First Storm - Bring on the Rain
I battened down the hatches yesterday. Cleaned up the last of the summer odd N ends around the house that I don't want left out all winter. Covered everything that needs to be covered, chopped weeks worth of kindling, filled the wood box. Gutters are clean, although I procrastinated all summer on relocating a downspout, of course now it's too late before the storm hits and I really wish I would of done it during those nice summer days, oh well. 

I don't put much faith in the local meteorologists, any of them from the millennial generation are not really meteorologists, they are computer model weather readers. But we can certainly assume lots of rain is coming with this storm, not sure I trust some of the #'s being floated around, but it's going to be a wet one no matter what.

There is always something about the first storm of the year that I enjoy, I like hunkering down all nice and cozy in the house after the summer work and heat is done.

Enjoy the storm....that is all

From KAJO.com:

Pineapple Express and Remnants of Monsoon Will Bring Heavy Rain to Region
A Pineapple Express weather pattern tapping into the remnants of a tropical monsoon will bring the first big weather event of the season to our region this weekend.

In a Hydrologic Outlook issued late yesterday, the National Weather Service is calling for heavy rains, strong winds and significant rises on local rivers and streams.

Weather experts say a series of storms will move through the region beginning Thursday as a strong jet stream stretching across the Pacific Ocean will bring a steady stream of moisture into the Pacific Northwest – including southwest Oregon.

The heaviest rainfall will be with the storm on Saturday as the remnants of Typhoon Songda are pulled into the jet stream. Rainfall amounts of up to 13 inches are expected on the Southern Oregon coast and from three to six inches of rain are expected in the western valleys from Thursday through Monday.

While mainstem rivers like the Rogue will experience significant rises due to these storms, they are not expected to flood. However, small streams and urban areas in the region could experience high water or flooding where there is poor drainage.

The exact scenario for flooding and high water remains uncertain. Watches and warnings may be issued by the National Weather Service if the situation worsens.
Posted by Sam Marsh 10/12/16 7:02AM
Looks like you folks may get hit harder than we will up here.

http://www.ssec.wisc.edu/data/geo/index....thod=flash

I use the "Thunderstorm Color Curve" from the drop-down in the upper right.
(10-13-2016, 08:04 AM)Valuesize Wrote: Looks like you folks may get hit harder than we will up here.

Nice image
(10-13-2016, 08:18 AM)GPnative Wrote:
(10-13-2016, 08:04 AM)Valuesize Wrote: Looks like you folks may get hit harder than we will up here.

Nice image

Play around with it, you can see pretty much the whole planet.
The Beta version is cool too.

http://www.ssec.wisc.edu/data/geo-new/#/...uality=gif
Quote:Are you ready?
Do you have flashlights, batteries, water, extra food, blankets, charged phone/do you have a car charger for your phone to use if power goes out? Wood/kindling/paper/matches/lighter if you have wood stove or fireplace? Do you have extra food/water/safe shelter for your animals? Make sure any fencing is secure to keep pets enclosed and safe. Are your gutters and storm drains clear of debris? Have you secured garbage cans, lawn furniture, anything that can fly around? Looked at any heavy tree limbs that may break off and cause damage? Do you know how to manually open your garage door if you have an opener and we lose power? If you have elderly neighbors please check on them and make sure they are prepared for this storm. If you're traveling make sure you have a flashlight, flares, blankets, water, food, a full tank of gas and fluid in your windshield wiper reservoir and good wipers. 
Be safe, if you come across a road closed-high water sign...DO NOT go through it. Drive with your lights on at all times, go slow, be patient. STAY OFF your phone when driving.
Yes, mom.   Dry
(10-13-2016, 09:32 AM)Cuzz Wrote: Yes, mom.   Dry

Laughing

Funny thing... I sent this in an email to my parents in G.P. hoping it will help them be prepared.  I guess it's true that at some point the kids kind of become the parents.  And I can't tell you how many times I've said something and then though.... "OMG!  That sounded just like my Mom!"  Big Grin
(10-13-2016, 09:13 AM)Scrapper Wrote:
Quote:Are you ready?
Do you have flashlights, batteries, water, extra food, blankets, charged phone/do you have a car charger for your phone to use if power goes out? Wood/kindling/paper/matches/lighter if you have wood stove or fireplace? Do you have extra food/water/safe shelter for your animals? Make sure any fencing is secure to keep pets enclosed and safe. Are your gutters and storm drains clear of debris? Have you secured garbage cans, lawn furniture, anything that can fly around? Looked at any heavy tree limbs that may break off and cause damage? Do you know how to manually open your garage door if you have an opener and we lose power? If you have elderly neighbors please check on them and make sure they are prepared for this storm. If you're traveling make sure you have a flashlight, flares, blankets, water, food, a full tank of gas and fluid in your windshield wiper reservoir and good wipers. 
Be safe, if you come across a road closed-high water sign...DO NOT go through it. Drive with your lights on at all times, go slow, be patient. STAY OFF your phone when driving.

Am I ready...Hell Yea I'm ready!

(10-13-2016, 07:38 AM)GPnative Wrote: I battened down the hatches yesterday. Cleaned up the last of the summer odd N ends around the house that I don't want left out all winter. Covered everything that needs to be covered, chopped weeks worth of kindling, filled the wood box. Gutters are clean, although I procrastinated all summer on relocating a downspout, of course now it's too late before the storm hits and I really wish I would of done it during those nice summer days, oh well. 

I don't put much faith in the local meteorologists, any of them from the millennial generation are not really meteorologists, they are computer model weather readers. But we can certainly assume lots of rain is coming with this storm, not sure I trust some of the #'s being floated around, but it's going to be a wet one no matter what.

There is always something about the first storm of the year that I enjoy, I like hunkering down all nice and cozy in the house after the summer work and heat is done.

Enjoy the storm....that is all

From KAJO.com:

Pineapple Express and Remnants of Monsoon Will Bring Heavy Rain to Region
A Pineapple Express weather pattern tapping into the remnants of a tropical monsoon will bring the first big weather event of the season to our region this weekend.

In a Hydrologic Outlook issued late yesterday, the National Weather Service is calling for heavy rains, strong winds and significant rises on local rivers and streams.

Weather experts say a series of storms will move through the region beginning Thursday as a strong jet stream stretching across the Pacific Ocean will bring a steady stream of moisture into the Pacific Northwest – including southwest Oregon.

The heaviest rainfall will be with the storm on Saturday as the remnants of Typhoon Songda are pulled into the jet stream. Rainfall amounts of up to 13 inches are expected on the Southern Oregon coast and from three to six inches of rain are expected in the western valleys from Thursday through Monday.

While mainstem rivers like the Rogue will experience significant rises due to these storms, they are not expected to flood. However, small streams and urban areas in the region could experience high water or flooding where there is poor drainage.

The exact scenario for flooding and high water remains uncertain. Watches and warnings may be issued by the National Weather Service if the situation worsens.
Posted by Sam Marsh 10/12/16 7:02AM

I put off my last 16' of gutter on my deck roof all summer....  I finally got it done yesterday afternoon.  Ready for the rain!

GOES West,  young man.
I covered both front and back yards with blue tarps proped up by 2X4 frames ...57 of 'em. 

The cat does not like rain.

If the cat ain't happy, ain't nobody happy!   Sad
[Image: 2eoe2yb.jpg]
(10-13-2016, 02:58 PM)tvguy Wrote: [Image: 2eoe2yb.jpg]

The no mold zone
.77" so far on the rain guage since midnight. Not a bad start for this storm.

1" @ 6:55pm
(10-13-2016, 04:48 PM)GPnative Wrote:

The no mold zone

Yea, as long as you get sun.
It looks like you have a lot of work ahead of you.
Do you hire the migrant workers or the locals?
(10-13-2016, 05:52 PM)GPnative Wrote: .77" so far on the rain guage since midnight. Not a bad start for this storm.

My Daddy does the rain gauge thing too. I'll have to check with him to see what his says.

Posted via Tapatalk
(10-13-2016, 10:14 PM)Scrapper Wrote:
(10-13-2016, 05:52 PM)GPnative Wrote: .77" so far on the rain guage since midnight. Not a bad start for this storm.

My Daddy does the rain gauge thing too. I'll have to check with him to see what his says.

Posted via Tapatalk
Had an email that I hadn't seen yet. He said:

"As of 7PM we have had a little over an inch"

Posted via Tapatalk
(10-13-2016, 10:04 PM)chuck white Wrote:
(10-13-2016, 04:48 PM)GPnative Wrote:

The no mold zone

Yea, as long as you get sun.
It looks like you have a lot of work ahead of you.
Do you hire the migrant workers or the locals?

Yeah we started trimming yesterday. Me the wife and a friends from out  of town. Put the  guests to work LOL. Some of the buds were sticking out from under my new greenhouse extension. I have two plants that although could go a little longer I will be harvesting them first.
A new thread should say.. second storm bring of the wind. From what I hear it could get very nasty.