Random question thread
Random question: What happenedConfused

As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or air bags. Our baby cots were covered with bright coloured lead-based paint. We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors, or cabinets, and when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets. (Not to mention hitchhiking to town as a young kid!)

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then rode down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running into the bushes a few times we learned to solve the problem.

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on. No one was able to reach us all day. No mobile phones. Unthinkable.

We played dodge ball and sometimes the ball would really hurt. We got cut and broke bones and broke teeth and there were no lawsuits from these accidents. They were accidents. No one was to blame but us. Remember accidents? We had fights and punched each other and got black and blue and learned to get over it.

We ate cakes, bread and butter, and drank sugary pop but we were never overweight.........we had pleasure from our food rather than worrying about what we were eating. We shared one bottle of pop with four friends, from one bottle and no one died from this?

We did not have Playstations, Nintendo 64, XBoxes, video games and all 99 channels on Sky Digital TV, video tape movies, surround sound, personal mobile phones, Personal Computers, Internet chat rooms........ we had friends. We went outside and found them.

Our actions were our own. Consequences were expected. No one to hide behind. The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke a law was unheard of. They actually sided with the law, imagine that!

I'd say there's been a huge paradigm shift.
So remember the debate we were having about 'Rednecks' and 'Good Ol Boys' and 'White Trash'? Stereotypical image posted below. (from MT)

[Image: bilde?Avis=MM&Dato=20090330&Kategori=NEW...der=0&Q=90]
Tia Wrote:So remember the debate we were having about 'Rednecks' and 'Good Ol Boys' and 'White Trash'? Stereotypical image posted below. (from MT)

Is AC/DC a "redneck" band?
If not, the guy is ruining a perfectly good t shirt.
Why are kids on bikes so stupid? We parked on a one-way street in Ashland in the correct direction. Before getting out of the car, I looked in the direction of the traffic. Nothing was coming so I opened my door. I missed some azzwhole kid by inches who was flying down the street right next to my door in the WRONG DIRECTION. He's lucky I didn't open the door a second sooner or he'd have slammed right into it. Jerk.
Does Golden Seal or Echinacea actually work? Weeeeellllll?
cletus1 Wrote:Does Golden Seal or Echinacea actually work? Weeeeellllll?

My experience says kinda sorta. You need to take echinacea with golden seal root together to get the full effects. I only took it when I was already starting to feel crappy. It made me feel better for awhile, but I still got sick everytime I tried it. It didn't seem to kill the sickness, just made me feel a little better when I took it while sick.

I don't know...I can't conclusively say yay or nay to that. I don't think it hurts. I seems to to help when taken in conjuction and with the right timing.

Next question: Do B vitamins really give you more energy?
Tia Wrote:Next question: Do B vitamins really give you more energy?

No, but it turns your pee a nice yellow color and I like my pee yellow.
cletus1 Wrote:

Coke Zero makes my pee a shade of antifreeze yellow/chartreuse.
Tia Wrote:

I don't know...I can't conclusively say yay or nay to that. I don't think it hurts. I seems to to help when taken in conjuction and with the right timing.

Next question: Do B vitamins really give you more energy?

I looked up Echinacea and I found that some reputable sources say that Echinacea does not work and rate its effects similar to placebo or no treatment. The New England Journal of Medicine published a study about clinical trials in 2005.

However, the newspaper USA Today has an article that says it is 58% effective in reducing colds. Since I hate that paper, I'm going with the no effect vote.

http://www.medpagetoday.com/PrimaryCare ... icine/1435
siskiyou Wrote:
cletus1 Wrote:

Coke Zero makes my pee a shade of antifreeze yellow/chartreuse.

Well then, I must try Coke Zero. The yellow color in pee from vitamin B can be a bit fluorescent.

Tia what do you have to offer to this discussion?
Why does Asparagus make your pee smell bad virtually the second you eat it? It's like it metabolizes in seconds.
Does a bear shit in the woods?
siskiyou Wrote:Does a bear shit in the woods?

I don't know about the bear but I do. I find it invigorating.
Is a penny saved really a penny earned?
Tia Wrote:So remember the debate we were having about 'Rednecks' and 'Good Ol Boys' and 'White Trash'? Stereotypical image posted below. (from MT)

What is White Trash, Alex.
siskiyou Wrote:Does a bear shit in the woods?

Not a polar bear.
siskiyou Wrote:Is a penny saved really a penny earned?

Don't tell anyone about the penny saved. The government will want to tax it at 90%.
siskiyou Wrote:

What is White Trash, Alex.

Laughing