A Question For Our Conservative Friends
Conservatives talk, often and loud, about the advantages of deregulation.

I admit to being ignorant about what regulations are be discussed, which are to be eliminated, and how we are going to save billions of dollars that will "turn our economy around".

Anyone help, here?
I have often said, that government regulation are the cause of high medical cost.

If they deregulated the medical industry, I could open a clinic here in Sunny Valley and charge half the cost of the medical clinics in Grants Pass.
But the government has a silly regulation, saying I have to have a medical license.
(01-08-2017, 04:03 PM)Wonky3 Wrote: Conservatives talk, often and loud, about the advantages of deregulation.

I admit to being ignorant about what regulations are be discussed, which are to be eliminated, and how we are going to save billions of dollars that will "turn our economy around".

Anyone help, here?

They don't know. Or won't say.
(01-08-2017, 04:40 PM)Cuzz Wrote:
(01-08-2017, 04:03 PM)Wonky3 Wrote: Conservatives talk, often and loud, about the advantages of deregulation.

Anyone help, here?

SOMEBODY must know. An example: He has picked Myron Ebell to head the EPA. Ebell has been yelling for years about "killing" the EPA. That outta save a bunch of money. It will be a real joy knowing there is no oversight over the things the EPA now protects us from. (For the most part). 

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

[/url][url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myron_Ebell#p-search]
Myron Ebell

Myron Ebell is Director of Global Warming and International Environmental Policy at the Competitive Enterprise Institute (CEI), a libertarian advocacy group based in Washington, D.C. He is also the chairman of the Cooler Heads Coalition, a loose coalition formed in 1997 which presents itself as "focused on dispelling the myths of global warming by exposing flawed economic, scientific, and risk analysis".[2][3] In these organizations, Ebell has been central in promoting climate change denial, distributing his views to the media and politicians.[2] Ebell, who is not a scientist,[7] has been described as a climate change skeptic,[8][9] a climate contrarian[3] and a climate change denier.[4][5][6]
(01-08-2017, 05:08 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:

Anyone help, here?

SOMEBODY must know. An example: He has picked Myron Ebell to head the EPA. Ebell has been yelling for years about "killing" the EPA. That outta save a bunch of money. It will be a real joy knowing there is no oversight over the things the EPA now protects us from. (For the most part). 

Myron Ebell

Myron Ebell is Director of Global Warming and International Environmental Policy at the Competitive Enterprise Institute (CEI), a libertarian advocacy group based in Washington, D.C. He is also the chairman of the Cooler Heads Coalition, a loose coalition formed in 1997 which presents itself as "focused on dispelling the myths of global warming by exposing flawed economic, scientific, and risk analysis".[2][3] In these organizations, Ebell has been central in promoting climate change denial, distributing his views to the media and politicians.[2] Ebell, who is not a scientist,[7] has been described as a climate change skeptic,[8][9] a climate contrarian[3] and a climate change denier.[4][5][6]
How do you pronounce EPA?
(01-08-2017, 05:10 PM)tvguy Wrote:

Anyone help, here?

Myron Ebell

Eppa. 

How do you pronounce that clucking sound you make to make a horse move forward?
(01-08-2017, 05:28 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:

Anyone help, here?

Myron Ebell

Eppa. 

....  and how do you spell it?  Just for the record.
(01-08-2017, 05:30 PM)Cuzz Wrote:
(01-08-2017, 04:40 PM)Cuzz Wrote: They don't know. Or won't say.

Myron Ebell

Eppa. 

I don't think it's "spellable"  Smiling

Anyone help, here?

Myron Ebell

Eppa. 

Eppa.

you're supposed to stutter?
Once again we only get crickets from our conservative friends.... 

In truth, they are no longer conservative, they are the alt-right. They consider conservatives no better than libtards.
(01-08-2017, 05:34 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(01-08-2017, 05:30 PM)Cuzz Wrote:
(01-08-2017, 05:08 PM)Wonky3 Wrote: SOMEBODY must know. An example: He has picked Myron Ebell to head the EPA. Ebell has been yelling for years about "killing" the EPA. That outta save a bunch of money. It will be a real joy knowing there is no oversight over the things the EPA now protects us from. (For the most part). 

Myron Ebell

Eppa. 

I don't think it's "spellable"  Smiling

Everything is spellable. http://www.dailywritingtips.com/100-most...rjections/

Anyone help, here?
The list is endless on a local,state, and federal level. I suggest you make it a point and go talk to local business people about the headaches of to much regulation. I have better things to do then spend much time on these forums so I'm not going to waste much time here. Go talk to business people and you will have your answer. I will give you a quick example. One of the things I own is a large mini storage facility in the valley. Three weeks ago osha showed up for a safety inspection. ( one person office that's it!!!) I was not available and my office person refused to talk to them so osha called me on the phone and I told them I was not coming in to the office as I was on another project. They said they would get a court order and come back, I said whatever I'm not coming in as I'm busy somewhere else. 3 days later I was in the office for a few hours and osha showed up with a court order and the state police for her protection ( I thought they were for all our protection silly me) long story short, 3 hours later, with the state police there the entire time, no problems other then I need to hold quarterly safety meetings. ( one person office here) I asked her for her best suggestion for what to talk about at this safety meeting, ready for it?? Make sure my employee stays properly hydrated!!! I pointed out there is a drinking fountain in the office and she is the mother of six kids and 20 grandkids and I would think she is capable of taking care of herself. The reaction of the cop was priceless as I thought he was going to kill the osha woman by the look in his eyes. I called Salem and talked at length to them about this. ( when osha showed up i asked what my rights were and the state police read me my Miranda rights) you have zero rights as a owner in your business. They can open, go through anything, fridge, cabinets, anything. You have no rights. I questioned him on this and his response was, " we are nice people and would never get carried away" I could talk for hours as I have apartments, Comercial buildings, heavy equipment,trucking logging equipment, wildfire equipment and support on contract, mess around with property development, getting ready to build another rental facility on the valley and have been dealing with the long list of regulation involved with that. I just sold several of my apartments and will be getting rid of all the rest as I'm tired of all the crap involved and will not build any more. You wonder why there is a housing shortage In the valley? It's directly tied to high regulation, which is tied to high cost of development, which coupled to low rents, coupled to low wages, tied to high regulation keeping good paying jobs out of the valley equals me being done!!!!!! Building housing!! I could hire more people if I want to with all the things I/we do ( I have a brother as a partner for the last thirty years) but we refuse.!!! It's not worth the crap!!! I make a very good living ( far above the average here) and I don't need to put up with all the crap so I refuse to hire more people. As I said go talk to business people... talk to the local rock pit, the construction company, the engineers, the local coffee shop, flower shop, bakery,trucking outfit, mechanic, etc etc etc. Talk to owners and you will have your answer. Cheers

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk
(01-09-2017, 12:46 AM)capitalist pig Wrote:

Anyone help, here?
The list is endless on a local,state, and federal level. I suggest you make it a point and go talk to local business people about the headaches of to  much regulation.  I have better things to do then spend much time on these forums so I'm not going to waste much time here.  Go talk to business people and you will have your answer. I will give you a quick example.  One of the things I own is a large mini storage facility in the valley.  Three weeks ago osha showed up for a safety inspection. ( one person office that's it!!!)  I was not available and my office person refused to talk to them so osha called me on the phone and I told them I was not coming in to the office as I was on another project.  They said they would get a court order and come back, I said whatever I'm not coming in as I'm busy somewhere else.  3 days later I was in the office for a few hours and osha showed up with a court order and the state police for her protection  ( I thought they were for all our protection silly me)  long story short, 3 hours later, with the state police there the entire time, no problems other then I need to hold quarterly safety meetings.  ( one person office here)  I asked her for her best suggestion for what to talk about at this safety meeting, ready for it??   Make sure my employee stays properly hydrated!!!  I pointed out there is a drinking fountain in the office and she is the mother of six kids and 20 grandkids and I would think she is capable of taking care of herself. The reaction of the cop was priceless as I thought he was going to kill the osha woman by the look in his eyes. I called Salem and talked at length to them about this. ( when osha showed up i asked what my rights were and the state police read me my Miranda rights) you have zero rights as a owner in your business.  They can open, go through anything, fridge, cabinets,  anything. You have no rights. I questioned him on this and his response was, " we are nice people and would never get carried away" I  could talk for hours as I have apartments, Comercial buildings, heavy equipment,trucking  logging equipment, wildfire equipment and support on contract,  mess around with property development,  getting ready to build another rental facility on the valley and have been dealing with the long list of regulation involved with that.  I just sold several of my apartments and will be getting rid of all the rest as I'm tired of all the crap involved and will not build any more. You wonder why there is a housing shortage In the valley?  It's directly tied to high regulation,  which is tied to high cost of development,  which coupled to low rents, coupled to low wages, tied to high regulation keeping good paying jobs out of the valley equals me being done!!!!!! Building housing!! I could hire more people if I want to with all the things I/we do ( I have a brother as a partner for the last thirty years) but we refuse.!!!  It's not worth the crap!!!  I make a very good living ( far above the average here)  and I don't need to put up with all the crap so I refuse to hire more people.  As I said go talk to business people... talk to the local rock pit, the construction company, the engineers,  the local coffee shop, flower shop, bakery,trucking outfit, mechanic,  etc etc etc.  Talk to owners and you will have your answer.  Cheers

An interesting perspective. I can agree with some of it. 

When I think about government regulation I think of the EPA, Wildlife agencies, Department of Agriculture, Water Resources, building inspectors, code enforcement and the many government agencies that try to keep us safe and keep the things we use from hurting us or the environment. 

I have been through a few OSHA inspections myself and they were not all that bad. Perhaps your mistrust of government is part of the issue too. I like the fact that there are building codes and standards that must be adhered to. It is why this country is not a third world country. 

I also recognize some overkill in the regulations of some regulatory agencies. Laws and rules need to make sense and accomplish something and when they don't they should be repealed. However, a totally deregulated country would be a disaster.
(01-09-2017, 01:44 AM)cletus1 Wrote:

Anyone help, here?
The list is endless on a local,state, and federal level. I suggest you make it a point and go talk to local business people about the headaches of to  much regulation.  I have better things to do then spend much time on these forums so I'm not going to waste much time here.  Go talk to business people and you will have your answer. I will give you a quick example.  One of the things I own is a large mini storage facility in the valley.  Three weeks ago osha showed up for a safety inspection. ( one person office that's it!!!)  I was not available and my office person refused to talk to them so osha called me on the phone and I told them I was not coming in to the office as I was on another project.  They said they would get a court order and come back, I said whatever I'm not coming in as I'm busy somewhere else.  3 days later I was in the office for a few hours and osha showed up with a court order and the state police for her protection  ( I thought they were for all our protection silly me)  long story short, 3 hours later, with the state police there the entire time, no problems other then I need to hold quarterly safety meetings.  ( one person office here)  I asked her for her best suggestion for what to talk about at this safety meeting, ready for it??   Make sure my employee stays properly hydrated!!!  I pointed out there is a drinking fountain in the office and she is the mother of six kids and 20 grandkids and I would think she is capable of taking care of herself. The reaction of the cop was priceless as I thought he was going to kill the osha woman by the look in his eyes. I called Salem and talked at length to them about this. ( when osha showed up i asked what my rights were and the state police read me my Miranda rights) you have zero rights as a owner in your business.  They can open, go through anything, fridge, cabinets,  anything. You have no rights. I questioned him on this and his response was, " we are nice people and would never get carried away" I  could talk for hours as I have apartments, Comercial buildings, heavy equipment,trucking  logging equipment, wildfire equipment and support on contract,  mess around with property development,  getting ready to build another rental facility on the valley and have been dealing with the long list of regulation involved with that.  I just sold several of my apartments and will be getting rid of all the rest as I'm tired of all the crap involved and will not build any more. You wonder why there is a housing shortage In the valley?  It's directly tied to high regulation,  which is tied to high cost of development,  which coupled to low rents, coupled to low wages, tied to high regulation keeping good paying jobs out of the valley equals me being done!!!!!! Building housing!! I could hire more people if I want to with all the things I/we do ( I have a brother as a partner for the last thirty years) but we refuse.!!!  It's not worth the crap!!!  I make a very good living ( far above the average here)  and I don't need to put up with all the crap so I refuse to hire more people.  As I said go talk to business people... talk to the local rock pit, the construction company, the engineers,  the local coffee shop, flower shop, bakery,trucking outfit, mechanic,  etc etc etc.  Talk to owners and you will have your answer.  Cheers

When I think about government regulation I think of the EPA, Wildlife agencies, Department of Agriculture, Water Resources, building inspectors, code enforcement and the many government agencies that try to keep us safe and keep the things we use from hurting us or the environment. 

I have been through a few OSHA inspections myself and they were not all that bad. Perhaps your mistrust of government is part of the issue too. I like the fact that there are building codes and standards that must be adhered to. It is why this country is not a third world country. 

I also recognize some overkill in the regulations of some regulatory agencies. Laws and rules need to make sense and accomplish something and when they don't they should be repealed. However, a totally deregulated country would be a disaster.

I don't see anyone pushing for total deregulation, but I see lot on the left that are fine with the continued expansion of the regulatory state. ( yes it has expanded under Obama and others I might add) You bring up building regulation as a example. I have a business friend that grew up here and then moved to Arkansas as a contractor. I visited him regularly ( in the 90's)and he had a large house on a beautiful golf course.( he built the club house there) In the county they had no permits required other then septic. He took me in several large houses (5000 square +)
Zero inspections/ permits. The houses were strictly between him and the home owner. ( beautiful houses) he has now moved back there again this year(he had come back to oregon) and fired all the guys that worked for him here. Why? Sick of the crap!!!! Oregon is one of the worst places in the country as far as building, land use etc. The area he moved back to has a average income of 90,000 plus per year. Compare that to here. Why is ours so low???? I never said I had a mistrust of government, but everyone should have a healthy mistrust of government. ( read what our founding fathers had to say on this. They were very clear) another huge issue brought about by all this regulation is the rise of crony capitalism. Huge problems with this as business uses rules and regulations to crush their competitors passed by the crooked politicians. ( and no the fix is not more regulation to " stop" this, the fix is throwing the corrupt politician out of office as they are the only ones that pass laws, business does not) look at the history of the epipen if you want a great example of this in action. I am not in favor of no regulations, standards are needed. As I said go talk to business and you will have your answer. ( go talk to a local rock pit and they will give you a earful about osha runamuck) showing up at my one person office is them totally runamuck. you have no idea how much time and taxpayer money was wasted by this stop. Two stops to me,not including the court order from a judge and a state trooper. The report sent to her superior and then sent back to her with recommended changes. Then the final sent back to superior again and then sent to me with a visit from her again to go over the report. Me then having 20 days to submit my corrections to her to fix my " wrong" doings and her then to submit and file the report God knows where. After all this it boiled down to safety meeting with one office employee with her very best suggestion of what to talk about being properly hydrated!! It's out of control!! Go talk to business owners ! I cannot stress this enough if you really want to know the truth. Every single penny that funds this country ultimately comes from a business and with them under attack with the stress of over regulation that ultimately does not bode well for the country. As I stated before. As as successful small business person in this area that makes way above the average in this area, I refuse to hire or put more people to work as it is not worth the crap!!! This is something the left just can't understand. What is the point of hiring people if there is no or little financial gain for me? In your personal life working for someone, would you work longer more complicated hours for no financial gain?Of course not! Why should I? What is the number one killer of jobs? (Other then a poor economy) over regulation, red tape, high taxes, ( and taxes are another source of regulation just look at how complicated the tax code is) and all this contributes to a slow economy. As I said befor,I refuse!!! To build more housing in this area ( apartments) as there is very little gain to be had for all the crap to be put up with. My arguments stay the same for local ,state, or fed, regulations, just scale the size of business up. Go talk to the local business owners if you want a true answer to what over regulation does. Those that have never been in business I can assure you do not understand and will truly never understand unless they run their own business how incredibly frustrating it can be. You need to talk to many different owners as some businesses are far far more frustrating in the regulation area then others.Example Take a look at a small logging, trucking, rock pit, operation for example. Many of these people have hundreds of thousands and in some cases millions in equipment (these are small operations) all to scrape out a living in this area.. think about it. What would are area be like with all these businesses and for that matter all business in this area not around?? It's amazing the spirit of people that continue to try and make a go of business here with all the crap that goes on here and many other places . I'm 50 now and set financially ( and started from nothing!!!) I would never start here if I were a young man again as there is far better places in this country to do well money wise then here. And why would I not start here?? It's not business friendly! Over regulation! Cheers after thought, what does that permit " buy" you? They tell you how to build it, you pay them for that and they inspect it and say it's good and what happens if things go wrong??? They have zero, none, nothing!!! As far as responsibly goes. Try that in the private sector and see what happens.

(01-09-2017, 03:09 AM)capitalist pig Wrote:

Anyone help, here?

I don't see anyone pushing for total deregulation,  but I see lot on the left that are fine with the continued expansion of the regulatory state.  ( yes it has expanded under Obama and others I might add)    You bring up building regulation as a example.  I have a business friend that grew up here and then moved to Arkansas as a contractor.  I visited him regularly ( in the 90's)and he had a large house on a beautiful golf course.( he built the club house there)   In the county they had no permits required other then septic.  He took me in several large houses (5000 square +)  
Zero inspections/ permits. The houses were strictly between him and the home owner. ( beautiful houses)  he has now moved back there again  this year(he had come back to oregon) and fired all the guys that worked for him here. Why?  Sick of the crap!!!!  Oregon is one of the worst places in the country as far as building, land use etc.  The area he moved back to has a average income of 90,000 plus per year.  Compare that to here. Why is ours so low???? I never said I had a mistrust of government, but everyone should have a healthy mistrust of government.  (  read what our founding fathers had to say on this. They were very clear) another huge issue brought about by all this regulation  is the rise of crony capitalism.  Huge problems with this as business uses rules and regulations to crush their competitors passed by the crooked politicians.  ( and no the fix is not more regulation to " stop" this, the fix is throwing the corrupt politician out of office as they are the only ones that pass laws, business does not) look at the history of the epipen if you want a great example of this in action.  I am not in favor of no regulations,  standards are needed.   As I said go talk to business and you will have your answer.  ( go talk to a local rock pit and they will give you a earful about osha runamuck)  showing up at my one person office is them totally runamuck.  you have no idea how much time and taxpayer money was wasted by this stop. Two stops to me,not including the court order from a judge and a state trooper. The report sent to her superior and then sent back to her with recommended changes. Then the final sent back to superior again and then sent to me with a visit from her again to go over the report. Me then having 20 days to submit my corrections to her to fix my " wrong" doings and her then to submit and file the report God knows where.  After all this it boiled down to safety meeting with one office employee with her very best suggestion of what to talk about being properly hydrated!!   It's out of control!! Go talk to business owners !  I cannot stress this enough if you really want to know the truth. Every single penny that funds this country ultimately comes from a business and with them under attack with the stress of over regulation that ultimately does not bode well for the country.   As I stated before. As as successful small business person in this area that makes way above the average in this area, I refuse to hire or put more people to work as it is not worth the crap!!! This is something the left just can't understand. What is the point of hiring people if there is no or little financial gain for me?  In your personal life working for someone, would you work longer more complicated hours for no financial gain?Of course not! Why should I? What is the number one killer of jobs? (Other then a poor economy) over regulation, red tape, high taxes, ( and taxes are another source of regulation just look at how complicated the tax code is) and all this contributes to a slow economy.  As I said befor,I refuse!!! To build more housing in this area ( apartments) as there is very little gain to be had for all the crap to be put up with. My arguments stay the same for local ,state, or fed, regulations,  just scale the size of business up.    Go talk to the local business owners if you want a true answer to what over regulation does. Those that have never been in business I can assure you do not understand and will truly never understand unless they run their own business how incredibly frustrating it can be. You need to talk to many different owners as some businesses are far far more frustrating in the regulation area then others.Example  Take a look at a small logging, trucking,  rock pit, operation for example.  Many of these people have hundreds of thousands and in some cases millions in equipment (these are small operations) all to scrape out a living in this area..  think about it. What would are area be like with all these businesses and for that matter all business in this area not around??   It's  amazing the spirit of people that continue to try and make a go of business here with all the crap that goes on here and many other places . I'm 50 now and set financially  ( and started from nothing!!!)  I would never start here if I were a young man again as there is far better places in this country to do well money wise then here.  And why would I not start here?? It's not business friendly!    Over regulation!    Cheers       after thought, what does that permit " buy" you?    They tell you how to build it, you pay them for that and they inspect it and say it's good and what happens if things go wrong???  They have zero,  none, nothing!!! As far as responsibly goes.  Try that in the private sector and see what happens.  

I appricate your taking time to respond in full to this. 
However, reading your lengthily reply (a good thing) I see generalizations and nothing specic about how stripping regualtions from MANY of our government agencies will save us the "billions of dollars" Trump and others have suggested. 
The couple of things you described above are anecdotal and don't really speak the the issue of federal deregulation. 
You are a builder. I wonder if you could list three government regulations you feel are unnecessary and would reduce the cost of the buildings you erect.
(01-09-2017, 12:06 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(01-09-2017, 03:09 AM)capitalist pig Wrote:

Anyone help, here?

I don't see anyone pushing for total deregulation,  but I see lot on the left that are fine with the continued expansion of the regulatory state.  ( yes it has expanded under Obama and others I might add)    You bring up building regulation as a example.  I have a business friend that grew up here and then moved to Arkansas as a contractor.  I visited him regularly ( in the 90's)and he had a large house on a beautiful golf course.( he built the club house there)   In the county they had no permits required other then septic.  He took me in several large houses (5000 square +)  
Zero inspections/ permits. The houses were strictly between him and the home owner. ( beautiful houses)  he has now moved back there again  this year(he had come back to oregon) and fired all the guys that worked for him here. Why?  Sick of the crap!!!!  Oregon is one of the worst places in the country as far as building, land use etc.  The area he moved back to has a average income of 90,000 plus per year.  Compare that to here. Why is ours so low???? I never said I had a mistrust of government, but everyone should have a healthy mistrust of government.  (  read what our founding fathers had to say on this. They were very clear) another huge issue brought about by all this regulation  is the rise of crony capitalism.  Huge problems with this as business uses rules and regulations to crush their competitors passed by the crooked politicians.  ( and no the fix is not more regulation to " stop" this, the fix is throwing the corrupt politician out of office as they are the only ones that pass laws, business does not) look at the history of the epipen if you want a great example of this in action.  I am not in favor of no regulations,  standards are needed.   As I said go talk to business and you will have your answer.  ( go talk to a local rock pit and they will give you a earful about osha runamuck)  showing up at my one person office is them totally runamuck.  you have no idea how much time and taxpayer money was wasted by this stop. Two stops to me,not including the court order from a judge and a state trooper. The report sent to her superior and then sent back to her with recommended changes. Then the final sent back to superior again and then sent to me with a visit from her again to go over the report. Me then having 20 days to submit my corrections to her to fix my " wrong" doings and her then to submit and file the report God knows where.  After all this it boiled down to safety meeting with one office employee with her very best suggestion of what to talk about being properly hydrated!!   It's out of control!! Go talk to business owners !  I cannot stress this enough if you really want to know the truth. Every single penny that funds this country ultimately comes from a business and with them under attack with the stress of over regulation that ultimately does not bode well for the country.   As I stated before. As as successful small business person in this area that makes way above the average in this area, I refuse to hire or put more people to work as it is not worth the crap!!! This is something the left just can't understand. What is the point of hiring people if there is no or little financial gain for me?  In your personal life working for someone, would you work longer more complicated hours for no financial gain?Of course not! Why should I? What is the number one killer of jobs? (Other then a poor economy) over regulation, red tape, high taxes, ( and taxes are another source of regulation just look at how complicated the tax code is) and all this contributes to a slow economy.  As I said befor,I refuse!!! To build more housing in this area ( apartments) as there is very little gain to be had for all the crap to be put up with. My arguments stay the same for local ,state, or fed, regulations,  just scale the size of business up.    Go talk to the local business owners if you want a true answer to what over regulation does. Those that have never been in business I can assure you do not understand and will truly never understand unless they run their own business how incredibly frustrating it can be. You need to talk to many different owners as some businesses are far far more frustrating in the regulation area then others.Example  Take a look at a small logging, trucking,  rock pit, operation for example.  Many of these people have hundreds of thousands and in some cases millions in equipment (these are small operations) all to scrape out a living in this area..  think about it. What would are area be like with all these businesses and for that matter all business in this area not around??   It's  amazing the spirit of people that continue to try and make a go of business here with all the crap that goes on here and many other places . I'm 50 now and set financially  ( and started from nothing!!!)  I would never start here if I were a young man again as there is far better places in this country to do well money wise then here.  And why would I not start here?? It's not business friendly!    Over regulation!    Cheers       after thought, what does that permit " buy" you?    They tell you how to build it, you pay them for that and they inspect it and say it's good and what happens if things go wrong???  They have zero,  none, nothing!!! As far as responsibly goes.  Try that in the private sector and see what happens.  

I appricate your taking time to respond in full to this. 
However, reading your lengthily reply (a good thing) I see generalizations and nothing specic about how stripping regualtions from MANY of our government agencies will save us the "billions of dollars" Trump and others have suggested. 
The couple of things you described above are anecdotal and don't really speak the the issue of federal deregulation. 
You are a builder. I wonder if you could list three government regulations you feel are unnecessary and would reduce the cost of the buildings you erect.
Good morning I can , but am busy right now. I will give you a real world example on a project right down the street in r.r. you can go and look at when I have time. Like I said go talk to business owners such as me, ( you know my feelings) and you will find your answer. I don't understated why you don't take the time to talk to the people in the trenches. As I mentioned before a few weeks back I had lunch down at the footsCreek market and ran into the owner of a larger construction company up the road. ( hint I think you can figure out who I'm talking about) guess what the topic at lunch was? Go talk to people!!! Go see this outfit and just ask for a minute of his time and get his opinion. This stuff all up scales up on a national level . I don't understand why you don't see the concept of talking to business people. Call the chamber of commerce here and get their opinion. Talking to anyone with no experience in business is like talking to your accountant about a heart problem. You don't do that, you talk to the doctor. Watch and read business TV, books, magazines, opeds by business people it's all there in black and white. I don't know what else to say, I know what business will tell you. Go check it out. As I said before I won't build Apts anymore!! It's not because I don't have the capital, it' s because of very low return on my capital caused by over regulation. I don't what to deal with the crap it's not worth it to me. Real world example at play here, there is a housing shortage here. Why?? The left will tell you one thing, and the guys doing it will tell you another. Who do you think is correct? The guy with the money in play, or the left telling you what the issue is and wanting to fix the problem with other people's money. Think about it. Go talk to local people that have their money in play. Cheers

Lol you are distracting me from the job at hand. I was at evergreen bank last week and ran into Herman and had a conversation about this exact thing. Call him he is our rep and a business owner.
http://www.oregonlegislature.gov/baertschiger
Call his office and ask him about this issue. Talk to the people that do business!!! Am I clear on this. Cheers

Not to quote that big ass statement from capitalist pig.
But I wonder how he feels about impact fees, which only cover about half the cost that new construction cost everybody else. (somebody has to pay for road improvements, water and sewage pipes, increased cost to fire and police,etc)

I know some contractors bitch about these fees, they would rather keep the money in their pocket and stick it to the rest of the community.
(01-09-2017, 01:55 PM)chuck white Wrote: Not to quote that big ass statement from capitalist pig.
But I wonder how he feels about impact fees, which only cover about half the cost that new construction cost everybody else. (somebody has to pay for road improvements, water and sewage pipes, increased cost to fire and police,etc)

I know some contractors bitch about these fees, they would rather keep the money in their pocket and stick it to the rest of the community.
It's another issue and a valid one, but not the topic here. Some of these fees are out of control because of over regulation, some are not, but again I don't what to go down that road as I don't have the time. Wonky you are asking the wrong people in the original post. You go wrong talking to the right or left, talk to business owners they are the ones at play here. Remember chuck it's not one sided, those benefits, benefit all. Last time I checked when a contractor pays for these things many others use the sidewalks, waterline etc etc. Right now a buddy of mine is being told that in order to do his project he will need to upgrade the water line to benefit all those in the area ( 100,000 estimate at this time) even though his project will use far less water then a household. ( r.r. hyw project if you are clever enough you could figure this out as it is grinding through the city right now) cheers

For protection from falling water heaters they are required to be fastened securely to the wall. And I believe you MUST have  a factory made UL approved device to do so.

A lot if not all of 549C elementary schools and possibly high schools have the small short ones in class rooms in the bottom of cabinets.. under the counter.

You guess it, These also have to be secured even though they can't possibly fall and hurt someone in an earthquake.

This seemed trivial? Multiply it by tens of thousands. And this is just one one many examples I could give.