Open Letter to Capitalist Pig (And Others?)
We have have some good and lively discussions about the "better qualities" of those more conservative in thought (as compared to those more liberal) and the outcome in accumulating wealth as opposed to those who would tax to provide a safety net for those who fall through the cracks. 

Recently I've been binge watching some past episodes of "The West Wing" (Lazy...Taking a break from reading). A character in one episode is attempting to explain his "progressive" tax policy and makes reference to John Rawls. Curious, I looked it up and thought you might find it interesting. (Warning: It leads one into the past, the Age of Enlightenment and it's "social contract" theory of that group of bright thinkers). 

Just a thought, but beats the one-liners both of us so often toss out. Thank the gods for those who came before us and left us with the blessings of their hard work and gifted intellect. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Theory_of_Justice

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veil_of_ignorance
Thanks Wonk. Interesting ideas and logically reasoned.

I sometimes wonder if being politically apathetic, like some of my younger friends isn't the the path to happiness. A few of my friends said they are happy without politics interfering in their lives, and they are happy. Ignorance is often a choice.
(02-11-2017, 01:37 PM)cletus1 Wrote: Thanks Wonk. Interesting ideas and logically reasoned.

I sometimes wonder if being politically apathetic, like some of my younger friends isn't the the path to happiness. A few of my friends said they are happy without politics interfering in their lives, and they are happy. Ignorance is often a choice.

Yep. It's said "ignorance is bliss". I outta be the happiest guy in the valley.  Wink

Fact is, politics is the life blood of our freedoms and it's hard to understand how we can be responsible to our civic duties without at least some information and involvement in politics. 

What I don't know about the political functions of our government would fill volumes. I try to have a basic understanding of the forces that influence the polices that effect our lives, and they all seem to come from political action of some sort. 

It's also said that 80% of success is just showing up. We should do that. Not only showing up to vote, but being prepared to vote for those things that promote our beliefs. And sometimes, "The lesser of two evils".