Get yours!
Worth buying a ticket?
If you won, what would be your splurge purchase?

[Image: f62ecdf74c0ac0c4ef5a3a3a0ad1cb08.jpg]
My splurge purchase would be a crewed yacht in the Caribbean while we decide what to do with the money.
(01-10-2016, 09:03 AM)Scrapper Wrote: My splurge purchase would be a crewed yacht in the Caribbean while we decide what to do with the money.

Recent experiences made me think of another thing I would do with that kind of money.  I would have my own "Insurance" plan that covered all of my family and friends, forever, so none of them would ever have to worry about getting sick or dying.
(01-10-2016, 09:13 AM)Someones Dad Wrote:
(01-10-2016, 09:03 AM)Scrapper Wrote: My splurge purchase would be a crewed yacht in the Caribbean while we decide what to do with the money.

Recent experiences made me think of another thing I would do with that kind of money.  I would have my own "Insurance" plan that covered all of my family and friends, forever, so none of them would ever have to worry about getting sick or dying.
I like that plan.
It's not that it's not worth buying a ticket....but I never buy lottery tickets. Mostly it just doesn't occur to me. When I do, I never win, so, it's hard for me to imagine winning and having a fantasy about what to do with those winnings. I think I would probably just buy security. A nice place to live, set up my children for their lives, and my grandchildren. I think the rest would be some kind of travel based entertainment. I could travel, which I never have and not have to do it pauper style. Other than than that it would just be creature comforts I suppose. But I don't care about boats, swimming pools, saunas, masseuses, things like that. And I don't care about possessions much either. So I wouldn't be buying yachts, cars, planes, furs, or jewelry. I might buy myself a new chair though for my computer desk. This is one held together with duct tape. Yeah. Maybe a chair.
(01-10-2016, 09:32 AM)Juniper Wrote: It's not that it's not worth buying a ticket....but I never buy lottery tickets. Mostly it just doesn't occur to me.  When I do, I never win, so, it's hard for me to imagine winning and having a fantasy about what to do with those winnings. I think I would probably just buy security.  A nice place to live, set up my children for their lives, and my grandchildren.  I think the rest would be some kind of travel based entertainment. I could travel, which I never have and not have to do it pauper style.  Other than than that it would just be creature comforts I suppose.  But I don't care about boats, swimming pools, saunas, masseuses, things like that. And I don't care about possessions much either. So I wouldn't be buying yachts, cars, planes, furs, or jewelry.  I might buy myself a new chair though for my computer desk. This is one held together with duct tape. Yeah. Maybe a chair.

Big Grin We are on the same page. I might finally buy a wrist watch that costs more than 20 bucks....no I wouldn't.  Wink

A friend of mine tells me when these lottery things get huge a person would be silly not to buy a ticket and a fool to buy more than one. Like you, I seldom think of them and haven't bought one in years. I know someone has to win, but I won't stand in line to buy a ticket. Actually, I think the stress of winning would make me sick...too many cousins coming out of the wood work, etc. 
(01-10-2016, 09:44 AM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(01-10-2016, 09:32 AM)Juniper Wrote: It's not that it's not worth buying a ticket....but I never buy lottery tickets. Mostly it just doesn't occur to me.  When I do, I never win, so, it's hard for me to imagine winning and having a fantasy about what to do with those winnings. I think I would probably just buy security.  A nice place to live, set up my children for their lives, and my grandchildren.  I think the rest would be some kind of travel based entertainment. I could travel, which I never have and not have to do it pauper style.  Other than than that it would just be creature comforts I suppose.  But I don't care about boats, swimming pools, saunas, masseuses, things like that. And I don't care about possessions much either. So I wouldn't be buying yachts, cars, planes, furs, or jewelry.  I might buy myself a new chair though for my computer desk. This is one held together with duct tape. Yeah. Maybe a chair.

Big Grin We are on the same page. I might finally buy a wrist watch that costs more than 20 bucks....no I wouldn't.  Wink

A friend of mine tells me when these lottery things get huge a person would be silly not to buy a ticket and a fool to buy more than one. Like you, I seldom think of them and haven't bought one in years. I know someone has to win, but I won't stand in line to buy a ticket. Actually, I think the stress of winning would make me sick...too many cousins coming out of the wood work, etc. 

I agree, winning would be at least temporarily stressful.  First move:  Attorney.  Second move....move away, even if it's to a hotel and temporarily.  3rd move:  change all phone numbers and emails!
(01-10-2016, 09:49 AM)Juniper Wrote:

I agree, winning would be at least temporarily stressful.  First move:  Attorney.  Second move....move away, even if it's to a hotel and temporarily.  3rd move:  change all phone numbers and emails!

Yep. I take great comfort that I won't have the problem. 

That's why we would rent the crewed yacht and disappear to the Caribbean while we decide exactly what to do.  If you stayed home?  Everyone and their brother and mother would be knocking on your door, calling you, emailing you... wanting a piece of it.  The taking care of parents, kids, grandkiddos part is a given.  I've always wanted to do an African Safari... so I'd definitely splurge on that!  And Fiji!   Big Grin
(01-10-2016, 10:20 AM)Scrapper Wrote:

That's why we would rent the crewed yacht and disappear to the Caribbean while we decide exactly what to do.  If you stayed home?  Everyone and their brother and mother would be knocking on your door, calling you, emailing you... wanting a piece of it.  The taking care of parents, kids, grandkiddos part is a given.  I've always wanted to do an African Safari... so I'd definitely splurge on that!  And Fiji!   Big Grin

Of course you wouldn't get a billion.  You'd get about 200 million plus, after taxes. or so that's what I'd heard.
I would buy Gold Hill. All of it. Make it a Kingdom.
(01-10-2016, 09:13 AM)Someones Dad Wrote:

Health insurance is already free.
IMO lottery tickets are for chumps. It usually looks to me like the people who buy them are the ones who can least afford it and on top of that often not all that sharp.

I'll never understand the extra desire to buy a ticket when the prize is a billion rather than a few million.Why are people so much more interested in a billion than a few million? Either way you are filthy stinking rich.
(01-10-2016, 12:16 PM)tvguy Wrote:

Free? I don't think so. We pay for ours... plus co-pays... plus our percentage after the insurance pays their part.
(01-10-2016, 12:14 PM)bbqboy Wrote: I would buy Gold Hill. All of it. Make it a Kingdom.

You know it's not all gold, right? I don't think it's worth too much.   Wink
(01-10-2016, 12:27 PM)Cuzz Wrote:
(01-10-2016, 12:14 PM)bbqboy Wrote: I would buy Gold Hill. All of it. Make it a Kingdom.

You know it's not all gold, right? I don't think it's worth too much.   Wink
Damn!
So William Devane is a liar? Big Grin
Alright.
I'll throw in Rogue River too.
On second thought,
I'll bet I can get all of JoCo.
Talk about cheap! Wanna go in half with me? Big Grin
(01-10-2016, 12:25 PM)Scrapper Wrote:

Free?  I don't think so.  We pay for ours... plus co-pays... plus our percentage after the insurance pays their part.

My health care plus my wife's is free. I was unassuming SD was talking about giving health insurance to those family and friends who don't have it.
(01-10-2016, 12:52 PM)tvguy Wrote:

Free?  I don't think so.  We pay for ours... plus co-pays... plus our percentage after the insurance pays their part.

My health care plus my wife's is free. I was unassuming SD was talking about giving health insurance to those family and friends who don't have it.
For me, it would be making sure any health care they needed would be available to them. People not getting the care they need due to either crappy coverage, debt they can't afford, what ever it is... would never be a concern again.
If you win And don't have healthcare. The penalty would be 2.5%, or about 32.5 million.
(01-10-2016, 12:57 PM)Scrapper Wrote:
(01-10-2016, 12:52 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(01-10-2016, 09:13 AM)Someones Dad Wrote: Recent experiences made me think of another thing I would do with that kind of money.  I would have my own "Insurance" plan that covered all of my family and friends, forever, so none of them would ever have to worry about getting sick or dying.

For me, it would be making sure any health care they needed would be available to them.  People not getting the care they need due to either crappy coverage, debt they can't afford, what ever it is... would never be a concern again.

When my wife first applied for health care she was working. I was not but at 62 I received SSI and a pension. I don't have to claim any of my pension until I'm 72.
We both qualified and we both used it to the tune of hundreds of thousands. So I think basically according to age or an income of less than 30K Health care is free.