Crossword Puzzles
I listen to NPR. 
Some of the features, Most days. 
On Sunday mornings there is a feature with Will Shortz: The Sunday Puzzler. It's not a favorite part, for me, of the Sunday AM broadcast. I won't attempt to explain it to those who havn't heard it, but it just seems kind of silly to me. 

An aside: If curious, go to Wikipedia  a look up Will Shortz.

And it raises (for me) a larger issue. What's the worth of crossword puzzles? Many of the really "bright" people I've known do them, and many do them each day. Every day.

I enjoy the language but Have never understood the value of obsucre words or what we gain by learning to connect these hints to find a specific word as an "answer". 

So, I'm curious if folks here enjoy crossword puzzles and do them often. If so, I'd like to hear what you find interesting and "fun" about them.
(04-24-2016, 08:37 AM)Wonky3 Wrote: I listen to NPR. 
On Sunday mornings there is a feature with Will Shortz: The Sunday Puzzler. It's not a favorite part, for me, of the Sunday AM broadcast. I won't attempt to explain it to those who havn't heard it, but it just seems kind of silly to me. 

And it raises (for me) a larger issue. What's the worth of crossword puzzles? Many of the really "bright" people I've known do them, and many do them each day. Every day.

I enjoy the language but Have never understood the value of obsucre words or what we gain by learning to connect these hints to find a specific word as an "answer". 

So, I'm curious if folks here enjoy crossword puzzles and do them often. If so, I'd like to hear what you find interesting and "fun" about them.

I don't do crossword puzzles, or haven't for many a year. But, I think the attraction is just an effort to exercise and challenge the mind. There are far worse ways to use ones time.
(04-24-2016, 09:03 AM)Cuzz Wrote:

I don't do crossword puzzles, or haven't for many a year. But, I think the attraction is just an effort to exercise and challenge the mind. There are far worse ways to use ones time. I just never understood why asking what a 9 letter word for 
I'm sure "There are far worse ways to use ones time", as you say.
I've just never really understood why finding a nine letter word for exaggeration would agument ones vocabulary any more than reading and finding words in context.

Math puzzles make a lot more sense to me. (Not that I'm all that great at them) 

Whatever: Just a curious thought that came up while listening to an NPR radio thing. 

One thing for sure: Anyting that keeps the old gray matter working is a good thing. I guess crossword puzzles do that.
(04-24-2016, 09:54 AM)Wonky3 Wrote:

I don't do crossword puzzles, or haven't for many a year. But, I think the attraction is just an effort to exercise and challenge the mind. There are far worse ways to use ones time. I just never understood why asking what a 9 letter word for 
I've just never really understood why finding a nine letter word for exaggeration would agument ones vocabulary any more than reading and finding words in context.

Whatever: Just a curious thought that came up while listening to an NPR radio thing. 

One thing for sure: Anyting that keeps the old gray matter working is a good thing. I guess crossword puzzles do that.

Math Puzzles

Here you go
[Image: paste34.jpg]
(04-24-2016, 12:14 PM)chuck white Wrote:

Math Puzzles

Here you go

What's the point? Is anyone trying to get their arithmetic skills back. My calculator is the reason even simple math is harder for me these days, but I'm ok with that unless I forget my calculator and it's hard to do that unless I forget my phone. And if I forget my phone, hope is lost and I go into a deep depression.
(04-24-2016, 12:30 PM)cletus1 Wrote:
(04-24-2016, 12:14 PM)chuck white Wrote:

Math Puzzles

Here you go

What's the point? Is anyone trying to get their arithmetic skills back. My calculator is the reason even simple math is harder for me these days, but I'm ok with that unless I forget my calculator and it's hard to do that unless I forget my phone. And if I forget my phone, hope is lost and I go into a deep depression.

Right on brother! (OF COURSE I know no one says that these days. I'm only starting to catch up with these days). 

I have a calulator so old it needs a 110V outlet, and my only phone is an flip phone model that requires I go through an AT&T operator. I go into a deep depression when I forget to wind my pocket watch. 

But I admire folks who keep the 'ol gray matter tunned up. While I'm not attracted to crossword or math puzzles I do enjoy things like seeing how high I can stack my building blocks or trying to herd my wife's cats. 

On the other hand I avoid "The Walking Dead", stupid pet tricks, and conversations with folks who have more than 300 tattoos. While I may not be gaining on it, I don't want to slip back. 

Speaking of which: Give "Infinite Jest" a whirl and see if that gives you a brain freeze. Or explain How Pee Wee Herman has managed to make a living from flim all these years. Or why heat flows only one way. I don't plan on winning the LOTTO. 

The world in an exciting and interesting place, where we can learn lessons every day. I don't want to bother with crossword puzzles, but I'll stay tuned for all the other stuff that stirs my interest. 

I still don't know much, but I'm staying awake in case something drops in front of me. 

Wonder if it might happen here?
Why do people do crosswords and what do they get out of it?  I would imagine knowledge and satisfaction that one is smart enough to do a cross word. I'm sure not all the words you learn are rare big words you'll never need.

Why do people read the obituaries or the comics. Or who got tossed in jail. Why do people throw playing cards in to a hat?
Why do people play solitaire? 
Why would someone post on a forum and ask why people do crossword puzzles?
(04-24-2016, 02:38 PM)tvguy Wrote: Why do people do crosswords and what do they get out of it?  I would imagine knowledge and satisfaction that one is smart enough to do a cross word. I'm sure not all the words you learn are rare big words you'll never need.

Why do people read the obituaries or the comics. Or who got tossed in jail. Why do people throw playing cards in to a hat?

And why y comes at the end of the alphabet?
(04-24-2016, 03:52 PM)chuck white Wrote:
(04-24-2016, 02:38 PM)tvguy Wrote: Why do people do crosswords and what do they get out of it?  I would imagine knowledge and satisfaction that one is smart enough to do a cross word. I'm sure not all the words you learn are rare big words you'll never need.

And why y comes at the end of the alphabet?

But not at the end, end.

If you have to ask the odds are good you will never know.

Why are you asking?
I started working crossword puzzles in the Los Angeles Herald Examiner when I was looking for a job. At the same time, I was an English major in college. Vocabulary was one of the courses of study. Learning new words each week was a boon to solving crosswords. Being a Scrabble addict was also helpful.

There was a pattern to the puzzles. After you had been doing them for a while, repetition set in, and the answers came too easily. Therefore, I limited myself to only doing the Sunday puzzles which were always bigger and more challenging. This regimen continued for a few years until I simply became bored with the matter. By the way, I used a ball point pen, and only consulted a dictionary when stumped by foreign words.

I think crossword puzzles is one of the best ways to increase one's vocabulary.
(04-24-2016, 05:26 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:

If you have to ask the odds are good you will never know.

Hmm. I wasn't asking. I was making a point. People do what amuses THEM. Smiling
(04-24-2016, 06:15 PM)tornado Wrote: I started working crossword puzzles in the Los Angeles Herald Examiner when I was looking for a job. At the same time, I was an English major in college. Vocabulary was one of the courses of study. Learning new words each week was a boon to solving crosswords. Being a Scrabble addict was also helpful.

There was a pattern to the puzzles. After you had been doing them for a while, repetition set in, and the answers came too easily. Therefore, I limited myself to only doing the Sunday puzzles which were always bigger and more challenging. This regimen continued for a few years until I simply became bored with the matter.  By the way, I used a ball point pen, and only consulted a dictionary when stumped by foreign words.

I think your right I always wanted a more better vocabularry.
(04-24-2016, 07:13 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(04-24-2016, 06:15 PM)tornado Wrote: I started working crossword puzzles in the Los Angeles Herald Examiner when I was looking for a job. At the same time, I was an English major in college. Vocabulary was one of the courses of study. Learning new words each week was a boon to solving crosswords. Being a Scrabble addict was also helpful.

There was a pattern to the puzzles. After you had been doing them for a while, repetition set in, and the answers came too easily. Therefore, I limited myself to only doing the Sunday puzzles which were always bigger and more challenging. This regimen continued for a few years until I simply became bored with the matter.  By the way, I used a ball point pen, and only consulted a dictionary when stumped by foreign words.

I think your right I always wanted a more better vocabularry.
Damn straight! Me to. I is awful good at spellin and basic english (redneck and regular) but never had no reason for a bunch of words that ain't in the holy bible. priase the lord. (I do cuss from time to time but try to never do it at pot-lucks or when they are winding the maypole)

Good point. I use with my Thesaurus when I can't find the right word, but I can see the benefit to ones vocabulary by doing crossword puzzles. 

I am too lazy to use the thesaurus for commication that does not matter all that much, like here, but when I had to write letters for my employer, I made every effort to be a bit more concise. I used to proof read my letters and memos several times before I sent any written communication to anyone.
(04-24-2016, 07:23 PM)cletus1 Wrote:

Good point. I use with my Theusaurs when I can't find the right word, but I can see the benefit to ones vocabulary by doing crossword puzzles. 

I am too lazy to use the Theusaurs for commication that does not matter all that much, like here, but when I had to write letters for my employer, I made every effort to be a bit more concise. I used to proof read my letters and memos several times before I sent any written communication to anyone.

Good point. I use with my Theusaurs when I can't find the right word.

Baloney them things is extinct.

Good point. I use with my Theusaurs when I can't find the right word, but I can see the benefit to ones vocabulary by doing crossword puzzles. 

I am too lazy to use the Theusaurs for commication that does not matter all that much, like here, but when I had to write letters for my employer, I made every effort to be a bit more concise. I used to proof read my letters and memos several times before I sent any written communication to anyone.

You spelt thesaurus wrong. Razz    

I can't figure out where but there used to be a fuction that was part of spell check when you could click on a word and get other similar words .....a thesaurus .. I don't see this function now Sad
(04-24-2016, 07:33 PM)tvguy Wrote:

Good point. I use with my thesaurus when I can't find the right word, but I can see the benefit to ones vocabulary by doing crossword puzzles. 

I am too lazy to use the thesaurus for commication that does not matter all that much, like here, but when I had to write letters for my employer, I made every effort to be a bit more concise. I used to proof read my letters and memos several times before I sent any written communication to anyone.

You spelt thesaurus wrong. Razz    

I can't figure out where but there used to be a fuction that was part of spell check when you could click on a word and get other similar words .....a thesaurus .. I don't see this function now Sad

Where?  Big Grin
(04-24-2016, 07:28 PM)tvguy Wrote:

Good point. I use with my thesaurus  when I can't find the right word, but I can see the benefit to ones vocabulary by doing crossword puzzles. 

Good point. I use with my Theusaurs when I can't find the right word.

Baloney them things is extinct.

Oh yeah the Theusaurs Rex. Yep extinct as hell.