First US Airline Flight to Cuba in 50 Years
If you want to go without applying for the government 12 reasons authorized trips just do it. No one is getting in trouble for going, and Americans are on the streets of Havana and other tourist cities right now.

Historic Flight From US Touches Down in Cuba
  • By JEFFREY COOK
  • SERENA MARSHALL

Aug 31, 2016, 10:59 AM ET

Joe Raedle/Getty Images

For the first time in more than 50 years, a scheduled commercial flight from the United States has landed in Cuba. JetBlue Flight 387 touched down in Santa Clara, Cuba, at around 11 a.m. after departing Ft. Lauderdale earlier this morning with 150 people on board.

While the flight was filled with mostly members of the media, airline executives and other VIPs, about 60 people were regular travelers, according to the airline.

The flight itself was a short hop, lasting only about 45 minutes, but the significance and fanfare surrounding it was substantial.

The flight departed Ft. Lauderdale to a water cannon salute, a long tradition in celebrating a ship's or aircraft's special occasion.

[/url]
[img=500x0]https://pbs.twimg.com/ext_tw_video_thumb/770984431758737408/pu/img/ZVSDsyaXfdK4ln0E.jpg[/img]

Quote:

And the water cannon salute for the inaugural commercial flight to Cuba. JetBlue 387 departing momentarily.

JetBlue said passengers would enjoy an in-flight bingo game and giveaways. JetBlue CEO [url=http://abcnews.go.com/topics/business/airlines/jetblue-airways.htm]Robin Hayes was also expected to give remarks on board.

A reception and remarks from dignitaries will greet the passengers when they deplane before JetBlue Flight 388 makes its return to the U.S.

What You Need to Know About Cuba Travel as Scheduled US Flights Begin

The pilots in charge of the first pair of flights between the countries are Captain Mark Luaces and First Officer Francisco Barreras.

Luaces, born in Miami, is the son of Cuban parents who came to the U.S. as teenagers. Barreras is also the son of two Cuban parents who came to the U.S. in 1961. His great-uncle was a general manager for Pan Am in Havana. Another family member was a pilot for the Castro family.

Six Airlines, Five US Cities Chosen for Regular Service to Cuba

Exclusive: Obama Begins Historic Visit in Cuba: 'Change Is Going to Happen'

American Airlines, the U.S.'s largest carrier, will fly to Cuba on Sept. 7.

Ten U.S.-based airlines that have now been approved for scheduled service to the island are Alaska Airlines, American Airlines, Delta Air LinesFrontier Airlines, JetBlue, Silver Airways, Southwest Airlines,Spirit Airlines, Sun Country and United Airlines.

This is a developing story. Please check back for updates.
Why would you want to go vacation in a country that oppresses it citizens?  In fact several hundred human rights protesters were arrested just last March prior to Obama's visit.  How dare they protest peacefully for human rights in Cuba?  Oh wait, I forgot you libs love despots like Castro, Che, Mao, and the like.  Nevermind.....
(08-31-2016, 03:25 PM)SFLiberal Wrote: Why would you want to go vacation in a country that oppresses it citizens?  In fact several hundred human rights protesters were arrested just last March prior to Obama's visit.  How dare they protest peacefully for human rights in Cuba?  Oh wait, I forgot you libs love despots like Castro, Che, Mao, and the like.  Nevermind.....
Damn! You do have a legitimate point. Way to go SFL! 

But, not quite that simple. Change takes time, and the more open that society becomes the harder it will be for the "brothers" and their jack-booted cops to keep people in line. 

Still, they remain under an iron fist and I wish them welll and hope they throw off the shackles of that "system" soon. Like tomorrow.
(08-31-2016, 03:25 PM)SFLiberal Wrote: Why would you want to go vacation in a country that oppresses it citizens?  In fact several hundred human rights protesters were arrested just last March prior to Obama's visit.  How dare they protest peacefully for human rights in Cuba?  Oh wait, I forgot you libs love despots like Castro, Che, Mao, and the like.  Nevermind.....

We are going to flood them with democracy one tourist at a time. They'll never expect it.   Cool
(08-31-2016, 05:30 PM)Cuzz Wrote:

We are going to flood them with democracy one tourist at a time. They'll never expect it.   Cool

Yep. We will Americanize the hell out of them. They will want less government control and more capitalism for the masses.
(08-31-2016, 09:38 PM)cletus1 Wrote:

Yep. We will Americanize the hell out of them. They will want less government control and more capitalism for the masses.
You bet!
But while they may WANT less government control, it's going to take a shake-up that will rattle the Caribbean to wrestle control from the Castro Brothers. 
And while we want capitalism to flourish, we don't want another Batista running the place. WAY too much "capitalism". 

Good luck to them. (And we will take all the baseball players they can send!)
50 years, has it been that long since somebody high jacked a plane to Cuba?
(08-31-2016, 10:50 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:

You bet!
But while they may WANT less government control, it's going to take a shake-up that will rattle the Caribbean to wrestle control from the Castro Brothers. 
And while we want capitalism to flourish, we don't want another Batista running the place. WAY too much "capitalism". 

I have no idea how things will go once the Americans start visiting Cuba. Progress toward a more open society might be slow, but a 50 year trade embargo and travel restrictions have accomplished nothing. I for one believe there is nothing more dangerous to a closed society than allowing free people to mix with the people and show them what it is like to live free. 

Other people that travel the world regularly think things will change quickly. Thousands of tourists will have an affect on the Cuban people like nothing they have experienced since the Americans left the Island. Anthony Bourdain predicts the Cuban government wont be able to stop the move toward an open society. We will see soon enough.
(09-01-2016, 07:53 AM)cletus1 Wrote:

You bet!

I have no idea how things will go once the Americans start visiting Cuba. Progress toward a more open society might be slow, but a 50 year trade embargo and travel restrictions have accomplished nothing. I for one believe there is nothing more dangerous to a closed society than allowing free people to mix with the people and show them what it is like to live free. 

Other people that travel the world regularly think things will change quickly. Thousands of tourists will have an affect on the Cuban people like nothing they have experienced since the Americans left the Island. Anthony Bourdain predicts the Cuban government wont be able to stop the move toward an open society. We will see soon enough.

Could be. Hope so. 
But I'm curious why Bourdian's views are important here.
From Wiki:

Anthony Michael Bourdain (born June 25, 1956) is an American chef, author, and television personality. He is a 1978 graduate of The Culinary Institute of America and a veteran of numerous professional kitchens, including many years as executive chef at Brasserie Les Halles

And free Canadians have been running around the island for years without forcing the Castro Brothers to loosen their grip on the population. 
Still, we can hope, and as you point out a flood of folks from the U.S. is bound to force some changes...we just seem to do that kind of stuff. 

The good folks there deserve a break. Hope they get it sooner than later.
Not just Canadians. I think the US was the only country restricting (not banning) travel to Cuba.
(09-01-2016, 08:20 AM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(08-31-2016, 05:30 PM)Cuzz Wrote: We are going to flood them with democracy one tourist at a time. They'll never expect it.   Cool

You bet!

Could be. Hope so. 

From Wiki:

Anthony Michael Bourdain (born June 25, 1956) is an American chef, author, and television personality. He is a 1978 graduate of The Culinary Institute of America and a veteran of numerous professional kitchens, including many years as executive chef at Brasserie Les Halles

And free Canadians have been running around the island for years without forcing the Castro Brothers to loosen their grip on the population. 
Still, we can hope, and as you point out a flood of folks from the U.S. is bound to force some changes...we just seem to do that kind of stuff. 

Why are your views important, or mine? Do the views of politicians matter more? Which politicians views would matter? 

Anthony Bourdain is a world traveler. He has been to Vietnam, Myanmar, China and many countries that have difficult pasts. He mixes with the people, and on a personal level his views on social change seem insightful to me.

I am not suggesting Americans are going to have any affect on the Castro brothers. I am suggesting the Cuban people will be exposed the ideas and life styles of more and more tourists and want some of what the tourists have. 

I don't give a shit about the Castro brothers. I am not looking at Cuba only through the prism of their communist government.
(09-01-2016, 09:26 AM)Valuesize Wrote: Not just Canadians. I think the US was the only country restricting (not banning) travel to Cuba.

Restricting? Yes, but to the point where only very few could go there. So the practical affect was a ban at least for most of us.
(09-01-2016, 09:44 AM)cletus1 Wrote:
(09-01-2016, 09:26 AM)Valuesize Wrote: Not just Canadians. I think the US was the only country restricting (not banning) travel to Cuba.

Restricting? Yes, but to the point where only very few could go there. So the practical affect was a ban at least for most of us.

Big Grin

[Image: nithead.jpg]

Just fucking around....  Razz
(09-01-2016, 10:16 AM)Valuesize Wrote:

Big Grin

Oh yeah, well you pointed out ban vs. restrict, so who is laying those teeny weeny eggs?   Big Grin
(09-01-2016, 10:39 AM)cletus1 Wrote:

Big Grin

Oh yeah, well you pointed out ban vs. restrict, so who is laying those teeny weeny eggs?   Big Grin

Funny the pic looks kinda familiar.
(09-01-2016, 10:53 AM)Valuesize Wrote:
(09-01-2016, 10:39 AM)cletus1 Wrote:

Big Grin

Funny the pic looks kinda familiar.
Close up of Trump's hair?? Rolling Eyes
(09-01-2016, 07:53 AM)cletus1 Wrote: I have no idea how things will go once the Americans start visiting Cuba. Progress toward a more open society might be slow, but a 50 year trade embargo and travel restrictions have accomplished nothing. I for one believe there is nothing more dangerous to a closed society than allowing free people to mix with the people and show them what it is like to live free. 

Could be. Hope so. 
From Wiki:

I don't know how you can say that with any certainty. Look where they are today. Who's to say they didn't have an effect.
(09-01-2016, 09:36 AM)cletus1 Wrote:
(08-31-2016, 09:38 PM)cletus1 Wrote: Yep. We will Americanize the hell out of them. They will want less government control and more capitalism for the masses.
You bet!

Could be. Hope so. 

From Wiki:

Why are your views important, or mine? Do the views of politicians matter more? Which politicians views would matter? 

Anthony Bourdain is a world traveler. He has been to Vietnam, Myanmar, China and many countries that have difficult pasts. He mixes with the people, and on a personal level his views on social change seem insightful to me.

I am not suggesting Americans are going to have any affect on the Castro brothers. I am suggesting the Cuban people will be exposed the ideas and life styles of more and more tourists and want some of what the tourists have. 

I don't give a shit about the Castro brothers. I am not looking at Cuba only through the prism of their communist government.
Cletus....Why are your views important, or mine? Do the views of politicians matter more? Which politicians views would matter?

Cletus...Anthony Bourdain is a world traveler. He has been to Vietnam, Myanmar, China and many countries that have difficult pasts. He mixes with the people, and on a personal level his views on social change seem insightful to me.

This is familiar. I once posted something or quoted something about Mike Rowe and I got exactly the same response form Wonky.

I was about blue collar jobs in America. Mick Rowe (host of "dirty jobs") traveled our country and talked to hundreds of small business owners. IMO that gave him great insight in to jobs and small businesses Just like Anthony Bourdain
Has a great insight in to social issues in all of the countries he constantly visits.
Once I explained this Wonky understood Smiling
(09-01-2016, 05:55 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(09-01-2016, 09:36 AM)cletus1 Wrote:
(08-31-2016, 10:50 PM)Wonky3 Wrote: You bet!

Could be. Hope so. 

From Wiki:

Cletus....Why are your views important, or mine? Do the views of politicians matter more? Which politicians views would matter?

Cletus...Anthony Bourdain is a world traveler. He has been to Vietnam, Myanmar, China and many countries that have difficult pasts. He mixes with the people, and on a personal level his views on social change seem insightful to me.

This is familiar. I once posted something or quoted something about Mike Rowe and I got exactly the same response form Wonky.

I was about blue collar jobs in America. Mick Rowe (host of "dirty jobs") traveled our country and talked to hundreds of small business owners. IMO that gave him great insight in to jobs and small businesses Just like Anthony Bourdain
Has a great insight in to social issues in all of the countries he constantly visits.
Once I explained this Wonky understood Smiling

Whatever.  Wink