What's in your garden?
(03-23-2017, 02:38 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(03-22-2017, 08:15 PM)Valuesize Wrote:
(03-22-2017, 04:14 PM)Juniper Wrote: I haven't been successful with fruit trees.  I had an apple tree but it got apple maggots terrible. I tried sprays but I guess I wasn't doing it right, because it never helped and the tree died young.

Protein.  Big Grin

Many years ago there was an orchard by the Expo right where the family fun center is now. I think from the road it was all pears. But on the back of the orchard by bear creek every row was a different kind of fruit tree. It was an experimental orchard or something like that.
There were no fences so I would drive my motorcycle back there. It had a plastic milk crate tied on the the back and I would load it up with several  different kinds of pears, apples, and plums. I'm pretty sure the statuette of limitation is on for a theft charge  WA ha.
 Also I used to go by  Bebe farms and grab the ripe peaches that had fallen on the ground.

Waste not, want not.  Wink
(03-22-2017, 04:14 PM)Juniper Wrote: I haven't been successful with fruit trees.  I had an apple tree but it got apple maggots terrible. I tried sprays but I guess I wasn't doing it right, because it never helped and the tree died young.

Protein.  Big Grin

Many years ago there was an orchard by the Expo right where the family fun center is now. I think from the road it was all pears. But on the back of the orchard by bear creek every row was a different kind of fruit tree. It was an experimental orchard or something like that.
There were no fences so I would drive my motorcycle back there. It had a plastic milk crate tied on the the back and I would load it up with several  different kinds of pears, apples, and plums. I'm pretty sure the statuette of limitation is on for a theft charge  WA ha.
 Also I used to go by  Bebe farms and grab the ripe peaches that had fallen on the ground.

I think that is where they were testing different pesticides. Razz
(03-23-2017, 05:21 PM)chuck white Wrote:

Protein.  Big Grin

I think that is where they were testing different pesticides. Razz

wa wa wa w a do do do dod uuu  memememem??
(03-22-2017, 08:24 PM)chuck white Wrote:

You want to spray when the tree is in  bloom. That is when the maggots land and lay eggs. You want to start watching for them everyday when the tree blooms. When you see them that's when you spray, once or twice.

Well, I followed the advice and directions I was given and never got it under control.
(03-23-2017, 07:43 PM)Juniper Wrote:

You want to spray when the tree is in  bloom. That is when the maggots land and lay eggs. You want to start watching for them everyday when the tree blooms. When you see them that's when you spray, once or twice.

Well, I followed the advice and directions I was given and never got it under control.

Also, it helps if you don't let the infested fruit, rot on the ground.
(03-23-2017, 11:21 PM)chuck white Wrote:

Right so among 87 other outdoor chores now we have to pick up rotten apples every day. Yeah that's why I don't have no stinking fruit trees. Razz

Well, I don't. I have no tree!   Laughing Laughing
(03-24-2017, 03:33 PM)Juniper Wrote:

Did that get rid of the maggots?
(03-24-2017, 07:28 PM)chuck white Wrote:
(03-24-2017, 03:33 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(03-22-2017, 08:24 PM)chuck white Wrote: You want to spray when the tree is in  bloom. That is when the maggots land and lay eggs. You want to start watching for them everyday when the tree blooms. When you see them that's when you spray, once or twice.

Did that get rid of the maggots?

Absolutely positively.
Anyone know what this is? Smells like jasmine but the flowers are different.

[Image: 005_zps5lol85ah.jpg]

[Image: 003_zps9vy6aqrj.jpg]
We got most of the veggies in and plan to add herbs to all the cinder blocks that are keeping our turtle out of the garden. The empty space is for the squash to grow into, but I may add a few more plants. 

It's been quite a few years since we've had a garden and I don't think we'll have an issue with deer but will the squirrels mess with anything? 

[Image: 001_zpsa43gnv9g.jpg]
(06-03-2017, 09:29 AM)Valuesize Wrote: Anyone know what this is? Smells like jasmine but the flowers are different.

[Image: 005_zps5lol85ah.jpg]

[Image: 003_zps9vy6aqrj.jpg]

I'm pretty sure it's honeysuckle. Yep, this is my honeysuckle. Smiling

[Image: honeysuckle_zpsfspbzzi8.jpg]
(06-03-2017, 09:39 AM)Valuesize Wrote: We got most of the veggies in and plan to add herbs to all the cinder blocks that are keeping our turtle out of the garden. The empty space is for the squash to grow into, but I may add a few more plants. 

It's been quite a few years since we've had a garden and I don't think we'll have an issue with deer but will the squirrels mess with anything? 

[Image: 001_zpsa43gnv9g.jpg]

Tree squirrels or ground squirrels?
(06-03-2017, 11:50 AM)tvguy Wrote: Tree squirrels or ground squirrels?

Tree. The reddish brown kind.
(06-03-2017, 01:00 PM)Valuesize Wrote:

I don't know what they might mess up. Probably not much and nothing like ground squirrels. Maybe ask your neighbors?

Anyway congrats on buying a home.Smiling Rent is practically throwing away money.
(06-03-2017, 01:08 PM)tvguy Wrote:

I don't know what they might mess up. Probably not much and nothing like ground squirrels. Maybe ask your neighbors?

Anyway congrats on buying a home.Smiling Rent is practically throwing away money.

Thanks. The best part is our total monthly mortgage is about $200 less than the crappy apartment would have charged us to stay where we were and $500. or more less than what we could rent a similar home.
(06-03-2017, 04:51 PM)Valuesize Wrote:
(06-03-2017, 01:08 PM)tvguy Wrote:

Thanks. The best part is our total monthly mortgage is about $200 less than the crappy apartment would have charged us to stay where we were and $500. or more less than what we could rent a similar home.

Plus, the landlord is almost always agreeable.   Smiling
Been giving the pressure washer a lot of use...

[Image: 004_zpsrjx0wdb4.jpg]
(06-03-2017, 05:16 PM)Valuesize Wrote: Been giving the pressure washer a lot of use...

[Image: 004_zpsrjx0wdb4.jpg]

Did you see my post where I said your honeysuckle was honeysuckle and I posted a picture of my honeysuckle?

Or did you pull a Wonky Razz
(06-03-2017, 05:24 PM)tvguy Wrote: Did you see my post where I said your honeysuckle was honeysuckle and I posted a picture of my honeysuckle?

Or did you pull a Wonky Razz

That would be a Wonky. So many things to do I just thought "cool, I need to get back to this later" and poof, a Wonky. Laughing Thanks for the ID! We almost had it tagged for removal, but now that it gave us some reason to keep it the little oak next to it gets saw.  Big Grin