This thread is for the birds.Watching,feeding, photography
(01-01-2015, 10:16 AM)bbqboy Wrote: Pointing out unpleasant folks makes me unpleasant? Cool. Does your wife read your scolding and admonishments and shake her head? I would imagine she's grateful for the time you waste on here, as that means you can't be telling her how to behave at the same time. Has my disease caused me to be less tolerant of sanctimonious assholes? No doubt. I have no one to please or be true to except myself.
Happy New Years.

[Image: Angry-Bird1.jpg]
I believe we have the equivalent of Godwin's law. Just start talking about TV and there it goes.
(12-29-2014, 07:52 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(12-29-2014, 07:32 PM)Cuzz Wrote: I'm still trying to figure out how tvguy knows that first feller comes back every year. Unless they're on a first name basis, of course. Geek

Here's a story for ya. When I first moved to this property 25 years ago we bought the property along with a totally dilapidated 580 sq ft house. It had one outlet and one light switchRazz
Anyway the old man who lived and died here had bird houses nailed wired or tied to everything, bushes trees buildings etc. He made them out of whatever, milk jugs, boxes anything he could find.
Of course I tore down damn near everything and burned it all winter long.

You're a MONSTER!!
(01-01-2015, 10:40 AM)Tiamat Wrote:
(12-29-2014, 07:32 PM)Cuzz Wrote: I'm still trying to figure out how tvguy knows that first feller comes back every year. Unless they're on a first name basis, of course. Geek

Here's a story for ya. When I first moved to this property 25 years ago we bought the property along with a totally dilapidated 580 sq ft house. It had one outlet and one light switchRazz
Anyway the old man who lived and died here had bird houses nailed wired or tied to everything, bushes trees buildings etc. He made them out of whatever, milk jugs, boxes anything he could find.

You're a MONSTER!!

Laughing Actually I'm very considerate of what wildlife I have here. I have several bird houses. I try and leave brush or weds in some areas for what I call little islands of refuge for bugs lizards snakes whatever. I've even brought in lizards and released them all along my rock wall.
By back lot has a low area. It's actually a vernal pool and may have fairy shrimp. I've never really checked.
Anyway I planted poplars all along most of the 200 foot fence line. Thy grew like crazy and now for some reason the mourning doves live there.Big Grin
There are up to 30 of them that hang around.

I plan on building bat houses and planting milk weed for the Monarchs. I get the Swallowtails here also. I need to see what will attract them.
(01-01-2015, 11:05 AM)tvguy Wrote:

You're a MONSTER!!

Laughing Actually I'm very considerate of what wildlife I have here. I have several bird houses. I try and leave brush or weds in some areas for what I call little islands of refuge for bugs lizards snakes whatever. I've even brought in lizards and released them all along my rock wall.
By back lot has a low area. It's actually a vernal pool and may have fairy shrimp. I've never really checked.
Anyway I planted poplars all along most of the 200 foot fence line. Thy grew like crazy and now for some reason the mourning doves live there.Big Grin

I plan on building bat houses and planting milk weed for the Monarchs. I get the Swallowtails here also. I need to see what will attract them.

Well, the houses naturally. And open field for insects, since that's what they like. I never see swifts or swallows up close, but I do see them in the air sometimes. I think they are chimney swifts and such and not purple martins. I do see tanagers down near the bike path areas.
(01-01-2015, 11:15 AM)Tiamat Wrote:

You're a MONSTER!!

Well, the houses naturally. And open field for insects, since that's what they like. I never see swifts or swallows up close, but I do see them in the air sometimes. I think they are chimney swifts and such and not purple martins. I do see tanagers down near the bike path areas.

When I said swallowtails I meant butterfliesSmiling like these.......[Image: Swallowtail_butterfly_2.JPG]

The Swallows I have here at my place are tree swallows. I don't think I've seen any purple martins or swifts.
(01-01-2015, 11:30 AM)tvguy Wrote:
(12-29-2014, 07:52 PM)tvguy Wrote: Here's a story for ya. When I first moved to this property 25 years ago we bought the property along with a totally dilapidated 580 sq ft house. It had one outlet and one light switchRazz

You're a MONSTER!!

When I said swallowtails I meant butterfliesSmiling like these.......[Image: Swallowtail_butterfly_2.JPG]

The Swallows I have here at my place are tree swallows. I don't think I've seen any purple martins or swifts.

Oh yes, I swe swallowtails. Only rarely a monarch. I see milk thistle growing around these parts, but I wonder if it's the kind the monarchs really like. I've looked and never found a chrysalis on any. And the local stuff looks different fromt the stuff I usually see being hailed as monarch milk thistle.
(01-01-2015, 12:33 PM)Tiamat Wrote:
(01-01-2015, 10:40 AM)Tiamat Wrote: You're a MONSTER!!

Oh yes, I swe swallowtails. Only rarely a monarch. I see milk thistle growing around these parts, but I wonder if it's the kind the monarchs really like. I've looked and never found a chrysalis on any. And the local stuff looks different fromt the stuff I usually see being hailed as monarch milk thistle.

I don't think monarch butterflies likes milk thistle. It's milk WEED.
If you want to see what it looks like stop by the J. Herbert Stone Nursery sign along Hanley Road .
There is a patch planted there and some signs that tell about it.
My buddySmiling

[Image: 21psew.jpg]
[Image: 2i8x3sx.jpg]
Project bike?
(01-02-2015, 11:52 AM)Valuesize Wrote: Project bike?

Probably not. It's a pre war bike I found somewhere. It has a skip tooth chain and sprocket. No badge though so I don't know what brand it is.
(01-02-2015, 11:45 AM)tvguy Wrote:
(01-01-2015, 12:33 PM)Tiamat Wrote:
(01-01-2015, 11:05 AM)tvguy Wrote: Laughing Actually I'm very considerate of what wildlife I have here. I have several bird houses. I try and leave brush or weds in some areas for what I call little islands of refuge for bugs lizards snakes whatever. I've even brought in lizards and released them all along my rock wall.

I don't think monarch butterflies likes milk thistle. It's milk WEED.
If you want to see what it looks like stop by the J. Herbert Stone Nursery sign along Hanley Road .
There is a patch planted there and some signs that tell about it.

You are right. Brain fart moment. That's what I meant to say.
(01-02-2015, 11:50 AM)tvguy Wrote: [Image: 2i8x3sx.jpg]

I'd say that's a gold crowned sparrow?
(01-02-2015, 02:03 PM)Tiamat Wrote:
(01-02-2015, 11:50 AM)tvguy Wrote:

OK, I'll take your word for it. What kind is this one?.....

[Image: 2vx3m77.jpg]
(01-02-2015, 03:19 PM)tvguy Wrote:

I'm not familiar with that one. I'm thinking it's some kind of warbler.
(01-02-2015, 05:18 PM)Tiamat Wrote:

Actually, perhaps it's this bird:

[Image: northern-mockingbird-2.jpg]

A Northern Mockingbird. It looks a bit different from the mockingbirds I'm familiar with. Is it a bit larger of a bird? Bigger than a sparrow?
(01-02-2015, 07:46 PM)Tiamat Wrote:

A Northern Mockingbird. It looks a bit different from the mockingbirds I'm familiar with. Is it a bit larger of a bird? Bigger than a sparrow?

Yeah it's probably almost twice as big as a sparrow. I think you nailed it.
I've had them here for about three years.
I was delighted to hear them at first. They sing a song that's a copy of several birds and even a frog.
I thought it was awesome three years ago. Then a bunch of the stupid things arrived and they NEVER SHUT UP!!Laughing
(01-02-2015, 08:07 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(01-02-2015, 07:46 PM)Tiamat Wrote:
(01-02-2015, 02:03 PM)Tiamat Wrote: I'd say that's a gold crowned sparrow?

Yeah it's probably almost twice as big as a sparrow. I think you nailed it.
I've had them here for about three years.
I was delighted to hear them at first. They sing a song that's a copy of several birds and even a frog.
I thought it was awesome three years ago. Then a bunch of the stupid things arrived and they NEVER SHUT UP!!Laughing

Yep, that sounds like a mockingbird. They mimic anything. Car alarms, beepers, cats. Frogs. I actually have never seen a mockingbird here. They usually like urban areas, but I've never seen one.

You're a MONSTER!!

My friend just puts up swallow houses(a lot of them) around his property and he says that will attract them. Just face the houses to the East. If you have water that's even better because they like mosquitoes. Swallows keep the flying bug population down. If that is what you mean by Swallowtails