Thinking About A Generator
(01-07-2017, 03:15 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(01-07-2017, 03:06 PM)Valuesize Wrote:
(01-07-2017, 02:43 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(01-07-2017, 02:31 PM)orygunluvr Wrote: If that generator doesn't have a surge protector you could fry your frig.

Or your computer That's one reason people get inverter generators like the Honda's They are more  expensive but they are also a lot quieter.
The ones with an I or IS in the name. I've been looking to buy a used Honda  EU2000i used for a long time.

About a grand new. How much would a used one go for?
I've seen them for 800 but I'm too cheap. I'm waiting to find a more motivated seller.

That's too close to the new price unless it's in like new condition. Anyway, the storm here fizzled out so no hurry. Maybe I should wait until we get our house and go big.  Wink
(01-07-2017, 03:26 PM)Valuesize Wrote:
(01-07-2017, 03:15 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(01-07-2017, 03:06 PM)Valuesize Wrote:
(01-07-2017, 02:43 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(01-07-2017, 02:31 PM)orygunluvr Wrote: If that generator doesn't have a surge protector you could fry your frig.

Or your computer That's one reason people get inverter generators like the Honda's They are more  expensive but they are also a lot quieter.
The ones with an I or IS in the name. I've been looking to buy a used Honda  EU2000i used for a long time.

About a grand new. How much would a used one go for?
I've seen them for 800 but I'm too cheap. I'm waiting to find a more motivated seller.

That's too close to the new price unless it's in like new condition. Anyway, the storm here fizzled out so no hurry. Maybe I should wait until we get our house and go big.  Wink

Geo-Thermo?
We have a Honda 6500 with a GFI since 12-1995. Overkill with the house we live in now but at the time it worked great for our needs. My mom has a Champion 3500(Costco) with GFI which works out prefect for her. Microwave and frig is all she needs. If you have the $$$ get a quieter model.
That generator from the depot is one heavy sob. Wheels may make it roll around for you but wait until you have to load it into/onto something. Mine is that size and it's a little over 200 lbs full. I can still dead lift it into my truck but every year it gets heavier.....
(01-07-2017, 09:14 PM)orygunluvr Wrote: That generator from the depot is one heavy sob. Wheels may make it roll around for you but wait until you have to load it into/onto something. Mine is that size and it's a little over 200 lbs full. I can still dead lift it into my truck but every year it gets heavier.....

I think my body is more of a wreck than yours, so I think I should wait until we get our forever house.  Crying There's always the Best Western down the street if we get cold. Big Grin
(01-07-2017, 09:25 PM)Valuesize Wrote:
(01-07-2017, 09:14 PM)orygunluvr Wrote: That generator from the depot is one heavy sob. Wheels may make it roll around for you but wait until you have to load it into/onto something. Mine is that size and it's a little over 200 lbs full. I can still dead lift it into my truck but every year it gets heavier.....

I think my body is more of a wreck than yours, so I think I should wait until we get our forever house.  Crying There's always the Best Western down the street if we get cold. Big Grin
My body is wrecked as well I just work to stay in fairly good shape so it doesn't hurt as much. Plus with boys issues I have to be able to catch during falling or move him at any given time, he's 6' 165lbs. I actually have a shoulder that needs a replacement but that can't happen either at least until we/the doctors get a better handle with boy.
(01-07-2017, 11:10 PM)Horygunluvr Wrote:

My body is wrecked as well I just work to stay in fairly good shape so it doesn't hurt as much. Plus with boys issues I have to be able to catch during falling or move him at any given time, he's 6' 165lbs. I actually have a shoulder that needs a replacement but that can't happen either at least until we/the doctors get a better handle with boy.

I love you.
(01-08-2017, 02:42 AM)cletus1 Wrote:
(01-07-2017, 11:10 PM)Horygunluvr Wrote:

I love you.

That's not my fault.
This "Electric Generator" topic brings up a larger point.

We could someday face a prolonged period without electricity. The tectonic plate off-shore of the west coast will someday push our land mass around causing chaos. 

Some scientists feel there is a possiblity that we might someday have a sun flare so strong it could knock out all the earths electrical grids. Restoring them could take a long time. 

Even political/military events could leave us without delivered electricity. 

We might all want to condsider ways of dealing with life's daily events should this occur. 

I wonder if I should hire someone to dig a large hole and build an out-house in my back yard?
(01-08-2017, 10:10 AM)Wonky3 Wrote: This "Electric Generator" topic brings up a larger point.

We could someday face a prolonged period without electricity. The tectonic plate off-shore of the west coast will someday push our land mass around causing chaos. 

Some scientists feel there is a possiblity that we might someday have a sun flare so strong it could knock out all the earths electrical grids. Restoring them could take a long time. 

We might all want to condsider ways of dealing with life's daily events should this occur. 

I wonder if I should hire someone to dig a large hole and build an out-house in my back yard?

That's a BIG subject. Maybe should have been it's own thread... if anybody plays.
(01-08-2017, 10:45 AM)Cuzz Wrote:
(01-08-2017, 10:10 AM)Wonky3 Wrote: This "Electric Generator" topic brings up a larger point.

That's a BIG subject. Maybe should have been it's own thread... if anybody plays.

An outhouse can be real handy in times like that.
But you can't tell anyone about it.
(01-08-2017, 10:51 AM)chuck white Wrote:

True. and you don't want to advertise the stock of food and water you have stored either. (But, it won't be long until ugly guys with guns come checking). 
So many of us take our flush toilets for granted. Without electric pumping, they wlll all too soon be a place you no longer want to visit. 
And yes, this might be a Topic of it's own. But, what's left to say? 
How to prepare? We know. It's "the doing" that counts.
(01-08-2017, 10:58 AM)Wonky3 Wrote:

True. and you don't want to advertise the stock of food and water you have stored either. (But, it won't be long until ugly guys with guns come checking). 
So many of us take our flush toilets for granted. Without electric pumping, they wlll all too soon be a place you no longer want to visit. 

An outhouse is hard to hide and could be a great attraction during the Apocalypse.
I decided to stock up on depends instead.
(01-08-2017, 11:02 AM)chuck white Wrote:
(01-08-2017, 10:58 AM)Wonky3 Wrote:

An outhouse is hard to hide and could be a great attraction during the Apocalypse.
I decided to stock up on depends instead.

Chuck, I think you should do science a favor and donate your brain for study after you pass on. (But wish you a long and happy life).
I thought about buying a generator when we relocated to SD, but didn't have to...we are on the town's emergency generator since we live so close to city hall and the county offices. Smiling
(01-08-2017, 08:05 PM)HolyMaryMotherOfGod Wrote: I thought about buying a generator when we relocated to SD, but didn't have to...we are on the town's emergency generator since we live so close to city hall and the county offices. Smiling

Just curious, does the city know about this??     Big Grin
(01-09-2017, 06:53 PM)Cuzz Wrote:
(01-08-2017, 08:05 PM)HolyMaryMotherOfGod Wrote: I thought about buying a generator when we relocated to SD, but didn't have to...we are on the town's emergency generator since we live so close to city hall and the county offices. Smiling

Yes, they do. Smiling

Everyone within a 5 block radius of city hall is.
(01-09-2017, 07:15 PM)HolyMaryMotherOfGod Wrote:

Yes, they do. Smiling

Very impressive.

Yes, they do. Smiling

Well then why do you have to drive 40 miles to school?
(01-09-2017, 07:40 PM)Valuesize Wrote:

Yes, they do. Smiling

Well then why do you have to drive 40 miles to school?
Because it's to far to walk?