No wonder Facebook is killing this forum
(03-14-2016, 03:37 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(03-14-2016, 03:30 PM)Scrapper Wrote:
(03-14-2016, 02:34 PM)Scrapper Wrote:
(03-14-2016, 12:41 PM)tvguy Wrote: I knows Clete, Wonky and Tia's real names But I think that's about it.

I don't really care but if anyone wants to post on Facebook "Wars" It would be nice if I knew who you are.

There are quite a few redneck Trump supporter types but also quite a few Bernie hippie types too. Razz

And it's not a politics.. Thank God. 

This is the first I've heard of Facebook "Wars".

Wait... is that the Scanner thing?  I thought that had imploded.
No the scanner thing is still there. Just not too interesting to me.

"Wars" was the offshoot of the Scanner page. It used to be called "Scanner Wars". Sometime in the period between when I was banned and when I was allowed to return, it changed to being called just Wars.  It evolved.  But they are tied.  If you get banned from one, you are likely to banned from the other. Or, at least that's what it used to be like. But, it never imploded.  When I was reinstated so were a lot of other people who seemed to have been banned simply for posting against the Status Quo which, originally and still is to a point, very Jeffersonian, right wing, extreme Republican, Christian, open carry, patriot types. But they got carried away with the banning thing and even started eating their own.  I'm not sure what was behind the mass reinstatement of posters, but it seems to have been a wide flung net. I see lots of people back who were banned around the time I was.  Perhaps because of that, the wild west feeling of the place is reduced and it seems less harsh but the whiners are still there.  
The other thing about being banned, is that on here, it's an announcement.  You KNOW. Everyone KNOWS you've been banned. It says it. So,no confusion. On Wars it was "banned". It was just eliminated. You just ceased to exist. The page ceased to exist. That was frustrating because you couldn't plead your case.
(03-14-2016, 06:52 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(03-14-2016, 02:34 PM)Scrapper Wrote:
(03-14-2016, 12:41 PM)tvguy Wrote: I knows Clete, Wonky and Tia's real names But I think that's about it.

I don't really care but if anyone wants to post on Facebook "Wars" It would be nice if I knew who you are.

There are quite a few redneck Trump supporter types but also quite a few Bernie hippie types too.
And it's not a politics.. Thank God. 

This is the first I've heard of Facebook "Wars".

"Wars" was the offshoot of the Scanner page. It used to be called "Scanner Wars". Sometime in the period between when I was banned and when I was allowed to return, it changed to being called just Wars.  It evolved.  But they are tied.  If you get banned from one, you are likely to banned from the other. Or, at least that's what it used to be like. But, it never imploded.  When I was reinstated so were a lot of other people who seemed to have been banned simply for posting against the Status Quo which, originally and still is to a point, very Jeffersonian, right wing, extreme Republican, Christian, open carry, patriot types. But they got carried away with the banning thing and even started eating their own.  I'm not sure what was behind the mass reinstatement of posters, but it seems to have been a wide flung net. I see lots of people back who were banned around the time I was.  Perhaps because of that, the wild west feeling of the place is reduced and it seems less harsh but the whiners are still there.  
They ended up turning on there own... that's what I meant when I said they imploded. I remember it being quite crazy at one point.
(03-14-2016, 07:10 PM)Scrapper Wrote:
(03-14-2016, 06:52 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(03-14-2016, 02:34 PM)Scrapper Wrote: This is the first I've heard of Facebook "Wars".

They ended up turning on there own... that's what I meant when I said they imploded.  I remember it being quite crazy at one point.

Yeah it did. I've never had an inside scoop to that place, but my feeling is, that they themselves realized it had gotten out of control with Moderators or administrators or whatever they called themselves, because lots of people were reinstated around the same time.
(03-14-2016, 05:32 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(03-14-2016, 03:56 PM)Valuesize Wrote: I occasionally visit Reddit but I don't know if anyone in your area posts there. 

Did you know anyone when you first posted here?

Yes, I was a member of MTF from about 2007. When it was shut down this place took a long time to get rolling and I had moved to GP from Jackson Co. so ILGP made sense. 
(03-14-2016, 05:52 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(03-14-2016, 03:43 PM)Valuesize Wrote:
(03-14-2016, 02:04 PM)GPnative Wrote: Fuck Facebook
I am happy to browse what little activity goes on here.

I'm with you matey.  Laughing 

Though it would be nice to have more content posted by the members we still do have. As I've said before, the Kam (or whoever) needs to unlock all the threads and stop locking them automatically. 

I would also like all the permanently banned members given a pardon, but tossed in a caveat of one strike and you're out.

Oh, and bring back "The Thunderdome!"  Laughing

You are contradicting yourself aren't you? You can't agree with GP who is "happy to browse what little activity goes on here" and then pine for the good old days when something actually was going on here.

So basically you want this place to be like it was. Which isn't about to happen. But you are not interested in some other place that IS more like this place was?

I don't understand

I agreed with the F-FB part.

Two things I recall about FB I disliked the most. Having an account seems to prompt EVERY site on the web to bug you more with FB requests and it was too difficult to learn how to streamline everything so it is less abusive. On that note, if I had a friend that was THE know it all about FB and set it all up for me, I possibly would give it another try. 

On the other hand, why do I need another reason to sit and stare at my computer screen? 
(03-14-2016, 10:51 PM)Valuesize Wrote:

Though it would be nice to have more content posted by the members we still do have. As I've said before, the Kam (or whoever) needs to unlock all the threads and stop locking them automatically. 

I would also like all the permanently banned members given a pardon, but tossed in a caveat of one strike and you're out.

You are contradicting yourself aren't you? You can't agree with GP who is "happy to browse what little activity goes on here" and then pine for the good old days when something actually was going on here.

So basically you want this place to be like it was. Which isn't about to happen. But you are not interested in some other place that IS more like this place was?

I don't understand

Two things I recall about FB I disliked the most. Having an account seems to prompt EVERY site on the web to bug you more with FB requests and it was too difficult to learn how to streamline everything so it is less abusive. On that note, if I had a friend that was THE know it all about FB and set it all up for me, I possibly would give it another try. 

On the other hand, why do I need another reason to sit and stare at my computer screen? 

I think the heyday of the internet forum has peaked.  They are still around but they aren't what they used to be.  People seem to love FB. I can see some of the appeal. Keeping in touch with people you know, including family or lost friends.  But its very tangential and usually very shallow. It's just the nature of it, because even more serious sites within FB are that way.  Like people forgot how to use writing to convey thoughts.  My 13  year old grandson couldn't read a sentence in cursive last week. Because he's never learned how to read or write in cursive.  That's what FB is like. And I've learned to filter it. I don't seem to get hit with a ton of topics I'm not interested in. There's always a "relevant" ad running along side though. Soemthing it  picked up on from something I said or looked at.  I've also learned how to not look at a lot of things.  The ads don't bother me. I've learned to ignore them.
(03-15-2016, 07:47 AM)Juniper Wrote: I think the heyday of the internet forum has peaked.  They are still around but they aren't what they used to be.  People seem to love FB. I can see some of the appeal. Keeping in touch with people you know, including family or lost friends.  But its very tangential and usually very shallow. It's just the nature of it, because even more serious sites within FB are that way.  Like people forgot how to use writing to convey thoughts.  My 13  year old grandson couldn't read a sentence in cursive last week. Because he's never learned how to read or write in cursive.  That's what FB is like. And I've learned to filter it. I don't seem to get hit with a ton of topics I'm not interested in. There's always a "relevant" ad running along side though. Something it  picked up on from something I said or looked at.  I've also learned how to not look at a lot of things.  The ads don't bother me. I've learned to ignore them.

I use Adblock Plus with my Chrome and it keeps ads at bay well. Occasionally a site will have a popup stating they know I'm using AB and I need to disable it to continue, but not often. 
(03-15-2016, 07:57 AM)Valuesize Wrote:
(03-15-2016, 07:47 AM)Juniper Wrote: I think the heyday of the internet forum has peaked.  They are still around but they aren't what they used to be.  People seem to love FB. I can see some of the appeal. Keeping in touch with people you know, including family or lost friends.  But its very tangential and usually very shallow. It's just the nature of it, because even more serious sites within FB are that way.  Like people forgot how to use writing to convey thoughts.  My 13  year old grandson couldn't read a sentence in cursive last week. Because he's never learned how to read or write in cursive.  That's what FB is like. And I've learned to filter it. I don't seem to get hit with a ton of topics I'm not interested in. There's always a "relevant" ad running along side though. Something it  picked up on from something I said or looked at.  I've also learned how to not look at a lot of things.  The ads don't bother me. I've learned to ignore them.

I use Adblock Plus with my Chrome and it keeps ads at bay well. Occasionally a site will have a popup stating the know I'm using AB and I need to disable to continue, but not often. 
They don't bother me. Sometimes they actually are showing me something I want, since I'm super selective, it steers me toward certain sites and brands I didn't know about.
(03-14-2016, 03:28 PM)tvguy Wrote:

Well OK but I'm not. I typically click on this site and find nearly nothing to comment on or maybe one post and if I do comment there might not be a response at all or it might be the next day.

Can you explain what it is you don't like about Facebook? I'm just curious.

It's a massive data mining site with people willingly and happily partaking of social engineering on a global scale. (Insert your tin foil hat jokes here, but the statement is still true) It's most ardent and addicted users will defend it emphatically, as all good lemmings will do.  The favored tag line "It's a way for me to connect with friends and family" is a sure sign of having drank the kool-aid and not understanding or comprehending how they have been manipulated into becoming an FB drone.

There is no healthy or good reason to connect with "old flames" and FB makes it very easy to do so. FB presents opportunities that need not be a part of a persons real life, we as a people do not need to reconnect with old flames or distant relatives that without FB we would otherwise have nothing to do with. Life should be lived in our own tangible realities, not the digital realm where you spend countless hours bragging about yourself, arguing with people who don't really care, or telling fake friends what you ate for dinner. I have seen marriages of 15 years ripped apart by FB. Families, with kids, ending in divorce because one decides to connect with an old flame or can't say no to the tempting allure of a new digital fling. The kids appearing totally indifferent to their parents divorce, heads buried and hands clinging to their phone or tablet. Never actually talking about how they feel about it, or that they even know how to feel at all, sharing their feelings has become nothing more than a tweet and an emoji.
Kids and adults both, who don't have healthy, meaningful relationships any more, their interaction with people being all digital. Mindless drones going about their day and instead of engaging in conversations with real people they sit zombie stared at their Icrap device, mindlessly liking this, disliking that, considering themselves so socially aware and enlightened with their elevated sense of self worth because they have "X" amount of followers. Totally blind to themselves having become an egotistical, narcissistic drone, living a life lacking in tangible worth.  I think an alcoholic is more apt to quit drinking then for an FB drone to give up their digital high. My own mother, pushing 70, anxiously awaits "likes" to her posts.....Sad, so very sad.

You ask why I don't like Facebook, the answer is simple, Life is better without it.
If one's marriage/family is ripped apart by Facebook... that marriage/family was already doomed.  Just sayin'.  Rolling Eyes
(03-15-2016, 09:05 AM)GPnative Wrote:

Well OK but I'm not. I typically click on this site and find nearly nothing to comment on or maybe one post and if I do comment there might not be a response at all or it might be the next day.

It's a massive data mining site with people willingly and happily partaking of social engineering on a global scale. (Insert your tin foil hat jokes here, but the statement is still true) It's most ardent and addicted users will defend it emphatically, as all good lemmings will do.  The favored tag line "It's a way for me to connect with friends and family" is a sure sign of having drank the kool-aid and not understanding or comprehending how they have been manipulated into becoming an FB drone.

There is no healthy or good reason to connect with "old flames" and FB makes it very easy to do so. FB presents opportunities that need not be a part of a persons real life, we as a people do not need to reconnect with old flames or distant relatives that without FB we would otherwise have nothing to do with. Life should be lived in our own tangible realities, not the digital realm where you spend countless hours bragging about yourself, arguing with people who don't really care, or telling fake friends what you ate for dinner. I have seen marriages of 15 years ripped apart by FB. Families, with kids, ending in divorce because one decides to connect with an old flame or can't say no to the tempting allure of a new digital fling. The kids appearing totally indifferent to their parents divorce, heads buried and hands clinging to their phone or tablet. Never actually talking about how they feel about it, or that they even know how to feel at all, sharing their feelings has become nothing more than a tweet and an emoji.
Kids and adults both, who don't have healthy, meaningful relationships any more, their interaction with people being all digital. Mindless drones going about their day and instead of engaging in conversations with real people they sit zombie stared at their Icrap device, mindlessly liking this, disliking that, considering themselves so socially aware and enlightened with their elevated sense of self worth because they have "X" amount of followers. Totally blind to themselves having become an egotistical, narcissistic drone, living a life lacking in tangible worth.  I think an alcoholic is more apt to quit drinking then for an FB drone to give up their digital high. My own mother, pushing 70, anxiously awaits "likes" to her posts.....Sad, so very sad.

You ask why I don't like Facebook, the answer is simple, Life is better without it.

This is the best anti Facebook post ever. Or maybe I just think it is because I have seen what you described. My wife's brother is married to a wonderful woman that got into chatting on FB with lost friends and Waddaya know, she met up with someone and it nearly ruined their marriage. I could say more, but it doesn't matter. 

I think most people that use Facebook don't have those kind of problems and use FB happily. They like everyone knowing what they are doing all of the time. We do that here too, but it seems different somehow. My wife is on Facebook, but seldom responds to any of the friend requests or posts anything at all. She is a FB dead beat. Mostly she is busy playing Candy Crush. Stupid game. 
(03-15-2016, 09:39 AM)cletus1 Wrote:

This is the best anti Facebook post ever. Or maybe I just think it is because I have seen what you described. My wife's brother is married to a wonderful woman that got into chatting on FB with lost friends and Waddaya know, she met up with someone and it nearly ruined their marriage. I could say more, but it doesn't matter. 

I think most people that use Facebook don't have those kind of problems and use FB happily. They like everyone knowing what they are doing all of the time. We do that here too, but it seems different somehow. My wife is on Facebook, but seldom responds to any of the friend requests or posts anything at all. She is a FB dead beat. Mostly she is busy playing Candy Crush. Stupid game. 

Yes, my opinion of FB is not necessarily true for every user in all cases, but the overall impact it has and will continue to have on society is huge and undeniable.
(03-15-2016, 09:28 AM)Scrapper Wrote: If one's marriage/family is ripped apart by Facebook... that marriage/family was already doomed.  Just sayin'.  Rolling Eyes

Spoken like a true FB addicted denier....just sayin'
(03-15-2016, 09:50 AM)GPnative Wrote:
(03-15-2016, 09:28 AM)Scrapper Wrote: If one's marriage/family is ripped apart by Facebook... that marriage/family was already doomed.  Just sayin'.  Rolling Eyes

Spoken like a true FB addicted denier....just sayin'

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
(03-14-2016, 06:43 PM)Juniper Wrote: There a a few whose names I don't know..  This place is dying. Just about dead. But i don't think it's because we chased people off. I think it's just a case of "video killed the radio star".  People post differently now. People used to (I still do) post from their desk tops or lap tops. I remember when, on the old forum, some of the first smartphone posting starting happening. It was new. It was novel.  Now, it's the norm, and people posting from laptops or desktops are the exception.  And it changes the nature and the feel of the place.  Wars is a busy place.  And it has the uber entitled attitude that a lot of facebook users have. So entitled. So better than thou.  So Snide.  But when people are posting from their smart phone while waiting in line at the grocery store, or sitting at their sons soccer game, or whatever, the nature of the way people talk and share and debate changes.   What you won't find on Wars much is much in the way of  meaningful discussion.  Maybe TV disagrees with me there. But I've learned peoples names here mostly because I've had meaningful debates and conversations with them. I definitely have learned the names of many folks in Wars, but they don't feel the same to me as the folks I met and learned to know here. As insulting as snide as this place could be, it's worse in wars. It seems like TV is pretty satisfied with Wars.  I am not.  I prefer my West Medford Site. It is moderated, but it isn't the moderation that seems to make it a friendlier more conversational place; its more like the people just aren't coming there to "War".  I'd like to find some other conversation/debated based sites on FB, so if you know them, pass them on.  As it is, I go to West Medford for community, and Wars for entertainment. I see TV there and Steve Ryan who used to be on this forum, but can't remember what his name is.  And Amanda. And Tiffany, And JJ, and BBQBoy, and Randy Weeks and his wife.....what was her name?....and many others from the old forum.  But it's never been the place of community this place used to be.  Oh, well, times change, right?  I'll be sad when this place is gone. Sad Bottom line?  I  may be over on wars and not here, but I wish I was here.

First off I assume this is a solid block of eye bleeding text because you are posting from a phone?

"What you won't find on Wars much is much in the way of  meaningful discussion.  Maybe TV disagrees with me there."
That true sometimes and sometimes it's not true. And if you really think about this place I can remember tons of conversations that are less than meaningful.
Think about the subjects here..Climate change..Guns.. The same shit over and over and over. Absolutely no different than (FB Wars).
And When I think back we had whack jobs and malcontent America haters just like you'll find on Wars.

I think there may certainly be better sites on FB than Wars but you can pick and choose who you respond too or what subjects and you don't have to take on people like I do. Wink
(03-14-2016, 06:57 PM)Juniper Wrote: The other thing about being banned, is that on here, it's an announcement.  You KNOW. Everyone KNOWS you've been banned. It says it. So,no confusion. On Wars it was "banned". It was just eliminated. You just ceased to exist. The page ceased to exist. That was frustrating because you couldn't plead your case.

Usually when someone gets banned They were very active and then suddenly you see their old posts and their name is it a lighter font so you know they got booted.
I haven't seen anyone get banned unless they repeatedly said something the admin said not to say.
(03-14-2016, 10:51 PM)Valuesize Wrote:

I don't understand

Two things I recall about FB I disliked the most. Having an account seems to prompt EVERY site on the web to bug you more with FB requests

I don't get any at all other than the occasional friend of a friend who sends me a friend request. So yeah, it must have been your set up.

"On the other hand, why do I need another reason to sit and stare at my computer screen?"

What I'm saying is before long it WON'T be Another place, this place will be gone.IMO is pretty much already is gone.
But if you don't want to do the same thing you do here then OK whatever.

You have valid point bit it seems like you only focus on the negative aspects of facebook.

The favored tag line "It's a way for me to connect with friends and family" is a sure sign of having drank the kool-aid and not understanding or comprehending how they have been manipulated into becoming an FB drone.

I find that comment to be pretty much ridiculous. I have a son and DIL In North Carolina and three grand kid. Every one has their own FB accounts.
I totally love to see their posts and photos and even videos.
I have two nephews in Ohio( both fire fighters) and I love to hear about their adventures.
I have a son in Seattle.. same thing
Old best friends in Tuscon and another in Phoenix Nev. who come by for visits.

I can't for the life of me see anything wrong with communicating via FB

Absolutely. Smiling