Is Grants Pass Looking Backward?
[b]Growth and sale of pot banned in Grants Pass[/b] 

Ban will now go to citywide vote

By Jules Rogers

Grants Pass Daily Courier

The Grants Pass City Council Wednesday night reaffirmed the city's ban on all things marijuana — except for possession.

(I give up on attempting to link the URL from the MT.... Embarrassed)

More online. 
You are way too smart to be having this trouble. Maybe you're  overthinking it?

http://www.mailtribune.com/article/20150.../150919612
(09-19-2015, 09:37 AM)Wonky3 Wrote: [b]Growth and sale of pot banned in Grants Pass[/b] 

By Jules Rogers

The Grants Pass City Council Wednesday night reaffirmed the city's ban on all things marijuana — except for possession.

More online. 

There are still far more non-marijuana supporters in city of GP than there are supporters. Puts the council in tough spot, either way they end up with an upset contingent of people, however you end up with fewer upset folks by passing the ban. Plus, the "non" supporter group is a vast group of church folks, lots of Mega church groups (there is a church on every corner in JoCo) and lots of business folks w/ money and influence that are not fans of a marijuana business opening shop next door.

Don't be confused, I am not saying I support the decision, I am just saying my opinion for why. The tide is changing towards marijuana, but it does not mean it is going to change fast in certain cities, folks should just be patient and let the tide change. That, or speed it up and get some "pro" supporters to run for city council.
(09-19-2015, 10:11 AM)GPnative Wrote:
(09-19-2015, 09:37 AM)Wonky3 Wrote: [b]Growth and sale of pot banned in Grants Pass[/b] 

By Jules Rogers

More online. 

There are still far more non-marijuana supporters in city of GP than there are supporters. Puts the council in tough spot, either way they end up with an upset contingent of people, however you end up with fewer upset folks by passing the ban. Plus, the "non" supporter group is a vast group of church folks, lots of Mega church groups (there is a church on every corner in JoCo) and lots of business folks w/ money and influence that are not fans of a marijuana business opening shop next door.

Don't be confused, I am not saying I support the decision, I am just saying my opinion for why. The tide is changing towards marijuana, but it does not mean it is going to change fast in certain cities, folks should just be patient and let the tide change. That, or speed it up and get some "pro" supporters to run for city council.

You are right of course. Church folks vote and there are lots of them. I doubt the supporters of marijuana businesses vote in large enough numbers to get city officials to care. 

However, the ban does nothing to limit access to marijuana. You can buy pot on Rogue River Avenue a short distance from the R House restaurant. 
That should help lower rents

By Jules Rogers

More online. 

I have to ask what does a state law mean when the legislature say that counites that opted ot on 91 can choose to opt of state law.
So two things, GP doesnt need a vote, the citizens of this state put an intiative on the ballot and the citizen by majority voted for it.
How does a majority voter in a minority county afford himself the protection of state law?  This is contempt for democracy.
Perhaps iindivisualized democracy. If I vote against a tax can I opt out? Say those in my city vote against a county tax, can that city opt out. In our represenitive democracy could Mississippi opt out of the civil rights law?

So no, not everyone gets to sit at the lunch counter and it doesn't appear to be legal but in certain parts of Oregon.

Btw, I've been waiting 50 years, any longer I'll be dead. The people have spoken. If a jurisdiction doesn't like it they can convince folks to put it on the state ballot and do it the like everybody else has too. The attitude has changed, it isn't changing; as in slowly. 91 passed, the change has happened.
The dispensary was packed. Good stuff and cheap.
Home rule needs to go...
(10-01-2015, 06:32 PM)Willie Krash Wrote:

By Jules Rogers

More online. 

I have to ask what does a state law mean when the legislature say that counites that opted ot on 91 can choose to opt of state law.
So two things, GP doesnt need a vote, the citizens of this state put an intiative on the ballot and the citizen by majority voted for it.
How does a majority voter in a minority county afford himself the protection of state law?  This is contempt for democracy.
Perhaps iindivisualized democracy. If I vote against a tax can I opt out? Say those in my city vote against a county tax, can that city opt out. In our represenitive democracy could Mississippi opt out of the civil rights law?

So no, not everyone gets to sit at the lunch counter and it doesn't appear to be legal but in certain parts of Oregon.

Btw, I've been waiting 50 years, any longer I'll be dead. The people have spoken. If a jurisdiction doesn't like it they can convince folks to  put it on the state ballot and do it the like everybody else has too. The attitude has changed, it isn't changing; as in slowly.  91 passed, the change has happened.
Home rule needs to go...

I suppose I have to agree with you.  If they can opt out, then all of the Oregon laws that only passed because of the Portland/Salem Tri-County population can be ignored by the rest of the counties.  Hunting bear and cougar is only illegal in those northern counties. 

Can we take it one step further?  On the county wide presidential elections, Oregon is a Red State.....and we should overturn those electorate votes!

By Jules Rogers

More online. 

Btw, I've been waiting 50 years, any longer I'll be dead. The people have spoken. If a jurisdiction doesn't like it they can convince folks to  put it on the state ballot and do it the like everybody else has too. The attitude has changed, it isn't changing; as in slowly.  91 passed, the change has happened.
Home rule needs to go...

I suppose I have to agree with you.  If they can opt out, then all of the Oregon laws that only passed because of the Portland/Salem Tri-County population can be ignored by the rest of the counties.  Hunting bear and cougar with hounds is only illegal in those northern counties. 

Can we take it one step further?  On the county wide presidential elections, Oregon is a Red State.....and we should overturn those electorate votes!
take it even further. you can be president of butte falls.
(10-01-2015, 06:49 PM)Hugo Wrote: M

By Jules Rogers

More online. 

Home rule needs to go...

I suppose I have to agree with you.  If they can opt out, then all of the Oregon laws that only passed because of the Portland/Salem Tri-County population can be ignored by the rest of the counties.  Hunting bear and cougar with hounds is only illegal in those northern counties. 

Oregon is not a red state, it is solidly blue, and most of the people in this state are happy that you redneck hillbillies can't hunt bear or cougars with dogs anywhere you please. 

Wouldn't you be happier in Texas or Georgia.
(10-01-2015, 09:31 PM)cletus1 Wrote:
(10-01-2015, 06:49 PM)Hugo Wrote: M

By Jules Rogers

More online. 

Home rule needs to go...

Oregon is not a red state, it is solidly blue, and most of the ignorant so called animal lovers people in this state are happy that you redneck hillbillies can't hunt bear or cougars with dogs anywhere you please. 

Wouldn't you be happier in Texas or Georgia.

By Jules Rogers

More online. 

Home rule needs to go...

Yes, but right or wrong it's what happened. So you can either arm chair quarter back the decision of GP, or run for council and try and make a difference.
Does this mean that if your caught growing in the city, you,ll have to go to a city jail

By Jules Rogers

More online. 

Home rule needs to go...

What's "cheap" mean? From what I've seen I could buy from friends for less than what the dispensaries are charging. I could if it wasn't always given to me.