(08-20-2016, 02:50 PM)GPnative Wrote: 99.3

Do you trust your thermometer? I measure my digital against a red liquid thermometer. 

The digital thermometers on the banks in GP always seem to be a few degrees warmer than my car thermometer. 

104 at my house right now.
(08-20-2016, 03:08 PM)cletus1 Wrote:

Do you trust your thermometer? I measure my digital against a red liquid thermometer. 

The digital thermometers on the banks in GP always seem to be a few degrees warmer than my car thermometer. 

I do actually. I have 3, plus a non digital. There is one in particular that is always the most accurate compared to my non digital one so That is the one I read when I want accuracy. And its at 101.5 at the moment. Of course placement is important to.

My red liquid thermometer is always about one degree lower than my digital laser type.
The bank therms are all over the place.
I remember eating lunch with a fellow worker at a bank. I said... lets go across the street and eat at the other bank.
He said why? I said because look at the sign. It's 4 degrees cooler over there. Razz
(08-20-2016, 03:40 PM)GPnative Wrote:

I do actually. I have 3, plus a non digital. There is one in particular that is always the most accurate compared to my non digital one so That is the one I read when I want accuracy. And its at 101.5 at the moment. Of course placement is important to.

How do you know for sure that specific one is the accurate one?
105 to 106
[Image: 14100390_1044518035646630_45576544732416...e=5849425C]
(08-20-2016, 03:56 PM)tvguy Wrote:

Well it the grand scheme I dont I guess, I will just call it intuition. But how does anyone know if theirs is accurate, its not like we are NASA or noaa. Our satellite also has a local weather feature and I compare it to that. Which I might add is wayyyyy more accurate at forcasts than any of our local weather wannabes on TV.
I just checked, satellite says 104, my thermometer says 103.6 so that works for me.
I just looked, we're at 92° F
I bought one of those electronic indoor/outdoor things at BIG LOTS ...gives you the temp inside the house and has a sensor I hang on the side of the house for the outside temps. 

The inside temps have been 78-84 degrees.

The outside read at 3:00 PM was 62 degrees. I really don't think the thing is accurate. Just a hunch, but I'm pretty sure. 

Pisses me off big-time because I paid almost 6 bucks for the thing. Cash. US Money. 

Next time I'm going to get one at a garage sale so I know it will be better quality...if I can get it for under 10 bucks. 

'Cause it's SO important to know exactly how hot it is.  Wink
(08-20-2016, 06:15 PM)GPnative Wrote:

Well it the grand scheme I dont I guess, I will just call it intuition. But how does anyone know if theirs is accurate, its not like we are NASA or noaa. Our satellite also has a local weather feature and I compare it to that. Which I might add is wayyyyy more accurate at forcasts than any of our local weather wannabes on TV.

When I bought my laser style thermometer with the digital readout I wanted to know how accurate it was if if I could re calibrate it.
I found out a good way to measure the temp of a glass of water full of crushed ice and that should be exactly 32 degrees.
I'm sure that would work just fine to check a liquid filled thermo but it doesn't work on my laser type because of reflections.

Anyway the obvious other method is to compare your thermo with another you know is accurate.
(08-20-2016, 07:54 PM)Wonky3 Wrote: I bought one of those electronic indoor/outdoor things at BIG LOTS ...gives you the temp inside the house and has a sensor I hang on the side of the house for the outside temps. 

The inside temps have been 78-84 degrees.

The outside read at 3:00 PM was 62 degrees. I really don't think the thing is accurate. Just a hunch, but I'm pretty sure. 

Pisses me off big-time because I paid almost 6 bucks for the thing. Cash. US Money. 

Next time I'm going to get one at a garage sale so I know it will be better quality...if I can get it for under 10 bucks. 

'Cause it's SO important to know exactly how hot it is.  Wink

Well OK it's not that important but I would still
throw that hunk of junk you have away.
(08-20-2016, 08:38 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(08-20-2016, 03:08 PM)cletus1 Wrote: Do you trust your thermometer? I measure my digital against a red liquid thermometer. 

When I bought my laser style thermometer with the digital readout I wanted to know how accurate it was if if I could re calibrate it.
I found out a good way to measure the temp of a glass of water full of crushed ice and that should be exactly 32 degrees.
I'm sure that would work just fine to check a liquid filled thermo but it doesn't work on my laser type because of reflections.

Anyway the obvious other method is to compare your thermo with another you know is accurate.

be sure to keep the water stirred up,
most electronic temperature sensors {not the laser on) are ± 1° F
the more expensive sensor elements are ± 0.2 °F

The laser ones depend a lot on the oblect being measured.
a white object or black object will measure differently.
(08-21-2016, 05:45 AM)chuck white Wrote:
(08-20-2016, 03:40 PM)GPnative Wrote: I do actually. I have 3, plus a non digital. There is one in particular that is always the most accurate compared to my non digital one so That is the one I read when I want accuracy. And its at 101.5 at the moment. Of course placement is important to.

Thanks but I know all that because I googled it. I'm pretty satisfied that my laser thermo is 1 degree high.
(08-21-2016, 01:10 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(08-20-2016, 03:56 PM)tvguy Wrote: How do you know for sure that specific one is the accurate one?

Thanks but I know all that because I googled it. I'm pretty satisfied that my laser thermo is 1 degree high.
Can you set the emissivity setting?
Also The laser pointer is about 1" higher then than the sensor. So there is a offset with the laser pointer at close range.
(08-21-2016, 02:28 PM)chuck white Wrote:
(08-21-2016, 01:10 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(08-20-2016, 06:15 PM)GPnative Wrote: Well it the grand scheme I dont I guess, I will just call it intuition. But how does anyone know if theirs is accurate, its not like we are NASA or noaa. Our satellite also has a local weather feature and I compare it to that. Which I might add is wayyyyy more accurate at forcasts than any of our local weather wannabes on TV.

Can you set the emissivity setting?
Also The laser pointer is about 1" higher then than the sensor. So there is a offset with the laser pointer at close range.

I'm sure I could set the thing. If I cared enough. Like I said it's one degree high so I can do the math fairly easily to determine the actual temperature. Razz
Ahhh..... 63.5. What a difference a day makes.  Big Grin