Making America great again
(12-08-2016, 10:38 AM)orygunluvr Wrote:
(12-08-2016, 09:57 AM)Valuesize Wrote:
(12-08-2016, 08:51 AM)orygunluvr Wrote: Maybe we can start exporting more than we import as well.

Does that mean Donny will have to use US steel instead of Chinese steel now?
I don't know if he uses Chinese steel, but I do know that all the commercial projects I work on every month Chinese steel doesn't meet our American specs, same for Mexican steel. At one point in the late 90s the Chinese were building the largest bridge in the world and almost all of our steel was exported to that project raising the price of steel here domestically so much that projects under construction had to be delayed because of the severity of the cost impacts to the budgets. 

So trump using Chinese steel has been confirmed? Or just another liberal media fake news story?

You work?
A spoof of a conversation between Wonky and me. 

Cletus1: Bullshit!

Wonky: Perhaps you should refer to it as fecal bovine matter untill you firmly establish that it came from an uncasterated bovine animal. 

Cletus1: WTF?

Wonky: I believe being accurate is important. 

Cletus1: WTDF?

Razz  Just joking Wonk.   Laughing
What this about Chinese steel being inferior? I got some drill bits (made in China) at the dollar store.
When I was drilling something (wood probably) I pressed down too hard and the drill bit bend (a little more than 90°).
It' didn't break. An American drill bit would have snapped, with just the slightest of bending.

Wink
(12-08-2016, 01:42 PM)chuck white Wrote: What this about Chinese steel being inferior? I got some drill bits (made in China) at the dollar store.
When I was drilling something (wood probably) I pressed down too hard and the drill bit bend (a little more than 90°).
It' didn't break. An American drill bit would have snapped, with just the slightest of bending.

Wink

I've had the same happen with cheap drill bits.

I once bent an offset in to an 18 in auger bit with a conduit bender.Then told our new greenhorn shop boy to go buy a new one because it was dull.
I told him to take the old one with him. They asked if it was me who sent him. He said yeah why?
[Image: 15349637_1342575242502193_27310283101422...e=58F8549E]

I realize this is intended to be sarcastic humor... but considering his choices thus far, it wouldn't surprise me one bit.  Rolling Eyes
(12-08-2016, 04:38 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(12-08-2016, 01:42 PM)chuck white Wrote: What this about Chinese steel being inferior? I got some drill bits (made in China) at the dollar store.

Wink

I once bent an offset in to an 18 in auger bit with a conduit bender.Then told our new greenhorn shop boy to go buy a new one because it was dull.
I told him to take the old one with him. They asked if it was me who sent him. He said yeah why?

I saw a guy once try to drill a whole, but the drill was in reverse (we all have done that). I pointed out his drill was going backwards.
He stopped took the drill bit out, and turned it around. (pointy end inward).
(12-09-2016, 01:52 PM)chuck white Wrote:

Wink

I saw a guy once try to drill a whole, but the drill was in reverse (we all have done that). I pointed out his drill was going backwards.

Another fun thing we used to do was put someones hacksaw blade in backwards Laughing
(12-09-2016, 02:57 PM)tvguy Wrote:

Wink

Another fun thing we used to do was put someones hacksaw blade in backwards Laughing

Laughing
I did that to myself, when I was a kid.
MACA!  Big Grin

(12-09-2016, 11:01 PM)chuck white Wrote:

Wink

Laughing
I watched an iron worker tell a new apprentice to go down and get a portable ground bucket so they could weld up on the 15th floor, kid walked around asking for one for about a half hour before the foreman told him it was a joke.
(12-11-2016, 11:43 AM)orygunluvr Wrote:
(12-09-2016, 11:01 PM)chuck white Wrote:
(12-08-2016, 04:38 PM)tvguy Wrote: I've had the same happen with cheap drill bits.

Laughing
I watched an iron worker tell a new apprentice to go down and get a portable ground bucket so they could weld up on the 15th floor, kid walked around asking for one for about a half hour before the foreman told him it was a joke.
Like you never went snipe hunting.
MAGA 

Quote:IBM Lays Out Plans to Hire 25,000 in U.S. Ahead of Trump Meeting
by 
Jing Cao

December 13, 2016, 1:00 PM PST
  • CEO Rometty is on Trump’s advisory panel of business leaders
  • President-elect made employment issues a key campaign element

[Image: 640x-1.jpg]

Servers and hard drives stand inside pod one of International Business Machines Corp.'s Softlayer data center in Dallas, Texas.
 Photographer: Ben Torres/Bloomberg
IBM Chief Executive Officer Ginni Rometty said she plans to hire about 25,000 people in the U.S. and invest $1 billion over the next four years, laying out her vision for filling technology jobs in America on the eve of a meeting of industry leaders with President-elect Donald Trump.
Rometty, who is on Trump’s advisory panel of business leaders, will join Facebook Inc.’s Sheryl Sandberg, Amazon.com Inc.’s Jeff Bezos and Alphabet Inc.’s Larry Page and Eric Schmidt at a summit with Trump Wednesday in New York that is said to focus on jobs.

Quote:Small Business Owners' Optimism Skyrockets Following Trump Victory
Small businesses seem to like a unified Republican government.
by 
Luke Kawa

December 13, 2016, 5:02 AM PST

Surprise! Trump May Be Great for Business

President-elect Donald Trump's victory in the U.S. elections is a giant leap for small businesses, according to a survey of their owners.
The November reading of the National Federation of Independent Businesses' small business optimism index jumped to 98.4 from 94.9 — its sharpest surge since 2009 — with all of the increase in sentiment coming after the U.S. elections held on Nov. 8.
“This month we bifurcated the data to measure the results before and after the election,” explained Chief Economist Bill Dunkelberg. “The November index was basically unchanged from October's reading up to the point of the election and then rose dramatically after the results of the election were known.”
Among those who were surveyed following the election, the balance of opinion on whether business conditions were expected to improve skyrocketed from a reading of -6 to a whopping +38.
For the month as a whole, this subindex improved to 12, from -7, to reach its highest level since 2014. Similarly, the balance of opinion on sales expectations jumped by 10 percentage points to +11.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/...mp-victory
(12-15-2016, 09:31 AM)SFLiberal Wrote: MAGA 

Quote:IBM Lays Out Plans to Hire 25,000 in U.S. Ahead of Trump Meeting
by 
Jing Cao

December 13, 2016, 1:00 PM PST
  • CEO Rometty is on Trump’s advisory panel of business leaders
  • President-elect made employment issues a key campaign element

[Image: 640x-1.jpg]

Servers and hard drives stand inside pod one of International Business Machines Corp.'s Softlayer data center in Dallas, Texas.
 Photographer: Ben Torres/Bloomberg
IBM Chief Executive Officer Ginni Rometty said she plans to hire about 25,000 people in the U.S. and invest $1 billion over the next four years, laying out her vision for filling technology jobs in America on the eve of a meeting of industry leaders with President-elect Donald Trump.
Rometty, who is on Trump’s advisory panel of business leaders, will join Facebook Inc.’s Sheryl Sandberg, Amazon.com Inc.’s Jeff Bezos and Alphabet Inc.’s Larry Page and Eric Schmidt at a summit with Trump Wednesday in New York that is said to focus on jobs.

Quote:Small Business Owners' Optimism Skyrockets Following Trump Victory
Small businesses seem to like a unified Republican government.
by 
Luke Kawa

December 13, 2016, 5:02 AM PST

President-elect Donald Trump's victory in the U.S. elections is a giant leap for small businesses, according to a survey of their owners.
The November reading of the National Federation of Independent Businesses' small business optimism index jumped to 98.4 from 94.9 — its sharpest surge since 2009 — with all of the increase in sentiment coming after the U.S. elections held on Nov. 8.
“This month we bifurcated the data to measure the results before and after the election,” explained Chief Economist Bill Dunkelberg. “The November index was basically unchanged from October's reading up to the point of the election and then rose dramatically after the results of the election were known.”
Among those who were surveyed following the election, the balance of opinion on whether business conditions were expected to improve skyrocketed from a reading of -6 to a whopping +38.
For the month as a whole, this subindex improved to 12, from -7, to reach its highest level since 2014. Similarly, the balance of opinion on sales expectations jumped by 10 percentage points to +11.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/...mp-victory

Good news. We know how important small business are to our economy. 

And I hope it holds. It's early days, and Mr. Trump has yet to "act". 

And too, business cycles are most often not effected by immediate events, but things that have been percolating in the sytem for awhile. I wonder if we can be sure this improvement is solely the election of Mr. Trump? 
Maybe.
Time will tell.
(12-15-2016, 09:43 AM)Wonky3 Wrote: Good news. We know how important small business are to our economy. 

And I hope it holds. It's early days, and Mr. Trump has yet to "act". 

And too, business cycles are most often not effected by immediate events, but things that have been percolating in the sytem for awhile. I wonder if we can be sure this improvement is solely the election of Mr. Trump? 
Maybe.
Time will tell.

I suspect much of this would have happened with the republicans taking control at the top and both houses, regardless who it is at the top. 

Donny is at the top so he has every right to pat himself on the back. He's REALLY good at that.  Dry
The good news continues.  MAGA 

Quote:Dollar Climbs to Strongest Since 2003 on Fed Path; Bonds Drop
by 
Cecile Gutscher
 and 
Jeremy Herron

December 14, 2016, 3:15 PM PST December 15, 2016, 1:12 PM PST
  • ‘It feels like going long dollar is free money, no one loses’
  • Asian index futures diverge as yen drives haven-asset retreat

Maher: Euro Decline to Push Market to Think Parity

The dollar rallied to its strongest level since 2003 against the euro, while gold plunged as the prospect of a steeper path for U.S. interest rates going forward filtered through markets. U.S. stocks rebounded from their worst day in two months as havens retreated.

The most important market news of the day.
Get our markets daily newsletter.

Financial shares drove gains in major American equity benchmarks, while interest rate-sensitive stocks slipped after 10-year Treasury yields reached their highest level in more than two years. The greenback extended its advance against major and emerging-market peers after the Federal Reserve’s first, and last, rate hike of 2016 came with an increase in the number of increases expected next year. Gold tumbled to a 10-month low.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/...ures-mixed

It's amazing what is happening once the cloud of Obama was lifted....
(12-15-2016, 02:41 PM)SFLiberal Wrote: The good news continues.  MAGA 

Quote:Dollar Climbs to Strongest Since 2003 on Fed Path; Bonds Drop
by 
Cecile Gutscher
 and 
Jeremy Herron

December 14, 2016, 3:15 PM PST December 15, 2016, 1:12 PM PST
  • ‘It feels like going long dollar is free money, no one loses’
  • Asian index futures diverge as yen drives haven-asset retreat

The dollar rallied to its strongest level since 2003 against the euro, while gold plunged as the prospect of a steeper path for U.S. interest rates going forward filtered through markets. U.S. stocks rebounded from their worst day in two months as havens retreated.

The most important market news of the day.
Get our markets daily newsletter.

Financial shares drove gains in major American equity benchmarks, while interest rate-sensitive stocks slipped after 10-year Treasury yields reached their highest level in more than two years. The greenback extended its advance against major and emerging-market peers after the Federal Reserve’s first, and last, rate hike of 2016 came with an increase in the number of increases expected next year. Gold tumbled to a 10-month low.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/...ures-mixed

It's amazing what is happening once the cloud of Obama was lifted....

Really? He is still in the oval office. Lame duck, but still there. 

There simply is no empirical evidence that this is a result of Mr. Trump winning the election. 
But...could be. What moves the market and business climate is often difficult to know for some time. 

And this "cloud" that has lifted? Would you be talking about the cloud that lifted after president Obama assumed office during one of the worst financial disasters in our countries history? A disaster that happened on the watch of a Republican president. 

Who knows. I don't. But SFlib, you seem to be one of the least objective posters who have ever visited these pages. This comment above is just another example. 

And yet...I respond. Says something about me that I don't like all that much. I gotta work on that.
I have no idea if there is a connection, but it doesn't seem likely that there is a direct 1:1 relationship. On the other hand, who knows? On the third hand, whatever.

Quote:Post hoc ergo propter hoc (Latin: "after this, therefore because of this") is a logical fallacy (of the questionable cause variety) that states "Since event Y followed event X, event Y must have been caused by event X." It is often shortened to simply post hoc fallacy. It is subtly different from the fallacy cum hoc ergo propter hoc ("with this, therefore because of this"), in which two things or events occur simultaneously or the chronological ordering is insignificant or unknown. Post hoc is a particularly tempting error because temporal sequence appears to be integral to causality. The fallacy lies in coming to a conclusion based solely on the order of events, rather than taking into account other factors that might rule out the connection.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post_hoc_ergo_propter_hoc
How will this affect the Dollar store?
(12-15-2016, 06:49 PM)tvguy Wrote: How will this affect the Dollar store?

OMG!
That didn't even occur to me.  Confused

Note to BIG ROCK: 
YOU POSTED: 
"Post hoc ergo propter hoc"

Look here buddy, this is a family forum. You can't use that kind of language here.