Cops Shoot Another Unarmed Black Man
Wasn't sure where to put this... didn't want to start another "killer cops" thread... so here ya go!

People killed by police in the US - Interactive 

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/ng-in...-database#
(07-27-2016, 02:34 PM)Scrapper Wrote: Wasn't sure where to put this... didn't want to start another "killer cops" thread... so here ya go!

Statistics are good. But one of the problem with "only statistics" is that the "story" is never complete. 

We don't know the "Why" here. 

Granted, there are some bad cops who shoot people when they have other options. But, whle we know there are bad cops, we know for sure that most police are not "bad". Most police spend their entire career without ever firing their weapon. 

I think this is a valuable post, and can give us real and important information. That's a good thing (obviously)

But when we want the "Story" we very often have no choice but to fall back on "long form" reporting, by journalists who do "due diligence" and give us the COMPLETE picture that includes "why". 

Journalists at "The Guardian" often do just that. We can be thankful there are a few, at least, left.
(07-27-2016, 03:38 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(07-27-2016, 02:34 PM)Scrapper Wrote: Wasn't sure where to put this... didn't want to start another "killer cops" thread... so here ya go!

Statistics are good. But one of the problem with "only statistics" is that the "story" is never complete. 

We don't know the "Why" here. 

Granted, there are some bad cops who shoot people when they have other options. But, whle we know there are bad cops, we know for sure that most police are not "bad". Most police spend their entire career without ever firing their weapon. 

I think this is a valuable post, and can give us real and important information. That's a good thing (obviously)

But when we want the "Story" we very often have no choice but to fall back on "long form" reporting, by journalists who do "due diligence" and give us the COMPLETE picture that includes "why". 

Journalists at "The Guardian" often do just that. We can be thankful there are a few, at least, left.
Did you click each person? Try it.

Posted via Tapatalk
I just picked one and clicked it.... This is what it shows:

[Image: dc81a7500d35a220cb86de5378c798c8.jpg]

An explanation of what happened, as well as links to news stories.

Posted via Tapatalk
BTW, no one said that all people killed by cops are done so by bad cops. This is simply an interactive site that keeps track of people killed by cops... No matter how it happened.

Posted via Tapatalk
(07-27-2016, 03:48 PM)Scrapper Wrote: I just picked one and clicked it.... This is what it shows:

[Image: dc81a7500d35a220cb86de5378c798c8.jpg]

An explanation of what happened, as well as links to news stories.

Posted via Tapatalk
Holy cow!
No. I flat missed that!
"Asleep At The Wheel" is not just a girl rock group.  Embarrassed Embarrassed 

Yeah..kind of like the stuff I was "asking for". 

My defense: My meds and magazine haven't arrived from AARP.  Laughing 

So now, I'll go back and PAY ATTENTION it.
http://legalinsurrection.com/2016/07/sho...8-in-2016/

On the other hand....
(07-27-2016, 03:56 PM)Hugo Wrote: http://legalinsurrection.com/2016/07/sho...8-in-2016/

On the other hand....

Yes. There is that. Too many good cops shot on routine "domestic disturbance" and traffic stops. 

How much would you have to pay me to be a police officer? There ain't enough!

It's true we need to weed out the few bad ones, but we need to "Stand Behind" the good ones!
(07-27-2016, 04:28 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(07-27-2016, 03:56 PM)Hugo Wrote: http://legalinsurrection.com/2016/07/sho...8-in-2016/

On the other hand....

Yes. There is that. Too many good cops shot on routine "domestic disturbance" and traffic stops. 

It's true we need to weed out the few bad ones, but we need to "Stand Behind" the good ones!

Have you noticed, that it is not unarmed cops that are getting shot.
(07-27-2016, 09:29 PM)chuck white Wrote:
(07-27-2016, 04:28 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:

On the other hand....

Have you noticed, that it is not unarmed cops that are getting shot.

Say what?  Wink
Quote:officer was found guilty of voluntary manslaughter Thursday in the fatal shooting of an unarmed man accused of shoplifting at a Wal-Mart.
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/08/04/ex-...oting.html

Quote:Prosecutors said the officer, who is white, could have used non-deadly force, noting that every witness but Rankin testified Chapman, who was black, had his hands up.
Quote:South Florida police fatally gunned down a black man as he sat in his backyard eating dinner,

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/...39291.html
(09-14-2016, 01:36 AM)chuck white Wrote:
Quote:South Florida police fatally gunned down a black man as he sat in his backyard eating dinner,

If you are a black man or woman you need to seriously rethink calling the police over stuff like this. Many cops are arrogant pricks that will execute you on the spot if you show the slightest amount of disrespect or don't follow their orders, even if you are clearly unarmed and no threat to them. And that is a fact!

Responses from Wonky or TVguy not needed here. Thanks for your cooperation.
(09-14-2016, 07:55 AM)cletus1 Wrote:

If you are a black man or woman you need to seriously rethink calling the police over stuff like this. Many cops are arrogant pricks that will execute you on the spot if you show the slightest amount of disrespect or don't follow their orders, even if you are clearly unarmed and no threat to them. And that is a fact!

Now you KNOW one us just have to respond, Clete.  Rolling Eyes

Sad, anyway you look at. 

So many thing we don't know yet. 

We do know it was reported this poor man had recently been accused of some kind of "altercation" and the police were called. So, the cops were approaching someone who had recently been hostile and prompted a call for police intervention. 
When the cops arrived, they had to suspect this man was capable of being hostile, resistant, and that his behavior could be unknown and possibly dangerous. The cops could not know if the man was armed or not. 

Then it all starts to break down. Why, I wonder...although I have not had police training.. did not the police ask the man to simply put both hands, fingers interlaced, on top of his head rather than asking him to "get on the ground"? (A rather disrespectful position for anyone other than the most obvious bad guy). And to then shoot without being subjected to real physical danger (as far as we know). Seems strange, and poor policing. 

From what we know so far, sad. So yes Clete, I am sympathetic to your point of view. 

But this: With all the recent news stories, if you were a black man approched by police who told you to get on the ground, would you debate the thing risk dying or get on the ground and take the issue up later? I think I'd opt for getting on the ground to live anothe day. 

I doubt we know all the facts yet. But, if thiis anothe example of lousy policing, these cops should face the full fury of the justice system. 

Let's see what plays out. facts may emerge that reveal complete details.
(09-14-2016, 08:24 AM)Wonky3 Wrote:

Sad, anyway you look at. 

We do know it was reported this poor man had recently been accused of some kind of "altercation" and the police were called. So, the cops were approaching someone who had recently been hostile and prompted a call for police intervention. 
When the cops arrived, they had to suspect this man was capable of being hostile, resistant, and that his behavior could be unknown and possibly dangerous. The cops could not know if the man was armed or not. 

Then it all starts to break down. Why, I wonder...although I have not had police training.. did not the police ask the man to simply put both hands, fingers interlaced, on top of his head rather than asking him to "get on the ground"? (A rather disrespectful position for anyone other than the most obvious bad guy). And to then shoot without being subjected to real physical danger (as far as we know). Seems strange, and poor policing. 

From what we know so far, sad. So yes Clete, I am sympathetic to your point of view. 

But this: With all the recent news stories, if you were a black man approched by police who told you to get on the ground, would you debate the thing risk dying or get on the ground and take the issue up later? I think I'd opt for getting on the ground to live anothe day. 

I doubt we know all the facts yet. But, if thiis anothe example of lousy policing, these cops should face the full fury of the justice system. 

Oh, I knew you could not resist responding. 

I however, think ALL the important facts are in. Its rather simple: the cops tell the guy to get on the ground, the guy refuses and then the cops kill him. Nothing that comes out later will matter. It's only those minutes just before they shoot the unarmed man that matter. The man could be Satan's younger brother and it would not change a thing or matter one bit. 

Now the cops will probably come up with a story and pass off a work of fiction as fact. The racists will believe the cops and the courts might let the cops off, if they are even charged. All that is of course speculation based on past events like this. 

And white folks have the audacity to criticise the Black Lives Matter movement and wonder why it is growing. Ya think the cops executing black people might have something to do with it?
(09-14-2016, 08:47 AM)cletus1 Wrote:

Sad, anyway you look at. 

I however, think ALL the important facts are in. Its rather simple: the cops tell the guy to get on the ground, the guy refuses and then the cops kill him. Nothing that comes out later will matter. It's only those minutes just before they shoot the unarmed man that matter. The man could be Satan's younger brother and it would not change a thing or matter one bit. 

Now the cops will probably come up with a story and pass off a work of fiction as fact. The racists will believe the cops and the courts might let the cops off, if they are even charged. All that is of course speculation based on past events like this. 

And white folks have the audacity to criticise the Black Lives Matter movement and wonder why it is growing. Ya think the cops executing black people might have something to do with it?

Hey...easy.
This could be a discussion rather than a confrontation. 

All the facts are in? Maybe. So far, it looks like "the media" is reporting what a few people claim to have witnessed. More people could come out of the woodwork and we still have let these cops try to explain what they think happened. Investigative reporters have yet to weigh in. 

But I agree with your suggestion that far too many police seem to be guity of shooting first and asking questions later. We have many thoussands of police in the country and these relatively few isolated events would suggest that ALL cops are somehow guilty of bad or improper policing. No so. I think we have to keep some perspective here, and still hold the bad cops accountable and see the real issue of race as a factor in these events. 

And I will still maintain this poor black man that died did so at least partly from ignorance. If he has been seeing the news  he must know this is not a good time for black men to "argue" with cops. For god sake, follow the directions, however insulting, and live to argue it another day. 

The truth will "out". If the events prove to be as reported so far, these two cops are "dead meat".

Sad, anyway you look at. 

I however, think ALL the important facts are in.

Never mind what the police have to say about what happened. What you mean is all of what you want to believe are facts are in and it reinforces your bias toward cops so you know ALL ABOUT what happened from an obviously biased anti cop news report

It's amazing how Cletus is normally completely rational until it's something about cops and then he just can't get his prejudice to not rise to the top.

“I never would have called the cops if I’d known this was going to happen,” Ms Frazier told the New Times Broward-Palm Beach. “They just came in and started shooting right away.”

Bullshit,, they just came in and started shooting right away? That's funny , that not what the nephew said.....

Officers ordered Frazier to get on the ground, to which he responded, “Leave me alone,” according to his nephew Quartaze Woodard

The witnesses contradict each other.The man apparently had a knife. He was defiant and would not obey orders. And we haven't heard one single word from the police.
I hope to hell they have a video.There is DEFINITELY not enough information.
(09-14-2016, 09:35 AM)tvguy Wrote:
(09-14-2016, 07:55 AM)cletus1 Wrote: If you are a black man or woman you need to seriously rethink calling the police over stuff like this. Many cops are arrogant pricks that will execute you on the spot if you show the slightest amount of disrespect or don't follow their orders, even if you are clearly unarmed and no threat to them. And that is a fact!

Sad, anyway you look at. 

Never mind what the police have to say about what happened. What you mean is all of what you want to believe are facts are in and it reinforces your bias toward cops so you know ALL ABOUT what happened from an obviously biased anti cop news report

It's amazing how Cletus is normally completely rational until it's something about cops and then he just can't get his prejudice to not rise to the top.

“I never would have called the cops if I’d known this was going to happen,” Ms Frazier told the New Times Broward-Palm Beach. “They just came in and started shooting right away.”

Bullshit,, they just came in and started shooting right away? That's funny , that not what the nephew said.....

Officers ordered Frazier to get on the ground, to which he responded, “Leave me alone,” according to his nephew Quartaze Woodard

The witnesses contradict each other.The man apparently had a knife. He was defiant and would not obey orders. And we haven't heard one single word from the police.

I did a Google search using Florida cops kill unarmed black man. I was offered these choices: Florida cops kill unarmed black man in front yard and Florida cops kill unarmed black man in driveway and a few other hash tag choices. Yep nothing to see here folks.  

Here is another article from another source, but they are probably biased too.  Rolling Eyes 

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016...ry-frazier

Hey TVguy, I notice that you are normally completely rational until it's something about cops then you can't get rise above your bias to support the cops regardless of how egregious their actions are. Too bad really. 

More information will come of course and it will come from the police and you will drink it up like its nectar from the Gods. I will however remain suspicious of the police when I hear these kind of stories. 

Now for your therapy; I would like you to say "police lie and cover up their misbehavior often enough to require larger police departments to have internal affairs departments to investigate their own. And that tells me that the police misbehave more often than I would like to admit."   Big Grin

Actually I'd go so far as to say ANYONE needs to rethink calling the police over stuff like this.
(09-14-2016, 01:07 PM)cletus1 Wrote:
(09-14-2016, 09:35 AM)tvguy Wrote:
(09-14-2016, 07:55 AM)cletus1 Wrote: If you are a black man or woman you need to seriously rethink calling the police over stuff like this. Many cops are arrogant pricks that will execute you on the spot if you show the slightest amount of disrespect or don't follow their orders, even if you are clearly unarmed and no threat to them. And that is a fact!

Sad, anyway you look at. 

I did a Google search using Florida cops kill unarmed black man. I was offered these choices: Florida cops kill unarmed black man in front yard and Florida cops kill unarmed black man in driveway and a few other hash tag choices. Yep nothing to see here folks.  

Here is another article from another source, but they are probably biased too.  Rolling Eyes 

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016...ry-frazier

Hey TVguy, I notice that you are normally completely rational until it's something about cops then you can't get rise above your bias to support the cops regardless of how egregious their actions are. Too bad really. 

More information will come of course and it will come from the police and you will drink it up like its nectar from the Gods. I will however remain suspicious of the police when I hear these kind of stories. 

Now for your therapy; I would like you to say "police lie and cover up their misbehavior often enough to require larger police departments to have internal affairs departments to investigate their own. And that tells me that the police misbehave more often than I would like to admit."   Big Grin

Say what you want about who is biased and who isn't. I'm not the one here who has already judged and found the police to be guilty. I haven't said either way other than to point out it's not as black and whiter an you want it to be.

Yeah I looked and saw the article with the sensationalized headlines. If they really just shot the guy while he was eating then what is the other stuff about him with a knife and refusing to get on the ground? He was eating chicken wings. Do you use a knife to eat chicken wings??

The headline says he was "executed according to relatives" The medias CHOSE to go with that.
Just admit it for once,, you jumped the gun.