Movies Movies Movies
I'll show you Larry but that was not the first thing I've read about this movie being Propaganda.

Now I know what made you that way you are Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
http://www.ruthlessreviews.com/1190/red-dawn

Red Dawn was the first EVER movie to be rated PG.
tvguy Wrote:I'll show you Larry but that was not the first thing I've read about this movie being Propaganda.

Although I admit to being FOR the Americans in the movie, (weren't YOU?) and will even admit to enjoying subliminally the fact that it was easier for "our" side to defend themselves, MY liking the movie was based on the fact that it made a believable premise. The types of movies and books that catch my attention ussually accomplish it with the viability of the IDEA. The Stephen King book "The Stand" shook me to the core in 1980 when I first read it. Because he made it BELIEVABLE that it was POSSIBLE. That's the way I saw Red Dawn.
tvguy Wrote:http://www.ruthlessreviews.com/1190/red-dawn/

Red Dawn was the first EVER movie to be rated PG.
LMFAO

Thanks for the link. Quite the "unbiased" movie review site. I bet he loved everything Michael Moore ever made....... Laughing
http://www.ruthlessreviews.com/1763/bow ... columbine

Yup.... A self professed FAR left reviewer
http://www.ruthlessreviews.com/1899/dud ... y-country

Needless to say, I am a big fan of MooreĆ¢??s, applauded his Oscar speech,
consider myself as far Left as he does, and believe he is one of the
boldest, most original voices in pop culture today.
PLEASE consider that his review of Red Dawn is FAR from a REAL objective movie review.

And I am curious? When YOU watched it, which side were you rooting for?
Larry Wrote:
tvguy Wrote:I'll show you Larry but that was not the first thing I've read about this movie being Propaganda.

Although I admit to being FOR the Americans in the movie, (weren't YOU?) and will even admit to enjoying subliminallythe fact that it was easier for "our" side to defend themselves, MY liking the movie was based on the fact that it made a believable premise. The types of movies and books that catch my attention ussually accomplish it with the viability of the IDEA. The Stephen King book "The Stand" shook me to the core in 1980 when I first read it. Because he made it BELIEVABLE that it was POSSIBLE. That's the way I saw Red Dawn.

I guess you got something out of it I didn't, nothing wrong with that. To ME it was just dumb and absurd to believe high schoolers with hunting weapons could have ever done what they did. Plus the acting was not really the best. But I admit to liking some movies that are also dumb with not the best acting Big Grin so I'm not trying to give you a hard time... well OK maybe a little Smiling

I never though of the political aspect until now or that the premise of the movie was designed to support the NRA or Reagan's policies but it looks like it did whether is was meant to or not.
tvguy Wrote:
Larry Wrote:

Although I admit to being FOR the Americans in the movie, (weren't YOU?) and will even admit to enjoying subliminallythe fact that it was easier for "our" side to defend themselves, MY liking the movie was based on the fact that it made a believable premise. The types of movies and books that catch my attention ussually accomplish it with the viability of the IDEA. The Stephen King book "The Stand" shook me to the core in 1980 when I first read it. Because he made it BELIEVABLE that it was POSSIBLE. That's the way I saw Red Dawn.

I guess you got something out of it I didn't, nothing wrong with that. To ME it was just dumb and absurd to believe high schoolers with hunting weapons could have ever done what they did. Plus the acting was not really the best. But I admit to liking some movies that are also dumb with not the best acting Big Grin so I'm not trying to give you a hard time... well OK maybe a little Smiling

I never though of the political aspect until now or that the premise of the movie was designed to support the NRA or Reagan's policies but it looks like it did whether is was meant to or not.
Ahhh, the weapons. Althought they STARTED with their own family arsenal, the quickly aquired the automatic weapons from their enemy.
cletus1 Wrote:I saw the movie The Reader with Kate Winslet. I liked it. There was some sex and brief nudity just like in real life, nothing too bad. The movie is a little disturbing, but I give it a thumbs up.

Now I'll go check out Star Trek since it has received good reviews here.

I liked THE READER. Two thumbs up but only 3 stars.
Gotta run for the night. See ya TV.
Tia Wrote:Not new, but as my cable has gone bye bye, I am enjoying O Brother where art Thou? Love it. Leatherheads was alright too.

Liked O' BROTHER.
LEATHERHEADS, not so much.
Larry Wrote:PLEASE consider that his review of Red Dawn is FAR from a REAL objective movie review.

And I am curious? When YOU watched it, which side were you rooting for?

Larry settle the fuck down,which side? that's a silly question but I KNEW it was a movie and it would end the same no matter how I cheered. I didn't say what I posted was objective, it was simply an opinion but some of what the guy said is hard to argue with.

On another site I heard it described as a right wing fantasy film.
bbqboy Wrote:
WKYonc Wrote:
TennisMom Wrote:Since my DD and her family arrived, we've been watching quite a few Netflix programs and a few Blockbuster DVDs. Their taste doesn't always gel with ours but we are tolerant. So are they when we put our 'old fogey' stuff on. Happy

This past week, we were treated to "Mall Cop". Do yourself a favor and skip this one. :wacko:
We also got "Mongol". Not bad but very slow.
"Max Payne". Seriously, skip this one. Run, don't walk, to the nearest exit. (We only survived a half-hour of it. Blech.) :wacko:
"Taken" with Liam Neeson. So-so. Typical of the genre.
"In Bruges" was better than I thought it would be.

We've been watching a lot of British tv series. "1940s House" was excellent. Now we are into "The Cazalets", which is very engaging.

"Clatterford" is an English, quirky comedy series with Jennifer Saunders and Joanna Lumley (AbFab). It is very funny. We're waiting for the next disc to arrive at Netflix.

Are there any movies out there that don't have space aliens, man-eating zombies, loud special effects and car chases? Let me now when there are and maybe the DH and I will venture into a movie theater.

No, nothing worth going out for. We have been passing around the video of Larry and the goat, but even that gets boring after awhile.
The sequel, Larry and his Ewe of Plenty, is that rare moment when the clouds part and love is in the air. Especially poignant in reverse.

Just stumbled onto to your post. Laugh? Wet myself!
cletus1 Wrote:Who recommended the movie Taken? Come on fess up.
That movie was unremarkable. In fact it was dumb as hell.

Five movies that I liked:

A Clockwork Orange
A Beautiful Mind
2001 A Space Odyssey (for its time)
Slaughterhouse Five
Sling Blade

I'll think of more.

CLOCKWORK: Did not "like" it, but damn it was well done!
BEAUTIFUL MIND: I dunno, just felt "staged" to me.
2001: Oh yes!
SLAUGHTERHOUSE FIVE: SO good!
SLING BLADE: Billy Bob nailed it!
Rob Roy!!!!
Rob Roy!!!! another movie with Liam whatshisface... a LOT better then Taken
APPLEGATE Wrote:I mostly enjoy comedies. Here's a short list...

Raising Arizona
Soap Dish
Princess Bride
Pulp Fiction
Reservoir Dogs.................................yeah right!!

I like 'em all. Yea, RESERVOIR DOGS is a hoot. At least the scene at breakfast when "Mr Green" (or whomever) is explaining why he won't tip).
PRINCES BRIDE was okay. Okay too if I never see it again.
Don't see SOAP DISH on many lists. It was drop dead funny. Kevin Kline always good as is Sally Fields.
Larry Wrote:Comedies:

Blazing Saddles
Caveman
Monty Python / The Search For The Holy Grail
Young Frankenstein
My Fellow Americans

Drama:

Ninth Configuration
Red Dawn
The Patriot
Windtalkers
Gran Torino

Some great ones!
But CAVEMAN?
RED DAWN?
Maybe you just left the TV on too long.
Snowlover Wrote:True Lies
Last of the Mohicans
Second Hand Lion
The Color Purple
Lonesome Dove (miniseries and worth all 6 1/2 hours - 8 with commercials)

Some others have mentioned which would be high on my list are Red Dawn, Sling Blade, Saving Private Ryan, and Raising Arizona.

You and Larry should date. You both have good taste, and then stay for the second feature that turns out to be a dog.