RIP RVF
This forum has died. Crying
I prefer to think of it as slow.
Slowly over many years. People leave for many reasons but it has no way of gaining new members. Occasionally, people find us because we discuss someone they know that has been in the news or one of the few members tells a friend about it.

Looking at the large members list I'd say most are transplants from the old Mail Tribune Forum which was very active until it was shut down. RVF was very slow in the beginning, had its heyday, and then dwindled to what we have now. Unless there is a way to feed the beast, the beast will starve.
(03-20-2015, 09:48 AM)GPnative Wrote: I prefer to think of it as slow.

My coffee forum is slower.
(03-20-2015, 09:59 AM)Valuesize Wrote: Slowly over many years. People leave for many reasons but it has no way of gaining new members. Occasionally, people find us because we discuss someone they know that has been in the news or one of the few members tells a friend about it.

Looking at the large members list I'd say most are transplants from the old Mail Tribune Forum which was very active until it was shut down. RVF was very slow in the beginning, had its heyday, and then dwindled to what we have now. Unless there is a way to feed the beast, the beast will starve.

I wonder if we have maybe been "Feeding The Beast" the wrong stuff.

So much polorized political and social posting, and so little actual dialog involving discussion. I too, plead guilty, and too often get trapped into reacting with opposite views rather than considering the content of information posted.

Movies? Too often we just post titles without any comment as to why we feel others might be interested.
Same with books. Very few exchanges about the content of stuff we have read.
Even our You Tube Video posts are often posted without content, suggesting we should simply understand why it was put out there to see.
Our politics are seldom discussed anywhere near a "center" point of view. For the most part we just "react".

Butt...maybe it's the nature of The Beast, that we continue to practice the same habits.

History would suggest it.
(03-20-2015, 09:08 AM)Snail Wrote: This forum has died. Crying

Died? More like murdered.
It all started when we got moderators and started banning people.
(03-20-2015, 12:53 PM)chuck white Wrote: It all started when we got moderators and started banning people.

Yep...spot on!
Okay, Here's a thought...

Read "The Martian", by Andy Weir and see if you can even stop yourself from coming back here to comment about it.

Then Watch "Take This Waltz" and let us know what you think.

Getting hooked on a series is fun: "Park's and Recreation " is fun and might provide something for discussion.

Want to discuss your favorite Podcast? "This American Life" is often good and "Wait Wait Don't Tell Me" is a weekly treat.

Fun (and affordable) places to eat in The Valley (and why).

Places to donate time and "give back" a bit...where?

Why sending Wonky3 money will bring you outstanding good luck!

Is TVg really a girl?

Best snack while watching TV?

Can one REALLY survive without GPS in the car?

How I spent my week's vacation in Roseburg.

...Lot's of stuff to chat about.
Wonky3 "Can one REALLY survive without GPS in the car?"

My GPS got lost. Why would I trust it to keep me found?? Neutral
(03-20-2015, 05:11 PM)Cuzz Wrote: Wonky3 "Can one REALLY survive without GPS in the car?"

Ours we named Faith. Timbuktu is a big place so we have faith she will take us where we need to go, but KNOW she will always get us home. (most importantly when my wife is driving) Big Grin
(03-20-2015, 05:42 PM)Valuesize Wrote:
(03-20-2015, 05:11 PM)Cuzz Wrote: Wonky3 "Can one REALLY survive without GPS in the car?"

Ours we named Faith. Timbuktu is a big place so we have faith she will take us where we need to go, but KNOW she will always get us home. (most importantly when my wife is driving) Big Grin

I took my GPS on a trip to Parkdale near Hood River a few years ago. Haven't seen it since. I've managed without it so far. I don't always end up taking the shortest route. And I've seen some country I didn't exactly plan on visiting but I can't say I've gotten lost 'cause, well, here I still am! Besides, what kind of adventure can be had when you're following directions all the time. Big Grin
(03-20-2015, 06:39 PM)Cuzz Wrote: I took my GPS on a trip to Parkdale near Hood River a few years ago. Haven't seen it since. I've managed without it so far. I don't always end up taking the shortest route. And I've seen some country I didn't exactly plan on visiting but I can't say I've gotten lost 'cause, well, here I still am! Besides, what kind of adventure can be had when you're following directions all the time. Big Grin

Most of the time I keep it set on "shortest route" rather than "fastest route" to intentionally take roads I wouldn't normally take.
(03-20-2015, 11:05 AM)Scrapper Wrote:
(03-20-2015, 09:08 AM)Snail Wrote: This forum has died. Crying

Died? More like murdered.

Yep... you get out of it what you put into it.... Wink
Where is Tia? Where are the others that used to post? And why did they stop posting?

Almost everyone that made comments I liked to read have left.

I think 2 or 3 days without a post from anyone does not bold well for this place.
(03-20-2015, 09:56 PM)Snail Wrote: Where is Tia? Where are the others that used to post? And why did they stop posting?

I think 2 or 3 days without a post from anyone does not bold well for this place.

People move on. There are as many reasons as there are people. You seem more worried than others so I made some cards for you to print. You can leave them anywhere you go in your daily routine. Maybe you can drum up some new blood. Big Grin

[Image: Capture_zpsd8eagolt.png]
(03-20-2015, 10:49 PM)Valuesize Wrote:
(03-20-2015, 09:56 PM)Snail Wrote: Where is Tia? Where are the others that used to post? And why did they stop posting?

People move on. There are as many reasons as there are people. You seem more worried than others so I made some cards for you to print. You can leave them anywhere you go in your daily routine. Maybe you can drum up some new blood. Big Grin

I would not say worried, but yeah I don't like talking to myself. I doubt you do either.

Thanks for those cards I will leave some at church and post some on community bulletin boards. I like how you take the lack of moderation, which I always considered a negative and turned it into a positive. If we do get some newbies, are we going to tear them to shreds right away or are we going to let them get comfortable first?
(03-21-2015, 08:35 AM)Snail Wrote:

I would not say worried, but yeah I don't like talking to myself. I doubt you do either.

Thanks for those cards I will leave some at church and post some on community bulletin boards. I like how you take the lack of moderation, which I always considered a negative and turned it into a positive. If we do get some newbies, are we going to tear them to shreds right away or are we going to let them get comfortable first?

History would show that newbies receive a 24 hour hall pass... before they're jumped.
(03-21-2015, 08:35 AM)Snail Wrote:

And there you have it.
It's all about attitude and social standards.
Imagine we are all sitting at a huge round oak table enjoying good food and drink. Really doubt we would hear a lot of "fuck you" kind of comments. And if so, a few fat lips would correct it.
At some point we really must learn to ignore the virtual skirt that protects us from the consequences of our verbiage while posting here.
Genuine interaction with interesting subjects is (IMHO) what will drive this place to be a spot more folks will be attracted to.

I confess I'm not optimistic. I suspect we have those here who have little social contact outside this venue. That, in itself, is not negative but if folks haven't practiced the art of social interaction they may be less able to add value to discussion here.

We can hope.
(03-21-2015, 08:35 AM)Snail Wrote: I would not say worried, but yeah I don't like talking to myself. I doubt you do either.

From what I understand, this forums original intent was to be lightly moderated. In a world that is continually adding rules upon rules, it's nice to have a place with so few.

It's also good to see what people will REALLY say without the fear of (as Wonky says) "getting a fat lip."

As far as attacking the newbies? There have been many new people (or old) members that have come along and not been attacked. The two most recent I can think of are jeep and kadylady, neither post much if any anymore, but I don't think it is because they were torn to shreds.