In need of advice concerning local business doing bad business
Without having to explain the whole story I will start with a brief description. I was given a quote of $300 to fix a oil leak that began when I drove off a curb. It would drip oil onto the exhaust and smoke. I think something serious happened to my car while fixing it for they changed the estimate to $800. I told them 320 was all I had. It took me 4 months to save it. They agreed to fix the l for 320 but it leaked worse when I got it back the first time and it poured out the second time I was told it was fixed. They broke the lock on the passenger door the third time and tried to charge me more for that although they didn't fix it. Things didn't go well when I picked up my car the third time. Well my car is still leaking oil, smoking and stinking. It's leaking slightly more than before I took it to them the first time. I don't want to sue them or ruin their business but I paid them what he asked for to fix the leak and he didn't do that. I don't really want those people messing with my car again. Shouldn't he have to give my money back or pay someone else of my choosing to fix that leak. I've missed some work because of this and I'm restricted to where I can drive for I don't trust taking it very far. Is there anything that I can do.?
(04-24-2016, 08:24 PM)Smokin Wrote: Without having to explain the whole story I will start with a brief description. I was given a quote of $300 to fix a oil leak that began when I drove off a curb. It would drip oil onto the exhaust and smoke. I think something serious happened to my car while fixing it for they changed the estimate to $800. I told them 320 was all I had. It took me 4 months to save it. They agreed to fix the l for 320 but it leaked worse when I got it back the first time and it poured out the second time I was told it was fixed. They broke the lock on the passenger door the third time and tried to charge me more for that although they didn't fix it. Things didn't go well when I picked up my car the third time. Well my car is still leaking oil, smoking and stinking. It's leaking slightly more than before I took it to them the first time. I don't want to sue them or ruin their business but I paid them what he asked for to fix the leak and he didn't do that. I don't really want those people messing with my car again. Shouldn't he have to give my money back or pay someone else of my choosing to fix that leak. I've missed some work because of this and I'm restricted to where I can drive for I don't trust taking it very far. Is there anything that I can do.?

Why don't you want to sue them? If that's your only recourse then why not? Just tell them what you said here. I guess you could put it in writing and give it to the auto shop.
If I was the owner I would rather lose money fixing the car then have to go to court and lose it anyway.

Just tell then at this point if they don't fix your car you will take them to small claims court and you will report them to the better business bureau.

Good luck.
You report them to the bureau of automotive repair.
(04-24-2016, 08:32 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(04-24-2016, 08:24 PM)Smokin Wrote: Without having to explain the whole story I will start with a brief description. I was given a quote of $300 to fix a oil leak that began when I drove off a curb. It would drip oil onto the exhaust and smoke. I think something serious happened to my car while fixing it for they changed the estimate to $800. I told them 320 was all I had. It took me 4 months to save it. They agreed to fix the l for 320 but it leaked worse when I got it back the first time and it poured out the second time I was told it was fixed. They broke the lock on the passenger door the third time and tried to charge me more for that although they didn't fix it. Things didn't go well when I picked up my car the third time. Well my car is still leaking oil, smoking and stinking. It's leaking slightly more than before I took it to them the first time. I don't want to sue them or ruin their business but I paid them what he asked for to fix the leak and he didn't do that. I don't really want those people messing with my car again. Shouldn't he have to give my money back or pay someone else of my choosing to fix that leak. I've missed some work because of this and I'm restricted to where I can drive for I don't trust taking it very far. Is there anything that I can do.?

Why don't you want to sue them? If that's your only recourse then why not? Just tell them what you said here. I guess you could put it in writing and give it to the auto shop.
If I was the owner I would rather lose money fixing the car then have to go to court and lose it anyway.

Just tell then at this point if they don't fix your car you will take them to small claims court and you will report them to the better business bureau.

Good luck.
Thank you. I'm afraid to trust them with my car again. It's come back worse than before each time. I suppose it's them or nothing though. 

I'm not looking to complicate lives, ruin a mans reputation or source of income.  I guess if all else fails I would but I'll take your advice and see how he wants this to play out. Thanks again.
(04-24-2016, 09:03 PM)chuck white Wrote: You report them to the bureau of automotive repair.

I didn't know there was a bureau of automotive repair. Thank you for that information. 
So I report them and they try to get them to do the right thing. Is that how it works?
(04-24-2016, 09:46 PM)Smokin Wrote:
(04-24-2016, 09:03 PM)chuck white Wrote: You report them to the bureau of automotive repair.

I didn't know there was a bureau of automotive repair. Thank you for that information. 
So I report them and they try to get them to do the right thing. Is that how it works?

I'm sure Oregon has one. I used California's once and the repair shop jumped.
chasing down an oil leak can be a real P.I.A. They may of had the best of intentions to fix it for original estimate, but they got it wrong, it happens. You can have oil leaking from all sorts of places, the valve cover, pan gasket, cam shaft seal, etc, or worst case scenario, your rear main seal, or any combo thereof. If for example it is the rear main, that could easily cost $800 to fix, probably more. If the car is older and leaking from all sorts of orifices it makes it even more challenging, and sometimes you just have to process of elimination work your way through what's leaking. You said you drove off a curb, is your car low to the ground? did you bottom out? if so you may even have a hole or crack in your oil pan, or definitely tweaked the hell out of it.

What have they replaced so far for the money you paid? Do you have the receipt? What is their guarantee or warranty? I would take it back and explain you still have a bad leak, ask them to check their repair in case of a faulty part, etc. And assuming their repair is sound, ask for an estimate to repair what they think the root cause leak is. Even if you do not want them to do any more work on your car, at least you have the information to take to an alternate shop, explain the situation to them and then you get their second opinion which may put your mind at ease with the first shop, or maybe confirm that they are not a reputable shop, and if that's the case, at least you can use word of mouth to warn folks to use them at their own risk.
First of all, welcome. Noticed you joined yesterday.

Sad fact: Sometimes bad things happen to good people. 

You said it took you four months to save the $300.00. Given that, I wonder if you have ANY other options ofther than owning a car? Just no getting around the fact that cars (trucks, etc) are not a one time expense...they tend to nickle and dime us as we go along.

Good luck. I hope you find a way to work this out. 

Again welcome, and we hope to see you here often.
So, smokin joined on 4/24 and hasn't been back since 4/25. Grand total of 3 posts. Kinda makes ya wonder what the point was.
(05-12-2016, 12:27 PM)GPnative Wrote: So, smokin joined on 4/24 and hasn't been back since 4/25. Grand total of 3 posts. Kinda makes ya wonder what the point was.

Looks to me like the point was to get advice.
I know of no Bureau of Automotive Affairs. You are on your own. Consumer protections are oh so 80's.
GOP don't like it...