A Good Read?
I'm nearing the end of "General Of The Army", the biography of George C. Clark. A good read: I'd recommend it as a good "winter read". 

And, thinking of reading "The Dark Side", by Jane Mayer. 

From WIKI: 

The Dark Side[edit]

Mayer's third nonfiction book, The Dark Side: The Inside Story of How the War on Terror Turned into a War on American Ideals (2008), addresses the origins, legal justifications, and possible war crimes liability of the use of enhanced interrogation techniques (commonly considered torture) on detainees and the subsequent deaths of detainees under such interrogation by the CIA and DOD. The book was a finalist for the National Book Awards.[14]
In its review of The Dark SideThe New York Times noted that the book is "the most vivid and comprehensive account we have so far of how a government founded on checks and balances and respect for individual rights could have been turned against those ideals."[15] The Times subsequently named The Dark Side one of its notable books of the year.[16]
Andrew J. Bacevich, reviewing the book in The Washington Post, wrote: "[Mayer's] achievement lies less in bringing new revelations to light than in weaving into a comprehensive narrative a story revealed elsewhere in bits and pieces."[17]Post reporter Joby Warrick reported that Mayer's book revealed that a Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) analyst warned the Bush administration that "up to a third of the detainees at Guantanamo Bay may have been imprisoned by mistake." The administration ignored the warning and insisted that all were enemy combatants.[18]
In a story appearing the same day in The New York Times, reporter Scott Shane revealed that Mayer's book disclosed that International Committee of the Red Cross officials had concluded in a secret report in 2007, that "the Central Intelligence Agency's interrogation methods for high-level Qaeda prisoners constituted torture and could make the Bush administration officials who approved them guilty of war crimes."[19]
Mayer said of her book: "I see myself more as a reporter than as an advocate."[20]

************************************************************************************************

No doubt some will see her writing as "Liberal Bias". 
Maybe. 
So, we can read this and then balance it will other reports. 

Looks like an interesting/informative read. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jane_Mayer..._education

Later Edit: Or, if you are more in the mood for some "mind candy" fiction, have a look at "A Man Called Ove" 
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1877...called-ove
(12-02-2016, 08:44 AM)Wonky3 Wrote: I'm nearing the end of "General Of The Army", the biography of George C. Clark. A good read: I'd recommend it as a good "winter read". 

From WIKI: 

The Dark Side[edit]

Mayer's third nonfiction book, The Dark Side: The Inside Story of How the War on Terror Turned into a War on American Ideals (2008), addresses the origins, legal justifications, and possible war crimes liability of the use of enhanced interrogation techniques (commonly considered torture) on detainees and the subsequent deaths of detainees under such interrogation by the CIA and DOD. The book was a finalist for the National Book Awards.[14]
In its review of The Dark SideThe New York Times noted that the book is "the most vivid and comprehensive account we have so far of how a government founded on checks and balances and respect for individual rights could have been turned against those ideals."[15] The Times subsequently named The Dark Side one of its notable books of the year.[16]
Andrew J. Bacevich, reviewing the book in The Washington Post, wrote: "[Mayer's] achievement lies less in bringing new revelations to light than in weaving into a comprehensive narrative a story revealed elsewhere in bits and pieces."[17]Post reporter Joby Warrick reported that Mayer's book revealed that a Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) analyst warned the Bush administration that "up to a third of the detainees at Guantanamo Bay may have been imprisoned by mistake." The administration ignored the warning and insisted that all were enemy combatants.[18]
In a story appearing the same day in The New York Times, reporter Scott Shane revealed that Mayer's book disclosed that International Committee of the Red Cross officials had concluded in a secret report in 2007, that "the Central Intelligence Agency's interrogation methods for high-level Qaeda prisoners constituted torture and could make the Bush administration officials who approved them guilty of war crimes."[19]
Mayer said of her book: "I see myself more as a reporter than as an advocate."[20]

************************************************************************************************

Maybe. 

Later Edit: Or, if you are more in the mood for some "mind candy" fiction, have a look at "A Man Called Ove" 

I'd recommend it as a good "winter read".

What books you read matters what season it is? Do you read BETTER books in the summer?
(12-02-2016, 12:29 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(12-02-2016, 08:44 AM)Wonky3 Wrote: I'm nearing the end of "General Of The Army", the biography of George C. Clark. A good read: I'd recommend it as a good "winter read". 

From WIKI: 

The Dark Side[edit]

Maybe. 

What books you read matters what season it is? Do you read BETTER books in the summer?

Read what you will, when you want.
There is a long tradition of "summer reading" that is light and easy. Owing no doubt to the vacations taken during the warm months.
So, we are left with the cold winter to catch up on more substantial reading. Or not 
Another option: Just don't read.
(12-02-2016, 07:31 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:

From WIKI: 

The Dark Side[edit]

Maybe. 

There is a long tradition of "summer reading" that is light and easy. Owing no doubt to the vacations taken during the warm months.
So, we are left with the cold winter to catch up on more substantial reading. Or not 

Well ya don't have to get all pissy. I had no idea anyone cared what season it was when they read whatever. Silly ass me. I think I would read what I like the most no matter when it was.
(12-02-2016, 10:12 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(12-02-2016, 07:31 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:

From WIKI: 

The Dark Side[edit]

Maybe. 

Well ya don't have to get all pissy. I had no idea anyone cared what season it was when they read whatever. Silly ass me. I think I would read what I like the most no matter when it was.
Pissy?  Laughing 

By the way, Finished "General of the Army, George C. Marshall". A tad long at well over 800 pages but IMHO a really good read (if one enjoys biography). A truly remarkable man! 

Want some mind candy? Try "Before The Fall", Noah Hawley. Clever, and a fun read.

Later edit: Even better, "Is Fat Bob Dead Yet" Stephen Dobyns
Just ordered my Kindle copy.

https://www.amazon.com/Liberalism-Turn-W...gess+owens
(03-03-2017, 09:00 AM)Hugo Wrote: Just ordered my Kindle copy.

https://www.amazon.com/Liberalism-Turn-W...gess+owens

Hope you enjoy it. Let us know what you think after having read it. The title would suggest another well researched book exploring the full complexites of political and social life in these turbulent times. Or not.  Wink
A good monthly read with lots of informative content. 

https://www.sofmag.com
I prefer a good graphic novel

[Image: 9b709114-3e7f-4637-a50f-39a61d97c029.jpg]