It's time to go with LED lighting
http://ledshoppe.com/index.php?route=pro...path=60_75

ONE OF MY FAVORITES
Man 100's and 100's of incandescent light bulbs in the closet 'cause the conservatives told me Obama was gonna take 'em away. The store are full of 'em cheaper than ever.
How did that happen?
(09-30-2015, 02:55 PM)Willie Krash Wrote: Man 100's and 100's of incandescent light bulbs in the closet 'cause the conservatives told me Obama was gonna take 'em away. The store are full of 'em cheaper than ever.
How did that happen?

Laughing  and guns and bullets
(09-30-2015, 02:55 PM)Willie Krash Wrote: Man 100's and 100's of incandescent light bulbs in the closet 'cause the conservatives told me Obama was gonna take 'em away. The store are full of 'em cheaper than ever. How did that happen?

Geez, one sentence and all of which is completely false, so to set the record straight, it was dumb shit W who signed away cheap incandescent bulbs. Pre-ban they were easy to come by for $1.50 for a pack of 4, now the 4 pack "energy efficient" version of the incandescent bulbs are $5 and up. 

cheaper than ever....wtf'ever
(09-30-2015, 07:55 PM)GPnative Wrote:
(09-30-2015, 02:55 PM)Willie Krash Wrote: Man 100's and 100's of incandescent light bulbs in the closet 'cause the conservatives told me Obama was gonna take 'em away. The store are full of 'em cheaper than ever. How did that happen?

Geez, one sentence and all of which is completely false, so to set the record straight, it was dumb shit W who signed away cheap incandescent bulbs. Pre-ban they were easy to come by for $1.50 for a pack of 4, now the 4 pack "energy efficient" version of the incandescent bulbs are $5 and up. 

The new incandescent bulbs are cheaper in the long run because they use less electricity and give you the same amount of light.
Why would you want the old cheap ass energy sucking bulbs? Actually I don't know why anyone wants the new incandescent bulbs.

(10-01-2015, 11:52 AM)tvguy Wrote:

The new incandescent bulbs are cheaper in the long run because they use less electricity and give you the same amount of light.
Why would you want the old cheap ass energy sucking bulbs? Actually I don't know why anyone wants the new incandescent bulbs.

Yes, but that's not what was implied by the original post. "the stores are full of them cheaper than ever" clearly is not taking into account savings over the life of the bulb.  At retail point of purchase, the cost of incandescent is higher than ever before.

I used to use one in the cabin of a boat to prevent freezing and hold down the humidity.  Razz
(10-01-2015, 12:02 PM)GPnative Wrote:

Yes, but that's not what was implied by the original post. "the stores are full of them cheaper than ever" clearly is not taking into account savings over the life of the bulb.  At retail point of purchase, the cost of incandescent is higher than ever before.

OH yeah, I agree, the comment that the stores are full of the cheap bulbs doesn't seem possible to me
(10-01-2015, 12:18 PM)Cuzz Wrote: I used to use one in the cabin of a boat to prevent freezing and hold down the humidity.  Razz

Or the well pump house. Or Tornado that heats his house with them.  Laughing
First sarcasm from me, you may not be- aware of this but it is blame Obama for everything, including the lawyer he shot in the face while quail hunting. Big Grin
Thanks for the lesson but it was a W thing (yes) and you could hardly convince a winger on this. Hell they are denial about the EPA & ESA, Nixon.

Re bulbs Grover, Home Depot and a quaint little store call Bi-Mart have cheap bulbs . Thirty years ago a four pack of GE bulbs cost dough.
BTW I use them for antiques, they are little heaters and of course consume more energy.
I must not post enough.
I just ordered these because I couldn't find anything comparable cost wise in my local stores. I needed some new cargo shorts and the stores are out of stock so free shipping quota is met. The lowest prices, shipped to my doorstep. This is why Amazon has become the mega company that it has and at some point I'm going to stop bothering to look in my local stores first. 
(10-01-2015, 10:38 PM)Valuesize Wrote: I just ordered these because I couldn't find anything comparable cost wise in my local stores. I needed some new cargo shorts and the stores are out of stock so free shipping quota is met. The lowest prices, shipped to my doorstep. This is why Amazon has become the mega company that it has and at some point I'm going to stop bothering to look in my local stores first. 

Congratulations.I calculate that the energy you save will reduce your electric bill at a rate so that in 26 years you will recoup the money you spent on those bulbs.
And after that you'll save a ton of money Big Grin Razz
(10-01-2015, 10:46 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(10-01-2015, 10:38 PM)Valuesize Wrote: I just ordered these because I couldn't find anything comparable cost wise in my local stores. I needed some new cargo shorts and the stores are out of stock so free shipping quota is met. The lowest prices, shipped to my doorstep. This is why Amazon has become the mega company that it has and at some point I'm going to stop bothering to look in my local stores first. 

Congratulations.I calculate that the energy you save will reduce your electric bill at a rate so that in 26 years you will recoup the money you spent on those bulbs.

I calculate it this way. 3 - 60W bulbs left on most of the time with me saying 1,000 times to turn them off vs 3 - 6W bulbs left on most of the time and care free. 

You must have worked this out. Will it really take that long with 180W vs 18W? What is the math here? 
(10-01-2015, 11:02 PM)Valuesize Wrote:

I calculate it this way. 3 - 60W bulbs left on most of the time with me saying 1,000 times to turn them off vs 3 - 6W bulbs left on most of the time and care free. 

You must have worked this out. Will it really take that long with 180W vs 18W? What is the math here? 

I didn't really work it out , I was just kiddingRazz  If you wanted to you could just figure you probably have the light on at the most 8 hours a day 8X180watt= 1440 watts hours.. that's about 1 1/2 watt hours so at 10 cents a watt hour that's about 15 cents a day you spend with the old lights.

So in about 160 days you save the 24 bucks. But I doubt you have those lights on 8 hours a day. But still my guess is in about a year you will have recouped the cost of the LED's

you save 18 cents a day. So in 133 days you will have saved the 24 bucks you spent.
(10-02-2015, 10:03 AM)tvguy Wrote:
(10-01-2015, 11:02 PM)Valuesize Wrote:

I didn't really work it out , I was just kiddingRazz  If you wanted to you could just figure you probably have the light on at the most 8 hours a day 8X180watt= 1440 watts hours.. that's about 1 1/2 watt hours so at 10 cents a watt hour that's about 15 cents a day you spend with the old lights.

So in about 160 days you save the 24 bucks. But I doubt you have those lights on 8 hours a day. But still my guess is in about a year you will have recouped the cost of the LED's

you save 18 cents a day. So in 133 days you will have saved the 24 bucks you spent.

That works for me. Now let's talk about the reduced stress. Priceless.  Big Grin
I haven't read this thread.  But why is it when I look at LED lighting it nearly always comes in 40 "watt"?  I mean incandescent 40 watt would barely be a nightlight.  Are they the same in light emittance?  Cause there's nothing I would put a 40 watt bulb into, except maybe the fridge.
(10-02-2015, 03:49 PM)Tiamat Wrote: I haven't read this thread.  But why is it when I look at LED lighting it nearly always comes in 40 "watt"?  I mean incandescent 40 watt would barely be a nightlight.  Are they the same in light emittance?  Cause there's nothing I would put a 40 watt bulb into, except maybe the fridge.

But why is it when I look at LED lighting it nearly always comes in 40 "watt"?

Beats me I guess it's because of where YOU are looking. I started this thread because 60 watt LED's are cheap now. $2.50 each

And the bulbs you can get FREE from Oregon energy trust are also 60 watt.

Cause there's nothing I would put a 40 watt bulb into, except maybe the fridge.

Some people like Value size have chandeliers that have at least three bulbs, usually more. Plus some bathroom fixtures have several bulbs. This is where a 40 watt bulb comes in.
(10-02-2015, 04:17 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(10-02-2015, 03:49 PM)Tiamat Wrote: I haven't read this thread.  But why is it when I look at LED lighting it nearly always comes in 40 "watt"?  I mean incandescent 40 watt would barely be a nightlight.  Are they the same in light emittance?  Cause there's nothing I would put a 40 watt bulb into, except maybe the fridge.

Beats me I guess it's because of where YOU are looking. I started this thread because 60 watt LED's are cheap now. $2.50 each

Some people like Value size have chandeliers that have at least three bulbs, usually more. Plus some bathroom fixtures have several bulbs. This is where a 40 watt bulb comes in.

Well, Oregon Energy Trust wouldn't give me another round after the one I had 4  years ago.  But, in general, when you say WHERE you are looking....my answer is....a store.  Wherever I'm shopping.  Anything bigger than 40 always seems to be some big ass thing that won't fit in a lamp.
(10-03-2015, 12:01 AM)Tiamat Wrote: Well, Oregon Energy Trust wouldn't give me another round after the one I had 4  years ago.  But, in general, when you say WHERE you are looking....my answer is....a store.  Wherever I'm shopping.  Anything bigger than 40 always seems to be some big ass thing that won't fit in a lamp.

Very true, but 60's are beginning to show up in more stores. I don't think they have been able to get more than a 60W equivalent light unless it's in a flood light style bulb though.
(10-03-2015, 12:01 AM)Tiamat Wrote:
(10-02-2015, 04:17 PM)tvguy Wrote:

Well, Oregon Energy Trust wouldn't give me another round after the one I had 4  years ago.  But, in general, when you say WHERE you are looking....my answer is....a store.  Wherever I'm shopping.  Anything bigger than 40 always seems to be some big ass thing that won't fit in a lamp.

I think that until lately it was hard for manufactures to build an LED bulb the same size and shapes as a standard 60 watt bulb. They still can't for anything over 60 watts.

Anyway your answer "Wherever I'm shopping" you can't find anything bigger than 40 watt just means you aren't shopping at Home depot or Lowes, both places have two packs of 60 watt LED's for 5 bucks... where are you looking? 7-11 or Minute market? Razz