Thank You Meryl Streep
(01-08-2017, 11:23 PM)Valuesize Wrote:

That speech made me squirm. It's not that I disagree with what she said, I just makes me uncomfortable in an empathetic sort of way listening to it. I am not a big fan of political speeches  delivered at award shows.
I thought it was very well done.
Did you catch Hugh Laurie's speech?
Nothing worse than the hollywood elite soap boxing at an awards show. Accept your award, say thank you and sit the hell down. But that's just me.
(01-09-2017, 08:47 AM)GPnative Wrote: Nothing worse than the hollywood elite soap boxing at an awards show. Accept your award, say thank you and sit the hell down. But that's just me.
Actually...
What is worse?
The Pres-Elect of the USA tweet-whining incessantly. And lying about his recorded actions... that the World has viewed.
[Image: b90a31b4c8e30a824664508d06e5966b.jpg]
(01-09-2017, 09:34 AM)Scrapper Wrote:
(01-09-2017, 08:47 AM)GPnative Wrote: Nothing worse than the hollywood elite soap boxing at an awards show. Accept your award, say thank you and sit the hell down. But that's just me.
Actually...
What is worse?
The Pres-Elect of the USA tweet-whining incessantly.  And lying about his recorded actions... that the World has viewed.

She's free to soap box, he is free to tweet.....tis the world we live in. I could care less about his tweeting, mainly because I am not on twitter and the only "tweets" of his I ever hear anything about is the constant whining about them that happens here.
(01-09-2017, 10:17 AM)GPnative Wrote:
Actually...
What is worse?
The Pres-Elect of the USA tweet-whining incessantly.  And lying about his recorded actions... that the World has viewed.

She's free to soap box, he is free to tweet.....tis the world we live in. I could care less about his tweeting, mainly because I am not on twitter and the only "tweets" of his I ever hear anything about is the constant whining about them that happens here.

Your words:
"Nothing worse than the hollywood elite soap boxing at an awards show."
My words explained what actually is worse... much worse.
(01-09-2017, 10:46 AM)Scrapper Wrote:
Actually...
What is worse?

Your words:

Yes, I was just pointing out that while we both think these things rate high on the "worse" scale, they are free to do it so not much for us to do but tune it out, which is what I choose to do. I wouldn't watch the Golden Globes if it was literally the only thing on TV for a week and I was snowed in.
(01-09-2017, 11:39 AM)GPnative Wrote:
Actually...
What is worse?

Your words:

Yes, I was just pointing out that while we both think these things rate high on the "worse" scale, they are free to do it so not much for us to do but tune it out, which is what I choose to do. I wouldn't watch the Golden Globes if it was literally the only thing on TV for a week and I was snowed in.

I find myself agreeing with you, and yet Im not sure I understand my own feelings.  Embarrassed

Actors are, after all, citizens and should have a voice. But on the other hand they are kind of "special, or privileged" citizens  who may be able to influence lots of other people. The problem being, they don't necessary bring any special awarness to the table and we have no way of knowing just how tuned in and knowledgeable about political/social/government stuff that might make their voices important. 

As oppossed to political pundits who study, watch, and parse the stuff that politicans spew most of the time. I'd rather consider the voices of George Will, David Books, Amy Goodman and others who know "the lay of the land". 

So I agree, "accept your award, say thank you, ackowledge the folks who made it possible, and get off the stage. 

AND: I don't much enjoy actors who use the time to promote Native American issues, Against The War tirades, and Black Lives Matter kind of stuff when receiving awards.  Just me, but I've felt that way for a long time. (Remember Brando ranting on and on about the American Indians...He should have laid off rich deserts and given the money to the Tribe)
(01-09-2017, 11:58 AM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(01-09-2017, 11:39 AM)GPnative Wrote:
(01-09-2017, 09:34 AM)Scrapper Wrote: Actually...
What is worse?

Your words:

I find myself agreeing with you, and yet Im not sure I understand my own feelings.  Embarrassed

Actors are, after all, citizens and should have a voice. But on the other hand they are kind of "special, or privileged" citizens  who may be able to influence lots of other people. The problem being, they don't necessary bring any special awarness to the table and we have no way of knowing just how tuned in and knowledgeable about political/social/government stuff that might make their voices important. 

As oppossed to political pundits who study, watch, and parse the stuff that politicans spew most of the time. I'd rather consider the voices of George Will, David Books, Amy Goodman and others who know "the lay of the land". 

So I agree, "accept your award, say thank you, ackowledge the folks who made it possible, and get off the stage. 

AND: I don't much enjoy actors who use the time to promote Native American issues, Against The War tirades, and Black Lives Matter kind of stuff when receiving awards.  Just me, but I've felt that way for a long time. (Remember Brando ranting on and on about the American Indians...He should have laid off rich deserts and given the money to the Tribe)

Imagine, you are being honored for a lifetime of achievement in your craft.  Voted on by peers and/or fans (depending on the award show) for your tireless efforts in being the best of the best at what you do.  Where should you focus your acceptance speech on?  Thanking those who think enough of you to honor you?  Thanking your family for helping you get there?  Or ignore all of them and delve into your personal opinion of politics...........  I agree with both of you, and.... I don't watch those award shows EVER.
What should we expect, she gave a standing ovation to roman polanski, a child rapist.
[Image: 15894569_1218663221502043_75430113395645...e=59199E9F]
Actually...
What is worse?

I have mixed feelings about political sentiments at awards shows.  But I have stronger feelings about the President  Elect reacting.  He's such a child!
(01-09-2017, 07:34 PM)Juniper Wrote:
Actually...
What is worse?

I have mixed feelings about political sentiments at awards shows.  But I have stronger feelings about the President  Elect reacting.  He's such a child!

It seems only slightly more than half of us have this opinion. His wife is on our side too, she said so.  Eyebrows

“Sometimes I said I have two boys at home — I have my young son and I have my husband.” 
[Image: 15966046_1238343409547867_44181366753164...e=58D75122]
[Image: 15966300_548760715318960_150433170374593...e=58D618DE]
Considering idiots like her, rich straight and white, make up a YUGE part of Hollywood movies and tv shows, we really won't be missing much if it all goes away. American sports overall have a good size population of foreign athletes, so the diversity lies within the sports field not the playing fake people field.
(01-09-2017, 07:46 PM)Valuesize Wrote: [quote pid='386439' dateline='1484015666']

“Sometimes I said I have two boys at home — I have my young son and I have my husband.” 

[/quote]

Laughing Laughing Laughing   Joked no other wife and mother of a boy, EVER....  LMFAO.  You are a buffoon.
(01-10-2017, 11:36 AM)Hugo Wrote:
(01-09-2017, 07:46 PM)Valuesize Wrote: [quote pid='386439' dateline='1484015666']

Laughing Laughing Laughing   Joked no other wife and mother of a boy, EVER....  LMFAO.  You are a buffoon.
[/quote]

Their ship has sank and no one threw them a life vest, so they grasp at the plankton fed to them by their handlers from the life boats. Or this is what you get when the bottom feeders come up to the top.