Colin Kaepernick Sat During National Anthem
 Yoo-hoo. Flag boy where are you? This story might bring him out. Does anyone want to voice an opinion? 

SANTA CLARA, Calif. -- San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick sat during the national anthem in each of the team's three preseason games and said he plans to continue to do so until he sees real change when it comes to racial oppression in the United States.

"Yes, I'll continue to sit," Kaepernick said. "I'm going to continue to stand with the people that are being oppressed. To me this is something that has to change. When there's significant change and I feel like that flag represents what it's supposed to represent, this country is representing people the way that it's supposed to, I'll stand."
(08-29-2016, 07:45 AM)cletus1 Wrote:  Yoo-hoo. Flag boy where are you? This story might bring him out. Does anyone want to voice an opinion? 

SANTA CLARA, Calif. -- San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick sat during the national anthem in each of the team's three preseason games and said he plans to continue to do so until he sees real change when it comes to racial oppression in the United States.

"Yes, I'll continue to sit," Kaepernick said. "I'm going to continue to stand with the people that are being oppressed. To me this is something that has to change. When there's significant change and I feel like that flag represents what it's supposed to represent, this country is representing people the way that it's supposed to, I'll stand."
Is this a great country, or what! 

Sit if you want Kaepernick. You live in a country that gives you the freedom to do just that. You can even burn it should you want to do that...legally. That's the real freedom this flag represents! 

Our flag is, after all, only a symbol of our historical achievement in the founding of a demoncracy independent of a monarch who we had to fight twice to ensure our right to govern ourselves. 

That said, ths symbol has been defended with the blood of the many who responded to the need to defend our shores from fascists and threats of imperialism. Hitler and Tojo were not just bad jokes. 

So, I'd suggest Mr. Kaepenick that you do more than this easy and simple gesture if you feel so strongly, and stop playing a boys game for big bucks and go out into the places in our country where you feel you might make a differnce and work "in the fields of the Lord". 

Talk is cheap. Your "demonstration" proves how shallow and ignorant you are. 

And still...your have to right to not stand and honor this symbol so many of us revere. 

Again...is this a great country, or what!
The NY Giants sent a pretty clear message to that POS Kaepernick yesterday

[Image: Cq5zCUXXEAAfiP3.jpg]
Kaepernick being oppressed by a white man....

[Image: PI-NFL-Matthews-Clay-Kaepernick-100415.v...igh.64.jpg]
It must be tough being oppressed....

[Image: COLIN_WIDE_CAR-1.jpg]
Here's a NFL players that gets it

[Image: 18rifdp52z0yajpg.jpg]

Glen Coffee's single year as a 49er may qualify as one of the strangest NFL careers. The summer after a promising 2009 rookie year, in which the third-round pick out of Alabama filled in nicely  Frank Gore, Coffee up and quit. God didn't want him to play football, he said in brief and guarded interviews. There's more to life than the pursuit of money.

Later today, Coffee will graduate from the army's Airborne School at Fort Benning, Ga. He says he doesn't miss the NFL, and that serving in the military is a much better use of his gifts than playing professional football.
(08-29-2016, 07:45 AM)cletus1 Wrote:  Yoo-hoo. Flag boy where are you? This story might bring him out. Does anyone want to voice an opinion? 

Who's flag boy? Kaepernick is a fool. I hope he invests his money wisely because I predict a drought in that department.
I could give a shit.
This is like the closed fist in black glove at the Olympics some 50 years ago. Who cares if he refuses to stand. I'm in tune with corporations. No allegiance to anything but money..Corporate citizens of the world.
(08-29-2016, 08:14 AM)Wonky3 Wrote:

Sit if you want Kaepernick. You live in a country that gives you the freedom to do just that. You can even burn it should you want to do that...legally. That's the real freedom this flag represents! 

Our flag is, after all, only a symbol of our historical achievement in the founding of a demoncracy independent of a monarch who we had to fight twice to ensure our right to govern ourselves. 

That said, ths symbol has been defended with the blood of the many who responded to the need to defend our shores from fascists and threats of imperialism. Hitler and Tojo were not just bad jokes. 

So, I'd suggest Mr. Kaepenick that you do more than this easy and simple gesture if you feel so strongly, and stop playing a boys game for big bucks and go out into the places in our country where you feel you might make a differnce and work "in the fields of the Lord". 

And still...your have to right to not stand and honor this symbol so many of us revere. 

You tried to sound open minded about the issue, but of course you are not. The highlighted part of your post says it all. And most open minded freedom loving Americans think just like you. Ha!

I just thought about the Jehovah Witnesses that don't pledge to the flag and wonder how lovers of religious freedom square that. 

Flag worship is ass backwards mutated kind of patriotism that I never understood.
(08-29-2016, 12:42 PM)tvguy Wrote:

Who's flag boy? Kaepernick is a fool. I hope he invests his money wisely because I predict a drought in that department.
Not you so don't worry about it.
(08-29-2016, 12:42 PM)tvguy Wrote: Who's flag boy? snip....

Big Grin 

[Image: larry1.jpg]
(08-29-2016, 02:58 PM)cletus1 Wrote:

And most open minded freedom loving Americans think just like you. Ha!" 

You tried to sound open minded about the issue, but of course you are not. The highlighted part of your post says it all. And most open minded freedom loving Americans think just like you. Ha!

I just thought about the Jehovah Witnesses that don't pledge to the flag and wonder how lovers of religious freedom square that. 

Flag worship is ass backwards mutated kind of patriotism that I never understood.
You posted above."You tried to sound open minded about the issue, but of course you are not. The highlighted part of your post says it all. And most open minded freedom loving Americans think just like you. Ha!"

You can't even imagine how offensive I find that! 

We don't WORSHIP the flag. (And that was clear in my post). 
We honor our history, our traditions, and those who fought and died to protect those things by respecting the SYMBOL our flag represents. 

I served my time in the military, saluted the flag, and always felt some pride in the symbol it represents. And I may have been doing that while you were enriching yourself with despicable actions and behavior having nothing to do with honor or tradition. 

So I hope you don't salute our flag. I think you may have given up the right to honor the traditions is represents, and I don't think you have the right to honor this symbol important to many of us. 

It's only a piece of cloth, but it's our flag, the symbol many of us honor and respect. Don't you dare suggest I was anything but sincere in my comments about it.
(08-29-2016, 05:59 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(08-29-2016, 02:58 PM)cletus1 Wrote:

And most open minded freedom loving Americans think just like you. Ha!" 

You posted above."You tried to sound open minded about the issue, but of course you are not. The highlighted part of your post says it all. And most open minded freedom loving Americans think just like you. Ha!"

You can't even imagine how offensive I find that! 

We don't WORSHIP the flag. (And that was clear in my post). 
We honor our history, our traditions, and those who fought and died to protect those things by respecting the SYMBOL our flag represents. 

I served my time in the military, saluted the flag, and always felt some pride in the symbol it represents. And I may have been doing that while you were enriching yourself with despicable actions and behavior having nothing to do with honor or tradition. 

So I hope you don't salute our flag. I think you may have given up the right to honor the traditions is represents, and I don't think you have the right to honor this symbol important to many of us

It's only a piece of cloth, but it's our flag, the symbol many of us honor and respect. Don't you dare suggest I was anything but sincere in my comments about it.

No one was suggesting you were insincere about anything. You just make shit up to get huffy about don't you? 

You talk about tolerating differences of opinions, but you don't. I really would like to know if you can't see that you often come off like the criticizer that can't stand criticism. Do you know that you stoop to the the same level you tell other people to rise above?

Now for the part I highlighted: Who the hell are you to tell people what they have the right to honor or not? I think you have become a little psychotic in your never ending quest to be seen as a better man than most. Yep, you're becoming a crazy old man.
I read from sources some of may not.The following are some opinions of others that see the rigid ideas of outward patriotism relative to the flag as not all that cool. The religious and nonreligious communities seem to share some opinions about the American flag and the pledge to it. 

These kind of people should not be allowed to honor the flag in any way either.  Rolling Eyes Laughing 

From a Christian source: 

When patriotism becomes an idol, the poor can become our enemies, the alien among us can become someone to be feared and the outcast can become someone we actively seek to marginalize.

Relevant Magazine 

From a secular source: 

Discussions of efforts to amend the Constitution typically focus on the desire to ban burning the American flag, but current and past proposals have included criminalizing “physical desecration” of the American flag. Desecration is defined as violating the “sacredness” of something. Something is “sacred” when it is “holy” or “worthy of worship, religious veneration.” Thus, efforts to ban the desecration of the American flag are efforts to transform it into an object of religious worship.

And more:

Can anyone deny that the American flag has achieved the status of a graven image?

The contention that flag worship is blasphemy was a key element before the Supreme Court in 1940. In that case it upheld the right of a Pennsylvania school district to expel two students who refused to recite the Pledge of Allegiance. The two teenagers were members of the Jehovah's Witness denomination. Their church believed that pledging allegiance to the flag violated the Biblical admonition (Exodus 20) against worshipping or bowing down to any graven image of God. The court decided that the need for national security and national unity allowed Congress to force individuals to violate the Ten Commandments.

In 1943, the Supreme Court reversed its 1940 decision. That reversal probably had less to do with religion than with the Court's realization that, at the height of a war against totalitarian regimes, a central feature of which was a slavish devotion to national symbols, compelling us to worship the flag was inapt. (As a side note, that same year the Flag Code itself was changed. No longer were students required to salute the flag with one arm extended forward. The similarity to the Nazi salute was too embarrassing. From that time onwards, we were told to put our hands over our hearts.)

The evidence that we literally worship the flag is overwhelming. Unique among all nations, we have a Flag Day, a Flag code etiquette, a national anthem dedicated to the flag and a verbal salute to the flag. Twenty-seven states require school children to salute the flag daily.

Some might argue that we are simply saluting a symbol, that we are actually pledging allegiance to our country. But the words tell a different story. "I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of American, and to the republic for which it stands." The insertion of the word "and" makes clear that the flag and the republic are two different entities. We are pledging allegiance to the flag itself.
I'm going to keep posting these untill bed time. Lucky it's bedtime mofos. 

When you are held legally bound to "respect" the flag, then respecting the flag becomes..... meaningless.

Somebody famous should have said that.   Wink
[Image: 14089185_1106951486020394_37195597788770...e=58588EAB]
(08-29-2016, 08:37 PM)Cuzz Wrote: When you are held legally bound to "respect" the flag, then respecting the flag becomes..... meaningless.

Somebody famous should have said that.   Wink

Maybe you will become famous and then someone famous will have.
I can't sleep just yet. Wonky got me all jacked up. Well let's debate, you cantankerous old goat. 

The Tea Party Cult Of American Flag Worship

Thursday Sep 17, 2015 

Cross posted from my blog, The Liberal Brew.

I'm tired of the American flag.

Everywhere you look, there are American flags. On Cars, houses, pins, billboards and car dealerships. At Sporting events, marches and rallies. I challenge you to walk outside your front door right now and take a look around.  Go ahead, prove me wrong.

They're literally everywhere, aren't they? Like symbols of some totalitarian government

[Image: 1fcn4i.png]

regime. Or, if you're a Christian, a graven image, as described in the 2nd of the 10 Commandments.
Allow me to explain. I don't hate the American flag - or America. In fact, I rather like the looks of it. It's well designed and the colors red, white and blue go quite nicely together.

I do hate flag worship and the right-wing extremist anti-government hate group cult that his built up around it. Passionately, in fact.

I'm tired of the like the Tea Party 'patriot' movement's insistence that in order to be a 'real' American, you must clothe yourself in it like a religious patriotic burka.

[Image: jgigxg.png]

If you hate the American government and continually seek to disrupt its functions, you are not a patriotic American. No matter how many you American Flags you hang, wear or pledge allegiance to. You are anti-American. Period.

Those waving the American Flag along side the confederate flag at rallies, claiming to be protecting their 'cultural heritage', which consisted of slave ownership, insurrection and a declaration of war against the U.S. Government and the Constitution are not patriotic heroes. They are the descendants of traitors who committed treason.  Period.

[Image: rbcvg8.png]

Those politicians who continually deny U.S. Veterans and the September 11 First Responders the benefits they were promised and that they earned as campaign props, are not patriotic Americans. They are are a disgrace. Period.

Thankfully, President Obama isn't the socialist, fascist, or Sharia law loving Muslim dictator they say he is, or these people would have all 'disappeared' by now. As disgusting as I find the actions of these right-wing extremists to be, I am thankful that I live in a country that allows them to express them publicly, without fear of arrest.

I'd like to get back to the days before flag worship was a national obsession and when seeing the American Flag instilled a sense of real patriotism, pride and respect for American values. Like these ones do:

[Image: 30ht314.png]
Let's end this culture of American Flag worship. Instead of empty patriotic slogans designed to divide or win politicians votes, let's all begin practicing the values that make the American flag worthy of our respect, again.