Oregon Champs
The Portland Timbers are the MLS (Major League Soccer) champions this year. 

Yeah, I know. 

Wink

But still...
(12-06-2015, 06:02 PM)Wonky3 Wrote: The Portland Timbers are the MLS (Major League Soccer) champions this year. 

Yeah, I know. 

Wink

But still...

With all the talk of team names and mascots I am surprised a team in Portland can still get away with the name Timbers, very insensitive towards trees with "Timber" being something you yell when you cut them down. I think they better change their name to something more fitting for the city they represent, like the Portland Latte's, Vegans or Hipsters
(12-07-2015, 09:06 AM)GPnative Wrote:
(12-06-2015, 06:02 PM)Wonky3 Wrote: The Portland Timbers are the MLS (Major League Soccer) champions this year. 

Yeah, I know. 

Wink

But still...

With all the talk of team names and mascots I am surprised a team in Portland can still get away with the name Timbers, very insensitive towards trees with "Timber" being something you yell when you cut them down. I think they better change their name to something more fitting for the city they represent, like the Portland Latte's, Vegans or Hipsters

I realized this isn't very important when compared to all the stuff going on in our world. But...
I like that the team is named the "Timbers". Says Oregon, loud and clear. 
I don't think there is anything wrong with cutting down trees. The issue is how many we plant to replace them and our attitudes about sustained yields. Cutting down trees provides lots of jobs. We need 'em. 

Hipsters?  Laughing. Yeah, we have a few. Vegans? Lot's of those too. Let's hope they NEVER define our state. 
Isn't this European football?

Just like the Europeans, can't get the shape of the ball right an they cover it with black and white hexagons.
(12-07-2015, 02:00 PM)chuck white Wrote: Isn't this European football?

Just like the Europeans, can't get the shape of the ball right an they cover it with black and white hexagons.

My grandson who follows this stuff tell me that MLS here in the US is considered the minor leagues of world football (FIFA) but that MLS is getting much better. 
Easy game to learn to watch: They either get it in the net or not. Mostly not. 
Highly conditioned athletes. I wonder...compared to basketball players who is in better shape? 
I was in pretty good shape when I played Nine-Ball.  Wink. I trained on beer and Lucky Strike smokes.  Sad
(12-07-2015, 02:16 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:

My grandson who follows this stuff tell me that MLS here in the US is considered the minor leagues of world football (FIFA) but that MLS is getting much better. 
Highly conditioned athletes. I wonder...compared to basketball players who is in better shape? 
I was in pretty good shape when I played Nine-Ball.  Wink. I trained on beer and Lucky Strike smokes.  Sad

Yep, just like basketball and fishing and watching the kid at the tropical fish store. Or the dog catcher.. the guys in the white coats and.........
(12-07-2015, 07:09 PM)tvguy Wrote:

Yep, just like basketball and fishing and watching the kid at the tropical fish store. Or the dog catcher.. the guys in the white coats and.........

That's funny. Did you get that off the net?

Well it AIN'T just like fishin' for me, cause I don't get that many in the net.
Now TVg, he gets 'em by the bushel. Of course he uses dynamite...
(12-07-2015, 08:56 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:

Playing soccer or fishing ?
(12-07-2015, 09:34 PM)chuck white Wrote:
(12-07-2015, 08:56 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:

Playing soccer or fishing ?

That's a question? Really?  Smiling