Buying a Lottery Ticket
I've lived in Oregon 25 years this time. Born in Oregon, I left for the wide wide world as a teen-ager and returned about 40 years later. Glad I did...good move. 

And I've NEVER bought a lottery ticket. A friend once told me a man would be a fool to not by one (someone has to win) and a fool to buy more than one (each month, or however often the thing renews) 

Then I read a thing about the money the schools get from the program. Hey, I don't thnk for a minute it's a perfect thing (nothing is), but it occured to me that I should buy a ticket to help support the schools. It's kind of like a voluntary tax, but don't hurt as much because no matter the odds, I COULD win. And, I have the fun of checking my numbers each time it comes around. 

What do you think? 

Lottery Funds Distribution 2013-2015: 
  • Public education (57 percent) - Lottery dollars are distributed into four areas within education: the Education Stability Fund, the State School Fund, colleges and universities and bonds. Lottery funds allocated to public education are administered by the Department of Education and Oregon University Systems. 

• Economic development/job creation (27 percent) - Lottery funds are allocated for job creation and economic development, providing assistance for a variety of Oregon’s industries such as: manufacturing, high-tech, agriculture, fisheries, solar, medical, tourism, as well as small businesses. Business Oregon administers these funds and programs.

• State parks & natural resources (15 percent) - Lottery funds allocated to state parks and natural resources are administered through the Parks and Natural Resources Fund and divided equally between state parks (7.5%) and watershed enhancement/salmon restoration (7.5%). The Oregon Watershed Enhancement Board administers most of the funds for watershed enhancement and restoration.

• Problem gambling treatment (1 percent) - Lottery funds allocated for problem gambling treatment are administered by the Oregon Department of Human Services and are distributed to programs throughout the state.
Gambling doesn't interest me.
(07-24-2016, 05:45 AM)bbqboy Wrote: Gambling doesn't interest me.

Yep. That's why I've never bouught an Oregon lottery ticket. But, I think I may start buying one each "period" (how does that work?)
I'm going to consider it a "voluntary tax" to help pay for some state stuff and have the fun of checking my numbers each time. Hey, I COULD win! (And Willie Nelson might stop smoking dope).

PS: I you play poker once a week for a year and at the end of the year have won more than you have lost, are you gambling?
I almost won last time.
I only got a wrong number in six spots.
(07-24-2016, 08:30 AM)chuck white Wrote: I almost won last time.

Well there ya go! Almost a winner. (How many spots are there anyway?) 

But if you would have bought 300 tickets you would have lowerd your odds. 

Form a billion to one, to 896 million to one. 

So obviously, you should buy LOTS more tickets.

It's all about having a "system".
(07-24-2016, 12:00 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:

I have a system.
I pick last weeks winning numbers, because who knows, they could win again.
(07-24-2016, 01:15 PM)chuck white Wrote:
(07-24-2016, 12:00 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:

I have a system.
I pick last weeks winning numbers, because who knows, they could win again.
There you go! The important thing is to have a system. 
I have a system for washing my truck. I don't.