It's time to go with LED lighting
LED deal alert: 3 pack of 40 watt equivalent bulbs at Costco $2.97/pk! These are the good ones to, dimmable and can be used in totally enclosed fixtures. I bought 2 packs, for that price how could I not?
(10-03-2015, 10:20 AM)tvguy Wrote:
(10-03-2015, 12:01 AM)Tiamat Wrote:
(10-02-2015, 04:17 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(10-02-2015, 03:49 PM)Tiamat Wrote: I haven't read this thread.  But why is it when I look at LED lighting it nearly always comes in 40 "watt"?  I mean incandescent 40 watt would barely be a nightlight.  Are they the same in light emittance?  Cause there's nothing I would put a 40 watt bulb into, except maybe the fridge.

But why is it when I look at LED lighting it nearly always comes in 40 "watt"?

Beats me I guess it's because of where YOU are looking. I started this thread because 60 watt LED's are cheap now. $2.50 each

And the bulbs you can get FREE from Oregon energy trust are also 60 watt.

Cause there's nothing I would put a 40 watt bulb into, except maybe the fridge.

Some people like Value size have chandeliers that have at least three bulbs, usually more. Plus some bathroom fixtures have several bulbs. This is where a 40 watt bulb comes in.

Well, Oregon Energy Trust wouldn't give me another round after the one I had 4  years ago.  But, in general, when you say WHERE you are looking....my answer is....a store.  Wherever I'm shopping.  Anything bigger than 40 always seems to be some big ass thing that won't fit in a lamp.

I think that until lately it was hard for manufactures to build an LED bulb the same size and shapes as a standard 60 watt bulb. They still can't for anything over 60 watts.

Anyway your answer "Wherever I'm shopping" you can't find anything bigger than 40 watt just means you aren't shopping at Home depot or Lowes, both places have two packs of 60 watt LED's for 5 bucks... where are you looking? 7-11 or Minute market? Razz
You know I was at the grocery store the other day and thought I should pick up an extra bulb....you know...got to keep a stock.  For some reason I can't find my stash of bulbs. I must have moved them. And guess what...almost all the selection was 40 watt. What am I going to light with 40 watt?  Is it brighter than incandescent 40 watt?  I found ONE 75 watt bulb. And they are so big, how do they fit in lamp fixtures that have a little framey thing that goes around them?  I don't mind if someone explains this to me like I'm 5 years old. I prefer it. As long as you're friendly about it.
(11-07-2015, 09:17 PM)Tiamat Wrote:
(10-02-2015, 03:49 PM)Tiamat Wrote: I haven't read this thread.  But why is it when I look at LED lighting it nearly always comes in 40 "watt"?  I mean incandescent 40 watt would barely be a nightlight.  Are they the same in light emittance?  Cause there's nothing I would put a 40 watt bulb into, except maybe the fridge.

Beats me I guess it's because of where YOU are looking. I started this thread because 60 watt LED's are cheap now. $2.50 each

Some people like Value size have chandeliers that have at least three bulbs, usually more. Plus some bathroom fixtures have several bulbs. This is where a 40 watt bulb comes in.

Well, Oregon Energy Trust wouldn't give me another round after the one I had 4  years ago.  But, in general, when you say WHERE you are looking....my answer is....a store.  Wherever I'm shopping.  Anything bigger than 40 always seems to be some big ass thing that won't fit in a lamp.

I think that until lately it was hard for manufactures to build an LED bulb the same size and shapes as a standard 60 watt bulb. They still can't for anything over 60 watts.

Anyway your answer "Wherever I'm shopping" you can't find anything bigger than 40 watt just means you aren't shopping at Home depot or Lowes, both places have two packs of 60 watt LED's for 5 bucks... where are you looking? 7-11 or Minute market? Razz
You know I was at the grocery store the other day and thought I should pick up an extra bulb....you know...got to keep a stock.  For some reason I can't find my stash of bulbs. I must have moved them. And guess what...almost all the selection was 40 watt. What am I going to light with 40 watt?  Is it brighter than incandescent 40 watt?  I found ONE 75 watt bulb. And they are so big, how do they fit in lamp fixtures that have a little framey thing that goes around them?  I don't mind if someone explains this to me like I'm 5 years old. I prefer it. As long as you're friendly about it.

Not sure what kind of 75 watt bulb you must of bought, all standard bulbs are still all the same size, and most LED bulbs are the same size as standard. I have just about every combo of bulb you can imagine in my stash, even the dreaded and feared 100 watt bulb Wink and they all fit standard fixtures. As far as what to light with a 40watt, the LED ones are definitely comparable to a standard incandescent bulb. As a stand alone bulb I think the 40 watt works fine in oven hoods, or hallway lights, entry way lights and multi fixture bathroom lights, for example our bathroom has a 4 bulb fixture, running four 40 watt bulbs in that fixture is more than adequate. I also do a combo in the kids room 2 bulb fixtures, combining a 60 watt LED and a 40 watt LED and it's plenty bright enough.
(11-08-2015, 10:01 AM)GPnative Wrote:

Not sure what kind of 75 watt bulb you must of bought, all standard bulbs are still all the same size, and most LED bulbs are the same size as standard. I have just about every combo of bulb you can imagine in my stash, even the dreaded and feared 100 watt bulb Wink and they all fit standard fixtures. As far as what to light with a 40watt, the LED ones are definitely comparable to a standard incandescent bulb. As a stand alone bulb I think the 40 watt works fine in oven hoods, or hallway lights, entry way lights and multi fixture bathroom lights, for example our bathroom has a 4 bulb fixture, running four 40 watt bulbs in that fixture is more than adequate. I also do a combo in the kids room 2 bulb fixtures, combining a 60 watt LED and a 40 watt LED and it's plenty bright enough.

Well, thank you. I guess I just don't understand why the 40 watts are the majority of what I find.  I don't do tons of shopping. I go to Costco from time to time, but mostly, my shopping consists of going to the grocery store when I need something.  So what's at the grocery store is what I'll buy. But even at Costco I see mostly 40 watt bulbs.  I just don't need that wattage and combining seems needless complicated. Why can't I just find standard 75 watt bulbs on an ordinary shopping trip?  It's like they are gold or something.
(11-08-2015, 10:13 AM)Tiamat Wrote:
(10-03-2015, 12:01 AM)Tiamat Wrote: Well, Oregon Energy Trust wouldn't give me another round after the one I had 4  years ago.  But, in general, when you say WHERE you are looking....my answer is....a store.  Wherever I'm shopping.  Anything bigger than 40 always seems to be some big ass thing that won't fit in a lamp.

Well, thank you. I guess I just don't understand why the 40 watts are the majority of what I find.  I don't do tons of shopping. I go to Costco from time to time, but mostly, my shopping consists of going to the grocery store when I need something.  So what's at the grocery store is what I'll buy. But even at Costco I see mostly 40 watt bulbs.  I just don't need that wattage and combining seems needless complicated. Why can't I just find standard 75 watt bulbs on an ordinary shopping trip?  It's like they are gold or something.

Actual 75 watt bulbs are no more....not being made for the sake of energy efficiency. I am not sure what it's new direct incandescent counter part is, it would be something like 72 watt. Grocery stores are not going to have the selection of larger big box stores and/or they are selling through old stock.  I guess I can understand why some people would think combining is complicated, but for me I enjoy the idea of saving on my energy bill, so I like to use the best combos to maximize light output in the most economical way. And yes, my wife thinks I am a light bulb nut Wink
(11-08-2015, 10:29 AM)GPnative Wrote:
(11-08-2015, 10:13 AM)Tiamat Wrote:
(10-03-2015, 10:20 AM)tvguy Wrote: I think that until lately it was hard for manufactures to build an LED bulb the same size and shapes as a standard 60 watt bulb. They still can't for anything over 60 watts.

Actual 75 watt bulbs are no more....not being made for the sake of energy efficiency. I am not sure what it's new direct incandescent counter part is, it would be something like 72 watt. Grocery stores are not going to have the selection of larger big box stores and/or they are selling through old stock.  I guess I can understand why some people would think combining is complicated, but for me I enjoy the idea of saving on my energy bill, so I like to use the best combos to maximize light output in the most economical way. And yes, my wife thinks I am a light bulb nut Wink

OK, 72 watt. But last time I actually looked at Costco for bulbs they had a pretty crappy selection too.  I'm hoping the selection and availability picks up.
One reason why I don't like 40 watt lights is that I really despise overhead light. I hate it. I like lamp light.  A 40 watt bulb does nothing for me in a lamp. It mocks me.
(11-08-2015, 10:49 AM)Tiamat Wrote: One reason why I don't like 40 watt lights is that I really despise overhead light. I hate it. I like lamp light.  A 40 watt bulb does nothing for me in a lamp. It mocks me.

I'm curious if you're talking about 40 watt light bulbs or a light bulb that is equivalent to a 40 watt incandescent light bulb? Like the compact fluorescent bulbs were marked as 7 watts, equivalent to 40 watt incandescent. Or something like that.

I agree with you 40 watts isn't enough to read by. It makes my eyes tired.
(11-08-2015, 11:12 AM)Cuzz Wrote:
(11-08-2015, 10:49 AM)Tiamat Wrote: One reason why I don't like 40 watt lights is that I really despise overhead light. I hate it. I like lamp light.  A 40 watt bulb does nothing for me in a lamp. It mocks me.

I'm curious if you're talking about 40 watt light bulbs or a light bulb that is equivalent to a 40 watt incandescent light bulb? Like the compact fluorescent bulbs were marked as 7 watts, equivalent to 40 watt incandescent. Or something like that.

I agree with you 40 watts isn't enough to read by. It makes my eyes tired.

Yeah, that's what I'm asking.  Is it a different measurement than incandescent? It says 40 WATT.  That's what I see.  I found trying to make the conversion to lumens or whatever to be confusing, but perhaps others did too, as I  see watts being used much more consistently now. What the hell am I going to do with a 40 watt bulb?  I can't put two in a lamp and quite frankly, in the kitchen, the brighter the better.
I shouldn't be all that complicated. Most of the new LED bulbs are advertised stating the watts that they actually use compared to the wattage of an incandescent bulb that puts out the same amount of light.

To get the same light as a old 40 watt bulb you buy a seven watt LED.

If you want the same light an old 75 watt bulb emits then you buy a 13.5 watt LED.

The problem Tia has is that the 40 watt equivalent LEDs simply aren't bright enough for most applications. And if you want a 75 watt equivalent LED you have to pay out the ass.
I guess it has something to do with manufacturing an average physical sized 75 LED watt bulb that emits the same amount of light as an incandescent.

This is my answer to the problem.....[Image: 54068_72d3a7e619fe5974b28bfa05345d0f8766...1429822655]
(11-08-2015, 03:05 PM)tvguy Wrote: I shouldn't be all that complicated. Most of the new LED bulbs are advertised stating the watts that they actually use compared to the wattage of an incandescent bulb that puts out the same amount of light.

If you want the same light an old 75 watt bulb emits then you buy a 13.5 watt LED.

The problem Tia has is that the 40 watt equivalent LEDs simply aren't bright enough for most applications. And if you want a 75 watt equivalent LED you have to pay out the ass.
I guess it has something to do with manufacturing an average physical sized 75 LED watt bulb that emits the same amount of light as an incandescent.

This is my answer to the problem.....[Image: 54068_72d3a7e619fe5974b28bfa05345d0f8766...1429822655]

The lamp frame cage won't fit over that with two bulbs in it. The 70-whatever watt one I bought is noticeably bigger. So, since I use lamps more than overhead, this is an issue.
(11-08-2015, 05:41 PM)Tiamat Wrote:
(11-08-2015, 03:05 PM)tvguy Wrote: I shouldn't be all that complicated. Most of the new LED bulbs are advertised stating the watts that they actually use compared to the wattage of an incandescent bulb that puts out the same amount of light.

The lamp frame cage won't fit over that with two bulbs in it. The 70-whatever watt one I bought is noticeably bigger. So, since I use lamps more than overhead, this is an issue.

I have a lamp over my desk at my computer. I can't tell  but I'm pretty sure if I get one of those adapters I can put two 40 watt LEDs in there because the adapter angles each lamp . I know my other lamp will work with the two bulbs. It just depends on the lamp.
(11-08-2015, 06:07 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(11-08-2015, 05:41 PM)Tiamat Wrote:

I have a lamp over my desk at my computer. I can't tell  but I'm pretty sure if I get one of those adapters I can put two 40 watt LEDs in there because the adapter angles each lamp . I know my other lamp will work with the two bulbs. It just depends on the lamp.

Good tip.