So, ya think ya REALLY wanna be a cop?
(08-03-2015, 02:17 PM)Scrapper Wrote:
(08-03-2015, 12:31 PM)SFLiberal Wrote:
(07-09-2015, 10:20 PM)chuck white Wrote: I don't have the personality to be a cop.

I think drug use and a criminal record are also disqualifiers.
If you think cops don't do drugs or things that are illegal. . . You're more stupid than I thought.

To be fair he actually said drug use and a criminal record will disqualify someone from becoming a cop. Pretty sure that's true.

And compared to most civilians I have no doubt most cops obey our laws.
(07-09-2015, 10:20 PM)chuck white Wrote: I don't have the personality to be a cop.

If you think cops don't do drugs or things that are illegal. . . You're more stupid than I thought.

Well sure. But you say "If you don't think cops..."
Some, sure. I'd guess a few. 
Many? I doubt it. 
(08-03-2015, 02:28 PM)tvguy Wrote:

To be fair he actually said drug use and a criminal record will disqualify someone from becoming a cop. Pretty sure that's true.

Pretty sure he was alluding to CW having a drug/criminal record. We don't know that.
(08-03-2015, 06:00 PM)Scrapper Wrote:

Pretty sure he was alluding to CW having a drug/criminal record.  We don't know that.

OK , you are right we don't know Smiling
(08-03-2015, 08:56 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(08-03-2015, 06:00 PM)Scrapper Wrote:
(08-03-2015, 12:31 PM)SFLiberal Wrote: I think drug use and a criminal record are also disqualifiers.

Pretty sure he was alluding to CW having a drug/criminal record.  We don't know that.

OK , you are right we don't know Smiling

I'm always one step ahead of them.
A lot of us who finished high school and were not "college  material" looked at our options about work. 

I finished my military service in the San Francisco Bay area and wanted to stay there. I took tests for some city jobs, (fire department, police, and water department) and interviewed at Ma Bell and the utility company. I passed the initial tests for the police and fire department but really knew I didn't want those jobs. I took a job with the utility company, and it worked out really well for me. Stayed and retired after about 35 years. 

Point being, I think it takes special kind of people to be cops or firemen, but especially police. Even then, I knew I did not want to be a cop, and I don't think I would have been a very good one. 

So, first, people should "self select" knowing something about themselves and not becoming part of the force just for the work, and second, there should be rigorous testing to make sure we get the right folks for the service. And that means we need to pay them well and honor their commitment to a very dangerous job. 

I don't want to live in a society not well policed. All the chatter about our police and the problems with folks in very different social settings may be coming to a head. We need the conversation, and we (society) needs to find a reasonable way to bridge the conflicts we now have. Let's hope we are on our way to learning how to make the changes that must be made. 
(08-04-2015, 07:49 AM)Wonky3 Wrote: A lot of us who finished high school and were not "college  material" looked at our options about work. 

I finished my military service in the San Francisco Bay area and wanted to stay there. I took tests for some city jobs, (fire department, police, and water department) and interviewed at Ma Bell and the utility company. I passed the initial tests for the police and fire department but really knew I didn't want those jobs. I took a job with the utility company, and it worked out really well for me. Stayed and retired after about 35 years. 

Point being, I think it takes special kind of people to be cops or firemen, but especially police. Even then, I knew I did not want to be a cop, and I don't think I would have been a very good one. 

So, first, people should "self select" knowing something about themselves and not becoming part of the force just for the work, and second, there should be rigorous testing to make sure we get the right folks for the service. And that means we need to pay them well and honor their commitment to a very dangerous job. 

I don't want to live in a society not well policed. All the chatter about our police and the problems with folks in very different social settings may be coming to a head. We need the conversation, and we (society) needs to find a reasonable way to bridge the conflicts we now have. Let's hope we are on our way to learning how to make the changes that must be made. 

There are a few bad cops but for the most part it's blown out of proportion that they are RACIST cops.

That is always assumed and believed by too many people. If a cop shoots a guy he shouldn't have it's white cop shoots black guy.
Even the freaking media leads the public to an assumption.

On the other hand the disproportionate amount of crime and violence by blacks doesn't go unnoticed by police. So OF Course cops will profile, stereotype and be more cautious or afraid when they deal with blacks.

Who the hell wouldn't?
(08-04-2015, 03:10 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(08-04-2015, 07:49 AM)Wonky3 Wrote: A lot of us who finished high school and were not "college  material" looked at our options about work. 

There are a few bad cops but for the most part it's blown out of proportion that they are RACIST cops.

That is always assumed and believed by too many people. If a cop shoots a guy he shouldn't have it's white cop shoots black guy.

On the other hand the disproportionate amount of crime and violence by blacks doesn't go unnoticed by police. So OF Course cops will profile, stereotype and be more cautious or afraid when they deal with blacks.

Who the hell wouldn't?

Good point! But when a white cop raised in a middle class environment becomes a cop and is detailed to a ghetto area he has a responsibility to under understand he is in "an different place" and must adjust his attitude to the reality of the place he is in. Most do. Some don't. Those that don't are soon found out, I think. And I think it takes a very special kind of person to do that work in those kind of places. 
(08-04-2015, 04:24 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:

Who the hell wouldn't?

Good point! But when a white cop raised in a middle class environment becomes a cop and is detailed to a ghetto area he has a responsibility to under understand he is in "an different place" and must adjust his attitude to the reality of the place he is in. Most do. Some don't. Those that don't are soon found out, I think. And I think it takes a very special kind of person to do that work in those kind of places. 

No shit?
(08-04-2015, 05:46 PM)Hugo Wrote:
(08-04-2015, 04:24 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:

Who the hell wouldn't?

No shit?

Yeah, no shit, you negative and ignorant piece of country redneck. Open another bag of fried pork rinds, scratch you butt again, open a can of cheap beer and turn of Fox. 
We are all just participants in Wonky's freshman creative writing class at the free college.
(08-05-2015, 10:41 AM)bbqboy Wrote: We are all just participants in Wonky's freshman creative writing class at the free college.

Take your meds a shut the hell up.