Why is Jackson County jail closing 62 jail beds/cells?
I heard on TV news and the Bill Meyer radio show that the sheriff decided the Jackson County jail was going to stop using their basement 62 jail cells/beds.

Yet, there is a new bigger Medford city police station being built. It doesn't make sense to me, especially since there's alot of criminals that keep getting released from jail only to be caught committing another crime, the "frequent fliers"/"catch and release" repeat offenders. Sounds to me like a bigger jail should be built instead of a bigger Medford city police station, and at the very least don't make the county jail even smaller because they don't have enough beds as it is already. What's the point of even having any police if there isn't enough jail beds? So, criminals can commit crimes, and get arrested, but they don't go to jail, they just go home, although they're probably on probation and have to go to a court case. I dunno, I'm sure there's more details to the situation, but just seems odd.  Unsure
I surmise you must be Don from Gold Hill.
Bill Meyers LOL.
(11-07-2015, 03:37 PM)Thinker Wrote: I heard on TV news and the Bill Meyer radio show that the sheriff decided the Jackson County jail was going to stop using their basement 62 jail cells/beds.

Yet, there is a new bigger Medford city police station being built. It doesn't make sense to me, especially since there's alot of criminals that keep getting released from jail only to be caught committing another crime, the "frequent fliers"/"catch and release" repeat offenders. Sounds to me like a bigger jail should be built instead of a bigger Medford city police station, and at the very least don't make the county jail even smaller because they don't have enough beds as it is already. What's the point of even having any police if there isn't enough jail beds? So, criminals can commit crimes, and get arrested, but they don't go to jail, they just go home, although they're probably on probation and have to go to a court case. I dunno, I'm sure there's more details to the situation, but just seems odd.  Unsure

So, all criminals housed in the jail are Medford residents?  Seems the Sheriff made the decision to reduce it. That  probably has nothing do with the police department extension funding. Most people have no clue how funding works. It isn't just a big pot that you can take money from and put into whatever project you please. The CITY of medford is using a 30 year bond that is going to be paid for by a utility fee hike. (probably water. I pay more for water taxes than for the water I use) to fund it's police department.  The Jail is a COUNTY facility.
They're not jailing as many drug offenders, now that we have legal pot.
(11-08-2015, 12:50 PM)chuck white Wrote: They're not jailing as many drug offenders, now that we have legal pot.

That's not why. Not even close. There are a ton of repeat offenders out there and they aren't the ones smoking pot. They are the ones smoking meth. I challenge anyone to show that the legalization of pot has actually reduced the need for beds or even, for that matter the number of arrests.
(11-08-2015, 12:50 PM)chuck white Wrote: They're not jailing as many drug offenders, now that we have legal pot.

They're not holding illegal immigrants for deportation anymore either.
(11-07-2015, 03:37 PM)Thinker Wrote: I heard on TV news and the Bill Meyer radio show that the sheriff decided the Jackson County jail was going to stop using their basement 62 jail cells/beds.

I have no idea what the fact that there is new Medford city police station being built has to do with the fact that the jail isn't big enough.I think they need a new bigger police station as well as a new jail but I don't think you have have one without the other.The Sheriff doesn't have enough trained people to properly handle the extra 62 prisoners in the basement and apparently it's too expensive paying overtime to the overworked qualified people he has.
(11-08-2015, 01:30 PM)orygunluvr Wrote:

Still not the reason.
(11-08-2015, 02:57 PM)Tiamat Wrote:
(11-08-2015, 01:30 PM)orygunluvr Wrote:

Still not the reason.

Huh? Both of those reasons, if true, would explain why we don't need to release prisoners. 
They plan to send them to the FEMA camps in the coming months.
i gree with everyones' comments. IDK the details so I can't question the decision, but I was just curious about it.

BTW, nope I'm not Don from Gold Hill. But I do listen to the Bill Meyers show alot, I download their podcast/mp3.
(11-11-2015, 03:05 AM)Thinker Wrote: i gree with everyones' comments. IDK the details so I can't question the decision, but I was just curious about it.

BTW, nope I'm not Don from Gold Hill. But I do listen to the Bill Meyers show alot, I download their podcast/mp3.

I'm happy that you agree with my comments, nobody else thinks I'm right about the FEMA camps.

<Snip>

Money, honey.