7-7-15 8:20pm Breaking News
KDRV NewsWatch 12

***POWER OUTAGES ACROSS JACKSON COUNTY...KDRV IS CURRENTLY OFF-AIR...WE ARE WORKING TO GET SERVICE RESTORED AS SOON AS POSSIBLE***
KDRV NewsWatch 12

Pacific Power is reporting power outages in the zip codes of 97501, 97504 and 97535...Estimated time of restoration: 11:30 p.m. PDT...Approximately 2,848 customers are without power.
It pays to have underground utilities! Nice light show though!
Someone posted this video of Ashland on FB... anyone know the scoop?  Is the flooding from rain?

https://www.facebook.com/ryan.mcconkey.7...272533264/
(07-07-2015, 10:17 PM)Scrapper Wrote: Someone posted this video of Ashland on FB... anyone know the scoop?  Is the flooding from rain?

What else?
(07-08-2015, 09:38 AM)tvguy Wrote:
(07-07-2015, 10:17 PM)Scrapper Wrote: Someone posted this video of Ashland on FB... anyone know the scoop?  Is the flooding from rain?

What else?

Uhhh... beats me... a broken water main?!?!   Rolling Eyes
(07-08-2015, 09:43 AM)Scrapper Wrote:
(07-08-2015, 09:38 AM)tvguy Wrote:

What else?

Uhhh... beats me... a broken water main?!?!   Rolling Eyes
Smiling  When we had the giant New years flood in 1999? I remember seeing the same thing in Ashland. I think Just the way the ground slopes and the creeks come down the mountain it's prone for water to flood the streets with a current.
I remember this county commissioner we had (Rick Holt) fat guy that smoked and loved to blab on newstalk radio with Rose and Garth. IMO they were all fools on some issues but still likeable.
Rick's big thing was trying to save Elk creek dam. He actually talked about the flood damage in Ashland as a reason we should finish Elk creek dam Blink Blink
The opposite side of the street from me has been without power for 24 hours. Just that side. Every other street surrounding, as well as mine has power.  WTF?
(07-08-2015, 10:14 PM)Tiamat Wrote: The opposite side of the street from me has been without power for 24 hours. Just that side. Every other street surrounding, as well as mine has power.  WTF?

Well there are different power grids. There has to be a separation somewhere. Plus when there is an outage the power company can minimize the amount of people affected using disconnect switches while they repair the fault.

I would say the amount of time the power was off (24 hours) has less to do with the difficulty of the repair. And a LOT to do with the amount of repairs they have all over the valley.

Right Wonky? That's more his bag. Wink
(07-09-2015, 11:26 AM)tvguy Wrote:
(07-08-2015, 10:14 PM)Tiamat Wrote: The opposite side of the street from me has been without power for 24 hours. Just that side. Every other street surrounding, as well as mine has power.  WTF?

Well there are different power grids. There has to be a separation somewhere. Plus when there is an outage the power company can minimize the amount of people affected using disconnect switches while they repair the fault.

I would say the amount of time the power was off (24 hours) has less to do with the difficulty of the repair. And a LOT to do with the amount of repairs they have all over the valley.

Nope. Years ago, this happened on my street, only it was my side. When we finally got through to the repair line, they said they couldn't even see that that section of the grid was out and if a call hadn't been made nothing would have been done..  I mentioned this to the neighbors. Because so many power outages were occurring, PP
 weren't taking any new repair calls.  So, eventually, last night, they were able to get through on the line.  And guess what they said?  Oh, they didn't even know that portion of the grid was out.  It's all fine and good, I get it, it was a huge storm and lots going on, but when  you can't even get through to report it, and their technology doesn't show it, it can be a tiny bit frustrating when  you feel like the system isn't even aware of you.
(07-09-2015, 07:49 PM)Tiamat Wrote:

Nope. Years ago, this happened on my street, only it was my side. When we finally got through to the repair line, they said they couldn't even see that that section of the grid was out and if a call hadn't been made nothing would have been done..  I mentioned this to the neighbors. Because so many power outages were occurring, PP
 weren't taking any new repair calls.  So, eventually, last night, they were able to get through on the line.  And guess what they said?  Oh, they didn't even know that portion of the grid was out.  It's all fine and good, I get it, it was a huge storm and lots going on, but when  you can't even get through to report it, and their technology doesn't show it, it can be a tiny bit frustrating when  you feel like the system isn't even aware of you.

Probably like everything else Pacific power went all bureaucratic. I used to have the phone number that took me right to the main desk where they dispatched their guys.
Or I could drive right in their compound and walk in and talk to the guys. Then one day ALL calls had to go through some main office in.... Freaking Utah.
They put up electric gates and no one but their personnel could get in.They became very hard to deal with.
They always had a way to piss people off and it seemed like I was always defending them.
You would think it wouldn't be that hard to have someone take calls that was actually familiar with THIS area .

I'm glad I'm done dealing with all that.
(07-09-2015, 08:21 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(07-09-2015, 07:49 PM)Tiamat Wrote:

Probably like everything else Pacific power went all bureaucratic. I used to have the phone number that took me right to the main desk where they dispatched their guys.
Or I could drive right in their compound and walk in and talk to the guys. Then one day ALL calls had to go through some main office in.... Freaking Utah.
They put up electric gates and no one but their personnel could get in.They became very hard to deal with.
They always had a way to piss people off and it seemed like I was always defending them.
You would think it wouldn't be that hard to have someone take calls that was actually familiar with THIS area .

I'm glad I'm done dealing with all that.

What? You are no longer on the grid?

Tia: Yep, one would think the power company could now look at their grid info and know that one transformer is down and folks are in the dark. I left the industry over 20 years ago and we had to depend on folks calling and letting us know they did not have power if I was just one transformer span down. I'm surprized that stuff is not somehow computerized by now. No fun when the Ben & Jerry melts!