One year from now, 8-21-17
(08-22-2016, 02:51 PM)cletus1 Wrote:
(08-22-2016, 02:47 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(08-22-2016, 02:34 PM)Juniper Wrote: I guess I just don't get it.  That's damn close.  Getting a hotel under the path seems superfluous to me. I can see a campground...maybe.  But we just had an eclipse 5 years ago and it was perfectly viewable right here.

Well you don't get it because you won't read the link LOL. This coming eclipse is a total eclipse it not like what you saw 5 years ago.

And the path of totality as shown on the map will not hit Medford, hence the reason to travel.

Trying to find a hotel that will let you book that far in advance. No luck yet but I will keep at it. And I am not joking. Lincoln City would be a great place to see the eclipse.

You could rent a motor home and make make a reservation for somewhere to park.
(08-22-2016, 03:09 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(08-22-2016, 02:51 PM)cletus1 Wrote:
(08-22-2016, 02:34 PM)Juniper Wrote: I guess I just don't get it.  That's damn close.  Getting a hotel under the path seems superfluous to me. I can see a campground...maybe.  But we just had an eclipse 5 years ago and it was perfectly viewable right here.

Well you don't get it because you won't read the link LOL. This coming eclipse is a total eclipse it not like what you saw 5 years ago.

And the path of totality as shown on the map will not hit Medford, hence the reason to travel.

Trying to find a hotel that will let you book that far in advance. No luck yet but I will keep at it. And I am not joking. Lincoln City would be a great place to see the eclipse.

You could rent a motor home and make make a reservation for somewhere to park.

True. If hotels are all booked, I could rent up North a little and drive to Lincon City for the sky concert.
Hell you could drive up there watch it and drive back, why stay at a hotel?
(08-22-2016, 05:11 PM)chuck white Wrote: Hell you could drive up there watch it and drive back, why stay at a hotel?

I have my reasons and the number one reason is to get the hell out of town. Who wants to drive that far and back in a day? Not me.
(08-22-2016, 05:53 PM)cletus1 Wrote:
(08-22-2016, 05:11 PM)chuck white Wrote: Hell you could drive up there watch it and drive back, why stay at a hotel?

I have my reasons and the number one reason is to get the hell out of town. Who wants to drive that far and back in a day? Not me.

Well, if you drive up, you have to drive back.  so there no time saved if you stay over night.

Just the cost of a room is enough for me to drive three hours.
(08-22-2016, 06:21 PM)chuck white Wrote:

Well, if you drive up, you have to drive back.  so there no time saved if you stay over night.

Brooking is closer and I've never considered going there and NOT staying over. Besides I would definitely be partying , drinking and maybe smoking the weed while waiting for God to turn the lights off.
(08-22-2016, 03:07 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(08-22-2016, 02:49 PM)Juniper Wrote:

It's going to be good enough, don't you think?

Not really. I mean I probably won't travel to see it but what we will see here won't amount to anything compared to 2 minutes of total darkness at Depot bay or Salem.

I suppose. But the last one was impressive to look at. I won't be making the trip unless I get pulled into something. My son lives in Eugene.
(08-22-2016, 06:28 PM)tvguy Wrote:

Brooking is closer and I've never considered going there and NOT staying over. Besides I would definitely be partying , drinking and maybe smoking the weed while waiting God to turn the lights off.

I make day trips to Brookings.
(08-22-2016, 07:41 PM)Juniper Wrote:

Brooking is closer and I've never considered going there and NOT staying over. Besides I would definitely be partying , drinking and maybe smoking the weed while waiting God to turn the lights off.

plus what you go for (the beach) will still be there the next day....The eclipse, once it's over time to go home.
But definitely, if you be drinking, please stay.

Cool when are we going LOL. What do you do over there, Beach comb?  I've thought about going for a day. You can make it in  2 1/2 hours.
Now that I think about it I don't know why I don't do any day trips.
The next total solar eclipse in reasonable driving distance from here will be in 2045. I don't think I'll be around for that one so I want to see this one.

The visual difference between a partial and total eclipse are not really comparable. They are two completely different experiences. Of course that's just my opinion.

edit to add;  Begins on the Oregon coast about 10:16 and passes beyond Oregon at about 10:25. Times not exact, time for totality to cross the state is about 9 minutes.
(08-22-2016, 08:44 PM)Cuzz Wrote: The next total solar eclipse in reasonable driving distance from here will be in 2045. I don't think I'll be around for that one so I want to see this one.

The visual difference between a partial and total eclipse are not really comparable. They are two completely different experiences. Of course that's just my opinion.

That's pretty everyone's opinion who I've heard(read) talking about Eclipses.

It think it would be Totally Wink far out man
(08-22-2016, 08:46 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(08-22-2016, 08:44 PM)Cuzz Wrote: The next total solar eclipse in reasonable driving distance from here will be in 2045. I don't think I'll be around for that one so I want to see this one.

It think it would be Totally Wink  far out man

The Fundies might think it's the end of the world, so no telling what they'll do. Might want to pack some protection, just in case.   Big Grin
(08-22-2016, 09:01 PM)Cuzz Wrote:
(08-22-2016, 08:46 PM)tvguy Wrote:

It think it would be Totally Wink  far out man

The Fundies might think it's the end of the world, so no telling what they'll do. Might want to pack some protection, just in case.   Big Grin

Imagine being clueless about this eclipse, you're outside messing around and..........
(08-22-2016, 08:43 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(08-22-2016, 05:53 PM)cletus1 Wrote: I have my reasons and the number one reason is to get the hell out of town. Who wants to drive that far and back in a day? Not me.

Cool when are we going LOL. What do you do over there, Beach comb?  I've thought about going for a day. You can make it in  2 1/2 hours.

Well....what do YOU do over there? Stay in a hotel and that's it?  Of course I beach comb. Sometimes just sit on the sand and look at the waves. What do you do?
(08-23-2016, 08:36 AM)Juniper Wrote:
(08-22-2016, 06:21 PM)chuck white Wrote: Well, if you drive up, you have to drive back.  so there no time saved if you stay over night.

Well....what do YOU do over there? Stay in a hotel and that's it?  Of course I beach comb. Sometimes just sit on the sand and look at the waves. What do you do?

If I am in Newport, I put a couple of crab rings in the bay tied to the railing at public dock then go wandering around. I will visit Nye Beach and find a beach bar/restaurant I like and hang out for a while.    I might visit Reedsport on the way back and get some Winchester Bay oysters. 

Brookings has much less to offer for me so I don't go there often.
(08-22-2016, 06:21 PM)chuck white Wrote: Well, if you drive up, you have to drive back.  so there no time saved if you stay over night.

I always go crabbing off docks or take a boat out on the ocean. Which is pretty much why I've never made it a day trip. See there is more to do than sit and watch Wink
I just like sittin' in the morning sun
I'll be sittin' when the evenin' comes
I'll be watchin' the ships roll in, then i'll watch them roll away again.
Yup, Just sittin' on the dock of the bay, wastin' time.
[Image: 1a08ff781e7209981d25ab4236057ec0.jpg]
(08-23-2016, 12:38 PM)GPnative Wrote: I just like sittin' in the morning sun
I'll be sittin' when the evenin' comes
I'll be watchin' the ships roll in, then i'll watch them roll away again.
Yup, Just sittin' on the dock of the bay, wastin' time.
(08-23-2016, 12:32 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(08-22-2016, 06:28 PM)tvguy Wrote: Brooking is closer and I've never considered going there and NOT staying over. Besides I would definitely be partying , drinking and maybe smoking the weed while waiting God to turn the lights off.

I always go crabbing off docks or take a boat out on the ocean. Which is pretty much why I've never made it a day trip. See there is more to do than sit and watch Wink

Yeah....I never crab.