Cars, Guns, Fire and Floods.
Something is gonna get us. 
It's been argued here that "all things considered" guns are not really a problem we need to fear.
Fire and floods have been with us since man climbed out of the trees. 
But automobiles? That's a whole different story. Recently we (I) have seen a too many news stories of folks (mostly older, or drunk) drivers crashing into crowds, buildings, or other objects easily avoided. 

The following news story illustrates the point. I'm nearing 80 years of age. I hope the State sometime soon makes in mandatory for those of us "of a certain age" to come in to a DMV office and be tested. My family and friends might tell me I have a problem but they have no authority and I might ignore them until then hide my keys, lock me in the house, or break both of my legs. (Yeah.... I DO have family that would do that.  Wink

Age is not the ONLY factor here, but there is enough evidence (I suspect) that it's often a factor. I would not have a problem with demonstrating my ability to keep my driving privileges (after all, it's not a RIGHT) and I'd surrender my licence and stop driving if required. 

Some here feel "The State" has too much power. I think this is another example of how good government could  provide protection and serve the people. 

The story from the MT: 

[b]Car crashes into Talent post office[/b] 

By Nick Morgan

Mail Tribune

Talent post-office box holders should expect delays after an elderly man mistook his accelerator for the brake in the parking lot.

At 2:16 p.m. Wednesday, Kenneth Perry Condit, 80, of the 4600 block of South Pacific Highway, Phoenix, drove his late-model Toyota Camry sedan through multiple walls at the Talent post office before stopping in a back room used by postal employees. Condit’s wife was in the vehicle with him during the crash.

Talent police Chief Mike Moran said that when he arrived on the scene, he thought the car had been moved.

“It turns out it was inside,” Moran said.

Condit’s car traveled over a parking barrier near the east side of the post office building. From there the car jumped over a sidewalk, then through an exterior wall.

“He then took out an entire
 wall of post-office boxes,” Moran said until stopping “several feet” inside the back room.

“It went almost all the way through the building,” said Jackson County Fire District 5 Chief Darin Welburn.

At least two employees were working in the building at the time, according to Welburn.

“The car was approximately 20 feet into the building,” Welburn said. “Luckily there was no one in the area at the time or we could’ve had critical injuries.”

According to Moran, Condit showed no signs of intoxication or medical emergency.

“He apparently mistook his gas pedal for the brake,” Moran said.

No citations were issued in the incident.

“We felt that a citation was not appropriate, but we will submit that the driver be retested by the Department of Motor Vehicles,” Moran said.
 —Reach reporter Nick Morgan at 541-776-4471 or nmorgan@mailtribune.com.

Probably a pot smoker. Can't trust em. They get so violent. I just wish larry had been there to shoot him.
Gotta defend the Post Office, because Constitution.
I support the DMV testing older drivers more often, deaf and blind people too. Seriously though, I have seen some scary driving by older drivers. Their freedom and independence doesn't trump other people's safety. 
(10-29-2015, 09:13 AM)Wonky3 Wrote: Something is gonna get us. 
It's been argued here that "all things considered" guns are not really a problem we need to fear.
Fire and floods have been with us since man climbed out of the trees. 
But automobiles? That's a whole different story. Recently we (I) have seen a too many news stories of folks (mostly older, or drunk) drivers crashing into crowds, buildings, or other objects easily avoided. 

The following news story illustrates the point. I'm nearing 80 years of age. I hope the State sometime soon makes in mandatory for those of us "of a certain age" to come in to a DMV office and be tested. My family and friends might tell me I have a problem but they have no authority and I might ignore them until then hide my keys, lock me in the house, or break both of my legs. (Yeah.... I DO have family that would do that.  Wink

Age is not the ONLY factor here, but there is enough evidence (I suspect) that it's often a factor. I would not have a problem with demonstrating my ability to keep my driving privileges (after all, it's not a RIGHT) and I'd surrender my licence and stop driving if required. 

Some here feel "The State" has too much power. I think this is another example of how good government could  provide protection and serve the people. 

The story from the MT: 

[b]Car crashes into Talent post office[/b] 

By Nick Morgan

Mail Tribune

Talent post-office box holders should expect delays after an elderly man mistook his accelerator for the brake in the parking lot.

At 2:16 p.m. Wednesday, Kenneth Perry Condit, 80, of the 4600 block of South Pacific Highway, Phoenix, drove his late-model Toyota Camry sedan through multiple walls at the Talent post office before stopping in a back room used by postal employees. Condit’s wife was in the vehicle with him during the crash.

Talent police Chief Mike Moran said that when he arrived on the scene, he thought the car had been moved.

“It turns out it was inside,” Moran said.

Condit’s car traveled over a parking barrier near the east side of the post office building. From there the car jumped over a sidewalk, then through an exterior wall.

“He then took out an entire
 wall of post-office boxes,” Moran said until stopping “several feet” inside the back room.

“It went almost all the way through the building,” said Jackson County Fire District 5 Chief Darin Welburn.

At least two employees were working in the building at the time, according to Welburn.

“The car was approximately 20 feet into the building,” Welburn said. “Luckily there was no one in the area at the time or we could’ve had critical injuries.”

According to Moran, Condit showed no signs of intoxication or medical emergency.

“He apparently mistook his gas pedal for the brake,” Moran said.

No citations were issued in the incident.

“We felt that a citation was not appropriate, but we will submit that the driver be retested by the Department of Motor Vehicles,” Moran said.
 —Reach reporter Nick Morgan at 541-776-4471 or nmorgan@mailtribune.com.

My wife and I both heard the story on the news and both of us knew before they told the guys age that it was going to be someone very old.

Testing should be mandatory at some specific age. My elderly aunt put her car in to gear while holding the gas pedal to the floor. She didn't hear the engine revving. So the first gear she hit was reverse, she shot across Van Wey's parking lot in Jville like Shirley Muldowney. Good thing the Dugger's weren't walking across the lot.
Totaled the car, a 1970 Nova. It looked like it was put in to a giant vice and squished from end to end.

I ended up with the car. Put it between two big trees and stretched it back out with chain blocks. I called it a custom car and drove if for a while Razz
(10-29-2015, 12:03 PM)cletus1 Wrote: I support the DMV testing older drivers more often, deaf and blind people too. Seriously though, I have seen some scary driving by older drivers. Their freedom and independence doesn't trump other people's safety. 

At a certain age it doesn't matter if you can see over the horn button or not.
(10-29-2015, 12:03 PM)cletus1 Wrote: I support the DMV testing older drivers more often, deaf and blind people too. Seriously though, I have seen some scary driving by older drivers. Their freedom and independence doesn't trump other people's safety. 

Exactly! I'm not gonna like it if I live long enough to have to give up driving, but I hope I'll have the sense and grace to know it's "for the best". 
I don't want to be Mr. McGoo driving around town! (OMG, am I dating myself!) 
(10-29-2015, 01:36 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:

Exactly! I'm not gonna like it if I live long enough to have to give up driving, but I hope I'll have the sense and grace to know it's "for the best". 

I dated myself once. Whatever, no one else would go out with me.
Everytime I read a story of an old person driving in a building it's always a Post Office. Someone needs to remind these folks the mailman comes to their house most everyday and will gladly take your outgoing mail. 
(10-29-2015, 03:22 PM)Valuesize Wrote: Everytime I read a story of an old person driving in a building it's always a Post Office. Someone needs to remind these folks the mailman comes to their house most everyday and will gladly take your outgoing mail. 

Not where I live.WE have all the mailboxes out on the main road. About 1/4 mile from my house was where my mailbox used to be and prime picking for the tweakers. That's why I have a PO box.
(10-29-2015, 03:46 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(10-29-2015, 03:22 PM)Valuesize Wrote: Everytime I read a story of an old person driving in a building it's always a Post Office. Someone needs to remind these folks the mailman comes to their house most everyday and will gladly take your outgoing mail. 

Not where I live.WE have all the mailboxes out on the main road. About 1/4 mile from my house was where my mailbox used to be and prime picking for the tweakers. That's why I have a PO box.

We're in a neighborhood.  We have one huge box with a bunch of smaller locking mailboxes and 2 larger locking boxes for package delivery (they leave the key in your mailbox and once you open the larger box the key just stays in the door for the mail person).  They never come to our house.  Once they had too many packages and instead of just delivering one of them, they stuck the neighbors package in with mine and assumed I would get the package to the right owner.  Luckily, I'm honest!  Any who... no drivers have ran into the box; although we did see a neighborhood kid, texting while riding a skateboard, run into it.  Laughing Laughing Don't worry, he wasn't hurt.  Shocked and embarrassed though!  Laughing Laughing
(10-29-2015, 04:37 PM)Scrapper Wrote:
(10-29-2015, 03:46 PM)tvguy Wrote:

We're in a neighborhood.  We have one huge box with a bunch of smaller locking mailboxes and 2 larger locking boxes for package delivery (they leave the key in your mailbox and once you open the larger box the key just stays in the door for the mail person).  They never come to our house.  Once they had too many packages and instead of just delivering one of them, they stuck the neighbors package in with mine and assumed I would get the package to the right owner.  Luckily, I'm honest!  Any who... no drivers have ran into the box; although we did see a neighborhood kid, texting while riding a skateboard, run into it.  Laughing Laughing Don't worry, he wasn't hurt.  Shocked and embarrassed though!  Laughing Laughing

There are a couple of locations for our mail boxes. Each place has about 10 boxes or so. They are both located at the corner where each road goes back in to this small residential area. I have seen them both slammed and annihilated by cars four times that I know of.
There is a sharp curve out here. 90 degrees. There are big ass yellow warning arrows all over the place. I've seen where cars smashed through them and the fences more times than I can count. LOL
(10-29-2015, 02:45 PM)tvguy Wrote:

(10-29-2015, 02:45 PM)tvguy Wrote:

One thing about dating yourself, you know you'll score. Wink
I'm an older guy and have yet to run into a building or whatever.

It may because I now drive 20 MPH everywhere I go. Suits me. Lots of people honk at me and I don't recognize any of them. Maybe we worked together years ago or something. 
(10-29-2015, 07:57 PM)Wonky3 Wrote: I'm an older guy and have yet to run into a building or whatever.

It may because I now drive 20 MPH everywhere I go. Suits me. Lots of people honk at me and I don't recognize any of them. Maybe we worked together years ago or something. 

My brother is 79 and still drives a commercial truck. It's all about genetics and how well you take care of yourself. My Dad said we come from good stock. I'm thinking with the drinking problem and the meth habit he may only have a few good years left.