Longtime sex offender's move to Corvallis-area group home raises safety issues
http://www.oregonlive.com/clackamascount...ors_s.html

[Image: 9758888-small.jpg]

Excerpt: "An 88-year-old man whose history of serious sex crimes began before the attack on Pearl Harbor was recently transferred from the state mental hospital to a Corvallis-area group home.

Clackamas County prosecutors who handled the case of Louis Alfred Nemnich didn't want the repeat sex offender released from the Oregon State Hospital, but they had no say in the decision.

"We can look at his record and know all we need to know about how dangerous he is," said Chief Deputy District Attorney Greg Horner. "Our concern is that the decision may not have prioritized public safety. We don't know what factors they considered."

Police described Nemnich in 2005 as a "high-risk sexual predator" with five rape convictions in three states. His victims were listed as adult hitchhikers, prostitutes and strangers. Nemnich was first convicted of sexual assault in South Dakota in 1940 and has spent half his life in prison for violent sex crimes.

State officials said they are required to put Nemnich in the least restrictive setting that meets his mental health needs but still protects the public.

When a patient "no longer needs a high level of care ... a transition to the community (is made) as quickly as possible," said Jane-ellen Weidanz of the Oregon Health Authority's adult mental health services division.

Weidanz said privacy laws prohibit her from discussing Nemnich's case. She said he lives in a three-patient group home where staff members are on duty round-the-clock and there are alarms on all doors and windows.

Horner also said he was concerned that Nemnich's most recent victim was not notified of his release.

Weidanz said, "We're not allowed to notify anyone" because of federal privacy law.

osp.JPGView full sizeJamie Francis/The Oregonian/fileOregon State Hospital in Salem
Nemnich was charged in 2005 with abducting a woman and attempting to strangle her with a rope. At the time, he was on parole for rape. He drove the woman to a remote U.S. Forest Service road in the Estacada area. She fought him off and hid until a passing driver took her to safety.

Nemnich fled Oregon and was captured in Wyoming. His attorney questioned whether Nemnich was mentally competent to stand trial. After several evaluations at the Oregon State Hospital, a doctor concluded Nemnich was unable to assist in his own defense.

The case was dismissed because of Nemnich's incompetency, but he was confined to the state hospital because of his severe mental impairment. Nemnich still could be prosecuted for attempted murder if he was ruled competent.

In a 2008 court filing, Clackamas County prosecutor Christine Landers said there were signs that Nemnich was "likely intentionally exaggerating his symptoms in an effort to manipulate the criminal justice system into dismissing his case."

"The state is extremely concerned that if (Nemnich) is released, he will re-offend and seriously injure or murder a woman who does not suspect that he is capable of the level of violence that he has committed in the past," she said.
He's freaking 88 Laughing Who is he gonna rape that can't resist? I guess he could have a weapon. He's probably break a hip if he tried anything.

And he doesn't look like a bad fella.Razz Looks a lot like Wonky.
Did you read this part? "Nemnich was charged in 2005 with abducting a woman and attempting to strangle her with a rope. At the time, he was on parole for rape. He drove the woman to a remote U.S. Forest Service road in the Estacada area. She fought him off and hid until a passing driver took her to safety."

That was just 6 years ago.
(07-05-2011, 08:50 PM)PonderThis Wrote: Horner also said he was concerned that Nemnich's most recent victim was not notified of his release.

Weidanz said, "We're not allowed to notify anyone" because of federal privacy law.

What the hell??
Is this because of the mental status?
Crikey....

And, tv, unfortunately he's hardwired to inflict pain...I'm sure he could harm old women, children or even animals.
(07-05-2011, 09:33 PM)PonderThis Wrote: Did you read this part? "Nemnich was charged in 2005 with abducting a woman and attempting to strangle her with a rope. At the time, he was on parole for rape. He drove the woman to a remote U.S. Forest Service road in the Estacada area. She fought him off and hid until a passing driver took her to safety."

well she did fight him offBig Grin and six years is a long freaking time when it's from 82 to 88.
I mean this dude aint no Jack La lane.

Quote: And, tv, unfortunately he's hardwired to inflict pain...I'm sure he could harm old women, children or even animals.

Yeah ,You're right Smiling IMO he should be put down like an old sick dog.
I was never really a long time sex offender. Here and there, sure.
(07-05-2011, 09:45 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(07-05-2011, 09:33 PM)PonderThis Wrote: Did you read this part? "Nemnich was charged in 2005 with abducting a woman and attempting to strangle her with a rope. At the time, he was on parole for rape. He drove the woman to a remote U.S. Forest Service road in the Estacada area. She fought him off and hid until a passing driver took her to safety."

well she did fight him offBig Grin and six years is a long freaking time when it's from 82 to 88.
I mean this dude aint no Jack La lane.

Quote: And, tv, unfortunately he's hardwired to inflict pain...I'm sure he could harm old women, children or even animals.

Yeah ,You're right Smiling IMO he should be put down like an old sick dog.
Here's the paradox. Probably sex offenders get less sympathy than any other category of criminal, certainly less from me. And my instinct is that these guys should get the same penalty as murderers.

The problem? Some sex offenders do not kill. So, if we make the penalty for sex offenses top out at the same level as that for murder, you then give sex offenders more incentive to murder their victims.

(07-08-2011, 07:16 PM)publius Wrote: Here's the paradox. Probably sex offenders get less sympathy than any other category of criminal, certainly less from me. And my instinct is that these guys should get the same penalty as murderers.

The problem? Some sex offenders do not kill. So, if we make the penalty for sex offenses top out at the same level as that for murder, you then give sex offenders more incentive to murder their victims.

I never said I wanted them killed...I just want them put away forever. They get an erection when they think about children, or inflicting pain, or whatever their particular specialty. They are hardwired this way, just as heretero or homosexuals are wired their way. There is no cure...some may successfully squelch their desire, but they can't make it go away. They need to just be put away from society. IMHO.

(07-08-2011, 08:24 PM)Crone Wrote:
(07-08-2011, 07:16 PM)publius Wrote: Here's the paradox. Probably sex offenders get less sympathy than any other category of criminal, certainly less from me. And my instinct is that these guys should get the same penalty as murderers.

I never said I wanted them killed...I just want them put away forever. They get an erection when they think about children, or inflicting pain, or whatever their particular specialty. They are hardwired this way, just as heretero or homosexuals are wired their way. There is no cure...some may successfully squelch their desire, but they can't make it go away. They need to just be put away from society. IMHO.
I agree with you, Crone. That's the reason I kept saying "same penalty as for murderers", because the penalty for murder in some states IS life imprisonment.

I keep hoping that we will discover some sort of cure, but until then...?

(07-09-2011, 06:54 AM)publius Wrote:
(07-08-2011, 08:24 PM)Crone Wrote:

I agree with you, Crone. That's the reason I kept saying "same penalty as for murderers", because the penalty for murder in some states IS life imprisonment.

I keep hoping that we will discover some sort of cure, but until then...?
Voluntary castration might be an option.
(07-05-2011, 09:27 PM)tvguy Wrote: He's freaking 88 Laughing Who is he gonna rape that can't resist? I guess he could have a weapon. He's probably break a hip if he tried anything.

Does NOT look like Wonky. Looks a bit like my younger brother however.

All about money I think. The state institutions (whichever) are getting squeezed due to lack of funding. (Thanks RWB and gang: taxes are evil). So they off-load these dangerous people to places far less secure where housing is cheaper.

Lets cut taxes even more and let Charlie Manson live in a half way house. Next to Grover Norquest. Laughing I remember clearly when the Right was screaming "THREE STRIKES AND YOU'RE OUT". (In all fairness, Mr. Clinton echoed it in a State of the Union Address).

As Crone said, some folks are just hard wired to evil. Sad, but true. They can't be allowed among us.

I'm not even sure TVg should be on the loose.

(07-09-2011, 08:22 AM)Wonky Wrote:
(07-05-2011, 09:27 PM)tvguy Wrote: He's freaking 88 Laughing Who is he gonna rape that can't resist? I guess he could have a weapon. He's probably break a hip if he tried anything.

All about money I think. The state institutions (whichever) are getting squeezed due to lack of funding. (Thanks RWB and gang: taxes are evil). So they off-load these dangerous people to places far less secure where housing is cheaper.

Lets cut taxes even more and let Charlie Manson live in a half way house. Next to Grover Norquest. Laughing I remember clearly when the Right was screaming "THREE STRIKES AND YOU'RE OUT". (In all fairness, Mr. Clinton echoed it in a State of the Union Address).

As Crone said, some folks are just hard wired to evil. Sad, but true. They can't be allowed among us.

I believe with some fine tune social engineering we can solve this problem. There needs to be finely developed programs and services for criminals to get back on their feet. When someone gets out of jail they have no help whatsoever and are left to their own devices. If there was services they could access there would be a greater chance for success. Otherwise they do what they know how to do. Some agency has to lead them in the right direction.

Does NOT look like Wonky. Looks a bit like my TWIN brother however.

(07-09-2011, 08:29 AM)rainylady Wrote:

I believe with some fine tune social engineering we can solve this problem. There needs to be finely developed programs and services for criminals to get back on their feet. When someone gets out of jail they have no help whatsoever and are left to their own devices. If there was services they could access there would be a greater chance for success. Otherwise they do what they know how to do. Some agency has to lead them in the right direction.

Are you on the right freaking thread? this isn't just about criminals it's about sex offenders and NO you can't fix them or fine tune them.
Kevin Bacon starred as a sex offender in "The Woodsman"
A very painful movie to watch, but the character managed to redeem himself in the end.
It's a tough row to hoe.
What a test of faith. They must go. But throwing them to the animals isn't right. I'm not even sure throwing a murderer to them is right. The caught shouldn't be any more than that. Just caught. Not caught for sport.