Cheating wife. Need Advice
My wife is cheating.

We play Scrabble.
She uses words more obscure than an honest Texas story.

it goes like this.

Me: That's not a word. I've never heard of that word.
She: Is that a challenge?
Me: Well...no, I mean, I have just never heard of that word.
She: So, shall we get on with it or are you going to challenge an lose your turn.
Me: Well use that word in a sentence.
She: I don't have to.
Me: Well how do you even know it's a word.
She: I just do. Are you going to challenge or just shut the hell up and play?
Me: Well, I think I should know where you got that word.
She: Okay jerk-off, from the Scrabble dictionary. Happy now?
Me: That's not fair. If you can't use it in a sentence it's just a crap word.
She: So, you are going to challenge?
Me: No. But that's not fair.
She: Life's not fair. Now, challenge or play, or shut the hell up.

I think this is not fair. Like cheating.
Hmmm..... I would say that if you don't like the way she plays, then don't play with her. Or..... offer her sexual favors and in exchange she lets you win. Or..... Shut the Hell up and play. Razz
(06-23-2011, 07:25 PM)Scrapper Wrote: Hmmm..... I would say that if you don't like the way she plays, then don't play with her. Or..... offer her sexual favors and in exchange she lets you win. Or..... Shut the Hell up and play. Razz

Yea.
I'll just shut and play.
Don't know why I bother. The last time I had something more than a 3 letter word, Michael Jackson was still black.

I play scrabble to win. A proper game of scrabble requires possession of the official dictionary for scrabble (these days there's a special version for tournaments with all the naughty words included, the "family" version for public use is cleaner), otherwise you need to all agree on a dictionary to use and then you stick with that. If you use the official tournament dictionary, there are internet lists of 2 and 3 letter words, etc., that you can memorize and then beat all your neighbors because none will know all those obscure words and you can use them with glee (and, it doesn't even matter if you can use them in a sentence because you can prove them being in your dictionary so nanner nanner nanner.) Perhaps you weren't really serious about this question. I am. Smiling
(06-23-2011, 08:31 PM)PonderThis Wrote: I play scrabble to win. A proper game of scrabble requires possession of the official dictionary for scrabble (these days there's a special version for tournaments with all the naughty words included, the "family" version for public use is cleaner), otherwise you need to all agree on a dictionary to use and then you stick with that. If you use the official tournament dictionary, there are internet lists of 2 and 3 letter words, etc., that you can memorize and then beat all your neighbors because none will know all those obscure words and you can use them with glee (and, it doesn't even matter if you can use them in a sentence because you can prove them being in your dictionary so nanner nanner nanner.) Perhaps you weren't really serious about this question. I am. Smiling

I'm not sure about the sequence here Pon.

We can't look up a word while playing. We look it up only when challenged. And then we use the standard collegiate Websters.
"She who must be obeyed" has a Scrabble dictionary she studies only to get those goofy words no one uses. I refuse to look at in on moral grounds. Vocabulary should be for utility,
It would be hyperbole to say that I exaggerate the point. Razz

(06-23-2011, 08:31 PM)PonderThis Wrote: I play scrabble to win. A proper game of scrabble requires possession of the official dictionary for scrabble (these days there's a special version for tournaments with all the naughty words included, the "family" version for public use is cleaner), otherwise you need to all agree on a dictionary to use and then you stick with that. If you use the official tournament dictionary, there are internet lists of 2 and 3 letter words, etc., that you can memorize and then beat all your neighbors because none will know all those obscure words and you can use them with glee (and, it doesn't even matter if you can use them in a sentence because you can prove them being in your dictionary so nanner nanner nanner.) Perhaps you weren't really serious about this question. I am. Smiling

My late husband, a championship chess player, was impossible to play with. I had 4 times the vocabulary he did, but he worked at keeping the durn board closed up and would beat me every time. I would get so angry! He could always figure out what dominos and what Scrabble tiles I was in possesion of. It would drive me nuts. Somehow, I get the feeling you may play the same way. After all, you are a chess player also, right?

Edited to add: We didn't use dominos while playing Scrabble...he would beat me at both Scrabble AND Dominos Smiling
I haven't played anybody Scrabble in years, but when I did, I was ruthless (and I don't even know where those 7 letter words come from!) I'm the same way at chess. I can't say I am never beat at either game, but I win the majority. It's probably a personality flaw that I cannot hardly play easy, even against kids.
(06-23-2011, 09:17 PM)PonderThis Wrote: I haven't played anybody Scrabble in years, but when I did, I was ruthless (and I don't even know where those 7 letter words come from!) I'm the same way at chess. I can't say I am never beat at either game, but I win the majority. It's probably a personality flaw that I cannot hardly play easy, even against kids.

I'm that way with the card game Hearts. LOL
Our family used to have all nighters...and to this day, when I see someone dump the Ace of Hearts without knowing if someone is going to run 'em, I usually end up cutting my playing time short. Silly.
Monopoly.
I don't play with my hubby.
Ruthless.
Me?
Too nice. I want everyone to win.
Can't be. Sad
(06-23-2011, 09:36 PM)Scrapper Wrote: Monopoly.
I don't play with my hubby.
Ruthless.
Me?
Too nice. I want everyone to win.
Can't be. Sad

Smiling Mad Laughing
...one more thing.

If my wife plays Scrabble with another man, is that cheating?

Is she playing strip scrabble, or regular? Peeking at the dictionary while playing, or no? We need some details here.

[Image: 71035_111109308913979_5315412_n.jpg]
(06-24-2011, 05:40 PM)PonderThis Wrote: Is she playing strip scrabble, or regular? Peeking at the dictionary while playing, or no? We need some details here.

[Image: 71035_111109308913979_5315412_n.jpg]

She will only say that the guy not only plays scrabble better than I, but for longer, and has a much larger board.
Don't know about the dictionary.

They all say things like that. I'd want to know if her vocabulary is increasing any.
(06-24-2011, 05:52 PM)PonderThis Wrote: They all say things like that. I'd want to know if her vocabulary is increasing any.

Ding Ding Ding Ding

Good one, Ponder!!!!
LaughingLaughingLaughingLaughing
(06-24-2011, 05:52 PM)PonderThis Wrote: They all say things like that. I'd want to know if her vocabulary is increasing any.

I really haven't noticed any significant improvement in her vocabulary. She seems to have a spring in her step, and her complexion has much more color....rosy cheeks and all that.
What I don't understand is why they have to play late at night. She sometimes gets home around dawn, her hair matted and looking like she fought like hell to win the scrabble match. She has always been passionate in that way. She's like a tiger when she gets a hold of any real hard thing she want's to win at. She likes a challenge...says the harder the better.

Personally, I don't get it. I mean, hell, start playing, get right to it and if short words are all you have, so much the better. It's over faster and you can go back to reading American Rifleman or Tractor Pulling Monthly.

You may have to lower the boom on this one.

[Image: Catch-Cheating-Wife.jpg]
(06-24-2011, 08:16 PM)PonderThis Wrote: You may have to lower the boom on this one.

[Image: Catch-Cheating-Wife.jpg]

Well, it only Scrabble after all. Wink

If a person cheats at scrabble, who knows what else they would do?
(06-25-2011, 09:07 AM)PonderThis Wrote: If a person cheats at scrabble, who knows what else they would do?

OMG!

Now I get it.

She must cheat herself when doing crossword puzzles. The horror!