Why Not?
So with the continued lip service of free college why no mention ever of free trade school? There must be some reasonable explanation right?
(12-15-2016, 10:58 AM)orygunluvr Wrote: So with the continued lip service of free college why no mention ever of free trade school? There must be some reasonable explanation right?

It's harder to indoctrinate at a trade school because you actually have to learn something useful.
(12-15-2016, 11:03 AM)GPnative Wrote:
(12-15-2016, 10:58 AM)orygunluvr Wrote: So with the continued lip service of free college why no mention ever of free trade school? There must be some reasonable explanation right?

It's harder to indoctrinate at a trade school because you actually have to learn something useful.

Yeah, those lame ass medical students and those getting their engineering degrees don't contribute anything to our country.  Big Grin
(12-15-2016, 11:31 AM)cletus1 Wrote:

Yeah, those lame ass medical students and those getting their engineering degrees don't contribute anything to our country.  Big Grin

Who said anything about it be an issue of contributing to the country? They still come out indoctrinated.
(12-15-2016, 11:51 AM)GPnative Wrote:

Who said anything about it be an issue of contributing to the country? They still come out indoctrinated.

You wear the tin hat well.
(12-15-2016, 11:58 AM)Valuesize Wrote:

Tin hat? Whatever. 

But, I don't buy the "indoctrinated" thing. That smacks of paranoia.

Education is a good start on the road to critical thinking and critical thinking leads to "the truth" as we understand it. (Even if it changes later). And I don't subscribe to the feeling that the only path to a good general education is formal schooling. If one can read, and reach out to folks willing to share knowledge, we can learn a lot without sitting in a classroom. 

But to the point of trade schools. I agree that there has been FAR too much emphasis on ALL students being encouraged to attend a four year college to complete a degree. For many of us, real skills that provide the tools to do good meaningful work in "the trades" (or other work not requiring a degree) can be rewarding not only in the income we derive from those skills, but the satisfactions in "a job well done". 

“Intellectual growth should commence at birth and cease only at death.” 

― Albert Einstein
(12-15-2016, 11:58 AM)Valuesize Wrote:

I wear mine with pride, more often than not history proves I am on the correct side of truth.
(12-15-2016, 01:00 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:
Tin hat? Whatever.

Education is a good start on the road to critical thinking and critical thinking leads to "the truth" as we understand it. (Even if it changes later). And I don't subscribe to the feeling that the only path to a good general education is formal schooling. If one can read, and reach out to folks willing to share knowledge, we can learn a lot without sitting in a classroom. 

But to the point of trade schools. I agree that there has been FAR too much emphasis on ALL students being encouraged to attend a four year college to complete a degree. For many of us, real skills that provide the tools to do good meaningful work in "the trades" (or other work not requiring a degree) can be rewarding not only in the income we derive from those skills, but the satisfactions in "a job well done". 

― Albert Einstein

Obviously I use the label more liberally than you.  Big Grin
(12-15-2016, 01:06 PM)Valuesize Wrote:
Tin hat? Whatever.

― Albert Einstein

Why not. I don't think there is a strict definition about "Tin Hat". 
I'm glad I had a change to voice my view of it.
Your thoughts about it are certainly as valid as mine. 
We just disagree. It's allowed here.

I was referring to this part of your post.  Smiling

You got your free education, (high school) , don't you think others should get a free education up to their potential.
(12-15-2016, 01:56 PM)chuck white Wrote:

You got your free education, (high school) , don't you think others should get a free education up to their potential.
You obviously took one to many Hong times before posting this.
(12-15-2016, 01:18 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:
Tin hat? Whatever.

― Albert Einstein

UM yeah the ONLY way I have ever heard the term "tin hat" is usually   "tin foil hat"  and it always means the one wearing one is crazy, loopy , loony, loco,not playing with a full deck.
(12-15-2016, 03:12 PM)tvguy Wrote:
Tin hat? Whatever.

― Albert Einstein

UM yeah the ONLY way I have ever heard the term "tin hat" is usually   "tin foil hat"  and it always means the one wearing one is crazy, loopy , loony, loco,not playing with a full deck.

Yeah. Sure not a HARD HAT worn by people who work for a living. 

And OL, suggesting that a college education is "indoctrination" (If I understood your post correctly) is way past just plain silly. And, I regret to say, typical of the comments you so often make here. 
Think twice.
Post once.  Smiling
(12-15-2016, 03:20 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:
Tin hat? Whatever.

― Albert Einstein

And OL, suggesting that a college education is "indoctrination" (If I understood your post correctly) is way past just plain silly. And, I regret to say, typical of the comments you so often make here. 
Think twice.
Post once.  Smiling

Shit man, keep up, I was the one who said indoctrination.
(12-15-2016, 03:24 PM)GPnative Wrote:
(12-15-2016, 01:06 PM)Valuesize Wrote: Obviously I use the label more liberally than you.  Big Grin

Think twice.
Post once.  Smiling

It's not his fault you buy in to this loopy as "indoctrination" garbage just like OL.
(12-15-2016, 03:32 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(12-15-2016, 03:24 PM)GPnative Wrote:
(12-15-2016, 01:18 PM)Wonky3 Wrote: Why not. I don't think there is a strict definition about "Tin Hat". 

Think twice.
Post once.  Smiling

It's not his fault you buy in to this loopy as "indoctrination" garbage just like OL.

Yeah, but still I REALLY do have to "keep up". I blame it on the format.  Embarrassed

And, by the way GPNative, would you mind flushing that out a bit. Indoctrination? By whom? Why? How?
Tin hat? Whatever.

― Albert Einstein

I heard cowboys talk about wearing a tin gallon hat. not sure what they mean.