good writing. Was fun.

Started "The Boys in The Boat" today. Only into it about 100 pages but so far a good read.

Finished it. Very good read!
(02-19-2015, 07:39 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(02-17-2015, 06:54 PM)Wonky3 Wrote: Been reading some "serious stuff" and needed some mind candy.

Finished it. Very good read!

Having no shame, I reply to my own post (of some time ago).

When I left you I was just starting "Boys in the Boat". I really enjoyed it! Nonfiction but a read that kept me turning pages.
A few other things I've enjoy recently, but of course I understand that we all have different tastes and you may not like 'em. For what it's worth: (Forgive me If I've posted any of these titles in previous posts: Most of these I've read recently, but could be one or two from last year)

"Lost Memory of Skin". Russell Banks, and as you know he lives in his own world but I thought this was a good read.

"The Whites" - A really good cop story.

"A Walk In The Woods" - (nonfiction) You either like Bill Bryson or you don't. I do.

"All the Light we Cannot See" - WW2 story told in unique viewpoint.

"Terms and Conditions" - Both funny and tragic. A good read.

"Until Tuesday" - Tuesday is a dog. What's not to like.

"The Rosie Project" - Just plain fun.

"This is Where I leave You" - About family. I liked it.

"The Ploughmen" - Kind of a cop story: But more. Loved it.

"So many books, so little time". Hope you will share some titles you have enjoyed. Now in the twilight of my golden years and no longer doing motorcycle tours, reading is my default form of staying occupied. I "should" be reading more serious stuff, but the hell with it, I've been there, done that, and now read mostly just for the joy of it.

For what its' worth...
Close enough to summer for "summer reads" (mind candy). 

"The Painter", by Peter Heller. Kind of dark, a lot about fly fishing, hard drinking, violence and sex, but IMHO a decent read. A good bet to open the escape door for a time out facing real life. 
"The Collapse" by Mary Elise Sarotte
subtitled "The Accidental Opening of the Berlin Wall"

All the stuff that never made it into the nightly news. A lot of people made just the right choices at just the right times. From Gorbachev to Politburo member Gunter Schabowski, from East German protesters (yes, they existed) to Stasi officers on the front lines of the boarder crossings, all had a (often unintentional) roll in the unplanned collapse of The Wall.

And you thought it was all Reagan's doing.

Non-fiction, of course.
(05-04-2015, 06:08 PM)Cuzz Wrote: "The Collapse" by Mary Elise Sarotte

All the stuff that never made it into the nightly news. A lot of people made just the right choices at just the right times. From Gorbachev to Politburo member Gunter Schabowski, from East German protesters (yes, they existed) to Stasi officers on the front lines of the boarder crossings, all had a (often unintentional) roll in the unplanned collapse of The Wall.

Non-fiction, of course.

Glad you posted this: I'm looking for some non-fiction and this might be it. 
(05-04-2015, 06:12 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:

Non-fiction, of course.

Started this, got into it about 80 pages and just couldn't keep my attention span on it. Could be just the wrong time to approach it and I'll try to get back to it later. 

Started "Jasckonland": About Andrew Jackson and how he sent the eastern Indian nations on the "Trail of Tears". (Well more than that, but that's the cruz of the thing). Not sure I'd recommend this either. Kind of drags. Like the title above I might wait for a different mood. 

After all, this is "summer reading" time. Looking for some good fiction. Anyone? 
(06-10-2015, 02:40 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:

Non-fiction, of course.

Started this, got into it about 80 pages and just couldn't keep my attention span on it. Could be just the wrong time to approach it and I'll try to get back to it later. 

Started "Jasckonland": About Andrew Jackson and how he sent the eastern Indian nations on the "Trail of Tears". (Well more than that, but that's the cruz of the thing). Not sure I'd recommend this either. Kind of drags. Like the title above I might wait for a different mood. 

After all, this is "summer reading" time. Looking for some good fiction. Anyone? 

No one? I thought someone here might suggest a good "summer read". (The post above about a month old).

Bye the way, I gave up on "Jacksonland" mentioned above. Maybe later, but not all that well done imho. (I really enjoyed "American Lion: Andrew Jackson in the white house" so thought this would be a good "follow-up---it's about Jackson's involvement in the "trial of tears")

Have enjoyed a few "summer reads", and post them for what it's worth, hoping for some titles some of you have enjoyed.

This is where I leave you
A Spool of Blue Thread
Department of speculaton
Fourth of July creek
Leaving Berlin
Station Eleven
The 100 year old man who climbed out the window
The Cold Dish
The Fixer
The Painter
The Racketeer 
To rise at a decent hour
We are not ourselves
The Sisters Brothers
(06-10-2015, 02:40 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:

Non-fiction, of course.

I missed this post before, sorry. But, you're right, it does start kind of slow setting the background. Still I found it interesting.
Here's one for you Wonky.

Shantyboat Journal by Harlan Hubbard and edited by Don Wallis

From the jacket liner - "Harlan and Anna Hubbard, newly married in middle age, build the boat of their dreams and drift down the Ohio and Mississippi rivers. Harlan is an artist and a writer with a poets eye for the beauty of the world. Anna is a musician and an elegant master of the arts of graceful living. For seven years (1944-1951) the Hubbards make their home on their little boat, drifting with the river, camping on the land."

Recommended for anyone who has a little Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn in 'em.
(07-12-2015, 11:44 AM)Cuzz Wrote: Here's one for you Wonky.

Shantyboat Journal by Harlan Hubbard and edited by Don Wallis

From the jacket liner - "Harlan and Anna Hubbard, newly married in middle age, build the boat of their dreams and drift down the Ohio and Mississippi rivers. Harlan is an artist and a writer with a poets eye for the beauty of the world. Anna is a musician and an elegant master of the arts of graceful living. For seven years (1944-1951) the Hubbards make their home on their little boat, drifting with the river, camping on the land."

Recommended for anyone who has a little Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn in 'em.
Thanks! I often enjoy those kind of reads. I'll look for it. 
Any thoughts about Harper Lee's new book?  
(07-18-2015, 09:43 AM)Tiamat Wrote: Any thoughts about Harper Lee's new book?  
I going to read it. I have some reservations about her reluctance to have it published and the whole hype surrounding it, but I'll read it. Hope you read it first and give us your opinion.