The real cost of the Mail Tribune
I pay for the MT by the year.
But I don't get 365 papers for the price. 
They bill me before the year-long subscription ends.
Why?
They tell me it's because of their "special editions".
And  each "Special Editon" reduces the subscription by one week. Each "special edition"! Not kidding here. 
Like inserts? 
No. Just special reports included in the paper of interest to "the community"
Isn't that what a newspaper is suppossed to report? 
Well yeah, but these are "special editions"you see...
Around and around we go. 

They got me. I need my paper. Craigslist is a great resource, but they killed my local newspaper. 

Hey Tia...Why not start a local newspaper. I'll subscribe. Just don't bill me for "special editions" 

Sad
Or you could join the 21st Century instead of longing for a return to the 19th. The battle you seek to refight was long ago won. And not in your favor.
(06-30-2016, 03:01 PM)bbqboy Wrote: Or you could join the 21st Century instead of longing for a return to the 19th. The battle you seek to refight was long ago won. And not in your favor.

How so?
I read a lot of stuff online but LOCAL news is hard to come by without MT.
I still get the paper. My wife likes to read it with her coffee and I read it later on the  throne.

I could live with out it. My wife uses the coupons quite a bit and I'm sure if offsets the cost, sometimes a LOT.
How so?
The only reason for locally printed "news" is the posting of legal notices.
(06-30-2016, 03:35 PM)bbqboy Wrote: How so?
The only reason for locally printed "news" is the posting of legal notices.
That simply is not true. Too many examples to bother with.
(06-30-2016, 02:46 PM)Wonky3 Wrote: They got me. I need my paper. Craigslist is a great resource, but they killed my local newspaper. 

I guess you mean because the paper barely gets anyone( private party) running ads to sell anything?

I think the Nickel killed that part of the MT's revenue and then Craigslist killed the Nickel.
(06-30-2016, 04:02 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(06-30-2016, 02:46 PM)Wonky3 Wrote: They got me. I need my paper. Craigslist is a great resource, but they killed my local newspaper. 

I guess you mean because the paper barely gets anyone( private party) running ads to sell anything?

I think the Nickel killed that part of the MT's revenue and then Craigslist killed the Nickel.
Could be, but the Nickle had been around a long time while the MT was still doing okay with the classifieds. (I think the Nickle is poorly organized). 
But, it's a down-home fact that newspapers all over the country are hurting due to the lack of classifieds. Time marches on. I don't think the replacement for the daily paper has yet been "invented" but suspect someting will pop up to fill the void. One thing for sure, Craigs List is great, and beats the classified's in the paper. 

(I susbscribe to the NYT online and they now run their own website (and APP) and it's improved a lot. It's 20 bucks a month, but I bite my lip and pay it. I'm hoping they will attract more ads and lower the price)
(06-30-2016, 03:22 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(06-30-2016, 03:01 PM)bbqboy Wrote: Or you could join the 21st Century instead of longing for a return to the 19th. The battle you seek to refight was long ago won. And not in your favor.

How so?

Rogue  Valley Messenger actually has some good stuff. http://www.roguevalleymessenger.com/
(06-30-2016, 05:52 PM)Juniper Wrote:

How so?

Rogue  Valley Messenger actually has some good stuff. http://www.roguevalleymessenger.com/
My nephew thanks you.
(06-30-2016, 11:09 PM)bbqboy Wrote:
(06-30-2016, 05:52 PM)Juniper Wrote:

How so?

My nephew thanks you.

They had a very well written article on Bear Creek recently.