Man can adapt to climate change
(04-24-2015, 09:04 AM)Hugo Wrote: I happen to believe this study by Duke University.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/a...study.html

Why (or how?) do you read a website with so much advertising cluttering up the content? 

Better:  Wink  https://nicholas.duke.edu/news/global-wa...ase-models

I'll read it over breakfast....
(04-24-2015, 09:04 AM)Hugo Wrote: I happen to believe this study by Duke University.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/a...study.html

This is also from[b] Duke University. The study you like is just bastardized info from Duke that says what you want to hear.

[/b]
Quote: 

"Global warming is arguably the most serious environmental issue of our time, and because the root cause is intimately tied to our energy infrastructure, it is also one of the most difficult. The challenges are to: (i) enhance our understanding of the global climate system and its dependence on the global cycling of greenhouse gases through marine and terrestrial ecosystems; (ii) develop adaptation strategies for the inevitable climate disruptions we will face in the coming decades; and (iii) map out a pathway for transitioning from our fossil-fuel dependent infrastructure to one that relies on renewables and low-carbon energy sources in a manner that avoids the most dangerous consequences of global warming."
The Duke study explains why we haven't warmed up as fast as expected from global warming.
Basically it is against those who claim "since we haven't warmed the last 11 years, global warming doesn't exists "
It says the halt in warming is because we are in a natural cooling period. If we have a natural warming period then temp would rise faster than predicted.
(04-24-2015, 06:17 PM)chuck white Wrote: The Duke study explains why we haven't warmed up as fast as expected from global warming.
Basically it is against those who claim "since we haven't warmed the last 11 years, global warming doesn't exists "
It says the halt in warming is because we are in a natural cooling period. If we have a natural warming period then temp would rise faster than predicted.

Hugo might suggest that "man's behavior" has little effect on climate. 
Others suggest man's behavior (burning carbon fuels) is primarily responsible. 
Truth be told, most scientists report that it's a combination of things, both what the 7 billion of us are doing, and what nature does (ocean currents, etc) that would effect the climate anyway. 

But to suggest that mankind's behavior does not effect changes is climate to some degree is simply ignorant. 
(04-24-2015, 08:04 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(04-24-2015, 06:17 PM)chuck white Wrote: The Duke study explains why we haven't warmed up as fast as expected from global warming.

Truth be told, most scientists report that it's a combination of things, both what the 7 billion of us are doing, and what nature does (ocean currents, etc) that would effect the climate anyway. 

But to suggest that mankind's behavior does not effect changes is climate to some degree is simply ignorant. 

I have never said "no" effect.  I have questioned what can REALISTICALLY be done about it.
To me, the Duke study gives more credence to the NATURE part of the climate than do the extremists HERE who insist it is ALL OUR FAULT AND DOING.  And then those extremists HERE suggest (ignorantly, with ZERO to back it up) that somehow financially burdening EVERYONE with a "carbon tax" will somehow change the planet's mind on how it does things.  Like the latest Volcano activity in Chile....
(04-24-2015, 08:10 PM)Hugo Wrote:
(04-24-2015, 08:04 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:

I have never said "no" effect.  I have questioned what can REALISTICALLY be done about it.
To me, the Duke study gives more credence to the NATURE part of the climate than do the extremists HERE who insist it is ALL OUR FAULT AND DOING.  And then those extremists HERE suggest (ignorantly, with ZERO to back it up) that somehow financially burdening EVERYONE with a "carbon tax" will somehow change the planet's mind on how it does things.  Like the latest Volcano activity in Chile....
We can do nothing to stop volcanic eruptions and the effects they have on our atmosphere. Obviously. 
There may be many other natural occurrences that effect climate and, again, we can't control that. 
But what we can control is the behavior of the some 7 billion folks now living on this blue planet. There is no doubt that human activity has some effect on effecting our weather and climate. 
A carbon tax may not be a solution. Perhaps a partial fix, maybe not worth the effort for all I know. 
But EXXON, PB, Standard Oil, and the other giant oil company's are pouring HUGE amounts of money into our political processes to insure we continue our dependance on carbon based fuels. Their only concern is the profits to their shareholders and that behavior is cynical and evil. 
No rational person would suggest we can suddenly stop using gasoline, or all the other carbon fuels we need immediately. But, given the very good chance that our climate might change, seal levels rise, crops fail, and other disasters that climate change could bring, it would be in our best interest to start now in looking for other options. 
It's time we recognize the potential dangers facing us and allot all the resources we can to science to look for sources of energy to replace oil. And too, we must change our practices of using energy unnecessarily. 
This argument is far too political and should be a social issue embraced by the entire world population. 
The planet will, in time, die a natural death when our sun burns out.
But, we could very well hasten that time by our ignorant and ill responsible attitude and behavior and make this planet all but unlivable for our grandchildren long before the natural death that may well be millions of years from now. 

Let's not let our ignorance kill us. 
When we see such a spectacular volcanic eruption as the most recent one in Chile, you'd think it must be one of the largest causes of CO2 in our atmosphere. I was shocked to read at sites like USGS that the combined total of all other natural and man made CO2 emissions are 135 times more than what the total worldwide yearly volcanic output is. 
(04-24-2015, 10:05 PM)Valuesize Wrote: When we see such a spectacular volcanic eruption as the most recent one in Chile, you'd think it must be one of the largest causes of CO2 in our atmosphere. I was shocked to read at sites like USGS that the combined total of all other natural and man made CO2 emissions are 135 times more than what the total worldwide yearly volcanic output is. 

Thanks for that. Curious, I went to the (a) website:
http://hvo.wr.usgs.gov/volcanowatch/arch...02_15.html
For those who might be interested. 
Or this:
http://cdiac.ornl.gov

I was surprised by these numbers and to my untrained and non scientific mind it supports the view that our societies all over the globe need to shift gears, fund research, and get serious about convincing the giant oil company's to use their vast resources to fund alliterative options for energy. 

Good digging VS. 
Edit: I just wanted to say that this is the link that mentioned the 135% figure and it's good for non-scientist type people like me.

http://volcanoes.usgs.gov/hazards/gas/climate.php

I'm on my tablet and will add more later
Quote:Human-caused global warming is responsible for 3 out of 4 super hot days

http://www.usnews.com/news/world/article...y-hot-days
CLIMATE CHANGE[b] 

Atmospheric carbon dioxide hits milestone
[/b]

Levels now at 400ppm globally

By Seth Borenstein

The Associated Press

WASHINGTON — Global levels of carbon dioxide, the most prevalent heat-trapping gas, have passed a daunting milestone, federal scientists say.

The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration says in March, the global monthly average for carbon dioxide hit 400.83 parts per million. That is the first
 month in modern records that the entire globe broke 400 ppm, reaching levels that haven't been seen in about 2 million years.

'It's both disturbing and daunting,' said NOAA chief greenhouse gas scientist Pieter Tans. 'Daunting from the standpoint on how hard it is to slow this down.'

He said it is disturbing because it is happening at a pace so fast that it seems like an explosion compared to Earth's slow-moving natural changes.

Carbon dioxide isn't just higher, it is increasing at a
 record pace, 100 times faster than natural rises in the past, Tans said.

Pushed by the burning of coal, oil and gas, global carbon dioxide is 18 percent higher than it was in 1980, when NOAA first calculated a worldwide average. In 35 years, carbon dioxide levels rose 61 parts per million. In pre-human times, it took about 6,000 years for carbon dioxide to rise about 80 parts per million, Tans said.

Monthly levels fluctuate with the season, peaking in May and then decreasing as plants absorb carbon dioxide.
 But they are increasing on a year-to-year basis.

Levels are also higher in the Northern Hemisphere because that's where carbon dioxide is being spewed by power plants and vehicles, Tans said.

The first time levels passed the 400 ppm milestone was for just a few weeks in the Arctic in 2012. Last year the monthly Northern Hemisphere average measured in Hawaii exceeded 400 and now the global average has as well, said James Butler, head of NOAA's global monitoring division.

[Image: Image_0.jpg]
Eric Moglia of NOAA’s Cooperative Institute for Research in Environmental Sciences prepares air sample canisters at Earth System Research Laboratory in Boulder, Colo., before shipping to sampling sites around the world. NOAA PHOTO 
(05-10-2015, 07:35 PM)Wonky3 Wrote: CLIMATE CHANGE[b] 

[/b]

By Seth Borenstein

The Associated Press

WASHINGTON — Global levels of carbon dioxide, the most prevalent heat-trapping gas, have passed a daunting milestone, federal scientists say.

The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration says in March, the global monthly average for carbon dioxide hit 400.83 parts per million. That is the first
 month in modern records that the entire globe broke 400 ppm, reaching levels that haven't been seen in about 2 million years.

'It's both disturbing and daunting,' said NOAA chief greenhouse gas scientist Pieter Tans. 'Daunting from the standpoint on how hard it is to slow this down.'

He said it is disturbing because it is happening at a pace so fast that it seems like an explosion compared to Earth's slow-moving natural changes.

Pushed by the burning of coal, oil and gas, global carbon dioxide is 18 percent higher than it was in 1980, when NOAA first calculated a worldwide average. In 35 years, carbon dioxide levels rose 61 parts per million. In pre-human times, it took about 6,000 years for carbon dioxide to rise about 80 parts per million, Tans said.

Monthly levels fluctuate with the season, peaking in May and then decreasing as plants absorb carbon dioxide.

Levels are also higher in the Northern Hemisphere because that's where carbon dioxide is being spewed by power plants and vehicles, Tans said.

The first time levels passed the 400 ppm milestone was for just a few weeks in the Arctic in 2012. Last year the monthly Northern Hemisphere average measured in Hawaii exceeded 400 and now the global average has as well, said James Butler, head of NOAA's global monitoring division.

Eric Moglia of NOAA’s Cooperative Institute for Research in Environmental Sciences prepares air sample canisters at Earth System Research Laboratory in Boulder, Colo., before shipping to sampling sites around the world. NOAA PHOTO 

Thanks Wonky , I was going to post this for the deniers. I wonder what bullshit answer they will have to rebuke this new information.
It sure seems to me this really blows holes in the old "it's all cyclical" explanation for our warming climate.
(05-11-2015, 07:40 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(05-10-2015, 07:35 PM)Wonky3 Wrote: CLIMATE CHANGE[b] 

[/b]

By Seth Borenstein

The Associated Press

Thanks Wonky , I was going to post this for the deniers. I wonder what bullshit answer they will have to rebuke this new information.
It sure seems to me this really blows holes in the old "it's all cyclical" explanation for our warming climate.

There is one tiny problem with stuff like this...
Tiny: But still:

Remember back in the day when they told us if we toked up one joint we would be hooked for life? Then we found out it was bull shit. But, then some folks figured what the hell, they lied about that so they started doing a little crank. No lie. 

Not a great analogy but truth to power.

When we read stuff like that thing I posted we can't dismiss the fact that a whole lot of stuff going on with our change in climate almost certainly has a lot to do with the cycles our planet goes though. Tree rings, and all that...

But, what this piece does show us, and clearly, is that with now some 7 billion folks crowding the place, what "man" does is really very important. Critical as a matter of fact. Scientific fact. 

We are all in this together. If we let the science rule and the rid ourselves of the stupid dogma we may just have a chance. 

Me? I'm the guy with two cars (in a two person household), a gas lawnmower, edger, blower, plus a BBQ hooked up to my gas meter. 

So I'm not preaching. I'm only joining the crowd who is suggesting to those who rune this place that they should reign in folks like me before the place goes dark. 
Quote:The CIA Is Shutting Down Its Secretive Climate Change Research Project

http://io9.com/the-cia-is-shutting-down-...1706295341
(05-26-2015, 12:59 PM)chuck white Wrote:
Quote:The CIA Is Shutting Down Its Secretive Climate Change Research Project

http://io9.com/the-cia-is-shutting-down-...1706295341

Ha! You REALLY believe what the CIA tells us?  Laughing

PS: Don't, DO NOT, pray for rain. A bunch of Baptists in Dallas did and looks like they prayed too long and hard.