And The Truth Shall Set Us Free
(02-20-2017, 03:12 PM)Hugo Wrote:
(02-20-2017, 03:05 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(02-20-2017, 11:04 AM)Scrapper Wrote:

Perfect. That nitwit didn't deserve to be heard.

Because some free speech/thought simply cannot be tolerated.....  Very Orwellian of you.

No just like I said That nitwit didn't deserve to be heard anymore than idiot conspiracy theorists blabbing about chem trails.

The man ALREADY gave his stupid opinion that what they were talking about was a fake news story. So it looked clear to me that he only wanted to repeat himself when he was cut off.

As a side note the guy or anyone who loves to say  "at the end of the day" too often should be slapped silly.
(02-20-2017, 03:12 PM)Hugo Wrote:
(02-20-2017, 03:05 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(02-20-2017, 11:04 AM)Scrapper Wrote:

Perfect. That nitwit didn't deserve to be heard.

Because some free speech/thought simply cannot be tolerated.....  Very Orwellian of you.

I think this is a good example of the tension we are going to face in the future about "fake news" and what we can depend on as legitimate reports of actual events. 
I think the host (Don Lemon) did a pretty good job of making clear what "Fake news" is as compared to reporting that is simply inaccurate or the journalist being mislead and then correcting the story. (We can listen to his comments on the video). 
We can't simply declare news to be "fake" just because we don't agree with it. 
In the coming days, it will increasingly important for us to be diligent in taking care to compare and analyze news sources to find the reports of actual events. 

Our world has changed. "Fake News" goes back to the very first reporting available. The difference is that now our news cycle is near immediate and the "noise" of the conflict in what we hear and see is so rapid it makes it difficult to absorb and learn before we repeat it. It's our responsibility to learn what what we can trust, and that requires the ability to compare and analyze various sources. 

A personal note: If I have to be labeled, I guess I'm "a Liberal". But, I don't waste time watching Racheal Maddow. I don't accuse her of reporting "fake news" but her "reporting" is biased and she shapes the narrative of her reports to favor only the liberal view of any story she presents. MSNBC in general, is not careful in reporting even-handed news. FOX news, is guilty of the same bias but from a different perspective. CNN is a bit more balanced if we discard the editorial views they present. I think TV news, in general, is suspect and I don't watch much of it. I do watch the PBS Newshour and if it has a liberal bias it is very slight and when interviewing they almost always have people from "both sides" of a point of view. I think the PBS "Frontline" series is the best in-depth special reporting on TV. 

Not easy stuff. Citizenship has never been easy, and now more then ever, we have to dig through a lot more media to find good information. 

"Fake News" is just that. It's our job to recognize it.