Advice on Preparing Thanksgiving Dinner
(11-25-2015, 09:03 PM)Valuesize Wrote:
(11-25-2015, 07:39 PM)Tiamat Wrote: I can't say I'm a huge fan of pumpkin pie. However make a sweet potato pie. Much yummier. MUCH easier to cook. But don't tell. Wink

And I like apple pie.  Sorry, I do.

But I'm not making pie.  In fact I'm not doing the traditional Thanksgiving spread and it feels great. I haven't even shopped yet!  Hmmmmm...what to make?  I'm guessing I'll go to Winco in the morning. Sorry poor folks who have to work on Thanksgiving!

I've never made a sweet potato pie. Care to share a "much easier to cook" recipe? (Too many to choose from online)

this lady seems to know her sweet potato pie- 
 Whipping up a sweet potato pie for Thanksgiving - + KSHB.com
And from my online friend and fellow bbq'er Cyndi, (she's a college Journalism teacher too),
her casserole-
 Half Fast Cook: Sweet Potato Casserole - Sinfully Rich and Yummy
Sweet Potato Casserole - Sinfully Rich and Yummy

[Image: southern%2Bsweet%2Bpotato%2Bcasserole%2Bsmall.jpg]

Sweet Potato Casserole Could Go on the Dessert Table

One of our favorite holiday dishes is Southern Sweet Potato Casserole. This sinful dish would work just fine on the dessert table, but we eat it as a side. Sweet Potato Bake is delicious with turkey or ham. Not only is the casserole rich and sweet, it adds some color to the dinner table or at a pot lot feast. This is one of my mom’s specialty recipes, and folks are always asking her how to make this dish. 

Southern Sweet Potato Casserole

The Basic Casserole

•    sweet potatoes (3 or 4 medium potatoes – 6 inches long and 2 to 2 inches thick 
•    1/2 stick butter 
•    1/2 cup white sugar 
•    1/4 cup brown sugar (light or dark) 
•    1/4 cup evaporated milk 
•    2 eggs 
•    1 tsp vanilla 
•    1/2 tsp cinnamon 

The Topping

•    1 1/2 cups crushed corn flakes 
•    1/2 cup brown sugar 
•    1/4 cup pecans 

Directions:

Boil sweet potatoes until they are soft when stuck with a fork. Let cool a bit. Peel. The peeling basically falls right off. Mash sweet potatoes until nice and creamy.

Add the casserole ingredients to the mashed sweet potatoes. The order isn’t critical. It does help to let the butter get pretty soft or even to melt the butter. Mix everything in well.

Spray a little Pam or very lightly grease a casserole in the 9 x 9 size range. Pour the sweet potato mixture in and smooth even.

Mix the topping in a small bowl. If you’re in a hurry, you can just put the topping on in the order listed.

Bake casserole for 15 minutes at 450 degrees. This crisps up the topping and has the filling piping hot. 

Tips: 

Sweet Potato Casserole can be put together the night before and then baked right before the meal. Just tuck it in the refrigerator and pull it out the next day. Allow a little more cooking time if the casserole is fully chilled.

This casserole also warms up well in the microwave. You probably won’t have leftovers, but if you do, you’ll enjoy the sweet potatoes re-heated too. 

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone. 
(11-26-2015, 09:57 AM)cletus1 Wrote: Happy Thanksgiving Everyone. 

And to you. I spent a year in a far off place with a strange sounding name where we didn't have hot running water. I'll forever be thankful for a hot water by simply turning on a handle. 

And many, many, other things. How clever of us here at the RVF to have chosen to be born in the good 'ol USofA rather than a country in Western Africa. We are blessed! 
Regarding the sweet potato pie...

I have a hard time putting that much sugar in anything I cook, how much less sugar do you think I could use and have it still on the sweet side? I'd be tempted not to add any and just rely on the potato.
(11-26-2015, 11:08 AM)Valuesize Wrote: Regarding the sweet potato pie...

I have a hard time putting that much sugar in anything I cook, how much less sugar do you think I could use and have it still on the sweet side? I'd be tempted not to add any and just rely on the potato.

It would be the nuts I would have trouble adding.
[Image: giphy.gif]
(11-26-2015, 11:08 AM)Valuesize Wrote: Regarding the sweet potato pie...

Not much....no more than a 1/3 of a cup of dark brown sugar I'd think. It could get really sweet fast.
(11-26-2015, 08:26 AM)bbqboy Wrote:
(11-25-2015, 07:39 PM)Tiamat Wrote: I can't say I'm a huge fan of pumpkin pie. However make a sweet potato pie. Much yummier. MUCH easier to cook. But don't tell. Wink

But I'm not making pie.  In fact I'm not doing the traditional Thanksgiving spread and it feels great. I haven't even shopped yet!  Hmmmmm...what to make?  I'm guessing I'll go to Winco in the morning. Sorry poor folks who have to work on Thanksgiving!

I've never made a sweet potato pie. Care to share a "much easier to cook" recipe? (Too many to choose from online)

And from my online friend and fellow bbq'er Cyndi, (she's a college Journalism teacher too),
her casserole-

One of our favorite holiday dishes is Southern Sweet Potato Casserole. This sinful dish would work just fine on the dessert table, but we eat it as a side. Sweet Potato Bake is delicious with turkey or ham. Not only is the casserole rich and sweet, it adds some color to the dinner table or at a pot lot feast. This is one of my mom’s specialty recipes, and folks are always asking her how to make this dish. 

The Basic Casserole

•    sweet potatoes (3 or 4 medium potatoes – 6 inches long and 2 to 2 inches thick 
•    1/2 stick butter 
•    1/2 cup white sugar 
•    2 eggs 
•    1 tsp vanilla 
•    1/2 tsp cinnamon 

The Topping

•    1/2 cup brown sugar 
•    1/4 cup pecans 

Directions:

Boil sweet potatoes until they are soft when stuck with a fork. Let cool a bit. Peel. The peeling basically falls right off. Mash sweet potatoes until nice and creamy.

Add the casserole ingredients to the mashed sweet potatoes. The order isn’t critical. It does help to let the butter get pretty soft or even to melt the butter. Mix everything in well.

Spray a little Pam or very lightly grease a casserole in the 9 x 9 size range. Pour the sweet potato mixture in and smooth even.

Mix the topping in a small bowl. If you’re in a hurry, you can just put the topping on in the order listed.

Bake casserole for 15 minutes at 450 degrees. This crisps up the topping and has the filling piping hot. 

Tips: 

Sweet Potato Casserole can be put together the night before and then baked right before the meal. Just tuck it in the refrigerator and pull it out the next day. Allow a little more cooking time if the casserole is fully chilled.

This casserole also warms up well in the microwave. You probably won’t have leftovers, but if you do, you’ll enjoy the sweet potatoes re-heated too. 

That looks WAY too sweet.  One of the problems with sweet potato recipes is that they are so over sweetened.
Happy Thanksgiving to you all and to all my friends and relatives that still talk to me. Smiling
(11-25-2015, 10:41 PM)cletus1 Wrote: Look here people, traditional Thanksgiving dinner is as follows: Turkey, and or ham, mashed potatoes and gravy, stuffing, a single veggie, rolls, pies, salad, alcohol and non alcohol drinks and some horderves. Whipping cream and ice cream is permitted for pies and that's it. 

Anyone that serves prime rib, turducken or any other main course meat is an un American social misfit.  And apple pie is for people that don't understand what real good pie is. 

I made  a pork loin. I can't tell you what a relief it was not to make a turkey!  And the Thai curry sweet potato, mashed potato, the one veggie:  Garlic Lemon Broccoli; cheater rolls, and Trader Joe pies which are suprisingly good and don't need to be baked!  Yay! 
(11-26-2015, 08:08 PM)Tiamat Wrote:
(11-26-2015, 08:26 AM)bbqboy Wrote:

her casserole-

The Basic Casserole

•    1/2 stick butter 
•    1/2 cup white sugar 
•    2 eggs 
•    1 tsp vanilla 
•    1/2 tsp cinnamon 

The Topping

•    1/2 cup brown sugar 
•    1/4 cup pecans 

Directions:

Tips: 

That looks WAY too sweet.  One of the problems with sweet potato recipes is that they are so over sweetened.

I agree, but Cyndi is a Southern Girl thru and thru.
(11-26-2015, 08:08 PM)Snail Wrote: Happy Thanksgiving to you all and to all my friends and relatives that still talk to me. Smiling

Back at you....  Wink