Movies Movies Movies
Too late. We are watching Mall Cop as I type. Suitable for the pre teen crowd.
TennisMom Wrote:Since my DD and her family arrived, we've been watching quite a few Netflix programs and a few Blockbuster DVDs. Their taste doesn't always gel with ours but we are tolerant. So are they when we put our 'old fogey' stuff on. Happy

This past week, we were treated to "Mall Cop". Do yourself a favor and skip this one. :wacko:
We also got "Mongol". Not bad but very slow.
"Max Payne". Seriously, skip this one. Run, don't walk, to the nearest exit. (We only survived a half-hour of it. Blech.) :wacko:
"Taken" with Liam Neeson. So-so. Typical of the genre.
"In Bruges" was better than I thought it would be.

We've been watching a lot of British tv series. "1940s House" was excellent. Now we are into "The Cazalets", which is very engaging.

"Clatterford" is an English, quirky comedy series with Jennifer Saunders and Joanna Lumley (AbFab). It is very funny. We're waiting for the next disc to arrive at Netflix.

Are there any movies out there that don't have space aliens, man-eating zombies, loud special effects and car chases? Let me now when there are and maybe the DH and I will venture into a movie theater.

No, nothing worth going out for. We have been passing around the video of Larry and the goat, but even that gets boring after awhile.
WKYonc Wrote:
TennisMom Wrote:Since my DD and her family arrived, we've been watching quite a few Netflix programs and a few Blockbuster DVDs. Their taste doesn't always gel with ours but we are tolerant. So are they when we put our 'old fogey' stuff on. Happy

This past week, we were treated to "Mall Cop". Do yourself a favor and skip this one. :wacko:
We also got "Mongol". Not bad but very slow.
"Max Payne". Seriously, skip this one. Run, don't walk, to the nearest exit. (We only survived a half-hour of it. Blech.) :wacko:
"Taken" with Liam Neeson. So-so. Typical of the genre.
"In Bruges" was better than I thought it would be.

We've been watching a lot of British tv series. "1940s House" was excellent. Now we are into "The Cazalets", which is very engaging.

"Clatterford" is an English, quirky comedy series with Jennifer Saunders and Joanna Lumley (AbFab). It is very funny. We're waiting for the next disc to arrive at Netflix.

Are there any movies out there that don't have space aliens, man-eating zombies, loud special effects and car chases? Let me now when there are and maybe the DH and I will venture into a movie theater.

No, nothing worth going out for. We have been passing around the video of Larry and the goat, but even that gets boring after awhile.
The sequel, Larry and his Ewe of Plenty, is that rare moment when the clouds part and love is in the air. Especially poignant in reverse.
"A Modest Proposal" to steal a line from Johnathan Swift.

It is said by many critics that Citizen Kane, Casablanca, Raging Bull, The Godfather(s), and maybe Lawrence of Arabia, were great films by any standard.

No doubt.

In our local discussion of "Movies, Movies, Movies", I think we need a frame of reference that shows a broader view of our reflections on what movies mean to us.

So, I wonder if we were to list five (5) films that represent those reflections, we might present a more complete snapshot of what we look for in "fiction on the screen". I would suggest we omit the "blockbuster" films (The Godfather(s) for instance) that might be obvious to most. I'd also suggest we don't include "pure art films" that are obscure and seen only if one was in New York the week it played somewhere in SOHO.

These discussions always include the argument about genre's. How can we compare The Pink Panther to Saving Private Ryan? I'd suggest we simply ignore this and list five films that for one reason or another we liked enough to recommend HIGHLY to others who enjoy movies.

Because I post this, I don't want to list "my five". If there is any interest in this kind of "more thoughtful" way of discussing movies, I'll offer up my opinions in due time.

I really enjoy fiction. Novels, or movies, I find real interest in the movement of plot and characters that I don't experience in daily life.

So, anyone wanna play?
I'll play. But I think I will put a variation on it, for my own sake as I get kind of overwhelmed thinking of all the movies I've seen and naming just 5.....there's a lot. So, I'll name 5 I've seen in the last 10 or so years that I thought were in this kind of category: Sling Blade. Crash. Eternal Sunshine of the spotless mind, Pan's Labyrinth. Life is Beautiful. I tried, but I really don't come up with 5 in a lifetime.
Five huh? Sounds well intriquing. I Am Legend, Waterworld,Sling Blade, The Black Stallion,Whale Rider. Aaaahh I could name more but these are the one five Confused I came up with aaahhhh variety is the spice of life.
Who recommended the movie Taken? Come on fess up.
That movie was unremarkable. In fact it was dumb as hell.

Five movies that I liked:

A Clockwork Orange
A Beautiful Mind
2001 A Space Odyssey (for its time)
Slaughterhouse Five
Sling Blade

I'll think of more.
Cool hand Luke

The Hustler

To kill a mockingbird

one flew over the cu cu's nest

Moby Dick

Blue velvet

Bring me the head of Alfredo Garcia

Unforgivin, good bad & the ugly, High noon, the big country

Burbs

Tommy boy

Uncle Buck

Blazing saddles

Planes trains and automobiles

Blues brothers...the first

Saving Private Ryan

The usual suspects

The last Samurai

Jaws five Razz
I mostly enjoy comedies. Here's a short list...

Raising Arizona
Soap Dish
Princess Bride
Pulp Fiction
Reservoir Dogs.................................yeah right!!
Comedies:

Blazing Saddles
Caveman
Monty Python / The Search For The Holy Grail
Young Frankenstein
My Fellow Americans

Drama:

Ninth Configuration
Red Dawn
The Patriot
Windtalkers
Gran Torino
True Lies
Last of the Mohicans
Second Hand Lion
The Color Purple
Lonesome Dove (miniseries and worth all 6 1/2 hours - 8 with commercials)

Some others have mentioned which would be high on my list are Red Dawn, Sling Blade, Saving Private Ryan, and Raising Arizona.
Second Hand Lion!! I love that movie.
Fish named Wanda
Cat Ballou. What a classic with Lee Marvin.

Speaking of Lee Marvin....
Dirty Dozen
Paint Your Wagon.

Lets not talk about Clint Eastman. I need to start dinner. He makes me weak in the knees and I may burn myself.
Moving on to another decade or so back....Apocalypse Now, Aliens, Amadeus, Platoon. Mad Max.
APPLEGATE Wrote:Second Hand Lion!! I love that movie.
Fish Called Wanda

Dirty Dozen
Paint Your Wagon.

Lets not talk about Clint Eastwood. I need to start dinner. He makes me weak in the knees and I may burn myself.
Razz
Larry Wrote:
Fish Called Wanda

Dirty Dozen
Paint Your Wagon.

Lets not talk about Clint Eastwood. I need to start dinner. He makes me weak in the knees and I may burn myself.
Razz

Unsure Oh, that's right I a retard. Thank you Larry.
APPLEGATE Wrote:
Larry Wrote:
Fish Called Wanda

Dirty Dozen
Paint Your Wagon.

Razz

Unsure Oh, that's right I a retard. Thank you Larry.
Laughing
Hey! You spelled Ballou right! I woulda stumbled on that one.....
Hey speaking of the great Lee Marvin, I just remembered this Movie, I loved it.

[Image: emperorofnorth.jpg]
I was surprised to see two different people say Red Dawn was one of their favorite movies? To each his own but I though everything about it was lame.

So just wondering if I missed something I looked at some reviews and found this.... Perhaps it wasn't the movie but the message that makes some like this?

As a slab of paranoid, right wing propaganda, no film will ever top Red Dawn. Released in the same year as Reaganâ??s re-election campaign, the film was no doubt intended as a cautionary tale for lazy, complacent liberals who thought the Soviets werenâ??t a real threat to our way of life. The film opens with a political context, and we read that in West Germany, â??Greensâ? have been elected with the sole mission of removing nuclear weapons from that country. From this I must assume that environmentalist wackos are being held accountable for the loss of Europe, if not the world, to Lenin and his cronies. More than that, though, this film is the greatest example of an NRA recruitment piece that I have ever seen. â??See,â? the filmmakers seem to be saying, â??without individual gun ownership those kids never could have fought back and the nation would have been lost!â? The film even states that when the Commies set up their bases, the first people they seek out for extermination are those with guns. One of the colonels says that since their names are recorded, they will be easy to find. Get it? We must eliminate background checks and gun registration or else the Commies will know who we are! From all accounts, the Second Amendment was written just for this very purpose; so that when the evildoers come for our wheat, we can take up arms and save civilization. After all, if the bombs fall and the armies are tied up elsewhere, who else will kill those red sons-a-bitches?
tvguy Wrote:Hey speaking of the great Lee Marvin, I just remembered this Movie, I loved it.

[Image: emperorofnorth.jpg]
Death Hunt with Charles Bronson.
tvguy Wrote:I was surprised to see two different people say Red Dawn was one of their favorite movies? To each his own but I though everything about it was lame.

So just wondering if I missed something I looked at some reviews and found this.... Perhaps it wasn't the movie but the message that makes some like this?

As a slab of paranoid, right wing propaganda, no film will ever top Red Dawn. Released in the same year as Reaganâ??s re-election campaign, the film was no doubt intended as a cautionary tale for lazy, complacent liberals who thought the Soviets werenâ??t a real threat to our way of life. The film opens with a political context, and we read that in West Germany, â??Greensâ? have been elected with the sole mission of removing nuclear weapons from that country. From this I must assume that environmentalist wackos are being held accountable for the loss of Europe, if not the world, to Lenin and his cronies. More than that, though, this film is the greatest example of an NRA recruitment piece that I have ever seen. â??See,â? the filmmakers seem to be saying, â??without individual gun ownership those kids never could have fought back and the nation would have been lost!â? The film even states that when the Commies set up their bases, the first people they seek out for extermination are those with guns. One of the colonels says that since their names are recorded, they will be easy to find. Get it? We must eliminate background checks and gun registration or else the Commies will know who we are! From all accounts, the Second Amendment was written just for this very purpose; so that when the evildoers come for our wheat, we can take up arms and save civilization. After all, if the bombs fall and the armies are tied up elsewhere, who else will kill those red sons-a-bitches?
Laughing Laughing

I have to ask... WHERE did you get this review?