Jobs - Rogue Valley to Texas.
[b]Motorcycle Superstore headed for Texas [/b]

(From Sat Mail Tribune) 

Relocation will affect 118 jobs in Medford 

By Greg Stiles

Mail Tribune

Rogue Valley-bred Motorcycle Superstore will hit the road for the wide open spaces in Texas, taking nearly 120 jobs with it over the next 10 months.

Founded by Don Becklin during the 1990s in Grants Pass and headquartered in Medford since 2000, Motorcycle Superstore and Motorcycle USA have been successful in most ways, but haven't been able to attract all the workers desired by its present owner.

Motorsport Aftermarket Group, an Irvine, Calif.based company controlled by Indianapolis-based LDI Ltd. (Lacey Diversified Industries), informed employees at the company's Chevy Way offices Thursday it will end local operations around March 2016, with the first relocations coming in August. Motorcycle USA, which has fewer than 10 employees, will remain in Medford, but shift to a smaller building.

This is only part of the article: I'm not smart enough to find out how to get the entire thing from the archive. In the Saturday paper, it the outfit said they couldn't find folks locally who could do the work, and couldn't attract people from out of the area. I suspect it's just so much BS because they have merged with another huge motorcycle online outfit and want to move for other reasons. 

Still, it might indicate that for our younger folks here in the valley, it will pay to have skills that are more than just cutting down trees or flipping burgers. Tough times for our younger folks. Let's do all we can to provide them with our support (maybe even more taxes) to provide training and teaching. And...all we can to keep them from turning to the quick fix of drugs. 
Jobs... Cascade Wood Products in White City is practically BEGGING for employees. Can you piss in a cup?
(06-08-2015, 09:33 AM)Hugo Wrote: Jobs...  Cascade Wood Products in White City is practically BEGGING for employees.  Can you piss in a cup?
Holy cow! Is THAT the issue? I have no patience with folks who are out of work but can't get a job because of drug issues. I understand drugs can be seductive and hard to quit, but it CAN be done and folks need to step up and be responsible. 
(06-08-2015, 11:12 AM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(06-08-2015, 09:33 AM)Hugo Wrote: Jobs...  Cascade Wood Products in White City is practically BEGGING for employees.  Can you piss in a cup?
Holy cow! Is THAT the issue? I have no patience with folks who are out of work but can't get a job because of drug issues. I understand drugs can be seductive and hard to quit, but it CAN be done and folks need to step up and be responsible. 

Ding! Ding! Ding!  We have a winner! 
And... what happens once marijuana is legalized next month?!?!
(06-08-2015, 12:01 PM)Scrapper Wrote:

I still won't drink out of that cup.
(06-08-2015, 12:50 PM)chuck white Wrote:

I think if I wanted/needed a job, a could forgo using the weed. If I couldn't (or would not) I'd have a problem more troubling than just using weed. 

Are you implying that because pot will be legal that people will be seduced and unable to obtain or keep a job?

I think anyone who couldne't find weed before must have been living under a rock. And how many people will only become useless jobless slobs NOW when  before you could get a ticket for having weed.

What about alcoholics? Will you rail against them and proclaim you have no patience . Do you think alcohol can be seductive and hard to quit if folks simply step up and be responsible?
Do we talk a lot about the millions or tens of  millions of people who can't keep a job because of beer? Or who ruin their health, break up their families or kill others driving drunk?
Not to mention that the vast majority of people jailed in this country were drunk when they committed what ever the crime was.

I'm not talking about you Wonky but it seems to me that those who speak the loudest against legal pot are the biggest alcohol users.
(06-08-2015, 02:41 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(06-08-2015, 12:50 PM)chuck white Wrote:

I think if I wanted/needed a job, a could forgo using the weed. If I couldn't (or would not) I'd have a problem more troubling than just using weed. 
I agree 100% and I've known a few who would not stop smoking weed in order to get a better job.

Having said that I always have had a problem with drug testing because Marijuana stays in a persons system longer than harder more dangerous drugs.
Not allowing people to get or keep a job because they used marijuana when they were off the clock is stupid.
Especially when every day millions of Americans show up for work hung over and not fit for work  .
(06-08-2015, 06:19 PM)tvguy Wrote:

Are you implying that because pot will be legal that people will be seduced and unable to obtain or keep a job?

I think anyone who couldne't find weed before must have been living under a rock. And how many people will only become useless jobless slobs NOW when  before you could get a ticket for having weed.

It stays in the blood stream for awhile.

It is a big issue, but it's not the only issue.  With the combinations of Unemployment Insurance, welfare, foodstamps, and an ever increasing minimum wage, it is just getting more difficult to find anyone actually willing to WORK.

When I started working in the Mills at 18 years old, minimm wage was around $3 per hour.  I made $10.  TRIPLE the minimum was a livable wage for a family starting out.  The minimum wage now is over inflated in my opinion.  It should be around $7 instead of approaching $10.  Businesses' (like a Mill) CAN NOT pay triple minimum wage anymore, and stay in business, so the folks that work there are no longer in the middle class, they are now "low income". 

Also society has created an environment conducive to being lazy and just raking in Guvment money instead of working.

Just my opinion.
(06-09-2015, 08:45 AM)Hugo Wrote:

It is a big issue, but it's not the only issue.  With the combinations of Unemployment Insurance, welfare, foodstamps, and an ever increasing minimum wage, it is just getting more difficult to find anyone actually willing to WORK.

When I started working in the Mills at 18 years old, minimm wage was around $3 per hour.  I made $10.  TRIPLE the minimum was a livable wage for a family starting out.  The minimum wage now is over inflated in my opinion.  It should be around $7 instead of approaching $10.  Businesses' (like a Mill) CAN NOT pay triple minimum wage anymore, and stay in business, so the folks that work there are no longer in the middle class, they are now "low income". 

Also society has created an environment conducive to being lazy and just raking in Guvment money instead of working.

Just my opinion.
And a fine opinon. Ah, those were the days. 

I pretty much agree with your feelings about so many folks learning to scam the system. I recently read a thing about far too many folks scamming Social Security disability for instance. No doubt that "personal responsibility" has been in decline for some time. The proof of the pudding seems to be that almost ALL of us know of someone finding ways to "beat the system". Damn shame. 

I read a thing some time ago titled "The Unwinding", George Packer, that is a really great (and easy) read and looks at how the lives of both the working folks and super rich folks have fared since about 1973. 

Whatever: We can at least each take responsibility for our own lives and our families and start there I guess. We know that at some point this stuff has got to change and "our society" needs to get back on track. I wish it was as simple as electing the right politicians, but I'm afraid it's more complicated than that. 

Just my opinion.

People that don't WANT to work in a mill because they THINK it should pay 3 times the minimum wage are stupid, lazy A-holes.
Triple minimum wage should be for jobs that put a person's life on the line (military that are actually sent to war zones, police, fire, etc.) or jobs that require extensive (and expensive) schooling/training.
Not mill workers.
(06-09-2015, 09:59 AM)Scrapper Wrote:

Just my opinion.

People that don't WANT to work in a mill because they THINK it should pay 3 times the minimum wage are stupid, lazy A-holes.
Triple minimum wage should be for jobs that put a person's life on the line (military that are actually sent to war zones, police, fire, etc.) or jobs that require extensive (and expensive) schooling/training.
Not mill workers.

So you're saying that in the early '80s when I was making 3 times the minimum, and lived a middle class life, I was overpaid?  Have you ever pulled green chain in a Mill?
(06-09-2015, 10:04 AM)Hugo Wrote:
(06-09-2015, 09:59 AM)Scrapper Wrote:

Just my opinion.

Not mill workers.

So you're saying that in the early '80s when I was making 3 times the minimum, and lived a middle class life, I was overpaid?  Have you ever pulled green chain in a Mill?

Absolutely.  
No, I'm not a mill worker.  I know it's not easy work, it's work.  There are many jobs that require more and get paid a lot less.  Do you think your job pulling green chain was worthy of a better income than the military on the line in war zones?!?!  I don't think so.
(06-09-2015, 10:04 AM)Hugo Wrote: So you're saying that in the early '80s when I was making 3 times the minimum, and lived a middle class life, I was overpaid?  Have you ever pulled green chain in a Mill?

No, but I ran one of these machines at my uncle's bag company for summer work while in high school. I think the minimum wage was under $3.00 at that time. Oh the good old days when you were happy to get a 10 cent raise...  Laughing

In my own (very humble) opinion I think a couple of the above posts might be missing the mark that Hugo wanted to make. 

Green chain work and the military? Apples/oranges I think, and misses the point of changing times that Hugo made so clear. (Yes, hard work should pay well too) 

Working as a teen in a family business for 3 bucks an hour? A good point, but not ON point here I suspect. 

I take Hugo's expressions that even in these times there a at least a few jobs (like the one he posted) that are out there. He also makes a valid point that there are far too many people who will only take a real job as a last resort because all too often they have found some way to scam the system. And of course there are jobs out there (like the ones at Motorcycle superstore that started this topic) that too many folks are not qualified for. That's a whole different subject but important and our young folks really MUST become serious students. 

This is an intensely local (and for some, personal) topic that we can pay attention to and do whatever possible to help promote whatever will provide solutions.