Privacy/Sen Wyden, Postcast
I can't do justice to this in the space allowed, and because I don't have the "chops" to reduce it to a couple of succinct lines. 
It's an NPR (OH GOD! NOT THOSE LIBERAL EVIL-DOERS) Podcast "On The Media". If the link below doesn't take you directly to it, browse a bit until you find the Dec 9th, "Imagine That" broadcast. 

I thought this was not only interesting, but a "bit scary". And I think our own Sen. Ron Wyden does himself proud expressing his feelings about safeguarding our private information, while at the same time understanding our need for national security. (And you can "fast forward to hear Sen. Wyden if you don't want to listen to the entire thing). 

Whatever. 

http://www.npr.org/podcasts/452538775/on-the-media
Do you know if there is a transcript of this? (I'd prefer to read it) I looked around a bit on their site and Google without success.
(12-10-2016, 10:23 AM)Valuesize Wrote: Do you know if there is a transcript of this? (I'd prefer to read it) I looked around a bit on their site and Google without success.

Yeah listen 50 minutes? I haven't listened to my wife that much in 40 years. I couldn't find a transcript either.
(12-10-2016, 11:24 AM)tvguy Wrote:
(12-10-2016, 10:23 AM)Valuesize Wrote: Do you know if there is a transcript of this? (I'd prefer to read it) I looked around a bit on their site and Google without success.

Yeah listen 50 minutes? I haven't listened to my wife that much in 40 years. I couldn't find a transcript either.

We could put Wonky on transcribing it and all meet back here in August to discuss it.    Big Grin
(12-10-2016, 11:50 AM)Cuzz Wrote:

We could put Wonky on transcribing it and all meet back here in August to discuss it.    Big Grin
Yeah, like that's gonna happen. I found a sit that "claimed" we could download NPR transcripts but didn't work for me. 

So, I guess you will miss it. It's won't matter THAT much. 

We all live in different patterns and choices, and I like "radio" a lot so listen to many podcasts. But, the secret (for me) is HOW AND WHEN I listen. 

I download them to a iPod (too cheap to have a smart phone) and listen when I walk, do the bit of yard work I'm still capable of, and during the night becaue I have some "sleep issues". 

I wasn't suggesting you should pause HERE and listen. And if all you have is a desktop machine, I guess it would not be all that much fun to sit in front of it to hear something this long. 

Oh well. Wink

PS: If you only want to hear Sen. Wyden, you can advance the audio until you find him speaking.

I ain't listening anything that long. Just tell me the conclusion and how you got there.
(12-10-2016, 02:23 PM)cletus1 Wrote:

I ain't listening anything that long. Just tell me the conclusion and how you got there.

Good point. I wish I'd have thought of that.  Embarrassed

The National Security Act (NSA) is too "wide" allowing government agencies to pry into INDIVIDUALS records with very wide ranging permissions from judges that are often clear across the country from the surveillance. Sen. Wyden made a impassioned speech on the floor of the Senate to try to reign in some of this power.
(12-10-2016, 05:01 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:

The National Security Act (NSA) is too "wide" allowing government agencies to pry into INDIVIDUALS records with very wide ranging permissions from judges that are often clear across the country from the surveillance. Sen. Wyden made a impassioned speech on the floor of the Senate to try to reign in some of this power.

that why you keep false records. So none of your records can be used in a court.
(12-10-2016, 05:01 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:

Thanks. Wyden has been a champion for the right to privacy. I followed his early efforts to shed light on the NSA surveilance of American citizens. 

I wonder if any of our friends on the right that wanted to reign in unwarranted surveillance when Obama supported collecting mega data care anymore. If I remember correctly, Obama was all about collecting information in the name of fighting terrorism. Republicans and Democrats seemed to sort of agree the surveillance needed to be scaled back. 

I don't think Trump will be too interested in privacy other than his own. I may be wrong, but I think Trump wants to know as much about "you" as he can.